Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Back Jennifer Welter Makes History

GoPats

You have to admire her courage and resolve to go in there and take that kind of hit as she's probably a lot smaller then most of the players there but at the same time I'm not sure you applaud her.  

Quite frankly she sucked, and I just don't clap for someone sucking just cause they are a woman.

At most you can give her a "well you tried" sort of thing.  

At least she's actually serious. Much better than that woman who tried out at a regional combine last year. She was such a joke. I was so aggravated about that whole thing.

But back to the topic. Man, she was destroyed!

Side note: does indoor football happen around here? Because I need me some football...

Call me over-protective, but there are some people that took a serious risk to put her in harms way out there.  I admire the courage, but she could have been crippled on that last hit.  Those leagues need PR stunts to survive, but that could have gone badly.

Good for her. I still don't see women ever being seriously considered to play though. It's obvious that some can be just as passionate about football as men, so I don't know why she had to go out there and potentially hurt herself to prove it.

Good for her. I still don't see women ever being seriously considered to play though. It's obvious that some can be just as passionate about football as men, so I don't know why she had to go out there and potentially hurt herself to prove it.

It could be about skill level. I'm not sure I'm familiar with the league she had been playing for, but I've watched some videos of women's tackle football. Most of the players I saw were downright terrible. Maybe she wanted more of a challenge.

It could be about skill level. I'm not sure I'm familiar with the league she had been playing for, but I've watched some videos of women's tackle football. Most of the players I saw were downright terrible. Maybe she wanted more of a challenge.

Yeah, I could see that as a reason too. If it was a challenge she was looking for she certainly got it.

"She took a handoff from two yards out of the end zone and scampered around the left tackle. But the 5-foot-2, 130 pound Welter was met by 6-4, 245-pound defensive lineman Cedric Hearvey for a one-yard loss."

I read this and I laughed . . . And then I watched the clips and I really laughed.

Good for her, funny for me.

The real travesty here is that the coach thought someone who is 5'2" 130 lbs was his best option as a goalline back. 

That was my thought...

Obviously this was  stunt...so give her a chance to gain a yard..

Put her in at midfield..give her a pitchout or a screen pass so at least she can run for her life..

The real travesty here is that the coach thought someone who is 5'2" 130 lbs was his best option as a goalline back. 

I think they where way ahead and put her in as a PR stunt.  I think the idea was to try to give her a touchdown.  Because they handed her the ball 3 times straight from inside of 5 yards.  

The article mentioned her team won and the score differential was quite substantial.

So my guess is that it was the end of the game, they where winning and wanted to have her rush for a TD.

Might have been better off if they had had her run a short passing route.  

PR stunt though is all it is.  And props on the defender that leveled her and didn't let her just walk in cause she was a girl.  

Obvious PR stunt but my question was how come a team that was crushing the other side couldn't open up a whole for her to run through after dominating the game. Did they purposely let her get crushed? Also, why didn't the other team let her score? I mean I see it every week on sports center where a child with autism gets to shoot unguarded or run in a td unopposed....certainly the coach could have told the other team she was going to run the ball and they come to an agreement to let her score. After all it would have been a much better feel good story.

Obvious PR stunt but my question was how come a team that was crushing the other side couldn't open up a whole for her to run through after dominating the game. Did they purposely let her get crushed? Also, why didn't the other team let her score? I mean I see it every week on sports center where a child with autism gets to shoot unguarded or run in a td unopposed....certainly the coach could have told the other team she was going to run the ball and they come to an agreement to let her score. After all it would have been a much better feel good story.

I don't think a healthy woman is the same thing as a child with autism.  Besides those are usually done at practices or scrimmages within the team.  Not during competitive games.

As far as run blocking.  I don't know it's hard to say.  Who says they won the game because of dominate run blocking?  Maybe up until then their QB was slinging it all over the field.  Maybe their RB was dominate.  I mean it's not like Adrian Peterson gains all his yards because his offensive line is so dominate.  They are ok, but he's the one that's the special player.

