Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener or Allen?

Ken S.

I became really impressed and encouraged with the play of Fleener the second half of the season. Behind TY, he clearly became our second option when Wayne went down(*although Whalen came on those last few games.*) If we can get the right pieces this off season, I'm pretty sure Pep will be working on getting our run game right and probably try to ease back into the power run scheme. If that is the case, do you think Fleener will lose his starting role to the better run and pass blocking ability of Allen? Or how do you think we will use these guys together? I think we have 2 of the top 10-15 TE's on our team.

Allen should get the job. He can catch too. Didn't he get a touchdown on the play he was injured? He can be a great run blocker, and pass catcher/red zone threat.

Yes, but he doesn't have the speed that Fleener has. If Fleener gets better at route running, I think he could be much more dangerous than Allen in the passing game.

We drafted them back to back with an idea in mind.

A two-tight end set....

And that was before Pep became our OC, and he came from a place that used 2 and sometimes 3 TE's on most plays.

I see Allen as the primary guy.     But Fleener is going to be on well over 50% of the snaps.    He's a mismatch waiting to happen.

There's plenty of room (snaps) for both guys.....     this is a good problem to have,  not a bad one....

As a Fleener "hater" I'll say he played better than I thought he could....

That being said, Im not impressed. I think this is the best we will get from Fleener....Team was missing there TE, #1WR, and RBs, and Fleener still never became THE guy.....He had a nice game or 2, but with the opportunity he was given I expect more....

His last 5 games were pretty abysmal, but the Pats game....0rec vs Hou, 2-8yds vs KC, 1-25 vs Jax, 

Edit: played well in playoffs tho. 

As a Fleener "hater" I'll say he played better than I thought he could....

That being said, Im not impressed. I think this is the best we will get from Fleener....Team was missing there TE, #1WR, and RBs, and Fleener still never became THE guy.....He had a nice game or 2, but with the opportunity he was given I expect more....

His last 5 games were pretty abysmal, but the Pats game....0rec vs Hou, 2-8yds vs KC, 1-25 vs Jax, 0rec vs KC, and finally showed up v Pats 6-74....

Guess you don`t get it that Andrew throws to his primary receiver MOST of the time.

It doesn`t matter if you are open a lot, if you aren`t the target cause he isn`t looking.

He ran wide open all the time last season and this, to no avail.

Great hands, PFF`s 6 rated pass blocking TE with one fail in 40 attempts.

6 catches and about 15 yards behind the 3rd best season D Clark ever had with Manning who does see the whole field and threw very accurately.

Coby is just fine.

Yeah both, I liked allen lining up at an offset fullback last year..., and with Allen on the line fleener in the slot,.... The options are out there... Really a hit to our offense losing him this year. Allen is such a tremendous run blocker... He should get the start. But he's very versatile. Just hope he comes back 100 percent.

Guess you don`t get it that Andrew throws to his primary receiver MOST of the time.

It doesn`t matter if you are open a lot, if you aren`t the target cause he isn`t looking.

He ran wide open all the time last season and this, to no avail.

Great hands, PFF`s 6 rated pass blocking TE with one fail in 40 attempts.

6 catches and about 15 yards behind the 3rd best season D Clark ever had with Manning who does see the whole field and threw very accurately.

Coby is just fine.

Thats kinda funny, because it looks like Fleener in his 2nd year with an improved Andrew Luck, his college OC, and over half a season with only 1 other receiving option on the field, he had 7 more rec, 87 more yards, and 1 more TD, than Dwayne Allen had as a rookie.......

Fleener has improved but Allen is the best blocking TE in the league and he can catch, both will start. Allen and Fleener will be used the way that the Patriots used Gronk and Hernandez. T.Y and Wayne will be the other two starters. When we decide to go 3 or 4 wide then Whalen, Rogers, and Brazil will come in.

Thats kinda funny, because it looks like Fleener in his 2nd year with an improved Andrew Luck, his college OC, and over half a season with only 1 other receiving option on the field, he had 7 more rec, 87 more yards, and 1 more TD, than Dwayne Allen had as a rookie.......

Fleener was open quite a few times and Luck didn't hit him.  I think with another year of experience for Luck and an improved OL to give him a little more time Luck will get better at not locking onto one target as often.  I think Fleener is developing into a top notch TE.

There is nothing wrong with Fleener but we missed Allen's toughness.

Both have something to offer next season.

