Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Perfect Free Agency

A thread was made for the perfect draft, now here is one for your perfect free agency for our Colts.

Here is mine...

Indy cuts C Satelle, CB Toler (frees up 8 mil in cap space) Total cap space: 44 million

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2014/

Indy resigns CB Davis (7 mil per), K Vinatieri, P McAfee, DT Moala, OG Reitz, OG Link, C McGlynn

Indy signs FS Jairus Byrd (8.5 mil per), ILB Donald Butler (5 mil per), OG Jon Asamoah (4 mil per) DE Antonio Smith (3 mil per) CB Sam Shields (4.5 mil per)

Leaves us with roughly 7 million to sign draft picks

Yeah Byrd is getting more than $8.5MM. Try closer to $10MM. Shields is getting more than that $4.5MM as well.

I also don't understand wasting cap space on Mike McGlynn.

I wouldn't say that just yet. I looked on the same website as the one I posted regarding cap space and it said the highest paid safeties were both Polamalu and Berry from KC, both weren't getting over 7.5 mil per. getting 8.5 mil would make him the highest paid safety.

And McGlynn is cheap and is serviceable at C when he played there, and could be good depth.

Donald Butler is the only real possibility FA signing because of his familiarity with Manusky defense. Mcglynn probably won't make a roster next year, he's so bad no way he's coming back. You have Satele cut but no C signing with us. Grigson will definitely go after Alex Mack or Brian De La Puente. Byrd is the best FS in the league someone is gonna pay him 9-10 mil but it won't be us. Also Shields will command at least 8 mil per year and after we pay Davis, that would be too much money spent on CB's. We would be better off drafting a CB in the 2nd because Pagano can get the best out of DB's. 

Donald Butler is the only real possibility FA signing because of his familiarity with Manusky defense. Mcglynn probably won't make a roster next year, he's so bad no way he's coming back. You have Satele cut but no C signing with us. Grigson will definitely go after Alex Mack or Brian De La Puente. Byrd is the best FS in the league someone is gonna pay him 9-10 mil but it won't be us. Also Shields will command at least 8 mil per year and after we pay Davis, that would be too much money spent on CB's. We would be better off drafting a CB in the 2nd because Pagano can get the best out of DB's. 

Shields@8 mil per?!? lolwut?

I actually like McGlynn as a CENTER and only as a CENTER! I would re-sign him for the right price. If we can't get Mack, I would look at McGlynn on a one year deal as a center. I would waive Satele though.

I would resign Vontae Davis if it can be done for $6 million per year or less. A deal similar to what Sean Smith got in KC is about right. I would be willing to pay him a little more. He can be great, and he can be terrible in the SAME game. He is so inconsistent it is maddening. I would absolutely take a look at Alterraun Verner from Tennessee. He is entering his 5th year in the league and was outstanding last season.

Also, I would really consider letting McAfee go. I really feel that it is not as difficult to find a kicker who can kickoff consistently into the endzone as it used to be. He is looking at making up to $4 million per year. You can probably draft a punter with a strong leg in rounds 5-7 and save over $3 million per year.

My Ideal Free Agency

1.) Vontae Davis -- MUST be for $6 million per year or less

2.) Alterraun Verner - same stipulation but also would likely require the release of Toler

3.) Matt Slauson OG Bears - I think he would be solid and also cost less than Asomoah

4.) Jason Worilds OLB Steelers --- young guy, just touching his vast potential

5.) Julian Edelman WR Patriots - great hands and great speed

6.) Mike McGlynn - one year deal to play Center

7.) Adam Vinatieri - reasonable deal, no more than two years

Our secondary would be much better with Davis and Verner. I would rather have them and sacrifice the elite Center for a solid Center in McGlynn. I am just not sure what Slauson will command on the open market, I can't imagine it will be too rough.

Yeah, this is totally not realistic. And we still don't have a center.

But someone is going to have to answer some questions for me about Jon Asamoah. The Chiefs benched him twice this season. What's his deal?

I think he was benched in favour of Geoff Schwartz- could be due to injury, I don't think its to do with his play- it says on walterfootball that he actually placed well- just Scwhwartz played better.

A thread was made for the perfect draft, now here is one for your perfect free agency for our Colts.

Here is mine...

