Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doesn't it tick you off....

indyagent17

To see the final four teams in the playoffs and how they have such dominate players on both sides of the ball that came from great drafting and free agency?

I only wish we had such great draft picks and free agent pickups in the last few years that could make such a difference as those four teams

Of the 30 players we have drafted only 15 remain on the team 

of the 13 players drafted in 2010-2011 only 3 are still on the team 

Lets hope for a great offseason and draft so next  year we can change the tide and contend for a title

To see the final four teams in the playoffs and how they have such dominate players on both sides of the ball that came from great drafting and free agency?

I only wish we had such great draft picks and free agent pickups in the last few years that could make such a difference as those four teams

Lets hope for a great offseason and draft so next year we can change the tide and contend for a title

Didn't the colts beat three of those four teams

Lets hope for a great offseason and draft so next  year we can change the tide and contend for a title

You should do that breakdown again, or give us the parameters you used. Grigson has only drafted 15 players. There's no sense counting players drafted by a different front office for a different coaching staff. It's like comparing Star Trek to Star Wars.

And once you figure out what percentage of Grigson's 15 are still on the roster, maybe go look at what percentage of the Seahawks drafted players are still on the roster, or the Niners, or the Pats, or the Broncos, or any other front office that fans seem to be infatuated with lately. And while you're at it, dig a little deeper and figure out how many of those drafted players actually contribute to the team's success.

A little perspective would do a lot of posters good. No front office bats 1.000. 

Some of you on this forum are so short sighted & closed minded it's really quite sad. Did we not draft/sign GOOD players in the Ryan Grigson era?

Andrew Luck 

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Ty Hilton

Da'Rick Rogers

Lavon Brazill

Griff Whalen

Jack Doyle

Vontae Davis (Basically drafted him last year given the trade scenario)

Jerrell Freeman

Bjoern Werner

Josh Chapman

Erik Walden

Josh McNary

Some of you look at Seattle & San Francisco as if they've always been top teams failing to realize just a few years ago the entire NFC west was irrelevant. Harbaugh & Carroll built those teams piece by piece just like Pagano & Grigson are doing here. You don't turn into an elite team overnight. Stop being impatient!!

:rantoff:

P.S. Also, Denver isn't even an elite team. As a whole, Denver is average. It's just Peyton who made them an offensive Juggernaut 

Some of you look at Seattle & San Francisco as if they've always been top teams failing to realize just a few years ago the entire NFC west was irrelevant. Harbaugh & Carroll built those teams piece by piece just like Pagano & Grigson are doing here. You don't turn into an elite team overnight. Stop being impatient!!

+1000

The Seahawks are two years ahead of us. The Niners are one year ahead of us (and had a much better foundation than we did, not needing to tear down). No one does this in the blink of an eye, and no one does it perfectly all the way through. 

Some of you on this forum are so short sighted & closed minded it's really quite sad. Did we not draft/sign GOOD players in the Ryan Grigson era?

Andrew Luck 

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Ty Hilton

Da'Rick Rogers

Lavon Brazill

Griff Whalen

Jack Doyle

Jerrell Freeman

Bjoern Werner

Josh Chapman

Erik Walden

Josh McNary

P.S. Also, Denver isn't even an elite team. As a whole, Denver is average. It's just Peyton who made them an offensive Juggernaut 

Got 6 of your guys who are certainly unproven, not good players yet.

lmao at you, Denver has as good of weapons as anyone since the old 49`ers. JMO

+1000

The Seahawks are two years ahead of us. The Niners are one year ahead of us (and had a much better foundation than we did, not needing to tear down). No one does this in the blink of an eye, and no one does it perfectly all the way through. 