As far as I can tell from the video it looked like in at least one of the runs they set her up so she only had one man to beat and she just couldn't beat him.  You can't block every guy on a run play, especially when you are on a smaller field like that so your RB has to beat someone.  

Reality is that if she avoids or breaks one tackle she's in the endzone.  She didn't do it.  

I don't think a healthy woman is the same thing as a child with autism.  Besides those are usually done at practices or scrimmages within the team.  Not during competitive games.

As far as run blocking.  I don't know it's hard to say.  Who says they won the game because of dominate run blocking?  Maybe up until then their QB was slinging it all over the field.  Maybe their RB was dominate.  I mean it's not like Adrian Peterson gains all his yards because his offensive line is so dominate.  They are ok, but he's the one that's the special player.

As far as I can tell from the video it looked like in at least one of the runs they set her up so she only had one man to beat and she just couldn't beat him.  You can't block every guy on a run play, especially when you are on a smaller field like that so your RB has to beat someone.  

Reality is that if she avoids or breaks one tackle she's in the endzone.  She didn't do it.  

Oh I couldn't watch it. I was just wondering. All I was saying since this was suppose to be a feel good thing....I thought the other team might let her score...I see it all the time at jr high and high school games for autistic kids etc. Usually the other team lets them score and then that team lets them score to even it and then they play on. Obviously this was done to let her live her dream to play or score in a football game and I saw it no differently...it wasn't like she could actually compete in the real sense of the word. If she was intending to compete actually then to me that was even worse PR stunt because there are 100s of more qualified individuals that should have had that opportunity. It would have been a nice jeasture to let her score is all. Clearly the game was in the bag and it would be nice to let her feel good. If it was done because she somehow legitly deserved to be on the field...I just doubt that and feel that there are so many more deserving individuals who miss out on the opportunity to play just for the teams PR stunt.

Oh I couldn't watch it. I was just wondering. All I was saying since this was suppose to be a feel good thing....I thought the other team might let her score...I see it all the time at jr high and high school games for autistic kids etc. Usually the other team lets them score and then that team lets them score to even it and then they play on. Obviously this was done to let her live her dream to play or score in a football game and I saw it no differently...it wasn't like she could actually compete in the real sense of the word. If she was intending to compete actually then to me that was even worse PR stunt because there are 100s of more qualified individuals that should have had that opportunity. It would have been a nice jeasture to let her score is all. Clearly the game was in the bag and it would be nice to let her feel good. If it was done because she somehow legitly deserved to be on the field...I just doubt that and feel that there are so many more deserving individuals who miss out on the opportunity to play just for the teams PR stunt.

If she didn't think she belonged out there, she wouldn't have been talking trash (which was a HORRIBLE decision).  She thought that, since she played linebacker and did well in an all female league, she could play with men.  You could see it clearly in the way that she attempted to be a "power" runner, even though she is 5'2" 130 lbs and 36 years old.  She had no COMPETITIVE reason to be on the field with 6'+ 250+ athletes that were playing on the other team.  It looks like the other team was OFFENDED that she was on the field, because the hits they gave her were brutal. 

I understand that she wanted to be a role model to girls around the world, but certainly some other woman could have done this better.

If they wanted a woman to be a goal line back as a feel good story, why would they put a 36 year old 130 lb one out there just to get destroyed? Are there really no bigger, younger, and fleeter-footed ones they could have used for this obvious PR stunt? I would bet Nick Mangold's sister could do alright in kind of a Refrigerator Perry role.

holleyx-large.jpg

If she didn't think she belonged out there, she wouldn't have been talking trash (which was a HORRIBLE decision).  She thought that, since she played linebacker and did well in an all female league, she could play with men.  You could see it clearly in the way that she attempted to be a "power" runner, even though she is 5'2" 130 lbs and 36 years old.  She had no COMPETITIVE reason to be on the field with 6'+ 250+ athletes that were playing on the other team.  It looks like the other team was OFFENDED that she was on the field, because the hits they gave her were brutal. 

