Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khaled Holmes [Merge]

Irish Colt

Why not sign a cheap experienced C to be backup and start with Holmes this year? Would save a lot against the cap and if he struggled the other C would be very capable of filling in.

You didn't hear? Jeff Saturday is coming out of retirement as is Tarik Glenn......

Offseason is huge for him in regards to the starting role. He could be ready now or not nobody outside the organization knows because we've only seen like 12 snaps and the last preseason game of him.

I honestly think he will be the starter going into training camp though, his job to lose if you ask me

Sad you people totally discount Austin as our backup Center. Most Sundays the backup will probably be Donald Thomas actually.
Holmes got in a couple plays in our playoff game. One at guard and he Dominated his man. One at Center and he got down 5 yards or so and perfectly wiped out the LB.
All this Gab about going out and picking up one of these UDFA guys who finally did something in year 4 - good grief, Holmes is gonna kill.

Blame his wait where it BELONGS, the COACH & GM.

Why anybody on this board would feel comfortable appointing him the starter is beyond me.

We've barely seen the guy play in the NFL. Holmes didn't take over last year even after Satele performed so poorly that you could argue he's the worst starting center in the NFL.  Why is that? I don't know, but it sure doesn't make me excited about the prospect of Holmes starting.

Either the coaches were seriously holding out on us last year or the guy sucks.

Why anybody on this board would feel comfortable appointing him the starter is beyond me.

We've barely seen the guy play in the NFL. Holmes didn't take over last year even after Satele performed so poorly that you could argue he's the worst starting center in the NFL.  Why is that? I don't know, but it sure doesn't make me excited about the prospect of Holmes starting.

I think the coaches were giving Satele every chance possible. If not then why not start McGlynn at C last year

I think the coaches were giving Satele every chance possible. If not then why not start McGlynn at C last year

Part of me wonders if Holmes wasn't fully healthy until late last season, or maybe he wasn't quite polished enough. Time will tell.

Not sure if Holmes is starter material yet. Or whether he ever will be, for that matter.

Obviously the staff know more than we do so we'll have to wait and see how much they think Holmes is capable of this season.

You might be one of the very few who think this.....

You can look in most any thread and you'll find the same people ripping the GM and the HC for the fools that the poster thinks they are....   and what they should have done in the first place.

Posters here are MUCH smarter than the GM and HC.   And they won't be shy in telling you that.

They know much more, and there's no amount of discussion that will convince them otherwise...........    :facepalm:

Y'know, I think that Holmes more or less got a red-shirt season last year.  As a Jr. at USC, he played like a 2nd rounder (but opted to return for a Sr. season).  His Sr. year was marked by a high ankle sprain, which he played through...poorly.  So, when he got the exact same injury the week before TC started, I hypothesize that the coaching staff resolved not to play him much (if at all) his rookie season, so he could return in 2014 and compete for a starting spot.  So, while nothing about last year can be considered encouraging, I don't think it means he doesn't have a future on the team.  I also think that Austin is well liked by the coaching staff (or he wouldn't have stuck on the PS most of the year).  

However, how we play the roster this off-season is a good question.  It would seem doubtful that either Austin or Holmes will be a solid center from Day 1.  At the very least, I think we should add a Jonathan Goodwin to start right off the bat.  A good starting center like David De la Puente is a surer bet, and anything we get out of Holmes (center or guard) is gravy.   I'd play it this last way...

If they don't start Holmes now, he is a wasted pick.  Why pick up a veteran that he works under for 2 years?  So then he has one year as a starter before becoming a Free Agent?  I have to believe that Grigson drafted him with the idea he would start in his second year.  He will be stronger and more healthy.

The only problem with Holmes is that he learned from Satele and this could put his learning off a few months.  If the Colts re-sign McGlynn to be the back-up C and let Holmes start the training camp as starter.  This could be good for the team.

You might be one of the very few who think this.....

You can look in most any thread and you'll find the same people ripping the GM and the HC for the fools that the poster thinks they are....   and what they should have done in the first place.

Posters here are MUCH smarter than the GM and HC.   And they won't be shy in telling you that.

They know much more, and there's no amount of discussion that will convince them otherwise...........    :facepalm:

I try my best to ignore those posters. We have one in our midst right now telling is that Holmes is "gonna kill". What evidence he/she has to suggest that this statement is true I have no idea.

