Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stadium Noise: Unfortunate acoustics or lazy fans?

ricker182

LOS has its share of blue collar types who get into the game, they are the ones providing the noise. I've been to several games and I've seen what your talking about. In fact I've seen colts fans complaining about other colts fans standing too much or being too loud.

I just wished all of us could get loud for our boys/state! I never cared if you're rich, middle or poor,...just scream your head off! We're in this thing...together. I'm one of those white collar people that i've mentioned, but i ALWAYS screamed my head off.

BE LOUD...BE PROUD...GO INDY!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wished all of us could get loud for our boys/state! I never cared if you're rich, middle or poor,...just scream your head off! We're in this thing...together. I'm one of those white collar people that i've mentioned, but i ALWAYS screamed my head off.

Exactly, people should stop treating LOS like their living room. GET LOUD!

It really is a library in comparison to a lot of NFL stadiums. I'll be at the game in Cincy, it'll be waaaay louder, the whole time (despite not having a roof to close). The no-tailgaiting thing at LOS really grinds my gears as well. Actually, is it still that way, or did that change (haven't been in a couple years)?

Going to a game at LOS just isn't the rowdy experience I pay for and expect when I go to an NFL game. That Denver game was rockin' though, I can give credit when credit's due.

No tailgating? I've been to at least one game every year since LOS opened and there was always tailgates everywhere.

Is it scientific fact that you're louder if your standing as opposed to sitting?

Seems like you could project your voice further from a higher spot but we'd need some experts to chime in before it's close to fact.  My opinion is that the more enthusiastic fans stand rather than sit..hence why they make the extra effort to stand up.

I have never been to a game at LOS, but most fans dont look to stand up and make noise but rather sit in there chairs, Most fans I think just seem to go to get a look at some of our bigger name players....Luck, Mathis...rather then being real interested in the game itself, Frustrating to see that. Wish I could afford tickets

I agree I've never been to a game ever I would love to but I can't afford tickets

I had the good fortune to sit in two places Sunday. Section 524 to start, and 428 post hafltime. I could tell a big difference. The 428 seats were club seating and there was an overhang so it didn't seem as loud as 524. The fans in both were cheering and standing on 3rd downs. I think the early games take a bit to get going...the more "lubed up" the fans get the louder it gets. I haven't been to a night game at LOS (besides the first one, Bears game) so I can't really compare. The LOS opener was loud at first but as the Bears pulled away the crowd was subdued.

In the RCA Dome it was deafening.

LOS it just depends on the game. The Seahawks, Raiders, Broncos games this year got REALLY loud.

Titans game got loud near the end, but overall not great.

I'd say it depends on the game & the acoustics play a HUGE part.

LOS can get very loud though.

There were duds in the RCA Dome as well.

I will say this. I went to the Tennessee game in Nashville a few weeks back. And honestly for a second you couldn't tell me it wasn't a home game it appeared to be louder when the colts made plays, and the abundance of cold fans didn't help.. I'm sure anyone that attended could attest to that. With that being said I've never been to LOS but after my experience I can't move myself to say anything bad about colts fans

Calm down. It wasn't meant as a slight and i apologize, if it offended. I was just looking at the socioeconomic backgrounds of the people/fans that usually attend our games. The majority tend to be white collar. Its just a study in human behaviour based on this.

I'd love to see your sources for your "study in human behavior."  Show me the numbers that say that the "majority" of fans that attend games are white collar people from Avon, Geist, Nora, and Carmel.  It was absolutely meant as a slight, and now you're just making up bullcrap to backtrack.  It wasn't a human behavior study based on the socioeconomic backgrounds of anything, it was an ignorant statement meant as a jab at people who work well-paying jobs in an office setting.  How much money someone makes, or how they make it, has nothing to do with how much they yell at sporting events.

How many members of the team are from Indiana?

Just to add a note from my experience at two games: 1)  Colts/Jets Playoff at Lucas Oil.  Loud, but not enough that it disturbed the Sanchez-led Jets.  2)  Colts/Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium - two weeks ago.  Absolutely deafening when the Colts were on offense.  Painfully loud.  It HAD to have disrupted the Colts offense.

