Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as HC [Merge]

CantBeStopped

I just don't get it... Where are these.... legends.... of his coaching ability coming from? How is the media making this crap up?

The man's time as a position/assistant coach here consisted of "Good drive Peyton. You want some water?'

He took over as a head coach here, and despite taking over a great system already in place, did nothing but make it worse than it had been in some years in consecutive years. Both the offense and the defense under his tenure languished compared to what they had previously been.

Then after he's kicked to the curb here, he goes to the Ravens and takes over as OC mid-season from a struggling cam cameron (stop me if you've heard THAT story before) and the Ravens offense goes merely from mediocre to okay and they win a Super Bowl with good team play (Good defense, and decent offense) and suddenly the rumbling for him to get another HC job begins. (I specifically believe the root of these cries came from mike florio.)

The next year, surprise, the Ravens offense sputters. Flacco and Rice have career lows across the board.

But caldwell is lauded as some kind of mastermind? Some kind of offensive genius? Some guy who is a defensive guru?

The Ravens are coming off their worst offensive season since KYLE BOLLER was their quarterback.

KYLE BOLLER.

Let that sink in.

And teams were ringing up jim caldwell's phone to hand him the reigns to the whole team?

I legit feel like I'm in bizarro world. I seriously don't get it. He's got to be the luckiest * on the face of this planet. He's been as below mediocre as can be as a coach and somehow gotten some incredible opportunities.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I to surmise that my friend MOW finds the Caldwell hire comical & not a productive one? 

Hey SW1, didn't just fall off a turnip truck yesterday more like a dunkin' doughnuts one. LOL!  

First conversion between Jim Caldwell & Ndamukong Suh:

"Hey #90, you see this? I like my nuts on an ice cream sundae not getting penalized on a drive because you were dumb enough to kick Matt Schaub there. You follow me? No more mental lapses or stupid plays which kills us on 3rd down stops. Got it!" 

IFWT-Suh-x-Schaub.jpg

The other thing that astounds me is this: Can you picture Caldwell discipling that defense & front 4 when they get unruly & out of line? I just can't see Jim cracking the whip.

Also, what is it about working for the Baltimore Ravens that lands people head coaching jobs just because you worked there? 

Marvin Lewis= Cincinnati Bengals HC

Rex Ryan= NY Jets HC

Chuck Pagano= Indianapolis Colts HC

Jim Caldwell= Detroit Lions HC

What the hades does owner Steve Bisciotti & GM Ozzie Newsome put in their water which makes NFL owners go hey he worked for Baltimore...Hire that guy as our new HC now? It's weird man. 

Other than Josh McDaniels who landed an HC job briefly in Denver, why are more people NOT peeling off BB's DC, Special team's guy, or o-line coach to run their team. Bizarre man...

Steve Bisciotti did ask Bill Belichick's opinion of John Harbaugh before he hired John off the Philadelphia Eagles Special team's spot to be the new HC in Baltimore too. 

How come Jerry Reese & the NY Giants don't get more attention too on the coordinator HC tree too? I love how the Giants are built & can DC Perry Fewell get an HC gig? Jesus...

The other thing that astounds me is this: Can you picture Caldwell discipling that defense & front 4 when they get unruly & out of line? I just can't see Jim cracking the whip.

Also, what is it about working for the Baltimore Ravens that lands people head coaching jobs just because you worked there? 

Rex Ryan= NY Jets HC

What the hades does owner Steve Bisciotti & GM Ozzie Newsome put in their water which makes NFL owners go hey he worked for Baltimore...Hire that guy as our new HC now? It's weird man. 

Other than Josh McDaniels who landed an HC job briefly in Denver, why are more people NOT peeling off BB's DC, Special team's guy, or o-line coach to run their team. Bizarre man...

Steve Bisciotti did ask Bill Belichick's opinion of John Harbaugh before he hired John off the Philadelphia Eagles Special team's spot to be the new HC in Baltimore too. 

How come Jerry Reese & the NY Giants don't get more attention too on the coordinator HC tree too? I love how the Giants are built & can DC Perry Fewell get an HC gig? Jesus...

Caldwell gets to run a football program & Fewell doesn't? Are you bleeping kidding me?! Now, that is just a darn travesty man...

Nothing against Caldwell, but come on man that's just ridiculous on some many levels it's not even funny. It's a disgrace actually.   

