Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Perfect Free Agency

Thing is...We dont need to bring in competition/depth.......we have that now.....we need a definite starter

I agree we need a starter.  Which I think we could get in FA, and that is what we would ideally be getting from the FA guard.  But, I am also hoping that Thomas is healthy enough and Thornton has improved enough that they are able to make it a legitimate competition, so that whoever doesn't start is not a big drop off from the starters.

Colts are lacking quality AND depth on the Offensive Line. Thomas is coming back from a season ending injury, Thornton was inconsistent and Reitz and Linkenbach are ok if you bring them in for some snaps but not starter material. So we would be an injury away from another season with OL trouble. I wouldn't mind if the Colts trade their 2015 first round pick to get an early second rounder and draft a guy like Cyril Richardson who also played the Tackle position and sign another veteran G and C via free agency. We then could use our other 2nd rounder for a decent CB to replace injury prone Greg Toler

I dont have a problem with creating competition. My point is i dont see us taking a starting G in FA.

Also, if we were to resign Mcglyn and Reitz the depth would be there....our last season starters would be 2nd stringers. thats depth IMO. not great but you cant have all stars on every positon and on the bench.

Sign LB Orapko

Sign FS Jairus Byrd 

Sign WR Jeremy Maclin or James Jone 

Sign Cornerbacks and Offensive lineman

Sign Donald Butler ILB

Sign Randy Starks or Arthur Jones

Sign C Alex Mack   

2nd pick draft Landry WR 

3rd pic draft a CB 

4th pick draft G 

5th draft OT  

6th draft NT OR DT 

7th draft CB or FS or C or G

SUPER BOWL TEAM GRIGSON TRY THIS AND I guarantee ITS A SUPERBOWL

I guess there is no salary cap in football anymore with that list.

I dont have a problem with creating competition. My point is i dont see us taking a starting G in FA.

Also, if we were to resign Mcglyn and Reitz the depth would be there....our last season starters would be 2nd stringers. thats depth IMO. not great but you cant have all stars on every positon and on the bench.

Well there is all stars......and there is competant Guards, Settling for Mcglynn as a backup is not suitable depth, If you taught a couple of fat guys off the street over a course of an offseason how to play the position and taught them the blocking scheme you wouldn't get any worse play then Mcglynn...Really...He is that bad

Well there is all stars......and there is competant Guards, Settling for Mcglynn as a backup is not suitable depth, If you taught a couple of fat guys off the street over a course of an offseason how to play the position and taught them the blocking scheme you wouldn't get any worse play then Mcglynn...Really...He is that bad

lol

i think he is bad but im ok with him as depth

lol. Well, Thorton I like as the first in line on a next man up scenario. I'd rather have him be our top depth guy than a projected starter. McGlynn, I would rather have down the depth chart far enough so that it would be unlikely we'd have to resort to him.

Latest Incarnation:

Cut:

Satele

Cap: 41.5m (after Cut)

Resignings:

Bradshaw, Reitz, Gordy, Sergio, and Link  - 5M of cap space

Vinateri - 2.75 cap space (2yr/5.5m)

Mcafee - 2.4m cap space (5 yr/12m)

Davis - 5.7m cap space (5yr/28.5m)

Cap remaining - 25.6

New Offensive Signings

De Le Puente  - 5.75m cap space (4yr/23m)

Vet OG  think  Willie Colon or Chad Rinehart - 2m cap space (2yr/4m) - to push Thorton and Reitz

New Defensive Signings

Vet ILB thinking Daryl Smith - 1.5m cap space (2yr/3m) - provide leadership and competition to Mcnary and draft pick

Jarius Byrd - 8.8m cap space (5yr/44m)

Arthur Jones - 5m cap space (5yr/25m)

Cap remaining - 2.6m

The draft will eat up about 2.3m of that, but with a little back loading on the new contracts freeing up 3-5m is quite easy.  With Redding, Mathis, and Wayne coming off big contracts in the next few years the back loading shouldn't hurt to much when resigning the likes of Hilton and Luck.

In the draft I would target (position first to hard to predict players available)

2nd - CB Desir or Joyner

3rd - ILB Smallwood, Skov, Borland, or Jones (competition for Mcnary/Smith)

5th - WR Matt Hazel 

6th - DE Brent Urban

7th - OT Donald Hawkins

QB - Luck

RB - Ballard, TR, Bradshaw (That order for now, preserve Bradshaw a bit)

FB - Stanley

WR - Wayne, Hilton, Hazel / Brazil / Rogers /  Whalen (good competition behind Wayne and Hilton)

TE - Allen, Fleener

OT - GC , AC 

OG - Thomas, Thorton / Vet OG / Reitz (competition for starter opposite Thomas)

C - De Le Puente 

CB -  Davis, Toler, Butler, 2nd Rd CB / Gordy (Toler is a concern so creating depth here is important for if / when he goes down)

FS - Byrd

SS - Landry

OLB - Mathis, Werner / Walden ///// Adongo (one can hope)

ILB - Freeman, Mcnary / Vet ILB / 3rd Rd ILB (competition Mcnary seems coaches early favourite)

NT - Chapman, Hughes

DE/DT - Jones, RJF, Redding (strong rotation between those 3 with possibly Moala or vet min filling in some holes)