Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I cannot explain the Colts

oldunclemark

It's a team that was 2-14 two years ago and is probably overachieving at this point. The Colts are definitely a "the whole is greater than the some of its parts" type of team.....and that get a exposed from time to time, especially with a lot of injuries.

Answer: they're a young team.  With more experience will come more consistency.

On the bright side, during certain games and halves of games, they have played championship football, and at this stage of their development that's encouraging. 

2012 made no sense......all season....we allowed more points than we scoredNow we're down 18...down 14 on the road in division games.....we come back to win...again and againBut I don't know how we're doing it...I don't know what's going on

I don't know either, but I'm lovin every minute of it.

Terrible coaching is why we start off so slow. Pagano wants to run the ball a ton but Pep wants a No coast offense.

I disagree.  First of all if you are going to rip the coaches for the start of the games then you have to give them credit for the adjustments they make at half-time too.

Honestly though it's mostly the same plays.  The Colts players just for whatever reason execute better in the second half than the first half. 

I will say this this is second straight road game we have had the weather the storm of an emotional start from the other team and once the Colts got past that they were fine.  I will say I do think they over looked the Rams and that game spiraled so fast they didn't have a chance. 

Still I am sure the Colts would be the first ones to tell you they have to get these slow starts figured out.  They have 10 days to do so.  Hopefully they do.

I disagree.  First of all if you are going to rip the coaches for the start of the games then you have to give them credit for the adjustments they make at half-time too.

Honestly though it's mostly the same plays.  The Colts players just for whatever reason execute better in the second half than the first half. 

I will say this this is second straight road game we have had the weather the storm of an emotional start from the other team and once the Colts got past that they were fine.  I will say I do think they over looked the Rams and that game spiraled so fast they didn't have a chance. 

Still I am sure the Colts would be the first ones to tell you they have to get these slow starts figured out.  They have 10 days to do so.  Hopefully they do.

The fumble by the kick returner is what changed the game. After the Titans went down they went pass happy. Our defense made Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kelly Clemons, and Case Keenum look like pro bowlers. Were winning because the greatness of Luck not our coaches. Their the ones who won't take the training wheels off Luck, we should be a lot better then this.

The fumble by the kick returner is what changed the game. After the Titans went down they went pass happy. Our defense made Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kelly Clemons, and Case Keenum look like pro bowlers. Were winning because the greatness of Luck not our coaches. Their the ones who won't take the training wheels off Luck, we should be a lot better then this.

The Colts had already put up 10 unanswered points before that and had changed the momentum before that so no that didn't change the game.  It helped but the Colts took control after the mini melt down on defense with that drive to end the half and the TD out of the lockerroom. 

The reason the Titans went pass happy is that they couldn't run the ball. 

Luck had 0 passing TDs tonight.  It's not the greatness of Luck alone that is carrying us.  Honestly tonight it was the o-line getting going and the running game getting going that won the game tonight.  Once the Colts could run the ball the offense took off and yes Luck helped with running the ball but Donald Brown and his two TDs had a lot to do with the win tonight. 

The training wheels are off Luck and have been for a while. 

The Colts had already put up 10 unanswered points before that and had changed the momentum before that so no that didn't change the game.  It helped but the Colts took control after the mini melt down on defense with that drive to end the half and the TD out of the lockerroom. 

The reason the Titans went pass happy is that they couldn't run the ball. 

Luck had 0 passing TDs tonight.  It's not the greatness of Luck alone that is carrying us.  Honestly tonight it was the o-line getting going and the running game getting going that won the game tonight.  Once the Colts could run the ball the offense took off and yes Luck helped with running the ball but Donald Brown and his two TDs had a lot to do with the win tonight. 

The training wheels are off Luck and have been for a while. 