I've always liked Perry Fewell who was my original pick to be INDY's new HC after Jim Irsay fired Caldwell. BrentMc11 will confirm this fact if you don't believe me. Perry is my guy man & so is Rob Ryan to get HC gigs next. 

2 Supers Bowls speakk for themselevs.

He';s very highly regarded outside Indy where we blame him for 2-14 without Peyton Manning..

...Next season..Jimmy C's 3rd team goes to the playoffs

I';m happy for him..he;s a mature vet coach going to a team that needs maturity

Jim is a mature & nice man, but again can he remove the undisciplined mayhem & anarchy from that defense? I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have my reservations OUM.

But, if Jim pulls it off, I will give him full credit for exceeding my expectations. Will he be the next Pete Carroll & resurrect his NFL coaching career like Pete did going from NE to Seattle? Let's not get carried away here, but I will give Jim 3 years to change my mind, blow me away, & impress me.

You have my word OUM.  :thmup: With that much firepower on both sides of the ball, getting the Lions to win should be kittens play even for Jim. 

To all you guys bashing on Caldwell, what are your impressions of our current head coach?... Because he's turning out be Caldwell jr in my opinion. Let's not act like Andrew hasn't covered up the blemishes of an inexperienced HC the past 2 seasons in much the same way Peyton did Caldwell when they were here. Pagano might even be a little more conservative. Only difference is, Pagano is more theatric in the locker room

Congrats to Coach Caldwell. We don't get too many offensive coaches in Baltimore picked as Head Coaches, usually they are picked from the Ravens defensive coaching staff. If not for JC, the Ravens don't win in 2012.

same here.. so confused by this one. Lions fans are used to disappointment though, so we won't expect too much. 

Living in NW Ohio, I had the "pleasure" of seeing them play the Browns/Bengals/Steelers often this year and their O was so predictable. 

His big boon for success was coaching Peyton, but I think Fred Flinstone could have coached Peyton and he would be the same.

The sad truth is had he not gotten the Lions job, the word on the street was he was going to be fired by the Ravens. Biscotti , Ozzie, and Harbaugh put on a full court press to get him hired, as did Dungy and Manning. I'm not sure if Detroit got snookered or not, but we will see. Caldwell is a nice guy for whom I will always have a warm spot in my heart for helping us win a Super Bowl. Had Harbaugh stayed with Cameron, we would not have won. The next Harbaugh buddy that needs the axe is this Juan Castillo , he hired. Like Cameron, he needs to go, but Harbaugh is stubborn.

Rex Ryan= NY Jets HC

I think a lot of Baltimore guys are picked because of the sustained success. Very similar to the Parcell Giants and Bellichick Patriots. All of those teams were multiple Super Bowl winners which often get attention in a copycat league. Maybe these organizations fight harder to land their assistants jobs, I don't know ?

I just don't get it... Where are these.... legends.... of his coaching ability coming from? How is the media making this crap up?

The man's time as a position/assistant coach here consisted of "Good drive Peyton. You want some water?'

He took over as a head coach here, and despite taking over a great system already in place, did nothing but make it worse than it had been in some years in consecutive years. Both the offense and the defense under his tenure languished compared to what they had previously been.

Then after he's kicked to the curb here, he goes to the Ravens and takes over as OC mid-season from a struggling cam cameron (stop me if you've heard THAT story before) and the Ravens offense goes merely from mediocre to okay and they win a Super Bowl with good team play (Good defense, and decent offense) and suddenly the rumbling for him to get another HC job begins. (I specifically believe the root of these cries came from mike florio.)

The next year, surprise, the Ravens offense sputters. Flacco and Rice have career lows across the board.

But caldwell is lauded as some kind of mastermind? Some kind of offensive genius? Some guy who is a defensive guru?

The Ravens are coming off their worst offensive season since KYLE BOLLER was their quarterback.KYLE BOLLER.

Let that sink in.

And teams were ringing up jim caldwell's phone to hand him the reigns to the whole team?

I legit feel like I'm in bizarro world. I seriously don't get it. He's got to be the luckiest * on the face of this planet. He's been as below mediocre as can be as a coach and somehow gotten some incredible opportunities.

