Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If NE plays a 6-man front, it comes down to Brown

oldunclemark

Against Denver, the Patriots sat in a six-man front and dared Denver to run the ball..

They were able to put a corner on the slot receiver and blanket the Bronco outside receivers and/or the TE on different down-yardage sets

...If the Pats do that to the Colts..taking out TY Hilton and Coby..

...can Donald Brown (with help from Trent) do enough to make them pay?

The only reason that worked against Denver was because of the wind.  It helped take away the quick, short passes but beyond 8 yards between the hash and the sidelines the Denver WRs were open a ton, Manning just could not get them the ball. 

I will say this for Pep, he knows that the best way to beat an aggressive/man D is to spread them out with 3 and 4 WR sets and get rid of the ball quickly.  Moore and Manning never seemed to figure that out, their response was to bring in two TEs and leave the back in the backfield to block and the you had 2 WRs against 4 DBs and a LB or 5 DBs.  No pair of WR is going to beat that consistently.  So if the Pats line up in a 6 man front, the Colts will respond with 4 WRs/shotgun and see what happens first, Luck gets rid of the ball or the pats get to Luck.  My money would be on Luck.

There was a fumble on a screen pass (Ball, I think?) and a pick...

Man, it's amazing how the details of a game played six weeks ago are difficult to recall already. I must be getting old.  ;)

I found a recap though, Manning had 73 yards passing midway through the 4th quarter and before the game-tying drive. You could be right, I just remember hand-off after hand-off after hand-off. Which was really the smart thing to do, since the Patriots were giving it up. I mean, Moreno had a ridiculous game... gotta take that if the D is giving it. 

Yup. I'm just saying that if not for the Denver turnovers, the strategy to let them run the ball probably would have been adjusted as the game went on.

So, moving on to this upcoming game, I would love to see the Pats let the Colts run the ball. Last week was an anomaly; the Colts had the fewest turnovers of anyone in the NFL this season. I doubt that our guys will bail the Pats out with giveaways. And if we do happen to get the run game going, and have a lead at any point in the second half, I think the Pats will start paying a little more attention to the run game, at the expense of denying Hilton the ball. 

Yup. I'm just saying that if not for the Denver turnovers, the strategy to let them run the ball probably would have been adjusted as the game went on.

So, moving on to this upcoming game, I would love to see the Pats let the Colts run the ball. Last week was an anomaly; the Colts had the fewest turnovers of anyone in the NFL this season. I doubt that our guys will bail the Pats out with giveaways. And if we do happen to get the run game going, and have a lead at any point in the second half, I think the Pats will start paying a little more attention to the run game, at the expense of denying Hilton the ball. 

Yessir, read up on some of that, the Colts don't turn the ball over much and don't take a lot of penalties. Well-coached, disciplined team. So many times the Patriots win by making less mistakes than their opponent. I'm not sure they can rely on that this weekend.

I think both teams will run with some success. And I think they'll both move the ball well between the 20s. Might be how things go in the red area that settles this one. Gotta score TDs, for both sides.

Yessir, read up on some of that, the Colts don't turn the ball over much and don't take a lot of penalties. Well-coached, disciplined team. So many times the Patriots win by making less mistakes than their opponent. I'm not sure they can rely on that this weekend.

I think both teams will run with some success. And I think they'll both move the ball well between the 20s. Might be how things go in the red area that settles this one. Gotta score TDs, for both sides.

And the Pats haven't been as strong in the red zone this season. No Gronk, no Hernandez. I haven't been impressed with the Colts in the red zone either, but while that would have been a major advantage for the Pats in other seasons, I'm not sure it is at this point.

And the Pats haven't been as strong in the red zone this season. No Gronk, no Hernandez. I haven't been impressed with the Colts in the red zone either, but while that would have been a major advantage for the Pats in other seasons, I'm not sure it is at this point.

There were signs during the "Gronk-less, Part 2" period of the season where they started showing some improvement. Right around the time they got Vereen back. Red area offense is all about mismatches, and Edelman and Amendola don't really create those. They've been doing a better job of punching it in but yeah, overall, that was not a strong suit in 2013.

How about your guys? Who am I supposed to keep an eye on when Indy gets down near the goal line? Fleener? Seems like most of Hilton's TDs have been on longer throws.

I had heard that the Colts were ranked 25 in red zone defense. Not sure if that is true. I believe the Pats are higher than that but don't have time to look it up. Either way I do think chances down there will be critical.

There were signs during the "Gronk-less, Part 2" period of the season where they started showing some improvement. Right around the time they got Vereen back. Red area offense is all about mismatches, and Edelman and Amendola don't really create those. They've been doing a better job of punching it in but yeah, overall, that was not a strong suit in 2013.