As a broke college kid, when I shell out for games I intend on going all out with the cheering and screaming. I am paying for that game-day atmosphere. Just don't kill my vibe by shushing me or giving me crappy looks and all will be fine my way :thmup:

I don't remember my trip to the RCA Dome because I was only like 7 years old (vs. the Lions & we won). But I have no doubt that Colts fans can get LOS rocking when the time is right, and that's all that matters to me.

Getting tired of this topic being posted all the time. The Luke is much louder than it gets credit for by fans watching on TV at home.

Denver and Seattle were defeaning at times. I didn't have a voice for near enough a full week afterwards.

Also these threads just make it worse. You think Seattle and Kansas are getting louder naturally? No! The media talk about them being loud and then the fans make it a point of pride how loud they are. Continually complaining about it being quiet just makes others nervous to change the perceived status quo. 

Also here's a fun fact - the two loudest stadiums in the NFL have the two best defenses. What a surprise?! Who knew that fans were more likely to cheer for good defenses than by ones that continually give up 3rd downs and deflate the crowd noise?!

I have no idea if Seattle fans are even that loud - their stadium is designed to be noisy. As Bill Burr said their 12th man is the architect who designed the stadium.

Just to add a note from my experience at two games: 1) Colts/Jets Playoff at Lucas Oil. Loud, but not enough that it disturbed the Sanchez-led Jets. 2) Colts/Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium - two weeks ago. Absolutely deafening when the Colts were on offense. Painfully loud. It HAD to have disrupted the Colts offense.

Really? I was at that debacle and didn't find it to be any better than LOS. In fact - get this - a lot of people sat down.

The problem is the vast majority that attend or actually show up are 'white collar types' and not your everyday 'blue collar' lunch pail person. They come from AVON, CARMEL, NORA, GEIST and other fancy pants places. The noise will always be a problem.

Seriously?  I doubt the white collar people you are talking about are coming from Avon!!  It's mostly blue collar out here west in Avon, I live here.  Don't be so stererotypical!  Thank you very much!  But I do know season ticket holders that are westsiders in Brownsburg that are "white collar" and they yell & hollar it up at the games.  No, I'm not a STH but do go to a few games and I do stand and scream on D!! :td:

Getting tired of this topic being posted all the time. The Luke is much louder than it gets credit for by fans watching on TV at home.

Denver and Seattle were defeaning at times. I didn't have a voice for near enough a full week afterwards.

Also these threads just make it worse. You think Seattle and Kansas are getting louder naturally? No! The media talk about them being loud and then the fans make it a point of pride how loud they are. Continually complaining about it being quiet just makes others nervous to change the perceived status quo. 

Also here's a fun fact - the two loudest stadiums in the NFL have the two best defenses. What a surprise?! Who knew that fans were more likely to cheer for good defenses than by ones that continually give up 3rd downs and deflate the crowd noise?!

I have no idea if Seattle fans are even that loud - their stadium is designed to be noisy. As Bill Burr said their 12th man is the architect who designed the stadium.

Yes, Seattle's Century Link field is designed to be loud...for an outdoor stadium. But its still an open air stadium and the roof that helps funnel the noise to the field only covers about 2/3 of the stands leaving thousands of seats open without that benefit. And the stands don't even completely enclose the field with gaps left open in the north end to give fans a view of the Seattle skyline.

There's no reason that any dome stadium shouldn't be louder than Seattle's stadium.

BTW, I was at the Seahawks-Saints game and the entire stadium was on its feet the whole game. The fans started yelling as the Saints began to huddle making it hard for Brees to even call the play, then grew louder and louder as they approached the line of scrimmage making it impossible for Brees to communicate by anything but gestures and silent signals. When the Seahawks have the ball the crowd is silent until the snap, then begin to cheer at the snap and explode into cheers at any kind of positive play for the offense.

The Seahawks feed off the crowd energy, especially the defense which flies around the field, hits hard, and then yaps at the other team as they walk back to the huddle as the crowd howls.

So, yeah, the stadium and the fans are that loud and they know when and when not to yell for maximum effect. It's a brutal place to play for visiting teams.