I understand that she wanted to be a role model to girls around the world, but certainly some other woman could have done this better.

If they wanted a woman to be a goal line back as a feel good story, why would they put a 36 year old 130 lb one out there just to get destroyed? Are there really no bigger, younger, and fleeter-footed ones they could have used for this obvious PR stunt? I would bet Nick Mangold's sister could do alright in kind of a Refrigerator Perry role.

holleyx-large.jpg

Indeed..yeah I don't know what the point was...I purely thought it was some kind of PR stunt to let this girl live her dream of playing in a football game etc...I didn't know she actually thought she belonged out there....thats crazy.

Indeed..yeah I don't know what the point was...I purely thought it was some kind of PR stunt to let this girl live her dream of playing in a football game etc...I didn't know she actually thought she belonged out there....thats crazy.

I believe she said something about just wanting to prove that women can be just as passionate about the game as men. It wasn't about showing that women can actually compete with men.

Not a girl really, she's 36 years old and healthy.  We're not talking about a make a wish candidate here.

Besides I'm sure a lot of people women and men would like to be able to go out there and do something like that.

I'd love to go out there and score a touchdown in an NFL game.  Just one play, could be the easiest play in the world a QB sneak around the edge while everyone is gunning for the RB (kind of like Peyton did this last season once.)  If I did that I would get a video of that play and put it on loop in my house.  Heck I'd hang a sign with my NFL stats outside my house.  

Valpo's real life (not in Madden) NFL stats.  1 Rush for 1 yard and 1 TD.  I scored an NFL TD!

Lots of un-athletic guys like me would like to be able to say they did something like that.  Doesn't mean I should be sent in as the Colt's goal line back.  

In fact it's probably better that I'm not because I think my stats would probably look more like her stats 3 rushes for -1 yards.  And I would probably leave the stadium on a stretcher.  

Not a girl really, she's 36 years old and healthy.  We're not talking about a make a wish candidate here.

Besides I'm sure a lot of people women and men would like to be able to go out there and do something like that.

I'd love to go out there and score a touchdown in an NFL game.  Just one play, could be the easiest play in the world a QB sneak around the edge while everyone is gunning for the RB (kind of like Peyton did this last season once.)  If I did that I would get a video of that play and put it on loop in my house.  Heck I'd hang a sign with my NFL stats outside my house.  

Valpo's real life (not in Madden) NFL stats.  1 Rush for 1 yard and 1 TD.  I scored an NFL TD!

Lots of un-athletic guys like me would like to be able to say they did something like that.  Doesn't mean I should be sent in as the Colt's goal line back.  

In fact it's probably better that I'm not because I think my stats would probably look more like her stats 3 rushes for -1 yards.  And I would probably leave the stadium on a stretcher.  

It wasn't the nfl...I thought this WAS kinda of like make a fan's dream come true by letting them play...clearly she wasn't even close to being in the same league as these guys and I thought it was something of a feel good thing...so letting her score would have been nice...I've since found out she was actually trying to compete with those guys...and that was entirely rediculous...and she should never been on the field...she could have been seriously hurt...that...to me is sick on the part of the organization to let her out there.

As for any of us...no doubt we would be on sports center....and showing it over and over to our friends...even if we did get smashed.

holleyx-large.jpg

A woman, no matter how big she may be is going to get brutalized.

I remember some years ago, an accomplished female heavyweight fighter went into the ring against a mediocre man. She was supposed to be a respectable opponent for this guy. You could tell from the start, this guys wasn't enthused about fighting her. After about 15 seconds the dude threw a punch, hit her in the chest and knocked her across the ring without knocking her out. She came back at him and he looked at the ref and told him to stop the fight before the woman got hurt seriously. The ref didn't, so he knocked her across the ring again and demanded the ref stop the fight. He did.