Exactly. Patrick Willis is a 8 year (I believe) vet. But no one heard of him or Bowman until Harbaugh got there. Now 49ers fans may have but he wasn't national like he is now

I believe the Colts are heading in the right direction as far as building a competitor goes. We've beaten 3 of the 4 finalists from this past weekends games & weren't 100% healthy in any of those 3 games we played. Never had Dwayne Allen for any of the games now that I remembered 

Forum crashed on me for some reason

Exactly. Patrick Willis is a 8 year (I believe) vet. But no one heard of him or Bowman until Harbaugh got there. Now 49ers fans may have but he wasn't national like he is now

I believe the Colts are heading in the right direction as far as building a competitor goes. We've beaten 3 of the 4 finalists from this past weekends games & weren't 100% healthy in any of those 3 games we played. Never had Dwayne Allen for any of the games now that I remembered 

wonder why?

Well, Patrick Willis has been a star for a long time, to be honest. Can't agree there. And Bowman is newer, only predating Harbaugh by a year. They have talented guys, for sure.

Ummmm Willis, Bowman and the 49'ers D were great before Harbaugh got there. Even the Offense had a lot of pieces. Singletary was not a great head coach, but IMO had a lot to do with that. He even had a lot of power over personnel decisions even before there was no GM for awhile. I will say their 2007 draft was a grand slam (a year before Mike Singletary) 

I'll even say I'd love Singletary as our LB coach. 

Honestly with this sort of thing I think you are better off specifically naming the mistakes that where made.  Or at the very least players who are not performing up to what we invested in them.

Trading AQ Shipley was IMO a mistake

Werner and Richardson are not performing up to the investment we made in them.  Although it's too early to dump them.  Coby Fleener didn't do much his first year either.  

But when you do that you have to balance that with the steals that we've made.

TY Hilton

Chapman

Brazil - A minor steal for the 6th round.

Dwayne Allen

Freeman - Signed as a free agent out of the CFL for a minimum contract.  HUGE STEAL

Davis was probably a steal trading a 2nd round pick for him.

Da'Rick Rodgers and Griff Whalen may both be steals.  It just remains to be seen if they can perform next year.  I would say what we've gotten out of Whalen already makes him a minor steal.

So you have a lot more steals right now then you have mistakes and potential mistakes.  

+1000

The Niners are actually more than 1 year ahead of us. They sucked under Singltary, but had nice draft position & honestly drafted pretty well. Hargbach actually inherited a pretty good team with talent.

Honestly with this sort of thing I think you are better off specifically naming the mistakes that where made.  Or at the very least players who are not performing up to what we invested in them.

Trading AQ Shipley was IMO a mistake

Werner and Richardson are not performing up to the investment we made in them.  Although it's too early to dump them.  Coby Fleener didn't do much his first year either.  

But when you do that you have to balance that with the steals that we've made.

TY Hilton

Chapman

Brazil - A minor steal for the 6th round.

Dwayne Allen

Freeman - Signed as a free agent out of the CFL for a minimum contract.  HUGE STEAL

Davis was probably a steal trading a 2nd round pick for him.

Da'Rick Rodgers and Griff Whalen may both be steals.  It just remains to be seen if they can perform next year.  I would say what we've gotten out of Whalen already makes him a minor steal.

So you have a lot more steals right now then you have mistakes and potential mistakes.  

Wow, I have found someone that I agree with on nearly every player's evaluation. Amazing. And to answer the original post, I agree that i get frustrated from time to time seeing some impact players on other teams that I wish we had gotten. But I do think we are on a much more proactive track than we were with Polian. In the Polian years, while we were always good, there were always key areas that we could have improved on with fairly low investment. IMHO Polian missed on these role players that were out there that would have come fairly cheaply, but would be stubborn and not even sign those. Much less hugely impactful free agents. I'm glad Grigs has appeared to be totally proactive thus far. Hope it continues.

Lets hope for a great offseason and draft so next year we can change the tide and contend for a title

Hmm so the Patriots and Denver had dominant Ds????

Andrew Luck 

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Ty Hilton

Da'Rick Rogers

Lavon Brazill

Griff Whalen

Jack Doyle

Jerrell Freeman

Bjoern Werner

Josh Chapman

Erik Walden

Josh McNary

+1000

Stop with this crazy talk.  Don't you know that a GM should be able to have a probowler at every position and get a probowl starter out of every draft pick.  And then make those players win a SB every year they play. 