I just hope that we have a good, solid center come Week 1. I don't care whether that's Holmes, or whether it's some other guy that we signed in free agency. 

say we dont sign a FA center and we dont draft one or we do, but in the later rounds and holmes was the starter, whats the reaction here

There's a similar thread already out on this. I didn't see enough of holmes last year to have an opinion. I would be a bit concerned with that if that is in fact the plan. He doesn't have any experience in the NFL and no depth behind him. I just saw another post that quoted a news source that the Colts don't have plans to re-sign McGlynn so I almost have to think that Grigson plans on signing a veteran FA.

say we dont sign a FA center and we dont draft one or we do, but in the later rounds and holmes was the starter, whats the reaction here

My reaction would be something more than very surprised. Shocked would come close but still a little understated.

There are kids in the 6th grade who could block better than Satele. I think Holmes has a shot. He blocked pretty well when called on as a 6 Olineman during the regular season. I think I remember something saying he was our highest rated lineman in one game, I think it might have been on PFF.

I'm not ready to give up on Holmes stepping up.

Sad you people totally discount Austin as our backup Center. Most Sundays the backup will probably be Donald Thomas actually.

Holmes got in a couple plays in our playoff game. One at guard and he Dominated his man. One at Center and he got down 5 yards or so and perfectly wiped out the LB.

All this Gab about going out and picking up one of these UDFA guys who finally did something in year 4 - good grief, Holmes is gonna kill.

Blame his wait where it BELONGS, the COACH & GM.

That's a great post.

Holmes has a year under his belt. He knows the playbook, knows the calls. The job is his. Put in a serious off-season and hit camp strong.

I really do not know Austin, so I'm concerned about quality depth.

Ya, like Mike McGlynn

Really no reason McGlynn couldn't be the starter if they decide not to drop a lot of $ on a FA center. He did a solid job when he was player C last season.

If we keep him for Center depth, eventually we will suffer an injury somewhere else along the line and we'll see his lame tail in there screwing everything up again.

I'd rather dump him outright and force a new direction. Sometimes good enough is the enemy of better.

If they don't start Holmes now, he is a wasted pick.  Why pick up a veteran that he works under for 2 years?  So then he has one year as a starter before becoming a Free Agent?  I have to believe that Grigson drafted him with the idea he would start in his second year.  He will be stronger and more healthy.

Well no matter where we picked him if he can play he can play and if he sucks he sucks. I would rather waste a 4th rounder than have a terrible O-line. It would be nice if Holmes worked out but we still don't even know if Thronton is really starting material, it could be disastrous playing the 2 next to each other.

well he had a lot of potential coming out his junior year and got hurt with some nagging minor recurring injuries i think ankle sprains. he was one of our only linemen besides AC and Gosder to have a positive PFF grading (to be taken with a grain of salt due to limited play) and i saw him in on a scoring drive in the playoffs. I always looked for him and never noticed him but a couple times, but many posters say when he was in he did very well and ill take their word for it. I wouldnt say im comfortable with him starting, but im not dreading it either. We have to see if he can play sooner or later so it may as well be now. 

Thornton got ranked as the 69th rated guard with a shouldn`t be starting disclaimer. He was not close to ready.
 But that was then. He was Very quick getting out to pull but he had the vision of Mr Magoo and hit like ya mother.
 And did he Ever pick up a stunt isn`t meant to be humorous.

Holmes is listed at 6'3" 319. Hmmm! Maybe we do sign a C and Holmes turns out to be a Good Guard.
 As i said he looked strong and moved VERY well.
 And i don`t understand why Nixon at guard isn`t talked about. The guy came in and played a very good game.

The best we saw, hahaha!

If we keep him for Center depth, eventually we will suffer an injury somewhere else along the line and we'll see his lame tail in there screwing everything up again.

I'd rather dump him outright and force a new direction. Sometimes good enough is the enemy of better.

You make a good case. I was just thinking that the line play seemed better when McGlynn was in there vs Satele but that isn't saying anything so ya you're right.

The reaction will be as follows:

• When it's first announced he will be the starter the majority of fans will talk about how the Colts missed out of Mack or EDS or.... whomever.  Grigson will be accused of playing favorites with the players he drafted and Pagano will be a nice guy but not a good coach.
  • Then after the first couple of preseason games when he plays well, some fan will say maybe the FO knows what it's doing but most will insist the preseason means nothing (even Satele played well in the preseason they will say) and they are not hopeful once the season roles around.
  • Then during the season when he continues to play well people will start to notice and give the FO some praise for making the right decision.
  • At the end of the year when Holmes shows to be a good, young center, they will all claim they knew he was good and were screaming for the Colts to start him his rookie season over Satele.
  • 12 years down the road when he retires fans will talk about how he was a great center and the Colts should go out and sign some overpriced FA Center to replace him because the rookie on the roster has shown nothing to make anyone think he can be a starting center.