Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB - Time to go.

Yinkgo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DHB has definitely not lived up to expectations ... but he was not the reason we lost today.  If you individually ranked the reasons we lost he would not even be in the top 10.  How about before we go cutting DHB we bring in a FA WR for Reed and see if there is something better than what we have out there first.  Rogers is probably not ready yet or he would have already been brought up.

I'll say this about DHB, and maybe I'll write an article about it this week.

DHB is one of the worst route runners in the NFL. I watched him very closely the last 2 games, and really studied his route running. He fails to break down properly on short/intermediate routes (ins/outs and hitches). He relies on his speed on a lot of his routes, and routes are about fundamentals. Reggie is not fast at all, but why does he always get open? Because he gets speed in and out of his cuts, and breaks down properly. He has to work on that, and get open.

I don't think DHB has horrible hands. I think he doesn't know how to use them properly lol. This is a guy that on every hook will attempt to catch with his body. Actually, screw the hooks, he does that on most routes. You cannot catch with your body, because it will bounce off your chest and you'll drop it. You'll definitely catch it sometimes, but you'll drop it a lot too. Work on the jugs machine all you want DHB, but if you keep using your body you will continue to drop the ball. 

So he's a terrible route runner and he doesn't know how to properly use his hands. The Colts can't really afford to bench him now because they're lacking depth and he's one of the few options, but after the season, they must look elsewhere.

A fair and balanced assessment IMO. To cut him now would be lunacy,  but next season don't expect to see him back. 

I think it is crystal clear to anyone with a brain the following, DHB:

1) is NOT the root of receiver problems (all the receivers have had issues catching at crucial points in the last 3 weeks).

2) has enormous problems catching balls thrown in catchable positions (i.e. balls thrown near his numbers and his hands).

3) has been consistently poor in catching for weeks now, this complaint thread is not a knee-jerk reaction.

4) is paid lots of money for what he does. We appreciate how difficult it is, love him anyway, but other WR are able to accomplish it in spades every single week for other teams.

He needs to go. Period.

Where'd you get point #4 from? We're not paying him alot. He's on a one year contract I believe

No upside to cutting him mid season but I could see demoting him.  I'm just not sure that we have any better options.

But he has to be gone after this season.  

Reggie Wayne is gone after next year too.  We need to sign a receiver in free agency and draft one high.  It is our #1 need by far at this point.

Yes!. Put DHB at Kick returner 

There I fixed it. 

The only time DHB is impressive is when he gets out in space and is able to use his speed (like on reverses). His routes aren't creating separation, and he can't catch the ball unless he does that stupid jump in the air thing and catch it with his body. 

Reed is garbage. The crowd's loudest cheers were when he STAYED in the in zone. So......

Since DHB loves Jugs machines, put it on max, point it up in the air, and practice returning punts/kickoffs. Put DHB back there and let him try using his speed for that. 

Knee jerk reaction thread #?

knee jerk reaction would have been after the first game or 2 of drops not considered knee jerk if it's a pattern of 9 games now is it? Some people on here see his hands are below avg and is costing us and others see he is a fast guy with size and just hope he will change from bad hands to good in the next game. At some point, youmhave to accept a player for what he is and DHB is a wr with terrible catching skills. Not the combo you look for.

No upside to cutting him mid season but I could see demoting him.  I'm just not sure that we have any better options.

But he has to be gone after this season.  

Reggie Wayne is gone after next year too.  We need to sign a receiver in free agency and draft one high.  It is our #1 need by far at this point.

I would argue that the oline is the #1, 2 and possibly 3rd priority so Luck has time to locate his options and a RB can run through at least a crease.

knee jerk reaction would have been after the first game or 2 of drops not considered knee jerk if it's a pattern of 9 games now is it? Some people on here see his hands are below avg and is costing us and others see he is a fast guy with size and just hope he will change from bad hands to good in the next game. At some point, youmhave to accept a player for what he is and DHB is a wr with terrible catching skills. Not the combo you look for.

DHB doesn't have bad hands! Heck he doesn't even use them. His shoulder pads need to be absorbent! Lol

I would argue that the oline is the #1, 2 and possibly 3rd priority so Luck has time to locate his options and a RB can run through at least a crease.

O-line can only protect for so long and can't stop a 6th player from coming in and pressuring Luck on the Blitz.  

Receivers have to be able to get open and then make the catch.

Besides who on the O-line needs to be replaced besides McGlynn and Satele?

O-line can only protect for so long and can't stop a 6th player from coming in and pressuring Luck on the Blitz.

It feels like our OLine can't protect for more than a second after the ball is snapped lol.

It feels like our OLine can't protect for more than a second after the ball is snapped lol.

I guess I have to ask where the weak link is?  

It's been a while since I've been able to watch a game in it's entirety.  Texans game I had to go to bed and the Rams game wasn't broadcast here.  So I'm curious as to who's giving up all these sacks?  

I guess I have to ask where the weak link is?

It's been a while since I've been able to watch a game in it's entirety. Texans game I had to go to bed and the Rams game wasn't broadcast here. So I'm curious as to who's giving up all these sacks?

They just don't block well as a unit at all. They don't gel well together, and it shows.

oline with mcglyn and satele needs replaced and Thornton, who is a rookie, has been over powered too often. If we could fix that center spot with a guy who could get some push or use his leverage, that would be a huge start. Saturday wasn't big but he used leverage and scheme well.

many times they had dhb, Whalen and reed. No Hilton. Made no sense

At all! Hilton needs to be on the field. If anything for the threat of throwing it to them. We might as well just hand out play list to the defense and tell them what we are doing. Cause that's pretty much what's going on now.

I was under the impression that DHB was starting because of his run blocking. When the team runs for 13 yards in a game it seems like maybe there are issues there. A WR that can't catch blocking for Running backs that can't run. Ugly stuff yesterday.

I knew I'd seen enough of him when the 3rd and 3 bounced off of his chest. It was the definition of not catching with hands. And I've been mentioning it, but yeah, his route running is really bad. 

DHB has no future with the Colts after this season, I'd guess. We need him this year, for better or worse.

Didn't Rogers say recently that he was not ready to play yet? Still learning the play book.

I believe he said he did not want to go back to finish school because he was still learning the playbook. He may know enough of the playbook to be useful. He has been here longer than Trent.

Trent time to go? Mcglynn time to go? Satele time to go? Hugh Thornton time to go? 

Trent and Thornton no, They are not gonna give up on Richardson after only a few games and giving up a 1st round pick......They also are not gonna give up on a rookie after only 7 starts

Source? I bet Griff has a higher drop rate so far. There s 0 benefit to cutting him or any of the people I mentioned (except for satele). Complete nonsense thread

Dustin always uses pff as his source, which if I recall, has DHB at around a 20% drop rate.

Trent time to go? Mcglynn time to go? Satele time to go? Hugh Thornton time to go? 

Thornton needs moved to the right side and put Reitz in on the left. Thornton will get much better in the future with more playing time he is a rookie playing out of his position. And he didn't start playing bad till he got hurt a few games back. Maybe he is still hurting some? :scratch:

Because a guy who's never played a significant down in the NFL MUST be better than him, right?

When I get depressed about losing a game, I can always count on this forum for some good laughs.

Well I guess you should be prepared to come back often to this forum the rest of the year for some more good laughs.  Our last second comebacks are not a way to sustain long term success, and now unfortunately I think things are starting to catch up to the Colts.