Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stadium Noise: Unfortunate acoustics or lazy fans?

ricker182

You followed up a bad post with a worse one. Both statements are once again just simply uninformed and frankly just silly.

:scratch: So your questioning that I watch Colts games on tv according to your assessment of my 1. post.......Next your questioning my .2 assesment that some fans will just go to see a big name player on the team (Luck..Wayne)

Nothing silly about facts...I never once said all fans go for those reasons

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:scratch: So your questioning that I watch Colts games on tv according to your assessment of my 1. post.......Next your questioning my .2 assesment that some fans will just go to see a big name player on the team (Luck..Wayne)

Nothing silly about facts...I never once said all fans go for those reasons

Not questioning that you watch games (and as you tell us, the all 22) but just questioning your ability to tell why people are at the game.

1.Im sure there is a difference then me watching on tv rather then going to the game but still you can see many fans on camera  as it scans the crowd and takes shots of the crowd that are sitting there seemingly trying to figure out whats going on

2.No its not..... many fans go to colts football games and cant tell you the difference in a First Down and a TD, Many just go to see Andrew Luck or Reggie Wayne.....Not condemning them because some of them begin to follow more then just a player but the team

1. nonsense

2. That's every stadium/fanbase in the NFL

Watch the crowd as the camera scans LOS sometimes, some just sit there like they are trying to figure out whats going on, and I know thats at every fan base in the NFL

I have never come to that conclusion. You must have special powers

Reserved fans! I'm the guy there that's doing the wave by myself. Telling anyone who will listen "we got this" even if there is 20 seconds left in the 4th Quarter down by 21. I'm usually the last one out regardless of the score with no voice left and a beverage soaked shirt and pants because I jump up and down cheering or cursing.

GO COLTS

1. I used to yell and get rowdy a lot at the games when I was younger, losing my voice for a couple of days after each game. Now that I'm in my mid-40s, I just don't feel like doing that anymore. So, I just clap a lot when the D is out there. And, no, I don't stand often. Being in row 2 of my section, I can get away with it. Still, I'm invested in the outcome.

2. I've attended games in Arizona, St. Louis, KC, Minnesota, Tennessee, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Baltimore, Philly and DC. As others of noted, the experiences are markedly similar (with Philly being somewhat of an exception as their fans will direct more f-bombs at you).

Watch the crowd as the camera scans LOS sometimes, some just sit there like they are trying to figure out whats going on, and I know thats at every fan base in the NFL

BloodOnTheTracks is right - you must have special powers. Think about what you are saying - you can tell what is in a person's head from watching them on TV. Not just one person mind you, but a crowd of people.

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

BloodOnTheTracks is right - you must have special powers. Think about what you are saying - you can tell what is in a person's head from watching them on TV. Not just one person mind you, but a crowd of people.

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

Dear God!

When we are on defense I see way too many people sitting down making NO NOISE! I feel like we are at a disadvantage against other teams by not having that 12th man advantage.

Wow ! I was going to start almost the exact same thread. You nailed this one OP. 80% of the fans near me on Sunday were sitting on their hands all game. Definitely lazy fans. Wish a player or coach would call out the players.

It can get loud in there......doesn't compare to the RCA dome though. In the dome, you were right on top of the field........LOS is ridiculously large. The acoustics definitely play a role. It is hard to keep a crazy atmosphere when your team hasn't scored a first half TD since the Broncos game.

I think there was only one or two games where the level of noise resembled anything close to the dome noise. That playoff game at the dome against the pats im sure would have broken the noise record, I literally couldn't hear myself screaming, it was odd. Many have hit the main factor, the LOS is huge and not designed to maximize sound. You also have a different crowd of people in there and they are between the 20's rarely in large groups are they loud, probably never will be, they aren't fanatics, they are doctors and lawyers and business guys smoozing a client.

Another factor you are getting is the point made above, when this team is playing so poorly that the base is loosing patience and hope that their voice will help, they pipe down, I pipe down in disgust. The team has to be the catylst to getting fans into it. 1 bad game you could forget about and get up for a scream fest but not 5 or 6 in a row. Once the team gets more consistent, the fans willmrise up again in force, there is a good enough base to make it difficult on the opposing team. We won't be Seattle loud though, stadium wasnt built to be in indy, it was out west.

I can see both sides of this issue ... its frustrating when people do not get into it and crank up the noise for crucial plays, big 3rd downs, etc ... but it is also annoying to sit behind someone who insists on standing the the entire game or drunkenly yelling at the refs for even the most obvious correct calls.

We have a guy in the middle of our section who screams/yells when the opposing offense has a 1st and 5 on the fifty yard line (and he's not taking one of his 10-15 restroom breaks per game).