How about your guys? Who am I supposed to keep an eye on when Indy gets down near the goal line? Fleener? Seems like most of Hilton's TDs have been on longer throws.

We're not that good in the red zone. We can run it in sometimes, Luck can scramble and get it in. We'll use a shovel pass or swing pass to the backs (Donald Brown scored on one of those against the Chiefs). I think Fleener should be the best weapon, but we don't succeed in getting it to him often enough; he got one against the Chiefs though. I think Whalen has a couple red zone TDs.

I do think it's a good thing that we don't have one particular go-to guy in the red zone, but I wish we were more effective scoring TDs in that area. Maybe it's a good thing, though. Belichick is good at taking one guy out of the picture, but against us, the Pats have to stay sound across the field, and keep the QB in the pocket. 

We're not that good in the red zone. We can run it in sometimes, Luck can scramble and get it in. We'll use a shovel pass or swing pass to the backs (Donald Brown scored on one of those against the Chiefs). I think Fleener should be the best weapon, but we don't succeed in getting it to him often enough; he got one against the Chiefs though. I think Whalen has a couple red zone TDs.

I do think it's a good thing that we don't have one particular go-to guy in the red zone, but I wish we were more effective scoring TDs in that area. Maybe it's a good thing, though. Belichick is good at taking one guy out of the picture, but against us, the Pats have to stay sound across the field, and keep the QB in the pocket. 

They can always run "Donald Fumble Andrew Recover Run for TD" on 3, ready, BREAK!

(That was awesome, btw. Not a lot of QBs react that way. I would have been happy if Brady had just fallen on it!)  :thmup:

I can't wait till next year when TRich blows up and all the Trent haters become lovers like what happened with Brown.

Honest to god, I pray for Bill Belichek leaving a light box for us. Keep slamming the ball straight ahead into backup DT's and then when they give up on doubling TY, air it out. Flip the switch.

They can always run "Donald Fumble Andrew Recover Run for TD" on 3, ready, BREAK!

(That was awesome, btw. Not a lot of QBs react that way. I would have been happy if Brady had just fallen on it!)  :thmup:

We call that DFARR. Pep Hamilton was holding it for the playoffs... ;)

Yeah, it was fortuitous, at the very least, that the ball bounced off Satele's head, then right back to Luck. And the hole was wide open for Luck to go rumbling in. Crazy, crazy play. Kind of reminded me of all the weird TDs on the goalline in the 2006 AFCCG. What's crazy is that Donald Brown never fumbles (seriously, he just doesn't.) 

Fitting that such a crazy play would happen in that game.

I think BB knew that Manning was going to have a little bit of a hard time in the wind (not so much the cold, but the wind). So he basically tried to take away the passing game by making it undesirable to throw and blatantly tempting Denver to just keep running it. 

It worked but it shouldn't have..it was 24-0 Denver..

That's where Indy's chances lie..a very big game by Brown or Trent./..and Brady sitting on the sideline

Don't be shocked to see some read-option from Andrew....

They have turned that around the last few weeks, punching it in often.  Especially with that 4 headed monster backfield, the best backfield in football like Tom Jackson said as far as numbers and quality of each back.  They will score once they get down there.  I think Collie, Thompkins, Edelman and Amendola can get open with the best of them when it boils down to it. 

brady and the coach did great with all the players they lost, same as us , both teams should not be where they are. look for a great game.

Interesting suggestion.  If that happens, DBrown better have a career game.  I could see that with this being possibly his last game before he inks his next deal. 

It also leads into a suggestive hunch I've been having all week,,,

I think the breakout game is coming from....

Coby Fleener!  I see shades of Dallas Clark in the 2006 AFCCG.  

So please NE, no 6 man fronts!  Make my premonition come true!

Against Denver, the Patriots sat in a six-man front and dared Denver to run the ball..

They were able to put a corner on the slot receiver and blanket the Bronco outside receivers and/or the TE on different down-yardage sets

...If the Pats do that to the Colts..taking out TY Hilton and Coby..

...can Donald Brown (with help from Trent) do enough to make them pay?

They may mix in some of that, but I don't think you can play Luck that way entirely because of his ability to run the football.  He doesn't necessarily have to pass the ball to keep the chains moving. As opposed to Peyton who is a sitting duck.  Luck can run the ball out of the pocket to keep things going himself, or he can run out of the pocket to buy some time for his WR to get open.  Everytime we go into 5 wides I don't think the Pats can continuously respond with that kind of coverage.  Luck and Pep will make them choose something else I can promise you.