Maybe were watching 2 different games but their treating Luck like he's Gabbert. Run the ball on 1st and 2nd down pass on 3rd. Do you think if Jon Gruden, Pete Carmichael or any other offensive guru as the head coach would do that? No way, Luck is a top 5 QB you have to play to your teams strengths not it's weaknesses. Luck would have 20+ TD's by now if we had an offensive coach.

I wanted Pete btw learned from under Sean Payton. Nothing against Pagano he's a great guy just doesn't know anything about offense.

Maybe were watching 2 different games but their treating Luck like he's Gabbert. Run the ball on 1st and 2nd down pass on 3rd. Do you think if Jon Gruden, Pete Carmichael or any other offensive guru as the head coach would do that? No way, Luck is a top 5 QB you have to play to your teams strengths not it's weaknesses. Luck would have 25+ TD's if we had an offensive coach.

Yeah I think you might be watching a different game because tonight was about the running game and some well timed passes to the tightend up by the running game. 

Honestly we've won two games since Reggie went down the first one game when Hilton went off (which yes Luck played a role in but that was as much about Hilton as it was Luck) and then tonight when the running game played well.  That's not Luck doing super human things all by himself.  At best it's Luck having a really good quarter and half with a WR and some well timed passes tonight again after being set up by the running game. 

When we have tried to make it about Luck he's gotten creamed for five and 1/2 quarters out of eight going into tonight without Reggie.  Is Luck talented?  Without question.  Is he doing it all by himself?  Couldn't be further from the truth. 

I disagree. First of all if you are going to rip the coaches for the start of the games then you have to give them credit for the adjustments they make at half-time too.

Honestly though it's mostly the same plays. The Colts players just for whatever reason execute better in the second half than the first half.

I will say this this is second straight road game we have had the weather the storm of an emotional start from the other team and once the Colts got past that they were fine. I will say I do think they over looked the Rams and that game spiraled so fast they didn't have a chance.

Still I am sure the Colts would be the first ones to tell you they have to get these slow starts figured out. They have 10 days to do so. Hopefully they do.

Yes, overlooked the Rams. I believe it went something like this.

Pagano (after Houston win):

I've been a pro coach for many years, and I know what I'm doing. The Rams are average, and although they've played some big teams hard, they are not good. We will beat them easily. Have 3 days off.

Pagano: let's watch a little game film, although we don't need tp prepare. I've brought a box set of One Tree Hill which we can watch instead.

Receivers, when the ball is thrown to you, drop a few will you, we want to make it a close game. I like Coach Fisher, and I don't want to embarrass him.

Andrew, when in the end zone, make it interesting. Throw with your eyes shut.

Finally, in this league, where it's hard to win.....take your foot off the pedal a little. We are just too good for the Rams.

On three, easy easy easy.....

2012 made no sense......all season....we allowed more points than we scored

Now we're down 18...down 14 on the road in division games..

...we come back to win...again and again

But I don't know how we're doing it...

I don't know what's going on

That's the beauty of it at times.

Heck I can't explain most about most things!!! :D

both quite true

Always quick to blame the coaches.  Some people make me sick.  Last year we were carrying Coach out on our shoulders, this year people are calling for him to be fired over three games where our PLAYERS played like crap.  I want to see power running football.  T-Rich hasnt been in town long enough and im not ready to call it a bust until he has a full off season with the team.  DB needs to start.  Hes faster, more patient and has better vision.  3 L's and a 3 game lead in the division.  Is it beautiful at times, hell no.  But its winning.  Stay the course. 

Always quick to blame the coaches.  Some people make me sick.  Last year we were carrying Coach out on our shoulders, this year people are calling for him to be fired over three games where our PLAYERS played like crap.  I want to see power running football.  T-Rich hasnt been in town long enough and im not ready to call it a bust until he has a full off season with the team.  DB needs to start.  Hes faster, more patient and has better vision.  3 L's and a 3 game lead in the division.  Is it beautiful at times, hell no.  But its winning.  Stay the course. 

