Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

irsay tweets again.

Stephen

I said it, i'll say it again.  When you get rid of Pep and the Manusky, perhaps the team can move forward with success.  I agree what everyone is saying, they have figured out the Colt's offense and defense because they're so predictable.  That comes with underachieving staff especially the coaches.  Mr Irsay, I salute you for speaking up your mind and expressing your displeasure and i don't blame you one bit.  After all it is your team, and you want the most out of money invested and it is a business.....

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

Very glad Kraft doesn't do this. Keep criticism in-house.

I doubt Irsay has tweeted anything he hasn't already expressed to his staff or that they don't already know. I find it refreshing that Jim Irsay feels accountable to his paying customers, unlike his father and some other NFL owners.

I doubt Irsay has tweeted anything he hasn't already expressed to his staff or that they don't already know. I find it refreshing that Jim Irsay feels accountable to his paying customers, unlike his father and some other NFL owners.

Accountability is one thing , popping off like a frustrated fan is another. Remember what Vito Corleonne said" never let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking." That family is the bond between owner, GM, coaches , and players. You present a united front to fans, and cover each other's backs. That is the hallmark of a great organization

You are already here. The Old Man has a pager that beeps whenever Irsay is mentioned on this board and whips out his Commodore 64 to unleash his hate.

By the way, if I have a pager, so do the Irsay tweeting apologists who are also Johnny on the Spot always praising his tweets. FYI , I'm not as old as you think. If I'm that old , than your progressive owner is ancient because I'm younger than him. By the way, I have the latest in IPhone, IPad, and other technology, but nice try. I'm sure you would like to peg me as an 80 year old , with a tattered old Baltimore Colts shirt and moth ridden hat, using a computer with MS Dos, with a pager , living in a bombed out row house in Highlandtown. If that makes you happy with that stereotype , knock yourself out. It's pretty funny, but not accurate.

You know who loves threads like this one? Fans of other teams.

It's like catnip to them. And coincidently they never seem to think it's not a big deal. Strange....

No, it perplexes fans of other teams. Look , if Irsay is complaining , how do you think Steve Bisciotti feels shelling out all of that money , and the Ravens are 5-6. Yet, he says nothing , and supports his players and coaches. When all looked lost, and the Ravens looked like they were going to lose to the Broncos in the playoffs down a touchdown last year , Bisciotti texted Harbaugh how proud he was of the team , knowing it would probably be a second straight brutal playoff loss. It didn't turn out that way, but that is an example of an owner that gets it. Trust me, we've had owners in Baltimore that haven't, and I'm not only talking about Irsay.

Irsay's deep down desire for at least two rings like The Old Crow said plus his desire for vindication (in the form of SB wins) for getting rid of Peyton will drive him and the people who work for him nuts. These tweets are a microcosm of the outward expression of those desires deep down.

He does not need to justify Luck anymore (unless you are deficient to think long term) but keeping quiet and letting things happen by keeping things in house will do more good than harm in the long run.

Some forum poster told me that I had to wait till the Rooneys come out and make a statement if the Steelers stink (I told him fat chance of that happening). The Steelers and Ravens have both stunk this year and not a single public posture has been displayed by their owners. Irsay should take a hint from that. It is fine to be a fan with a fan cap as an owner. But the discernment to let things happen while addressing things in house has to be exercised more often when things are going tough.

The people that work for him know that the proof is in the results in this results oriented business. They don't want the owner constantly sending warning shots that he is looking over their shoulder, they know he is.

Irsay's deep down desire for at least two rings like The Old Crow said plus his desire for vindication (in the form of SB wins) for getting rid of Peyton will drive him and the people who work for him nuts. These tweets are a microcosm of the outward expression of those desires deep down.

He does not need to justify Luck anymore (unless you are deficient to think long term) but keeping quiet and letting things happen by keeping things in house will do more good than harm in the long run.

Some forum poster told me that I had to wait till the Rooneys come out and make a statement if the Steelers stink (I told him fat chance of that happening). The Steelers and Ravens have both stunk this year and not a single public posture has been displayed by their owners. Irsay should take a hint from that. It is fine to be a fan with a fan cap as an owner. But the discernment to let things happen while addressing things in house has to be exercised more often when things are going tough.