Indy cuts C Satelle, CB Toler (frees up 8 mil in cap space) Total cap space: 44 million

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2014/

Indy resigns CB Davis (7 mil per), K Vinatieri, P McAfee, DT Moala, OG Reitz, OG Link, C McGlynn

Indy signs FS Jairus Byrd (8.5 mil per), ILB Donald Butler (5 mil per), OG Jon Asamoah (4 mil per) DE Antonio Smith (3 mil per) CB Sam Shields (4.5 mil per)

Leaves us with roughly 7 million to sign draft picks

Byrd can get 10 million or more from Oakland. I actually think you underpaid all the free agents. And the Colts probably won't sign back Reitz unless he's an RFA. Mcglynn won't be the center and Moala sucks.

Yeah, this is totally not realistic. And we still don't have a center.

But someone is going to have to answer some questions for me about Jon Asamoah. The Chiefs benched him twice this season. What's his deal?

I think one day a while back somebody posted his name and then others saw it and all of a sudden...everybody thinks he should be an automatic signing. When your backup is playing better than your starter, more than likely, you don't want that starter. For what it's worth Asomoah's backup(Geoff Schwartz) was one of the guy's I said we should have signed last offseason.

I wouldn't say that just yet. I looked on the same website as the one I posted regarding cap space and it said the highest paid safeties were both Polamalu and Berry from KC, both weren't getting over 7.5 mil per. getting 8.5 mil would make him the highest paid safety.

And McGlynn is cheap and is serviceable at C when he played there, and could be good depth.

Yea that's just what their base salary was this year but look at their contracts though,

Polomalu has a 3 year $29.6 mil contract

Eric Berry has a 6 year $50 mil contract

I think one day a while back somebody posted his name and then others saw it and all of a sudden...everybody thinks he should be an automatic signing. When your backup is playing better than your starter, more than likely, you don't want that starter. For what it's worth Asomoah's backup(Geoff Schwartz) was one of the guy's I said we should have signed last offseason.

Coincidentally, Schwartz is a free agent as well. If I had to make a decision based on how the Chiefs have dealt with them recently, I'd definitely have him higher than Asamoah.

Just looked at the PFF ratings, which I don't take as gospel, but are enlightening especially for offensive linemen. Schwartz rates twice as high as Asamoah, with 124 fewer snaps. If you were to break their ratings down by snap, Schwartz would be at 0.0339 per snap, and Asamoah would be at 0.0117 per snap. That makes Schwartz three times as good, according to PFF, per snap.

And yet, everyone is enraptured with paying Asamoah. Despite the fact that he was benched, battled injuries, and was plain outplayed all year. 

I actually like McGlynn as a CENTER and only as a CENTER! I would re-sign him for the right price. If we can't get Mack, I would look at McGlynn on a one year deal as a center. I would waive Satele though.

I would resign Vontae Davis if it can be done for $6 million per year or less. A deal similar to what Sean Smith got in KC is about right. I would be willing to pay him a little more. He can be great, and he can be terrible in the SAME game. He is so inconsistent it is maddening. I would absolutely take a look at Alterraun Verner from Tennessee. He is entering his 5th year in the league and was outstanding last season.

Also, I would really consider letting McAfee go. I really feel that it is not as difficult to find a kicker who can kickoff consistently into the endzone as it used to be. He is looking at making up to $4 million per year. You can probably draft a punter with a strong leg in rounds 5-7 and save over $3 million per year.

My Ideal Free Agency

1.) Vontae Davis -- MUST be for $6 million per year or less

2.) Alterraun Verner - same stipulation but also would likely require the release of Toler

3.) Matt Slauson OG Bears - I think he would be solid and also cost less than Asomoah

4.) Jason Worilds OLB Steelers --- young guy, just touching his vast potential

5.) Julian Edelman WR Patriots - great hands and great speed

6.) Mike McGlynn - one year deal to play Center

7.) Adam Vinatieri - reasonable deal, no more than two years

Our secondary would be much better with Davis and Verner. I would rather have them and sacrifice the elite Center for a solid Center in McGlynn. I am just not sure what Slauson will command on the open market, I can't imagine it will be too rough.

Slauson already got an extension from the Bears

A bit drastic but

Cuts:

RJF

Toler

Satele

New Cap Space - 48.2

Signings

Brian De La Puente - 5yr/5.8m per

Jarius Byrd - 5yr/9.3m per

Arthur Jones 3/5m per

Vontae Davis - 5yr/6m per

Sam Shields - 4yr/4.5m per

Vinatieri + Mcafee - 6m per combined

Bradshaw, Sergio Brown, Gordy...other depth guys - 6.5m per combined

That leaves 5.3m to sign 2nd,3rd,5th rounder, which would leave around 3m for the season in case of trade or injury replacements.