No team does it in a blink of an eye?  That's just silly, you should have higher expectations for the team of which you claim you are a fan.

------------ The above is sarcasm-----------------------------------------------

Not ticked off at all.  

But I also consider these numbers:  There are 200+ players in the draft each year, plus however many in supplemental drafts.  Then there are the UDFAs that teams pick up.  Training camps start with approx. 2900 players, which is cut down to active rosters totaling approx. 1700.  Rosters are constantly shifting due to injuries after the season starts.  Out of the 3000 young men hoping to make their future in the NFL each year, how many of them become household names?  How many are walking onto a field "NFL ready?"  Most of these "unknowns" are what is going to fill a roster.  Some will get better with time and make their bones doing things like special teams at first, i.e. Robert Mathis.  Some will never be more than "serviceable."

Anyway, I guess my point is that there are a lot variables that go into making up a good football team.  Players take time to develop.  Everybody isn't an immediate star nor an immediate bust.  Sometimes, you have to get all the right pieces together before individuals can make an impact.

Okay, I'm done rambling.  I'm quitting before I end up getting lost in my own babble.

Maybe Bowman, but everyone and their mother heard of Willis. As far the OP is concerned, what's there to be ticked off about considering it's only been two seasons so far of this era? We're better than most if not everyone expected in year one and in year two we were able to show it wasn't a fluke. The "reload" wasn't going to be perfect, it didn't going to give us a SB in 1-2 years, it did not send us to the AFC championship game back to back and it never really had a good shot to do so.

wtf.gif.pagespeed.ce.mUMGybTMwG.gif

If possible can you clarify this, because I have no idea where this number is coming from...What years are we talking about here?

Actually, Harbaugh did turn SF around overnight... The last year Singletary was there they (I believe) drafted top 5, and since Harbaugh has taken over they have never failed to reach the NFC Championship game...

The only reason Seattle didn't turn around overnight is because they couldn't get that much HGH into their defensive players that fast. They would have had to take injections so often even rodney harrison would be saying "wait a minute, I'm not sure that's safe..."

Patrick Willis was a 1st team all-pro as a rookie in 07', pretty sure everybody knew who he was well before Harbaugh

Andrew Luck 

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Ty Hilton

Da'Rick Rogers

Lavon Brazill

Griff Whalen

Jack Doyle

Jerrell Freeman

Bjoern Werner

Josh Chapman

Erik Walden

Josh McNary

Harbaugh did not build the 49ers defense. People forget that the current defense the 9ers have was really built by Mike Singeltary.

You should do that breakdown again, or give us the parameters you used. Grigson has only drafted 15 players. There's no sense counting players drafted by a different front office for a different coaching staff. It's like comparing Star Trek to Star Wars.

And once you figure out what percentage of Grigson's 15 are still on the roster, maybe go look at what percentage of the Seahawks drafted players are still on the roster, or the Niners, or the Pats, or the Broncos, or any other front office that fans seem to be infatuated with lately. And while you're at it, dig a little deeper and figure out how many of those drafted players actually contribute to the team's success.

A little perspective would do a lot of posters good. No front office bats 1.000. 

I was mostly comparing the 2010-2011 drafts and not putting down Grigson.

I wish you people would allow a person to post an opinion without bashing!

I was mostly comparing the 2010-2011 drafts and not putting down Grigson.

I wish you people would allow a person to post an opinion without bashing!

I'm so confused.

You post about how we should be ticked off because we haven't drafted good players, and you use some kind of formula that no one can make heads or tails of, and when you get feedback, it's labeled as "bashing"? 

riiiight.gif

Denver's roster has FAR more talent on it than the Colts.   

Why you think it's "average" is a complete mystery to me....

If Denver is below average,  then the Colts are way below average....

Come on now.....