The people that work for him know that the proof is in the results in this results oriented business. They don't want the owner constantly sending warning shots that he is looking over their shoulder, they know he is.

Chad , you said it better than I ever could. He doesn't have to justify Luck because it was the right, long term thing to do. If he's patient, the Colts will surely get back to the Super Bowl and win one of these days. I think you totally nailed it.

-14colts14md.jpg20131014.jpg

Jim, we are on the phone every second of the day and night trying to make this football team better.  We talk about it every day.  You know the guys already got an a** reaming.  

Thanks, however for getting the emphasis on you like you did with Peyton, Fox, and Old Man Polian.....we will be 8-4 Sunday boss.

He signs the checks. Where in his tweets was he wrong? I'm not always a fan of him tweeting...but this time he is dead on. The team needs to "pull their heads out of their butts" and figure out a way to get it done

you are absolutely correct sir. he is the one paying these guys to win. yes he knows he can not win every game, but losing to teams 38-8 and 40-11 especially to someone like the rams, and it isn't so much that we lost it is how we lost. The offense was non existent in both games, the defense was horrible but that could also be because of exhaustion due to spending more time on the field then the offense. im tired of hearing people including the so called experts using Wayne as an excuse on why we are losing these games. everyone is a professional and need to start acting like it and playing to their potential. they are in the pro's for a reason. 

Irsay's deep down desire for at least two rings like The Old Crow said plus his desire for vindication (in the form of SB wins) for getting rid of Peyton will drive him and the people who work for him nuts. These tweets are a microcosm of the outward expression of those desires deep down.

He does not need to justify Luck anymore (unless you are deficient to think long term) but keeping quiet and letting things happen by keeping things in house will do more good than harm in the long run.

Amen. Well said. Nothing like going public to alienate your employees.

You don't need to make excuses via Twitter to fans. You communicate with them by putting together a great team, make moves when needed, etc. not blow random smoke on the Interweb.

Amen. Well said. Nothing like going public to alienate your employees.

You don't need to make excuses via Twitter to fans. You communicate with them by putting together a great team, make moves when needed, etc. not blow random smoke on the Interweb.

Robert Mathis doesn't seem to have a problem with Irsay's tweets.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/11/27/what-do-the-colts-think-of-irsays-tweets/3768875/

Exactly, I really doubt anyone in the lockerroom cares that much about Irsay's twitter account.  First of all I am sure they are much more focused on the Titans.  Second they would probably agree with him for the most part.  What are they going to say?  He's wrong we are playing great!

I do tend to worry at some point players will begin to not take him seriously(Sorta like....Oh that's just our boss again spouting his mouth off) though if Jim begins to makes a habit of voicing his concern about losses on an every season basis or I wonder if as the years go by and we continue to have Grigson as our GM if tension begins to mount between them. Valid concern I think. It could potentially drive away bigger name GM's in the future if for whatever reason Grigson moves on or is forced to move on. I don't forsee that happening in the near future but one never knows

I'm dubious about some of the tweets, as they may be self-serving. If Irsay didn't like the trade he wouldn't be bragging about shock and awe, or the tidal wave of deal making. He obviously liked the trade. I'm not hammering for the trade, but he always seems to leave himself an out if something goes wrong. By the way, this trade clearly showed Irsay is in win now mode, not rebuilding as some Colt's fans say.

I think most people thought the Richardson trade was a good one at the time. A low first rounder for a top talent. Irsay was as excited as the rest of us. It hasn't panned out that way, and I think many of us blame the coaches here.

The thing is Irsay is more a fan and hype man than an executive. He tried his hand at football operations and failed badly. Since then he's signed checks and tried to hire the best football minds to run the show. Did he make a bad hire in Grigson? Potentially. He does legitimately have an "out" in that he can't coach the team, make the trades, and make plays on the field. He put his trust in Grigson to get those people, and I think he's serving notice here that those expectations aren't being met.