Draft Picks (Obviously alot of this depends on other teams but the positions are where I would be looking at)

2nd - Borland, Smallwood, Or Christian Jones (Current preference in order) ILB

3rd - Donte Moncrief WR

5th - Taylor Hart DE/DT

i said the same thing about Schwartz when he went into FA from the Carolina Panthers.

Why? RJF has done exactly what he was brought in to do. Do people expect defensive players the Colts sign to be JJ Watt type players? No chance RJF gets cut, he's played well.

People still do not understand his role in the defense. They are still living in the Dungy 4-3 days and think our d-linemen are supposed to rush the QB. People need to read some documentation on a 3-4 2 gap defense and then maybe they'll understand how our DE's are supposed to play. RJF was a very good pickup and has played well.

People still do not understand his role in the defense. They are still living in the Dungy 4-3 days and think our d-linemen are supposed to rush the QB. People need to read some documentation on a 3-4 2 gap defense and then maybe they'll understand how our DE's are supposed to play. RJF was a very good pickup and has played well.

The line needs upgrading and  RJF is an ok player, but at 5.1 he is the easiest target to look for an upgrade. He would be great depth but at that price it just doesn't work.  Arthur Jones would be a great pickup to upgrade the line is my thinking.

The line needs upgrading and RJF is an ok player, but at 5.1 he is the easiest target to look for an upgrade. He would be great depth but at that price it just doesn't work. Arthur Jones would be a great pickup to upgrade the line is my thinking.

I wouldn't mind getting Jones but I would give him Redding's reps before RJF's. Redding is a great leader but he's getting a little long in the tooth and isn't as effective as he used to be.

I wouldn't mind getting Jones but I would give him Redding's reps before RJF's. Redding is a great leader but he's getting a little long in the tooth and isn't as effective as he used to be.

Yeah, I'm thinking we start cutting Redding's snaps next season. Jones is a good target, but I also like Linval Joseph, who is a better pass rusher.

and cheaper... 

hey Super... who would you suggest we get,@ Guard if you think we need one?

I doubt we get Mack big Name and too expensive for Grigs, I think Deitrich-Smith  would be more attainable... 

I'd go after a mid-level guard, someone who is willing to sign short term to compete for a spot. I think Thomas and Thornton will be penciled in as starting guards, but having some hungry veteran depth is a good idea. If Asamoah is willing to sign for one or two years, I'd take him. Other than that, I'd like to keep Reitz, who was solid when healthy. Maybe sign an older vet like Travelle Wharton or Willie Colon.

I want a center. I doubt Cleveland lets Mack walk. Deitrich-Smith and de la Puente are good options. If we can't get one of them, then I'd pencil Holmes in as the starter and use the same strategy I mentioned above at guard. Dominic Raiola and Roberto Garza are older, but solid guys. I believe Raiola is better in the run game, and Garza is better in protection.

Coincidentally, Schwartz is a free agent as well. If I had to make a decision based on how the Chiefs have dealt with them recently, I'd definitely have him higher than Asamoah.

Just looked at the PFF ratings, which I don't take as gospel, but are enlightening especially for offensive linemen. Schwartz rates twice as high as Asamoah, with 124 fewer snaps. If you were to break their ratings down by snap, Schwartz would be at 0.0339 per snap, and Asamoah would be at 0.0117 per snap. That makes Schwartz three times as good, according to PFF, per snap.

And yet, everyone is enraptured with paying Asamoah. Despite the fact that he was benched, battled injuries, and was plain outplayed all year. 

While C is the most pressing gap to fill, I think we should try to bring in a good guard either high in the draft or in FA, I haven't seen much of either of those guys play but the more I research them it does sound like Schwartz is the better of the 2. Several people have been saying we should sign Asamoah, even I was thinking that way, but that might just be group-think. I believe there's no point in bringing in a G and paying him well if he's probably not going to outplay Thorton.

