Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Manning wins the Super Bowl does he retire?

amfootball

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think even if he wins it this year I think he still comes back and plays at least two more years.

He'll play to the end of his contract at least. I think that he would honor that even if he wanted to go out on a Super Bowl victory. Besides, he is a super competitive person. He will probably want to compete as long as he can do it a high level.

I would if I was him. What a way to go out. Break all the QB records and get the second ring. It would be better then what Elway did IMO.

I think if you would go look up his interview with Dan Marino yesterday on the pre-game show he was ask that same question. Sorry don't have the link but I'm sure you can find it.

Yesterday after Manning was benched when victory was assured Manning could have sat around and chewed the fat with the other players. What Manning did was immediately sit down and looked at photos of the game. He is a man that truly believes he cannot do enough. For him to retire will take a meteor hit cracking the Earth in half.

I wish he would but I really think he is enjoying playing...plus I doubt he wins it all this year....that team is just too one dimensional. They just don't have the defense to slow anyone down. I think having that year off and all the work he has put into his comeback he really enjoys the process.

Peyton has now broken the single season passing-yards and passing-TD records set by Brees and Brady, but Patriots fans can still cling to their last desperate argument that Brady is better because he has more Superbowl rings.  In the post-game interview done on the field, Peyton was asked about setting these new passing records, and his response included "....Brady will probably break the records again next year."  Clearly, their rivalry continues.  I suspect Peyton is gunning for two more SB rings before he'll consider retirement.

i don't think so. He is really close to all time tds record. He could get that next season. If he plays two more he will have the yardage record as well

Yeah if he plays next year, he'll get the all time TD record. He's at 491, Favre is at 508. Still needs another year after that to get completions and yards.

Unless Manning's health deteriorates between now and April, I doubt he retires. He has a fully guaranteed contract through next season, and two more years on his deal after that. He's playing as well as he's ever played, despite not being as capable physically. And IF the Broncos can really make some noise in the postseason, they'll be the favorites going into next year again, despite needing some tweaks here and there. I'd be shocked if he retires, even if they win the Super Bowl.

When you here Peyton talk about his injury and how much he missed football do you really think he will give it up after two seasons?

To Peyton it's not about the championships or records it's about playing a game he enjoys. I read an article once that it wasn't he was a Super Bowl champion it was about he got to play another 60 minutes of football, and now is 60 minutes better. When Peyton stops loving the game or is incapable of playing he will retire.

There's a chance Peyton goes until the wheels come off, ala Favre.

He's a lot like Favre in a way.  Won one SB, lost one SB, known for throwing crucial INTs, media worships him like a deity, does a lot of commercials, loves regular season stats.  I also don't see him retiring until he has to be dragged off the field.

He's a lot like Favre in a way.  Won one SB, lost one SB, known for throwing crucial INTs, media worships him like a deity, does a lot of commercials, loves regular season stats.  I also don't see him retiring until he has to be dragged off the field.

You just can't bear his successes or his greatness. Pathetic post.

I have always thought he and Favre were the most alike in terms of their careers like you said. That being said, Favre was a pre-Madonna tool. Peyton is class personified.

I have always thought he and Favre were the most alike in terms of their careers like you said. That being said, Favre was a pre-Madonna tool. Peyton is class personified.

I agree.  You can tell he's having fun in his commercials and not as much of a self-promoter as Favre.  Favre was a lot like a less malicious T.O., all about himself.

I would if I was him. What a way to go out. Break all the QB records and get the second ring. It would be better then what Elway did IMO.

it would be fun to ride off in the sunset with this year capped off with a SB, but my guess is that he will comeback . . .. I gotta think that he got at least two more good years left and he can only add to his legacy . . . if he gets his second ring and does not win one in the next two years, I do not think that would bother him . . . maybe if he does it when he is 40, they I would agree with you

Maybe if he hadn't gone through the whole neck thing, but I think that fueled him and made him realize that it's all going to come to an end someday. Hearing his interviews, you can tell he really missed the game when he was out that year, and he's smart enough to realize that it can't go on forever. I think he'll relish whatever he's got left and will put his all into it until that time finally comes.

Manning can't retire. He and Brady need to go out at the same time and Brady wants to play until he is 45. We'll see if Gisele lets him. ;)

Well let's see if his body even lets him play that long. His natural skill has started to diminish. He is hitting that age. You can probably count on your hands the quarterbacks who were good at 37 which Brady will be next year.

No way!  Manning is playing at the highest levels ever by a QB.  He has not regressed at all and I see him signing another contract after next year. For the next couple of years he will be stating his case for G.O.A.T.  

I think he needs another Superbowl win to cement it.

What made Favre a tool? Seems most of his past teammates love him.

What made Favre a tool? Seems most of his past teammates love him.

Not sure if that is the best judging stick. I thought his last five years were an embarrassment where he would retire and unretired then threaten to retire. And of course the whole saga where his Vikes teammates had to fly to Mississippi to beg him to come back. I loved him as a player to be honest but I think things got to him at the end where he was having a tough time retiring and realizing the game was passing him by as it does with everyone.

Perhaps guys like Manning and Brady don't get enough credit for how well they handle all that comes with stardom and the microscope they are under. I thought the way Manning handled Irsay comments prior to the Indy game was amazing. That takes so much will power to say nothing. Like I said the guy personifies class.

Not sure if that is the best judging stick. I thought his last five years were an embarrassment where he would retire and unretired then threaten to retire. And of course the whole saga where his Vikes teammates had to fly to Mississippi to beg him to come back. I loved him as a player to be honest but I think things got to him at the end where he was having a tough time retiring and realizing the game was passing him by as it does with everyone.

Perhaps guys like Manning and Brady don't get enough credit for how well they handle all that comes with stardom and the microscope they are under. I thought the way Manning handled Irsay comments prior to the Indy game was amazing. That takes so much will power to say nothing. Like I said the guy personifies class.

A 40 year old has trouble on retiring? That's it? That makes him a tool? The only tool in that saga was ESPN.

He'll play to the end of his contract at least. I think that he would honor that even if he wanted to go out on a Super Bowl victory. Besides, he is a super competitive person. He will probably want to compete as long as he can do it a high level.

I think you are right, No. 1

He signed for 5 years ..that's the deal he cut with John Elway....

and this is just 2...years......mlots of his teammates are young and in/near their prime

I'd be that  the Denver offense will be even better next season with more experience at RB and TE....and with Ryan Clady back at LT..

Good times are ahead even in the suddenly tough AFC West

I think you are right, No. 1

He signed for 5 years ..that's the deal he cut with John Elway....

and this is just 2...years......mlots of his teammates are young and in/near their prime

I'd be that  the Denver offense will be even better next season with more experience at RB and TE....and with Ryan Clady back at LT..

Good times are ahead even in the suddenly tough AFC West

No way!  Manning is playing at the highest levels ever by a QB.  He has not regressed at all and I see him signing another contract after next year. For the next couple of years he will be stating his case for G.O.A.T.  

SD.....I think Peyton is on the 2nd year of a 5-year deal..They may re-do it for cap space..but you are right....

With an all-pro left tackle coming back next year to protect him...and with 4 all-pro recivers?

.50 more TDs, 5000 more yards...is likely

..He'd have to smoke a lot of that legal weed out there in Colorado to even consider retiring

For the next couple of years he will be stating his case for G.O.A.T.

No way! If Manning wins 2 Super bowls, they'll say he needs 3. If he did that, they'd say he needs 4. There is a sick need to prop Peyton up when he achieves milestones and then knock him down again.