His job is to keep butts in the seats and money in his pocket. Winning is the best way to accomplish both of those. When you aren't winning you gotta give the fans hope that things are turning around. That's what he's doing.

"I think most people thought the Richardson trade was a good one at the time. A low first rounder for a top talent."

I think it was closer to 50-50 on this forum whether it was a bad move. I didn't like it for the obvious reason. a 1st round pick given up for a player whos position normally last about 6-7 years in the league. Its done however now though and I expect him to improve with an offseason under his belt with us......If not.....well.....I think if this trade don't work out for us that its the "poster boy" for looking back on a trade a GM and potentially being a big reason for getting fired for down the road........But that's getting way ahead of ourselves of course...Not saying that will happen...But if that comes to pass then most will look back on this trade for many many years to come

I think most people thought the Richardson trade was a good one at the time. A low first rounder for a top talent. Irsay was as excited as the rest of us. It hasn't panned out that way, and I think many of us blame the coaches here.

The thing is Irsay is more a fan and hype man than an executive. He tried his hand at football operations and failed badly. Since then he's signed checks and tried to hire the best football minds to run the show. Did he make a bad hire in Grigson? Potentially. He does legitimately have an "out" in that he can't coach the team, make the trades, and make plays on the field. He put his trust in Grigson to get those people, and I think he's serving notice here that those expectations aren't being met.

His job is to keep butts in the seats and money in his pocket. Winning is the best way to accomplish both of those. When you aren't winning you gotta give the fans hope that things are turning around. That's what he's doing.

I didn't really have a problem with the Richardson trade, but it totally shows the Colts are in a win now mode. If you look at most posts outside the indy forum sphere of influence , most view Irsay's tweets as flakey, and nonscencical . He seems to blame everyone, Polian, Manning, Pagano for perceived Colt shortcomings. Next will be Grigson if he didn't roll the dice right. Like Jerry Jones, when things go right it's all him , when things go wrong it's someone else.

I didn't really have a problem with the Richardson trade, but it totally shows the Colts are in a win now mode. If you look at most posts outside the indy forum sphere of influence , most view Irsay's tweets as flakey, and nonscencical . He seems to blame everyone, Polian, Manning, Pagano for perceived Colt shortcomings. Next will be Grigson if he didn't roll the dice right. Like Jerry Jones, when things go right it's all him , when things go wrong it's someone else.

Your being to vague, Give an example of Irsay taking all the credit for the success over the Manning years

Your being to vague, Give an example of Irsay taking all the credit for the success over the Manning years

One example is the so- called story of how Polian wanted to trade Manning. He is always tweeting inside stories that benefit him, but then he gets mad when a reporter reports something about him, and questions whether the guy was next to him and Manning on the plane, to hear their conversation. It's fine when he tweets tidbits to the fans, but when he gets reported upon, everyone is picking on him.

There were quite a few that were not fully on board with the TRich trade.  I, for one, don't believe a RB is worth a 1st round pick. Grabbing an established in the league elite RB talent is a possibility.  But when I went to the Browns forums, it was pointed out TRich lacked vision, and did not display explosiveness to break through to the second level.  So him coming to our O line wasn't a spirit raiser and has ,in fact, performed worse as a Colt than as a Brown.  Since it was a done deal, many just mentioned these and then moved on.  There were too many threads on FA signings folks weren't on board with already.

I think Irsay wanted a team that could assert it's will on the opponent and win smashmouth style and D.  It even worked for awhile.  Now, we get our will pulverized into the ground, usually quite soundly by the end of the first quarter.  So at this point, maybe it is better to take a chance on winning or losing with Star Wars type numbers rather then just trying to pummel the opponent with 2 yards and a cloud of dust, and then drop back scramble and throw before receivers have gotten open.