I would re-sign Bradshaw. Next, I would sign Anquan Boldin. I've seen rumors that Suggs and Ngata could both potentially be available, maybe a trade for a 2015 and 2016 3rd. I would love to have those two as Colts. Lastly, I would trade the 2nd, 3rd and maybe a player for a higher pick to draft Ha'sean Clinton-Dix. I'm really curious about Khalid Holmes. I'd rather bring in less well-known linemen and continue developing the ones we have. A zone blocking scheme should also be featured more prominently.

exactly why asamoah...in any case i honestly dont see us signing any G. A center we will IMO, but not a G. i think the team will let donald and hugh be our starters next season

Yeah, I'm thinking we start cutting Redding's snaps next season. Jones is a good target, but I also like Linval Joseph, who is a better pass rusher.

didnt know Linval was available...id be happy with him

there seems be lots of DE/DT available this offseason...randy starks, linval, arthur jones, i think Lamar Houston can be a productive 3-4 DE even tough he was used as 4-3 DE on Oaklands base D. The dude is 300 pounds and is quick.

Sign LB Orapko

Sign FS Jairus Byrd 

Sign WR Jeremy Maclin or James Jone 

Sign Cornerbacks and Offensive lineman

Sign Donald Butler ILB

Sign Randy Starks or Arthur Jones

Sign C Alex Mack   

2nd pick draft Landry WR 

3rd pic draft a CB 

4th pick draft G 

5th draft OT  

6th draft NT OR DT 

7th draft CB or FS or C or G

SUPER BOWL TEAM GRIGSON TRY THIS AND I guarantee ITS A SUPERBOWL

Sign LB Orapko

Sign FS Jairus Byrd 

Sign WR Jeremy Maclin or James Jone 

Sign Cornerbacks and Offensive lineman

Sign Donald Butler ILB

Sign Randy Starks or Arthur Jones

Sign C Alex Mack   

2nd pick draft Landry WR 

3rd pic draft a CB 

4th pick draft G 

5th draft OT  

6th draft NT OR DT 

7th draft CB or FS or C or G

SUPER BOWL TEAM GRIGSON TRY THIS AND I guarantee ITS A SUPERBOWL

GRIGSON READ THIS NOW SUPERBOWL GUARANTEED THIS GUY KNOWS ALL THE ANSWERS TO FOOTBALL!!!!!!

I would love to see the Colts get Matt Slausen (OG), Alteraun Verner (CB) and MJD who I think will come at a bargain. Draft Brandon Coleman (WR out of Rutgers) in the second or third and spend the rest of the draft working on the Oline/Dline.

Bears gave Slauson 4 year extension

I agree on cutting Satele; sign a FA center, Alex Mack, if possible. Also, there are a number of FA cornerbacks:  Grimes, Rogers-Cromartie, Verner, Munnerlyn, Shields and Vontae Davis, of course.  The draft is deep in WR and we should be able to get a good one with our Round 2 pick.  The remaining weakness, IMHO, is inside linebacker.  Will there be one in Round 3? Belichick may let Spikes leave; great run stopper, bad pass defender.

exactly why asamoah...in any case i honestly dont see us signing any G. A center we will IMO, but not a G. i think the team will let donald and hugh be our starters next season

Colts are lacking quality AND depth on the Offensive Line. Thomas is coming back from a season ending injury, Thornton was inconsistent and Reitz and Linkenbach are ok if you bring them in for some snaps but not starter material. So we would be an injury away from another season with OL trouble. I wouldn't mind if the Colts trade their 2015 first round pick to get an early second rounder and draft a guy like Cyril Richardson who also played the Tackle position and sign another veteran G and C via free agency. We then could use our other 2nd rounder for a decent CB to replace injury prone Greg Toler

Colts are lacking quality AND depth on the Offensive Line. Thomas is coming back from a season ending injury, Thornton was inconsistent and Reitz and Linkenbach are ok if you bring them in for some snaps but not starter material. So we would be an injury away from another season with OL trouble. I wouldn't mind if the Colts trade their 2015 first round pick to get an early second rounder and draft a guy like Cyril Richardson who also played the Tackle position and sign another veteran G and C via free agency. We then could use our other 2nd rounder for a decent CB to replace injury prone Greg Toler

I agree we need OL depth, but we I don't think we should trade next years first... we can't just keep "borrowing" against future drafts; because eventually we won't have the cap space to make up for it in FA.  We can get a OG in FA for competition/depth.

I agree we need OL depth, but we I don't think we should trade next years first... we can't just keep "borrowing" against future drafts; because eventually we won't have the cap space to make up for it in FA.  We can get a OG in FA for competition/depth.

Thing is...We dont need to bring in competition/depth.......we have that now.....we need a definite starter