Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

irsay tweets again.

Stephen

Jim Irsay has been the owner since the late 90's.....but troll on.

But was GM from 1984 to 1997. If he wasn't the owner's son, he surely would have been terminated. That's why I'm shocked he's so harsh to Polian. Polian totally improved the stock of the Irsay ownership legacy. It's not trolling, it's cold hard facts. I would say the same thing about the Angelo's family ownership in Baltimore, and I'm a huge Orioles fan. No Championships for the Orioles, while the Yankees have five and the Red Sox have three. I'm not going to spin or excuse it, it's been thirty years since the orioles won it all. One in thirty wouldn't make me happy either.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But was GM from 1984 to 1997. If he wasn't the owner's son, he surely would have been terminated. That's why I'm shocked he's so harsh to Polian. Polian totally improved the stock of the Irsay ownership legacy. It's not trolling, it's cold hard facts. I would say the same thing about the Angelo's family ownership in Baltimore, and I'm a huge Orioles fan. No Championships for the Orioles, while the Yankees have five and the Red Sox have three. I'm not going to spin or excuse it, it's been thirty years since the orioles won it all. One in thirty wouldn't make me happy either.

Not exactly - Jim stepped away from personnel decisions in the early 90s and handed those duties over to Bill Tobin, who drafted Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison and Tarik Glenn.

And soon as his father died, he relived himself of GM duties. You keep attempting to roll Jim and Bob Irsay into the same owner....when it's obvious they are not....and for you to do so is disingenuous at best.

All you do with your posts is confirm that you're a bitter, trollish Ravens fan who likes to twist the truth.

And soon as his father died, he relived himself of GM duties. You keep attempting to roll Jim and Bob Irsay into the same owner....when it's obvious they are not....and for you to do so is disingenuous at best.

All you do with your posts is confirm that you're a bitter, trollish Ravens fan who likes to twist the truth.

What about 1984-1997 ?

You don't consider a son who is part of the ownership family, with duties that outstrip his experience, part of ownership ? Polian got him a ring , how many rings did he get for his father ? Would he have liked it if his father had said they needed to go in a different direction because they should have won with Harbaugh, or something? The man is incredibly blessed he's inherited a fortune. He just needs to be more humble and realize how fortunate he is

You don't consider a son who is part of the ownership family, with duties that outstrip his experience, part of ownership ? Polian got him a ring , how many rings did he get for his father ? Would he have liked it if his father had said they needed to go in a different direction because they should have won with Harbaugh, or something? The man is incredibly blessed he's inherited a fortune. He just needs to be more humble and realize how fortunate he is

First, see my earlier post regarding Tobin.

Second, Irsay has openly stated he was a lousy GM. But Robert Irsay still pulled a lot of strings until he died. Best example - The failure to retain Ted Marchibroda after the '95 playoff run.

You are unbearable

Who are you to tell Irsay he should be more humble? A disgruntled Ravens fan lol troll on Old Crow

First, see my earlier post regarding Tobin.

Second, Irsay has openly stated he was a lousy GM. But Robert Irsay still pulled a lot of strings until he died. Best example - The failure to retain Ted Marchibroda after the '95 playoff run.

Tobin was basically a puppet hired by Bob to guide young Jim in 1994. When you look at a family's legacy at owning a team, you have to look at the whole thing. You just can't take the best years of a family 'a ownership and dismiss all the rest

No , unbearable is what his father put the city of Baltimore through. That is the definition of unbearable.

Tobin was basically a puppet hired by Bob to guide young Jim in 1994. When you look at a family's legacy at owning a team, you have to look at the whole thing. You just can't take the best years of a family 'a ownership and dismiss all the rest

Jim Irsay won one SB and lost one in under 20 years and made the playoffs almost every year. I would say that compares favorably to Art Modell's over 40 years of ownership of the Browns/Ravens.

no he wasn't and once again you keep making up things to try to support your opinion as one nice said you are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.

The real facts would show Jim Irsay pushed his dad to hire Tobin because he knew he was bad at the GM job and Jim Irsay took over day-to-day management of the team from an owners standpoint a short time later. It would also show the Tobin years weren't that bad. Once again, since Jim Irsay has either been the owner or the acting owner of this team you count the number of times they have missed the playoffs on one hand not too bad since he's pretty much been calling the shots as the owner since 95. Any team in the NFL would sign up for that. Even if it only meant one Super Bowl over that time. People tend to under value just how hard it is to win one of those. Since Jim Irsay became the acting owner of the Colts five Owners can say they have won more Super Bowls then him and four of them have only won one more then him.

You try extremely hard to marry Jim Irsay to his dad like they are the same person they are not. Bill Irsay ran the Colts to try to turn a profit. Jim Irsay runs them like a sports owner who wants to win. You let your hate for Bill Irsay cloud your judgement on Jim.

Jim Irsay won one SB and lost one in under 20 years and made the playoffs almost every year. I would say that compares favorably to Art Modell's over 40 years of ownership of the Browns/Ravens.

If you want to compartmentalize Jim's record from 1997-present, I agree it's good. I don't consider Modell one of the better owners in the game, despite him moving to Baltimore. He was not a good businessman, on top of being a mediocre owner. Both Irsay's were very good businessmen , I'll give them that. I consider the Modell family track record pretty poor for the amount of years they owned the team. If not for Steve Bisciottis influx of money as a minority owner, the Modell Ravens probably would not have won in 2000.

no he wasn't and once again you keep making up things to try to support your opinion as one nice said you are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.

