Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans deciding between Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel

chad72

There are 3 months between now and the NFL draft. I don't care what the report says, anything is still possible.

They definitely aren't narrowing it down to two prospects in early February. This isn't a Luck/RG3 kind of draft. 

No one is a guaranteed 1st overall pick in this year's draft, which is what makes it exciting for me.

My opinion? I say go Clowney. There has been talk regarding J.J. Watt would love to help tutor a young understudy. Watt is also still young, so you'd have two young phenomenal athletes -- one with raw untapped potential learning from the other with established success. I can't predict the future, but at this point, I can predict it's the safest choice. All the other 1st overall eligible picks have too many question marks. Clowney isn't without his issues, but with J.J. Watt, he can help mitigate them. Clowney brings a rare genetic physicality that is impossible to teach, so the blueprint is already there for the Texans to make him a superstar.

No one is a guaranteed 1st overall pick in this year's draft, which is what makes it exciting for me.

My opinion? I say go Clowney. There has been talk regarding J.J. Watt would love to help tutor a young understudy. Watt is also still young, so you'd have two young phenomenal athletes -- one with raw untapped potential learning from the other with established success. I can't predict the future, but at this point, I can predict it's the safest choice. All the other 1st overall eligible picks have too many question marks. Clowney isn't without his issues, but with J.J. Watt, he can help mitigate them. Clowney brings a rare genetic physicality that is impossible to teach, so the blueprint is already there for the Texans to make him a superstar.

That really would be a scary line.

Manziel has bust written all over him. He reminds me so much of Kerry Collins it's not funny.

Bogie I agree with you a lot, but I think people forget that Collins was a solid NFL QB....unless I counted wrong...18 years in the Not For Long....amazing...over 40K yards...we saw the worst of him...here..just awful :)

http://www.nfl.com/player/kerrycollins/2500150/profile

Bortles will eventually be the best QB in this draft, but would I take him if I were the Texans?  No.  Clowney it would be.

Manziel?  I do not care for his antics, but seems to be working hard to get ready.  Texans may take him because the fans are smitten my him in Texas.  

I also would like to see Mathis and the boys hit him very hard.  :)

A lot of posturing...long way to go...and I would be surprised if they went with a qb with #1 when I don't see a franchise guy up there. I would wait til the second rd for that...not every draft has qb talent...look at last year...if you can get value out of the second rd with a qb like Bortles or Carr I go that route.

• 3 weeks later...

Manziel has reached out to Brady for pre-draft advice. Good move.

A man in demand these days, Manziel says he's relied on Tom Brady for advice during the pre-draft process.

"For him to reach back out to me after I sent a text message to him was extremely cool," Manziel said of their communication. "[it was] kind of a really funny conversation at first, [then we] worked our way into a more serious conversation."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10496614/johnny-manziel-speaks-nfl-scouting-combine

Manziel has reached out to Brady for pre-draft advice. Good move.

A man in demand these days, Manziel says he's relied on Tom Brady for advice during the pre-draft process.

"For him to reach back out to me after I sent a text message to him was extremely cool," Manziel said of their communication. "[it was] kind of a really funny conversation at first, [then we] worked our way into a more serious conversation."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10496614/johnny-manziel-speaks-nfl-scouting-combine

I hope Johnny doesn't take his combine advice of showing up pudgy and out of shape

What are you talking about? Brady was IN shape at the combine. ;)

Brady was skinny and most thought way too frail to hold up in the NFL. He obviously never could find the weight room. This , I read was the major reason he dropped all the way to round 6. He was not fat and out of shape , but he did have a bad NFL body.

In what way are manziel and collins similar?

About the only thing I can think of is they both played QB in division 1 football and Manziel should also be a high 1st round draft pick. Other than that , I can't help you as their size , stature and playing style are not similar.

Brady was skinny and most thought way too frail to hold up in the NFL. He obviously never could find the weight room. This , I read was the major reason he dropped all the way to round 6. He was not fat and out of shape , but he did have a bad NFL body.

I was joking. Perhaps you missed the ;)

I would imagine Manziel has outreached to Brady to pick his brain on Bill O'Brien. That is why I said smart move. Also does not hurt to get advice from a first ballot hall of famer too.

I was joking. Perhaps you missed the ;)

I would imagine Manziel has outreached to Brady to pick his brain on Bill O'Brien. That is why I said smart move. Also does not hurt to get advice from a first ballot hall of famer too.

Yep .. it flew right over my noggin.

Manziel is much more talented than people are gving him credit for.

I think he's talented, but he's not the second coming of Russell Wilson as he seems to think.  If you look at Wilson, he's not some little skinny stick figure like Manziel.  Wilson is fairly thick and bulky.. Manziel is a skinny kid who will get hammered if he thinks he can play that style in the NFL.

I think he's talented, but he's not the second coming of Russell Wilson as he seems to think.  If you look at Wilson, he's not some little skinny stick figure like Manziel.  Wilson is fairly thick and bulky.. Manziel is a skinny kid who will get hammered if he thinks he can play that style in the NFL.

I see what you're saying but they are basically the same weight. A little time in the weight room and discipline in the pocket can do Manziel good.

Wow. would have thought it would be between Jadeveon Clowney and Manziel. Head scratcher on Bridgewater.

Manizel in Texas would be a longshot...as they do have a defense

,,,,,anyplace else and he'll be losing and humiliated ........

He's just not an NFL-style player....what he does only works against bad,defenses..

Manizel in Texas would be a longshot...as they do have a defense

,,,,,anyplace else and he'll be losing and humiliated ........

He's just not an NFL-style player....what he does only works against bad,defenses..

He had some great games against Alabama and quite a few other big time SEC teams.