Basically you want fans as loud as Seattle's is what you're saying

No one in the NFL has fans louder than Seattle's. New Orleans at the super dome would be the closest to that

Chiefs would be second.  They're the ones who initially broke Seattle's noise record.  I don't know if their stadium has designed acoustics, but it's a completely open stadium and thus a bit more impressive if you ask me.  Of course, why we decided to go with a retractable roof instead of a measurable on-field advantage such as a stadium that increases crowd noise naturally makes me have a "d'oh" moment. 

We have a guy in the middle of our section who screams/yells when the opposing offense has a 1st and 5 on the fifty yard line (and he's not taking one of his 10-15 restroom breaks per game).

I feel sorry for the people behind/around him.  At that point it doesn't even really serve a purpose, its just obnoxious.

It gets harder and harder to stay enthusiastic when you scream your heart out on 3rd downs but the opposing offense keeps converting them regardless of the noise level you and other fans are generating. The team needs to give the fans something to cheer about if it wants its fans to be rowdy-- which the Colts have not done for the most part the last few games even in their wins.

Also, just because someone isn't quite as loud doesn't make them any less of a fan or a "lazy" fan. As someone said earlier in the thread, he is older and just claps now rather than losing his voice for a few days after. That is perfectly acceptable. Also, this notion that fans who have more money are "lazier" is just downright stupid. There is zero correlation. Just because someone doesn't express themselves the same way you do doesn't make them less of a fan or a lazy fan.

I will say that the one thing I can agree on is I do have a problem with fans asking loud fans to sit down or quiet down. That is on the opposite end of the spectrum and is equally obnoxious.

I have enjoyed this thread. Glad to know my friends and I who go to Notre Dame, Pacers, and Colts games cannot be loud since we live uppity areas and work a white collar job. Avon being uppity is so funny.

It is mostly the stadium because the RCA Dome was rocking and was one of the louder stadiums in the league. Are we ever going to be loud like Seattle? Probably no but 95% of the league cannot touch them.

Also, it's not like the Colts have given the fans much to cheer about this past month especially on offense.

What section do you sit in? That might be me.

I feel sorry for the people behind/around him.  At that point it doesn't even really serve a purpose, its just obnoxious.

I imagine he likes to puff out his chest like he's a superfan while complaining about the rest of us who like to focus on the game (and god forbid, actually discuss what is happening with those knowledgeable fans around us) while using some of the pejoratives contained in this thread in our general direction.

It is quite annoying though.

I have no idea where those places are or their apparent affluence but how much I or anyone else makes does not determine their fan level. Just ludicrous.

I can't be a fan because I have made a good living for myself? I don't scream and yell as much as you do because I am a white collar worker?

Wow, just W.O.W.

Calm down Nancy. Her point is valid.

It really is a library in comparison to a lot of NFL stadiums. I'll be at the game in Cincy, it'll be waaaay louder, the whole time (despite not having a roof to close). The no-tailgaiting thing at LOS really grinds my gears as well. Actually, is it still that way, or did that change (haven't been in a couple years)?

Going to a game at LOS just isn't the rowdy experience I pay for and expect when I go to an NFL game. That Denver game was rockin' though, I can give credit when credit's due.

Ehhh. Who the hell wants to be like Cincinnati or deal with a rowdy experience?

I love our fans and if we're a bit more sedate, that's fine. So be it. If you can't enjoy yourself at the Luke, something is wrong with you. As it stands, we don't have a grip of jackwagons to endure, restrain or knockout.

No....stay classy Indianapolis.

I was a STH in 139 for several years up until two years ago and I can tell you that myself and whoever I took were just a few that were actually screaming, yelling, etc. The atmosphere definitely isn't the same. Most of the people around us would be crappy if we were standing up. They wanted to stay seated and play on their phones most of the time.

I imagine he likes to puff out his chest like he's a superfan while complaining about the rest of us who like to focus on the game (and god forbid, actually discuss what is happening with those knowledgeable fans around us) while using some of the pejoratives contained in this thread in our general direction.

It is quite annoying though.

Not me. Is this an alcohol fueled diatribe by the Superfan?

Seattle is a unique situation. The stadium is built to reflect the sound down onto the field. The fans are REALLY into it. They not only yell but sing songs, chant, etc. They remind me of a soccer crowd, and that makes sense as the city is one of the best in terms of attendance for their MLS team. It's just a quirky town, IMO

Btw, The idea for the design of CenturyLink (Seattle) was inspired by the Washington Huskies stadium

I just meant the office types. I think maybe they're too polite to totally get crazy and be loud. JMHO.

LOS has its share of blue collar types who get into the game, they are the ones providing the noise. I've been to several games and I've seen what your talking about. In fact I've seen colts fans complaining about other colts fans standing too much or being too loud.