The real facts would show Jim Irsay pushed his dad to hire Tobin because he knew he was bad at the GM job and Jim Irsay took over day-to-day management of the team from an owners standpoint a short time later. It would also show the Tobin years weren't that bad. Once again, since Jim Irsay has either been the owner or the acting owner of this team you count the number of times they have missed the playoffs on one hand not too bad since he's pretty much been calling the shots as the owner since 95. Any team in the NFL would sign up for that. Even if it only meant one Super Bowl over that time. People tend to under value just how hard it is to win one of those. Since Jim Irsay became the acting owner of the Colts five Owners can say they have won more Super Bowls then him and four of them have only won one more then him.

You try extremely hard to marry Jim Irsay to his dad like they are the same person they are not. Bill Irsay ran the Colts to try to turn a profit. Jim Irsay runs them like a sports owner who wants to win. You let your hate for Bill Irsay cloud your judgement on Jim.

Why was he GM for so long if he wasn't good at it ? Why didn't he resign if he cared about winning. ? Because he was part of ownership. It's that simple. Most failed GM 's are fired, but he was part of ownership, so no way.

I've previously said he's been a good owner from 1997 onward. But comments like the one when he said the Colts were a dynasty were ludicrous, when he has won only one Championship. That is the humble part I was talking about.

Why was he GM for so long if he wasn't good at it ? Why didn't he resign if he cared about winning. ? Because he was part of ownership. It's that simple. Most failed GM 's are fired, but he was part of ownership, so no way.

I've previously said he's been a good owner from 1997 onward. But comments like the one when he said the Colts were a dynasty were ludicrous, when he has won only one Championship. That is the humble part I was talking about.

because his dad wanted him to do it and it was his dads call not his. He has said for years he tried to talk his father into hiring a GM and he wouldn't do it till he had his first stroke and Jim had to take over more day-to-day ownership responsibilities. Then when he had his more severe one Jim became the acting owner and then when he past away and after a brief court fight he became the official owner.

The Colts won more games in a decade than any other team in NFL history, that's some form of a dynasty. No not the same as teams that won three Super Bowls over four years but one none the less and he has every right to be proud of it.

I find it funny that when something goes wrong people like to say it starts at the top with the owner but if people talk about the good his team did as owner people try to pretend like some how they won inspite of him. People can't gave it both ways.

Irsay was a bad GM no question even he admits that but he's been a good Owner since that's his current job and he appears to have no interest in being a GM again that's all I care about right now.

If you want to compartmentalize Jim's record from 1997-present, I agree it's good. I don't consider Modell one of the better owners in the game, despite him moving to Baltimore. He was not a good businessman, on top of being a mediocre owner. Both Irsay's were very good businessmen , I'll give them that. I consider the Modell family track record pretty poor for the amount of years they owned the team. If not for Steve Bisciottis influx of money as a minority owner, the Modell Ravens probably would not have won in 2000.

I'm not compartmentalizing. Despite your hogwash spewing posts, Jim Irsay has been the owner since 1997.

He basically said injuries are not an execuse, win the division or else. It was a big shot at the coaching staff that he likes the record, but is far from amused with the play on the field.

"Must find a way 2 win Division,no excuses,no explanations..hide weaknesses,accent strengthens/We gotta get our heads out of r butts-WAKE UP!"

I like it

1. So, you're one of those who likes to assign to the son the sins of the father?

2. Nobody here, other than you, is talking about "family legacy." Jim Irsay is a different owner than was his father.

So? Neither would Mara, Rooney, Debartolo, York, Bidwell, McCaskey, Brown, Hunt, Davis and other owners who were fortunate to be born wealthy.

No, I don't care about that. I'm just saying be a little humble. Don't make ill-timed Ed Reed jokes on twitter when the guy gets cut , or put toy Mayflower vans in your museum, when you were co-ordinating operations from the Owings Mills Complex, or going with Chernoff to Indy, during that time . Maybe you had to move, but you would actually put a toy Mayflower van in your museum ? You were proud of that ? You going to actually put that in with your Jack Karouac manuscripts ? Like with the Manning episode, it just seems like he rubs salt in wounds. That is the humble part. I don't begrudge him his money, my point was his record as GM on a normal team would have gotten him fired in three years. I do realize and given him full credit for being a successful owner since 1997, but I think he should show Polian some more gratitude, that's all.

You guys can't have it both ways. When Jim was GM , it was all Bob Irsay's fault, but when you only got one ring during the Manning era, it was Polian's fault, not Jimmy's.

No, I don't care about that. I'm just saying be a little humble. Don't make ill-timed Ed Reed jokes on twitter when the guy gets cut , or put toy Mayflower vans in your museum, when you were co-ordinating operations from the Owings Mills Complex, or going with Chernoff to Indy, during that time . Maybe you had to move, but you would actually put a toy Mayflower van in your museum ? You were proud of that ? You going to actually put that in with your Jack Karouac manuscripts ? Like with the Manning episode, it just seems like he rubs salt in wounds. That is the humble part. I don't begrudge him his money, my point was his record as GM on a normal team would have gotten him fired in three years. I do realize and given him full credit for being a successful owner since 1997, but I think he should show Polian some more gratitude, that's all.

You guys can't have it both ways. When Jim was GM , it was all Bob Irsay's fault, but when you only got one ring during the Manning era, it was Polian's fault, not Jimmy's.

Mayflower,Mayflower,Mayflower your still salty over the Colts leaving. Just admit it . That's the 1st step in healing....

:colts:

We can't have it both ways? Hilarious. Coming from a guy who consistently stretches the truth to fit his agenda....just like you did above.

We can't have it both ways? Hilarious. Coming from a guy who consistently stretches the truth to fit his agenda....just like you did above.

It's a legitimate question you haven't answered. I know you guys like Jim, but the buck never stopped with him, just Polian for lack of rings. If you bring up Bob Irsay, even though Jim started to get real involved as part of ownership by the early 1980's, it was all Bob.