Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better TE: Fleener or Allen

Caleb3502

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen by a mile. He's more of an all round tight end and has better hands.

Fleener has the potential to create many mismatches with his size and speed. But going over the middle i'd prefer Allen.

Plus if we still chose to go by the "power run" label, Allen is so much better because of his blocking ability. I'm happy we decided to go for 2 TE's in 2012. Both of them have the potential to get to the ability that Hernandez and Gronkowski should have had.

It's Allen and it's not close.

And Allen's hands are surely better. Look at all the passes Fleener couldn't come up with in traffic, I can assure you Allen would have caught many of them.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Fleener but Allen is just much better as of now.

I got slammed on Fleener since he only had one drop....I felt there were more too.  I said there was a fine line between a 'catchable pass' and a drop!! :)

Allen is my kind of TE.  He is physical in his blocking, has good hands, and a mean streak to run over people after the catch.  Fleener is going to benefit greatly when Allen is healthy, and the entire offense will prosper!!!  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!

If I can only pick 1 I'm going with Allen.  He's a better all around TE and blocking is very important in the traditional TE role.  They compliment each other quite well and I'm glad we have both.  If Allen can stay healthy next year I expect it to help Fleener immensely.

Hard for me to play this game, I'm glad we have both. Fleener has more athleticism IMO, but I'd take Allen because of his blocking and he seems to make catches in traffic. I always feel the judgement Fleener has faced from colts fans has been unfair.

If you could only have one of them, who would pick: Fleener or Allen.  Both put up similar numbers in seasons where they were healthy most of the year, Allen 2012 and Fleener 2013.  Allen is the better blocker but Fleener is faster and has better hands.

what!!!!!!! fleener has better hands, you must not watch fleener play before 

I got slammed on Fleener since he only had one drop....I felt there were more too.  I said there was a fine line between a 'catchable pass' and a drop!! :)

Allen is my kind of TE.  He is physical in his blocking, has good hands, and a mean streak to run over people after the catch.  Fleener is going to benefit greatly when Allen is healthy, and the entire offense will prosper!!!  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!

Fleener had only 1 or 2 "statistical" drops but he dropped many balls that he should have caught but he got hit or was in traffic so they didn't count as "statistical" drops.

Colts play two TE sets when both are playing. To say I half to pick just one over the other is a mute subject. Fleener was being run out of town up till this last season so it really shows that most fans don't have the knowledge or the ability to see the bigger picture. I hope they both can play at a high level and we can debate subjects that makes a difference. 

Allen for sure. His hands are like glue, he is real physical as a reciever and a blocker and has great run after catch ability.

Fleener is a great weapon too. Nice vertical speed, can bring down the odd spectacular catch and is still getting better.

I don't think the colts need to choose between them really. You can split Fleener out wide, have Allen in-line or as a H-back. Both of them on the field at once, with our solid stable of reciever and it's mismatch city.

Fleener had only 1 or 2 "statistical" drops but he dropped many balls that he should have caught but he got hit or was in traffic so they didn't count as "statistical" drops.

I think we are on the same page.  I saw him 'drop' passes he 'should' have caught.  "Catchable' vs Drop....

I like both TEs by the way.  I was actually one of the few that had Fleener and Allen as our picks that year.

I guess you're ok with a TE who is below average at making a contested catch. I'm not.

I like Fleener. He has the potential to be great, but he'll never get there if he continues to drop the contested ball as much as he does.

I didn't say that. I said what you wrote was nonsense

First....   my answer would be Allen,  and as people here know, I'm a Stanford fan.

Second....    I must say that I HATE threads like this.    They start fights, and over what?    A hypothetical question that we don't have to answer!

Who cares who is better?!    We have BOTH!    When used properly,  BOTH can be dangerous weapons and make our offense much harder to defend.

We should be happy that we have both.    Instead, people are ripping each other over a difference of opinion.

A complete waste of everyone's time!

Sorry....   not trying to rip the OP,  but somethings like this are just not worth it......

If it's too difficult for you to explain to me your reasoning than maybe don't respond to me. Especially, if you're going to act like a child.

Good lord guy.....you wrote one simple sentence stating something you thought was true and I called it nonsense. What the hell is there to explain?

Good lord guy.....you wrote one simple sentence stating something you thought was true and I called it nonsense. What the hell is there to explain?

So you didn't see all the contested yet catchable balls that he dropped? Balls that good TEs haul in on a regular basis he would not on a regular basis.

It is true.

So you didn't see all the contested yet catchable balls that he dropped? Balls that good TEs haul in on a regular basis he would not on a regular basis.

It is true.

No. I saw him have butterfingers last year and get called soft....yet when I asked for evidence of this no one could provide it. He may have had a couple contested drops this year, the Kiko Alonso play comes to mind, but I don't think he had "many". I just think people have a hard time getting over the impression he made last year.

No. I saw him have butterfingers last year and get called soft....yet when I asked for evidence of this no one could provide it. He may have had a couple contested drops this year, the Kiko Alonso play comes to mind, but I don't think he has "many". I just think people have a hard time getting over the impression he made last year.

That is called elaborating. Would have appreciated this response the first time rather than the run around nonesense.

I've never called Fleener soft. I've been a fan of his since day one and have defend him against the people who have called him soft, but I'm also not going to ignore a flaw I see in his game. I think his problem is his concentration and lack of faith in his own hands. There were just too many balls that hit him in the hands last year that he failed to haul in (I'm not imagining it or holding a grudge from year one because I didn't have one) but I fully believe he can fix the problem with a good offseason.

That is called elaborating. Would have appreciated this response the first time rather than the run around bull%.

I've never called Fleener soft. I've been a fan of his since day one and have defend him against the people who have called him soft. I think his problem is his concentration and lack of faith in his own hands. There were just too many balls that hit him in the hands last year that he failed to haul in (I'm not imagining it or holding a grudge from year one because I didn't have one) but I fully believe he can fix the problem with a good offseason.

It wasn't bull****. You thought he dropped many contested passes....I did not. My bad, I thought that was fairly simple.