I don't recall seeing anyone calling for Pagano's head on these boards. If it's happened I've missed it. A lot of frustration with the overly conservative decisions yes, but demanding his firing, no. I love Pagano has HC, however, I think he would benefit from a more aggressive OC to balance out his own conservative nature. Pep takes a very conservative approach to the offense, even predictable at times, and I think it makes the Colts overall play too "safe" and not take enough chances-- especially with a QB like Luck.

I am not saying that I am not a fan of Pep, because overall I think his system is a good one. Just would like to see us playing more aggressively within it. Granted, injuries have also really limited what the Colts can do on offense.

I don't recall seeing anyone calling for Pagano's head on these boards. If it's happened I've missed it. A lot of frustration with the overly conservative decisions yes, but demanding his firing, no. I love Pagano has HC, however, I think he would benefit from a more aggressive OC to balance out his own conservative nature. Pep takes a very conservative approach to the offense, even predictable at times, and I think it makes the Colts overall play too "safe" and not take enough chances-- especially with a QB like Luck.

I am not saying that I am not a fan of Pep, because overall I think his system is a good one. Just would like to see us playing more aggressively within it. Granted, injuries have also really limited what the Colts can do on offense.

I dunno, there was a person or two saying he should be on the hot seat if Colts lost yesterday.  But on the conservative bit, I actually disagree with you.  Predictable?  At times, yes.  More on that shortly.  I don't think he is aggressive in that we don't take a ton of shots down fieldl ike we did last year.  But I don't think that he is passive either.  I wish I could recall a specific example (and if someone can help me out, please do), but there were a cuople of times where the play calling surprised me.  Like a 3rd and 1 and we passed the ball 15 yards down field.  But seems how I can't recall anythign specific, I'll just have to leave my point unproven.  Suffice it to say, I don't think he's conservative, nor aggressive, but he can be a mixture of both.

Okay, predictability - I've stated it before.  A HUGE part of that is all of our injuries.  You've heard, I'm sure, how last year for instance, Luck was ready mentality wise to start implementing soem of the more exotic packages, but other players were not up to speed.  Okay, players like Reggie and Allen have a pretty good grasp on the packages.  When those guys go out and replace them with someone who doesn't have the same breadth of comfortability with the packages, it slims down your playbook quite a bit.  I listened to Dwayne Allen on the radio last week talking about how a guy like Reggie goes down, and close to 50% of your playbook just becomes unusable.  You hope the replacement can pick up the slack, but it doesn't always happen.  Now you lose Reggie, Allen, Bradshaw, Ballard, I mean, there were a lot of package specific plays for those guys...all gone now.  Trent might pick up some of the slack, but he's still learning to read the OL and get comfortable with the system, DHB has shown he can't carry Reggie's load, etc.  The point I'm trying to make is, with more injuries, the more your playbook diminishes, and the less plays you can run, means you will be more predictable.

Maybe were watching 2 different games but their treating Luck like he's Gabbert. Run the ball on 1st and 2nd down pass on 3rd. Do you think if Jon Gruden, Pete Carmichael or any other offensive guru as the head coach would do that? No way, Luck is a top 5 QB you have to play to your teams strengths not it's weaknesses. Luck would have 20+ TD's by now if we had an offensive coach.

I wanted Pete btw learned from under Sean Payton. Nothing against Pagano he's a great guy just doesn't know anything about offense.

Are you actually watching the games?

Yeah I think you might be watching a different game because tonight was about the running game and some well timed passes to the tightend up by the running game.

Honestly we've won two games since Reggie went down the first one game when Hilton went off (which yes Luck played a role in but that was as much about Hilton as it was Luck) and then tonight when the running game played well. That's not Luck doing super human things all by himself. At best it's Luck having a really good quarter and half with a WR and some well timed passes tonight again after being set up by the running game.