I get where you are coming from, but he does have 2 Super Bowl rings as an assistant, and took you guys to the 2009 Super Bowl winning a AFC Championship. It was better than some of the years when Indy failed in the playoffs. I'm not sure how Jim will do, but look how well Bellichick and Pete Carroll did the second time around. I'm not saying your argument holds no merit, or if I was Detroit, I may have made a different decision, but the guy does have some good points. And please, never bring up Kyle Boller again ! Lol

The sad truth is had he not gotten the Lions job, the word on the street was he was going to be fired by the Ravens. Biscotti , Ozzie, and Harbaugh put on a full court press to get him hired, as did Dungy and Manning. I'm not sure if Detroit got snookered or not, but we will see. Caldwell is a nice guy for whom I will always have a warm spot in my heart for helping us win a Super Bowl. Had Harbaugh stayed with Cameron, we would not have won. The next Harbaugh buddy that needs the axe is this Juan Castillo , he hired. Like Cameron, he needs to go, but Harbaugh is stubborn.

Didn't they lose their tight end, most reliable receiver, and have some oline issues? I know that they were paying Flacco like an elite QB, but was the offense dependent upon him performing like one? Sadly the unreasonable price for last years run. I read that without those safety nets experts were expecting him to have problems. Is Caldwell being blamed for the running game slipping so much?

Didn't they lose their tight end, most reliable receiver, and have some oline issues? I know that they were paying Flacco like an elite QB, but was the offense dependent upon him performing like one? Sadly the unreasonable price for last years run. I read that without those safety nets experts were expecting him to have problems. Is Caldwell being blamed for the running game slipping so much?

As I said, I don't blame him for all that other stuff that caused the offense to sputter. Many things were out of his control. I wish I could answer your question, but can only speculate . According to sources, the hiring of Juan Castillo caused a schism in the Ravens coaching staff. This was a Harbaugh hire that has turned out to be very unpopular in Baltimore. The Running Backs coach Wilbert Montgomery has already been fired, and I think Caldwell would have been next, although I think it would have been unfair. The guy that should have been fired ,Castillo, has been promoted to OL coach! He brought the zone blocking schemes to Baltimore that have been a disaster. Harbaugh is loyal to bums that are close to his father like Cameron, or a Philly buddy like Castillo. This was Billick's undoing, as he stuck with his buddy Matt Cavanaugh as OC way too long, wasting Raven Championship defenses . I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

As I said, I don't blame him for all that other stuff that caused the offense to sputter. Many things were out of his control. I wish I could answer your question, but can only speculate . According to sources, the hiring of Juan Castillo caused a schism in the Ravens coaching staff. This was a Harbaugh hire that has turned out to be very unpopular in Baltimore. The Running Backs coach Wilbert Montgomery has already been fired, and I think Caldwell would have been next, although I think it would have been unfair. The guy that should have been fired ,Castillo, has been promoted to OL coach! He brought the zone blocking schemes to Baltimore that have been a disaster. Harbaugh is loyal to bums that are close to his father like Cameron, or a Philly buddy like Castillo. This was Billick's undoing, as he stuck with his buddy Matt Cavanaugh as OC way too long, wasting Raven Championship defenses . I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Ah, that explains a lot actually. I heard a lot of Philly sports radio when there was mass anger about Castillo there. Of course the problem there was that they had bizarrely made him the DC. I got the impression that he was fine as an oline coach. But what did he coach before his recent change?

Of course changing schemes often causes problems until you can fit the right personnel in and get everyone up to speed. Maybe the backs can't handle it either. Considering how successful they were previously, I can't say that I understand it.

I get where you are coming from, but he does have 2 Super Bowl rings as an assistant, and took you guys to the 2009 Super Bowl winning a AFC Championship. It was better than some of the years when Indy failed in the playoffs. I'm not sure how Jim will do, but look how well Bellichick and Pete Carroll did the second time around. I'm not saying your argument holds no merit, or if I was Detroit, I may have made a different decision, but the guy does have some good points. And please, never bring up Kyle Boller again ! Lol

The 2009 season was a strange one. When he first took over, we became a real in your face kind of team as opposed to the conservative "Play the game and see what happens" team we were under Dungy. 

Until the Super Bowl. We were so afraid of the Saints' deep passing game, we let Brees cut us up underneath for short gains all night and didn't even try to stop him. After that, we were back to the conservative mentality that is far outdated in today's NFL.

The truth is, caldwell fell into an amazing situation. Dungy held us hostage and said he would only come back in 2008 if we appointed him the heir apparent. He took over a team that had a decent O-line, good receivers (and guys that Peyton was able to make better than they really are) and a good defense. A coaches first season on the job are usually never indicative of what he's capable of be the results good or bad. You see what he's made of starting in that second year when he starts to mold the team into his philosophies. His second year?