The Wayne excuse is now old and tired {yet still seemingly valid!} . Somebody has to step up by now, or folks need to be moved and that spot become priority, if it is that critical to our O clicking.  We have a stellar resume` !  We defeated Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver!  What also can't be overlooked is the 10 steaming piles we have left on the field out of the last 12 quarters.  The D isn't sopping anybody- They drive the field for TD's to start the game every time recent;y ( and more).  The only time we received, we suffer a strip sack/fumble returned for a TD.  Adjustments in game planning and scheme must be made, and players need to focus on doing their own job, not trying to help out another they feel might be overmatched, unless that help is planned and schemed into the play(s).

This is a very important division game Sunday. It will show if we are moving toward being playoff ready, or would be lucky to hang on and back in to the post season.

There were quite a few that were not fully on board with the TRich trade. I, for one, don't believe a RB is worth a 1st round pick. Grabbing an established in the league elite RB talent is a possibility. But when I went to the Browns forums, it was pointed out TRich lacked vision, and did not display explosiveness to break through to the second level. So him coming to our O line wasn't a spirit raiser and has ,in fact, performed worse as a Colt than as a Brown. Since it was a done deal, many just mentioned these and then moved on. There were too many threads on FA signings folks weren't on board with already.

I think Irsay wanted a team that could assert it's will on the opponent and win smashmouth style and D. It even worked for awhile. Now, we get our will pulverized into the ground, usually quite soundly by the end of the first quarter. So at this point, maybe it is better to take a chance on winning or losing with Star Wars type numbers rather then just trying to pummel the opponent with 2 yards and a cloud of dust, and then drop back scramble and throw before receivers have gotten open.

The Wayne excuse is now old and tired {yet still seemingly valid!} . Somebody has to step up by now, or folks need to be moved and that spot become priority, if it is that critical to our O clicking. We have a stellar resume` ! We defeated Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver! What also can't be overlooked is the 10 steaming piles we have left on the field out of the last 12 quarters. The D isn't sopping anybody- They drive the field for TD's to start the game every time recent;y ( and more). The only time we received, we suffer a strip sack/fumble returned for a TD. Adjustments in game planning and scheme must be made, and players need to focus on doing their own job, not trying to help out another they feel might be overmatched, unless that help is planned and schemed into the play(s).

This is a very important division game Sunday. It will show if we are moving toward being playoff ready, or would be lucky to hang on and back in to the post season.

You would have to totally blow it to lose the division, which I don't think will happen. I really think the injuries have taken a major toll , especially the Wayne injury. The Colts, when healthy, are very good , but injuries will cause ebbs and flows on the season. The Richardson deal was made to improve the rushing game before the injury bugs hit even worse , so they were trying to win this year, which I understand. Unfortunately, Richardson looks like a bust, and you guys need quality depth for next year and now you don't have a number 1. I have no problem with Irsay and Grigson building a bigger, more powerful Colts team , but the real key will be building quality depth under the cap.

Why should Irsay take a hint from the Ravens and Steelers? Doesn't seem their approach has wielded more wins.

Why should Irsay take a hint from the Ravens and Steelers? Doesn't seem their approach has wielded more wins.

I think I would take a hint from those two organizations. The Steelers have six Super Bowls and the Ravens two since 1996. Under Irsay famy ownership since 1972, only one SuperBowl has been achieved. If you want to throw out 1972- 1983, the following 30 years where Jim Irsay was very involved as a GM or owner, he at least got one in 30 years. That is good by Bidwell family standards, but pales next to Rooney, and others.

I think I would take a hint from those two organizations. The Steelers have six Super Bowls and the Ravens two since 1996. Under Irsay famy ownership since 1972, only one SuperBowl has been achieved. If you want to throw out 1972- 1983, the following 30 years where Jim Irsay was very involved as a GM or owner, he at least got one in 30 years. That is good by Bidwell family standards, but pales next to Rooney, and others.

Just stop already. It's getting pathetic. Since JIM IRSAY has been owner the Colts have been very successful. No amount of whining from you is going to change that fact.

Just stop already. It's getting pathetic. Since JIM IRSAY has been owner the Colts have been very successful. No amount of whining from you is going to change that fact.

If you think one title in 41 years is great, hats off to you. I don't know what to tell you. Beats the RedSox and zero for eighty six years