When we have tried to make it about Luck he's gotten creamed for five and 1/2 quarters out of eight going into tonight without Reggie. Is Luck talented? Without question. Is he doing it all by himself? Couldn't be further from the truth.

You make great points about the o-line, Brown, and Fleener being difference makers but let's be honest, Luck was huge in this game. His passes were extremely accurate and did everything he could to win the game. Not discounting what credit you gave to other team members, Luck was superhuman last night.

Okay, predictability - I've stated it before.  A HUGE part of that is all of our injuries.  You've heard, I'm sure, how last year for instance, Luck was ready mentality wise to start implementing soem of the more exotic packages, but other players were not up to speed.  Okay, players like Reggie and Allen have a pretty good grasp on the packages.  When those guys go out and replace them with someone who doesn't have the same breadth of comfortability with the packages, it slims down your playbook quite a bit.  I listened to Dwayne Allen on the radio last week talking about how a guy like Reggie goes down, and close to 50% of your playbook just becomes unusable.  You hope the replacement can pick up the slack, but it doesn't always happen.  Now you lose Reggie, Allen, Bradshaw, Ballard, I mean, there were a lot of package specific plays for those guys...all gone now.  Trent might pick up some of the slack, but he's still learning to read the OL and get comfortable with the system, DHB has shown he can't carry Reggie's load, etc.  The point I'm trying to make is, with more injuries, the more your playbook diminishes, and the less plays you can run, means you will be more predictable.

Excellent point! :thmup:

As Allen said the other day: “This offense is a fraction of what it was in the spring and that’s just because of personnel. Pep Hamilton has done a great job of earning his paycheck because here’s a first-year offensive coordinator and five of his offensive starters go down.”

If we win the division and thus get to the play offs, I'm more than satisfied given the crucial injuries. 

Excellent point! :thmup:

As Allen said the other day: “This offense is a fraction of what it was in the spring and that’s just because of personnel. Pep Hamilton has done a great job of earning his paycheck because here’s a first-year offensive coordinator and five of his offensive starters go down.”

If we win the division and thus get to the play offs, I'm more than satisfied given the crucial injuries.

There are only 2 types of NFL teams.....

Teams that make the playoffs and teams that don't.

I cannot find the posts that i was reading yesterday saying Fire Coach pagano and Pep.  I do believe the offense is conservative.  And i agree sometimes overly conservative.  7-3 is not a lost season.  Its still up to the players to play.  And put the right people in the game.  Tough with injuries but im sure they will get it all figured out.  Just nonsense that all this starts over 1 really bad game. 

I dunno, there was a person or two saying he should be on the hot seat if Colts lost yesterday.  But on the conservative bit, I actually disagree with you.  Predictable?  At times, yes.  More on that shortly.  I don't think he is aggressive in that we don't take a ton of shots down fieldl ike we did last year.  But I don't think that he is passive either.  I wish I could recall a specific example (and if someone can help me out, please do), but there were a cuople of times where the play calling surprised me.  Like a 3rd and 1 and we passed the ball 15 yards down field.  But seems how I can't recall anythign specific, I'll just have to leave my point unproven.  Suffice it to say, I don't think he's conservative, nor aggressive, but he can be a mixture of both.

PC, I actually agree with most of your post. I think the predictable plays are what I am predominately referring to when I say conservative. Because generally speaking the predictable plays are coming on 1st down and involve a jumbo set that gets 1-2 yards. I do agree that injuries limit what an offense can do and believe I acknowledged that point. But this offense was predictable even before the injuries started piling up.

I feel that Pep's playcalling has improved and like I said, I actually like the system. I just wish the Colts were a more aggressive team-- willing to take a chance and go for it on a makeable 4th down where it is reasonable to do so instead of punting or taking the field goal. That comes back to Pagano though, and where I feel an aggressive OC/playcaller would influence him to go for it more often than not. Pep seems conservative as well and I would guess probably agrees with the decision to play "safe" more often than not.