Our worst season in nearly 10 years.

And then in his third season, this man the media has come to claim is some offensive mastermind, couldn't win more than two games. Sure, he had injuries at QB. I'm not saying we should have contended for a playoff spot, but we should have picked up more than just 2 wins.

His job was made easy by what he inherited. Most coaches would have an easy time winning with Peyton Manning, and that pass rush duo of Freeney and Mathis that we had. In my mind, when I think about caldwell, I attribute about 20% of our 2009 season success to him.

But even still, the trend is there. Everything he gets involved in trends downward. Even going back to his sub-par record as a head coach at Wake Forrest.

The real allure of the man is his character. He's a great individual. That's why Dungy liked him so much. That's why he seemed such a natural fit to be Dungy's successor. But unfortunately, character doesn't win football games.

I wouldn't look much into his first season as a HC. I'd even go as far as to wager that just about anyone in that position that season could have gotten the same results.  

I think a lot of Baltimore guys are picked because of the sustained success. Very similar to the Parcell Giants and Bellichick Patriots. All of those teams were multiple Super Bowl winners which often get attention in a copycat league. Maybe these organizations fight harder to land their assistants jobs, I don't know ?

This!  I have no idea why anyone would be surprised Baltimore assistants get lots of HC positions.  Dungy, Parcells, Belichick, Bill Walsh, the list goes on, but any coach/team that has lots of success has lots of assistants that get head coaching positions.  Baltimore guys have better success than Belichick guys too by a pretty wide margin.

Well folks, feel free to see where some of you said this would never happen. Just goes to show......

http://forums.colts.com/topic/4497-will-jim-caldwell-ever-coach-in-the-nfl-again/?hl=%2Bjim+%2Bcaldwell

lmao FireJimCaldwell was spot on

"I would agree with this premise. Dungy helped get him this job, and will likely have to help him get another HC job. "

Congrats to him, Wish him the best

Good point Gavin. It's easy to laugh at this hire & to be honest many of us did smirk or raise an eyebrow over this move, but coaches can re-invent themselves like Pete Carroll did & Tom Coughlin did in their 2nd HC go round. 

Do I see a groundbreaking change here? No, but this season I was wrong about Chip Kelly & the success of the Philadelphia Eagles too so SW1 is more open to being shocked & pleasantly surprised next year. 

lmao FireJimCaldwell was spot on

"I would agree with this premise. Dungy helped get him this job, and will likely have to help him get another HC job. "

What's that old adage: "It's not what you know, it's who you know?" But in Caldwell's defense, Tony's connections may have helped Jim land both jobs but he still has to prove his NFL expertise on his own. 

1 person can open doors for you, but you must walk through the door & face what's on the other side of that door on your own. 

same here.. so confused by this one. Lions fans are used to disappointment though, so we won't expect too much. 

Hang in there MCF! SW1 will still be rooting for both your Bears & Lions because they are good teams & I like you as a person so if they are important NFL squads to you I will keep an eye on both of them too.  :thmup:

Well folks, feel free to see where some of you said this would never happen. Just goes to show......

http://forums.colts.com/topic/4497-will-jim-caldwell-ever-coach-in-the-nfl-again/?hl=%2Bjim+%2Bcaldwell

I didn't think any team could be that stupid. I certainly wouldn't have thought Detroit. Usually it would be Oakland or Cleveland to do something this silly.

The offense will employ the Flacco special - lob up the ball to Boldin Megatron and pray he catches it.

I can't wait to see Suh spiral out of control. More than usual, that is. Caldwell is about the furthest thing from being able to leash guys like that.

Funny, all the people on here bashing Cadlwell.  Yet it Dungy stated he thought Caldwell would make a good HC for them.  But even more important Manning, who doesn't have a dog in that hunt at all, called the Lions and made a pitch for Caldwell as well.  Kerry Collins as well.

Dungy thought he'd make a good coach for the Colts, too. 2-14 without PM.

If I were Manning I would have pitched Caldwell to the Chargers or something.

I brought this back from the dead to just say, "dont think things are etched in stone".

Just like Donald Brown will never amount to anything

Just like Mike McGlynn will be cut after last season

Just like Trent will never amount to anything

Just like Verner is a first round bust

Just like Bethea is over the hill and will be let go

Just like we gave up too much for Davis

Its just a reminder that fans...most of the time....dont know jack. Take a page from the old guy group....have a little patience.