I think Fleener can develop into a top-notch hybrid allowing us to shift formations without substituting.  Allen should be our traditional TE.

I became really impressed and encouraged with the play of Fleener the second half of the season. Behind TY, he clearly became our second option when Wayne went down(*although Whalen came on those last few games.*) If we can get the right pieces this off season, I'm pretty sure Pep will be working on getting our run game right and probably try to ease back into the power run scheme. If that is the case, do you think Fleener will lose his starting role to the better run and pass blocking ability of Allen? Or how do you think we will use these guys together? I think we have 2 of the top 10-15 TE's on our team.

I have said last year, that Allen and Fleener is our version of Gronk and Hernandez. they both have the ability to be the best or one of the best TE duo's in the NFL. Allen is like Gronk and Fleener is like Hernandez (minus the criminal lifestyle) just hope Allen doesn't follow Gronkowski's injury stints. 

what is great is we can have both of them on the field at times with Fleener or Allen in the slot and the other at TE. 

Improved Andrew. His QBR went down. His completion % went up 6% to a whopping 60% thanks to all the short passes to his RB`s and PEP`s Offense. Kinda sad really. DHB around 42% didn`t help did it? haha!

About 9% fewer pass attempts from last year. 

Whalen & Richardson had a lot of targets the last 7 weeks, post Reggie, and combined  for about about 13% of Lucks total targets for the season.

Pep spread it around apparently more than you think. DHB had about 11% of Lucks seasonal targets. Yuck!

TY right at 24%,

Hate on fan, FleenR showed he has VG hands, blocked decently (No Allen of course) and is a fine piece of the Corp.

PEP has lots of formations and there is room for both to be important contributors.

Watching Peyton today and how he so often throws right where the ball needs to be for his receiver, man does Andrew throw a LOT of doody balls. Like that dung he threw AT Havili!! Go Colts!

Improved Andrew. His QBR went down. His completion % went up 6% to a whopping 60% thanks to all the short passes to his RB`s and PEP`s Offense. Kinda sad really. DHB around 42% didn`t help did it? haha!

About 9% fewer pass attempts from last year.

Whalen & Richardson had a lot of targets the last 7 weeks, post Reggie, and combined for about about 13% of Lucks total targets for the season.

Pep spread it around apparently more than you think. DHB had about 11% of Lucks seasonal targets. Yuck!

TY right at 24%,

Hate on fan, FleenR showed he has VG hands, blocked decently (No Allen of course) and is a fine piece of the Corp.

PEP has lots of formations and there is room for both to be important contributors.

Watching Peyton today and how he so often throws right where the ball needs to be for his receiver, man does Andrew throw a LOT of doody balls. Like that dung he threw AT Havili!! Go Colts!

Wait wait wait. You're telling me Andrew doesn't play the same or better than a seasoned HOF player?

I don't understand.

There is nothing wrong with Fleener but we missed Allen's toughness.

Both have something to offer next season.

I think Fleener can develop into a top-notch hybrid allowing us to shift formations without substituting.  Allen should be our traditional TE.

You said the key word, Allen brings toughness, something we really missed, I like what Fleener brings to the passing game, but he is a little soft and goes down with the first contact made, Allen is very hard to bring down.

Colts TE Dwayne Allen said his hip surgery ended up being more invasive than originally thought.

Allen was originally slapped with a 3-4 month timetable following his early-October procedure, but he said he's now looking at six months of rehab. He's hoping to get cleared in time for OTAs, but training camp might be more realistic. The Colts will ideally return with a two-tight end set as their base, featuring the beastly Allen in-line and Coby Fleener in the "move" spot. Allen's health is well worth tracking.

No more dabbling in the Donnie Averies and DHBs of the league, get a WR who can catch consistently, he will be worth the price.

Edelman, Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders all come to mind.

Once you have capable WRs, your TEs will get more chances to make plays. Unless you are Gronk or Graham, the WRs enable the TEs and not the other way most of the time.

The Colts will use a lot of 2 tight sets, likely splitting Fleener out wide.

If Fleener continues to improve, the sky is the limit. I would like to see him bulk up a little more. I think he can be a cross between Jimmy Graham and Greg Olson. He needs to run better routes and better time his jumps to meet the ball at its peak.

I like Dwayne Allen a lot. He reminds me so much of Alge Crumpler, who used to play for the Falcons and Patriots. Very solid.

I REALLY hope that we ditch the obsession with the power running game. That is not to say give up on running the ball, but we have the receivers to get down field.