Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If NE plays a 6-man front, it comes down to Brown

oldunclemark

Against Denver, the Patriots sat in a six-man front and dared Denver to run the ball..

They were able to put a corner on the slot receiver and blanket the Bronco outside receivers and/or the TE on different down-yardage sets

...If the Pats do that to the Colts..taking out TY Hilton and Coby..

...can Donald Brown (with help from Trent) do enough to make them pay?

Against Denver, the Patriots sat in a six-man front and dared Denver to run the ball..

They were able to put a corner on the slot receiver and blanket the Bronco outside receivers and/or the TE on different down-yardage sets

...If the Pats do that to the Colts..taking out TY Hilton and Coby..

...can Donald Brown (with help from Trent) do enough to make them pay?

If they do that, we will win 45 - 7

It's not Donald Brown or Trent Richardson's decision to make

It's will the offensive line block for them? Especially considering the fact the Pats are banged up. If we can't block a bunch of backups aside from Chandler Jones & Ninkovinch. If we can't block backups, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs

They did it against San Francisco, then I see no reason why  they can't against the patriots

Bill B. isn't going to let TY Hilton get single coverage,..not after last week..

He knows Andrew likes Coby F...and Griff....

nickel (5 back) and ijme (6 back) packages can take them away

The line is key, true..but how many tackles can we break?...how many rushing 1st downs?  How many fumbles?

It's not Donald Brown or Trent Richardson's decision to make

It's will the offensive line block for them? Especially considering the fact the Pats are banged up. If we can't block a bunch of backups aside from Chandler Jones & Ninkovinch. If we can't block backups, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs

Those backups are pretty good.. Andre Carter and Michael Buchanan are no scrubs and Sealver Siliga has been a monster in the middle lately and also has 3 sacks the last few weeks. 

Brown has that big break ability that could be key in this game for us.

He starts getting chunks (10-15) the safeties and corners will start keying in more and then a nice play action fake will do the trick.

I was rewatching the Chiefs game and on an early run from Donald, Hugh was pulling and when he went to pull he (Hugh) just stopped in the hole.  Donald ran right into his back, I guess thinking he was going to just charge through the hole to block, ya know like he is supposed to. And then you saw Donald after getting his 4 yards come back take his mouthpiece out and go right over to Hugh and say just go block what you are supposed to block.  I think it is telling that Brown is becoming a leader and we will need him to do just that if we are going to make a good run.

The Patriots 100% sold out on the run to defend the pass when they played Denver. It did work, really... Moreno had a ton of yards and the Broncos scored a bunch of early points off turnovers, but when the game opened up, Denver had to throw and they weren't all that successful with it. 

I remember a story about Belichick, as the DC of the Giants, telling his players before the NY-Buffalo Super Bowl: "If Thurman Thomas has 100 yards on the ground, you guys will win this game." The players thought he was crazy for saying it, but BB had deduced that the offense ran through Kelly and the passing game, not the run. Thomas ended up with 100+ yards and Scott Norwood missed that FG, and the Giants won.

With the way Hamilton has hammered the run game this season, persistently (and almost to a fault), I don't think Belichick's plan is going to be similar to what they did against Denver. They've also made some improvements against the run since that time. Luck is dangerous but obviously Manning had an otherworldly season in terms of production. 

The Patriots 100% sold out on the run to defend the pass when they played Denver. It did work, really... Moreno had a ton of yards and the Broncos scored a bunch of early points off turnovers, but when the game opened up, Denver had to throw and they weren't all that successful with it. 

I remember a story about Belichick, as the DC of the Giants, telling his players before the NY-Buffalo Super Bowl: "If Thurman Thomas has 100 yards on the ground, you guys will win this game." The players thought he was crazy for saying it, but BB had deduced that the offense ran through Kelly and the passing game, not the run. Thomas ended up with 100+ yards and Scott Norwood missed that FG, and the Giants won.

With the way Hamilton has hammered the run game this season, persistently (and almost to a fault), I don't think Belichick's plan is going to be similar to what they did against Denver. They've also made some improvements against the run since that time. Luck is dangerous but obviously Manning had an otherworldly season in terms of production. 

big big big difference. we're not denver and we're not gonna throw 600 times a game. you guys give us a 6 man box and we will run and not just our rbs, but luck will take off too.

big big big difference. we're not denver and we're not gonna throw 600 times a game. you guys give us a 6 man box and we will run and not just our rbs, but luck will take off too.

Well yeah, that's what I was saying. Denver's comfort zone was the passing game, and the Patriots tried to make them uncomfortable. The same doesn't apply to Indy - at least not as much. 

Personally I think Luck is going to have at least four or five good runs Saturday night. The Patriots will cover fairly well but Luck will hurt them with his legs at times. They've been burned by running QBs all season.

I don't know if I agree with your summation about the Denver game. The way I remember it is that they tried to mix in some pass plays and started turning the ball over -- there was a fumble on a pass play and then a pick, and in between was a sack/fumble that ended a drive -- and then the Pats were up 28-24. Then Moreno got hurt. Then when Denver HAD to throw the ball, Manning threw a TD to tie the game. I think Denver would have been better off just sticking with the run, and they wouldn't have helped the Pats get back in the game.

I doubt that the Colts will be up 24-0 at any point in this game. But I do think the Pats are soft up the middle, susceptible to the run, and they are susceptible to underneath passing. So if they play deep and dare the Colts to run and/or pass it short, I don't see that as a winning strategy. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't be happy about letting a team like the Colts get into a groove with their running game, which has been the missing link for the offense most of the season.