Lions need a calm command to control those goons. Jim Caldwell fits that.

And when we hired Arians everyone was excited because he was the one who made "Manning into Manning." That isn't true, Jim Caldwell is a big reason Manning is who he is.

He is perfect for Stafford. Stafford needs to learn patience, and Jim helped Peyton with it to.

Think about it early Peyton tried to force things, and do it all himself. Luck tries to force things, and do it all himself. The similarity, Bruce Arians.

Stafford forces things a lot, and Him Caldwell will help him like he did Peyton.

Lions got the guy that fills what they want.

Funny, all the people on here bashing Cadlwell.  Yet it Dungy stated he thought Caldwell would make a good HC for them.  But even more important Manning, who doesn't have a dog in that hunt at all, called the Lions and made a pitch for Caldwell as well.  Kerry Collins as well.

This!  who on here knows Jim Caldwell, coaching, or football in general better than Dungy or Manning?

To all you guys bashing on Caldwell, what are your impressions of our current head coach?... Because he's turning out be Caldwell jr in my opinion. Let's not act like Andrew hasn't covered up the blemishes of an inexperienced HC the past 2 seasons in much the same way Peyton did Caldwell when they were here. Pagano might even be a little more conservative. Only difference is, Pagano is more theatric in the locker room

Shhhh

I've brought this up twice.  Once during the season once after. Got my head ripped off lol... Don't even enjoy voicing my opinion on Pagano lol that is how bad it is.  In no way do I say that he is trash and the reason for all failure, but man its pretty easy to see he isn't that great of HC material and his coaching duties leave a lot to be desired...

But good luck to you sir :)

FACEPALM_Dean_Winchester.gif

How is Dungy's opinion sacrosanct? I'm not a Caldwell basher, but he didn't do a good job down the stretch for the Colts, and I know that as a Colts fan. I also know that Tony Dungy was heavily involved, if not the primary reason, Caldwell was ever appointed as head coach of the Colts in the first place. Dungy endorsing Caldwell again doesn't mean that it's a good hire. Kind of makes me question the politics behind it, to be honest.

And as much as player endorsements are a positive, they don't really mean anything either. 

There's no question Caldwell is a nice guy, someone who is easy to respect as a person and even as a figurehead. I even think he deserves more credit for his football knowledge and his contributions to Manning's development. But questioning this hire is just like questioning any hire. If the Lions had hired Norv Turner, we'd be shaking our heads. If the Vikings had hired Wade Phillips, we'd be laughing. Some people are questioning the Whisenhunt hire (which I think is a good one). Caldwell has a record to stand on, and unfortunately, his record has some really low points on it. 

Hard for me to make a judgement on Caldwell.  We did go to a Super Bowl under his watch, although understandably most will attribute that to Peyton. Most of the hate comes from the 2 and 12 season, but that team had very little talent and of course no Peyton.  I will say very few if any of the draft picks selected during Caldwells time here panned out. But I don't know if I should attribute that to Caldwell or Chris Polian.  

I want to say he was bad, but I don't have enough proof.  I will say the Larry Coyer hire sucked to say the least.

I saw that one coming from a mile a way. Coyer sucked when he was in Denver, and eventually fired by Shanahan.

Hiring Caldwell could possibly work out if you surround him with a really good GM, D coordinator, and O coordinator.

FACEPALM_Dean_Winchester.gif

How is Dungy's opinion sacrosanct? I'm not a Caldwell basher, but he didn't do a good job down the stretch for the Colts, and I know that as a Colts fan. I also know that Tony Dungy was heavily involved, if not the primary reason, Caldwell was ever appointed as head coach of the Colts in the first place. Dungy endorsing Caldwell again doesn't mean that it's a good hire. Kind of makes me question the politics behind it, to be honest.

And as much as player endorsements are a positive, they don't really mean anything either. 

There's no question Caldwell is a nice guy, someone who is easy to respect as a person and even as a figurehead. I even think he deserves more credit for his football knowledge and his contributions to Manning's development. But questioning this hire is just like questioning any hire. If the Lions had hired Norv Turner, we'd be shaking our heads. If the Vikings had hired Wade Phillips, we'd be laughing. Some people are questioning the Whisenhunt hire (which I think is a good one). Caldwell has a record to stand on, and unfortunately, his record has some really low points on it. 

I'm not yeah or nay for Caldwell in my own view, but what things do you feel Caldwell lacks or lacked while here in Indy?