Bill B. isn't going to let TY Hilton get single coverage,..not after last week..

He knows Andrew likes Coby F...and Griff....

nickel (5 back) and ijme (6 back) packages can take them away

The line is key, true..but how many tackles can we break?...how many rushing 1st downs?  How many fumbles?

Both Trent and Donald usually are very secure with he ball.   Last Saturday was just a glitch (lets hope).

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Colts pound the ball this Saturday with a great deal of success.

They won't employ the same game plan as they used against Manning. They let Denver run all they wanted from the 20 to their 35-40...but tightened up around mid-field and with Peyton handing it off so much he was out of rythem and their timing was off. It also didn't hurt that the weather affected Peytons balls a lot. They won't let us run for 5-7 yd chunks like they just gave Denver...they will bracket TY and play straight up with everyone else. I think they try to bracket TY and then hold Luck in the pocket....they don't crash the edge...but push the pocket and collapse it on him....and maybe even shadow him with a LB. Whatever the case Belichek is a brilliant game planner...and if it doesn't work he will scrap it and alter it during the game and they likely will still win. He may not have the defensive personal he would like but they usually execute very well. It won't be easy for us...we need to protect the ball...and score TDs not FGs.

Defense needs to flip the field a couple times and cause a turnover or two as well.

Blanket/bracket/cover our receivers however you want. 

Everyone seems to forget that besides Brown and Richardson....we have a QB the size of a LB with some serious wheels. Pep needs to let the guy run as many times as the opportunity presents itself. 

Plus, the more we keep the ball on offense, the less time Brady has the ball. 

We've played against the 49'ers, Seattle, Chiefs, and some of the league's other top defenses. We've been able to put up points when needed. I think our offense is battle tested and can play any type of game.

Our defense is the key to victory. After last week's game, and a horrible first half, our defense needs to show more of a sense of urgency and come out on fire.

• 3 WR’s each single coverage (3DBs) plus Hilton double coverage (1DB)
  • Fleener single coverage (1DB)

That leaves us with 5 offensive linemen, 1 QB, and 1 RB.

That leaves them with 3 linemen and 3 linebackers (6 man front).

Luck wont be a lead blocker which means they will have positive numbers against our run game (5 blockers against 6 defenders). We have 0 linemen that will eat up a double team. Why wouldn’t this plan work for them?

What am I missing? Other than the Bronocs having Decker/Thomas/Welker/Thomas that require 5-6 players to cover.

I don't know if I agree with your summation about the Denver game. The way I remember it is that they tried to mix in some pass plays and started turning the ball over -- there was a fumble on a pass play and then a pick, and in between was a sack/fumble that ended a drive -- and then the Pats were up 28-24. Then Moreno got hurt. Then when Denver HAD to throw the ball, Manning threw a TD to tie the game. I think Denver would have been better off just sticking with the run, and they wouldn't have helped the Pats get back in the game.

I doubt that the Colts will be up 24-0 at any point in this game. But I do think the Pats are soft up the middle, susceptible to the run, and they are susceptible to underneath passing. So if they play deep and dare the Colts to run and/or pass it short, I don't see that as a winning strategy. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't be happy about letting a team like the Colts get into a groove with their running game, which has been the missing link for the offense most of the season.

There was a fumble on a screen pass (Ball, I think?) and a pick...

Man, it's amazing how the details of a game played six weeks ago are difficult to recall already. I must be getting old.  ;)

I found a recap though, Manning had 73 yards passing midway through the 4th quarter and before the game-tying drive. You could be right, I just remember hand-off after hand-off after hand-off. Which was really the smart thing to do, since the Patriots were giving it up. I mean, Moreno had a ridiculous game... gotta take that if the D is giving it. 

It is for sure a percentage game with Bill. As he scouts teams he sees what determines what helps them win the most. I don't think it is one player perse but more the tendencies so he looks to minimize the strength and make a team beat him with their weakness. So in that process something is given up that he feels over the course of the game will not get his team beat.

The Denver game is interesting as I wonder if Bill's game plan was that from that get go or if he morphed into that when the Pats turned over the ball and got down 24. I think he was almost begging Manning to run so Brady could climb back into that game.

It is for sure a percentage game with Bill. As he scouts teams he sees what determines what helps them win the most. I don't think it is one player perse but more the tendencies so he looks to minimize the strength and make a team beat him with their weakness. So in that process something is given up that he feels over the course of the game will not get his team beat.

The Denver game is interesting as I wonder if Bill's game plan was that from that get go or if he morphed into that when the Pats turned over the ball and got down 24. I think he was almost begging Manning to run so Brady could climb back into that game.

I think BB knew that Manning was going to have a little bit of a hard time in the wind (not so much the cold, but the wind). So he basically tried to take away the passing game by making it undesirable to throw and blatantly tempting Denver to just keep running it. 

I think BB knew that Manning was going to have a little bit of a hard time in the wind (not so much the cold, but the wind). So he basically tried to take away the passing game by making it undesirable to throw and blatantly tempting Denver to just keep running it. 

Yeah it was the one game where Denver abandoned their identity. How do you see the SD/Denver match up going?

If Norwood's kick is a foot to the left, BB is not so prophetic.  Clearly he is a great coach, but luck was on his side there.

Luck is on our side this time.  See what I did there?

If Norwood's kick is a foot to the left, BB is not so prophetic.  Clearly he is a great coach, but luck was on his side there.

Luck is on our side this time.  See what I did there?

For sure about that Norwood kick, no disagreement here... if I remember right though, most people thought the Bills were going to kill the Giants in that game. That was the heydey of the K-Gun.