Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Through It All Bill Polian Takes Parting Shot At The Patriots*

HarassedOffTheSite

Definitely one of the things I appreciated about Polian, he did not play around when it came to the Patriots*.

Polian paused before adding, "And here's the most important thing of all — and it goes unfortunately unspoken because of the focus on the Super Bowl and the failure to win more than one Super Bowl: We did it — and Peyton did it — the right way, honestly, fairly and squarely"

I'm not going to do it. Some of our resident Pats fans are sticking up for our owner when they could've jumped on the assumptions bandwagon. I'm not 100% sure he's actually talking about the Patriots, I think it's just as likely he was saying " we did it our way , we stuck to our plan and it worked "

I'm not going to do it. Some of our resident Pats fans are sticking up for our owner when they could've jumped on the assumptions bandwagon. I'm not 100% sure he's actually talking about the Patriots, I think it's just as likely he was saying " we did it our way , we stuck to our plan and it worked "

I always find these kind of comments amusing.

If he had wanted to say "we did it our way, we stuck to our plan and it worked". He would've said "we did it our way, we stuck to our plan and it worked".

Instead he said "we did it....the right way, honestly, fairly and squarely"

One statement (yours) doesn't fit a narrative speaking directly to the cheating of other NFL teams during the Manning era (chief amongst them the *). The other statement (Bill Polian's) does.

The fact that you indicated an aversion to supporting the 1st (based on criteria that has nothing to do with the subject itself), undermines/discredits your implication of the 2nd.

I always find these kind of comments amusing.

If he had wanted to say "we did it our way, we stuck to our plan and it worked". He would've said "we did it our way, we stuck to our plan and it worked".

Instead he said "we did it....the right way, honestly, fairly and squarely"

One statement (yours) doesn't fit a narrative speaking directly to the cheating of other NFL teams during the Manning era (chief amongst them the *). The other statement (Bill Polian's) does.

The fact that you indicated an aversion to supporting the 1st (based on criteria that has nothing to do with the subject itself), undermines/discredits your implication of the 2nd.

How do you know he was talking about the Patriots, was he talking about spy gate or cheating in general?

I'm generally not a fan of reading into someone's comments. Where possible, I take them at face value. However, Bill Polian has long taken veiled digs at the Patriots over Spygate, and they often sounded just like this. It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together in this case.

Definitely one of the things I appreciated about Polian, he did not play around when it came to the Patriots*.

Hey ain't this the same Polian that after suffering a lost parleyed the rules committee into modifying the rules to benefit a passing team, chief among them was his very colts team . . . when one is supposed to be neutral and balanced on a committee goes out on the heels of a terrible loss and strong arms this committee into modifying the rules that coincidentally has a direct effect on his individual team should not be taken shots or speculating if another may or may not have does things fair and square . . .

when one wants to invoke fairness, good sportsmanship and all things neutral and beyond reproach then one must be their himself lest he be the one casting stones and doing the same in glass houses . . .   

Hey ain't this the same Polian that after suffering a lost parleyed the rules committee into modifying the rules to benefit a passing team, chief among them was his very colts team . . . when one is supposed to be neutral and balanced on a committee goes out on the heels of a terrible loss and strong arms this committee into modifying the rules that coincidentally has a direct effect on his individual team should not be taken shots or speculating if another may or may not have does things fair and square . . .

when one wants to invoke fairness, good sportsmanship and all things neutral and beyond reproach then one must be their himself lest he be the one casting stones and doing the same in glass houses . . .

the rules didn't change. The 5 yard contact rule had been in the books for years.

ironically, i have been standing up for Polian on these threads. lol. I don't care how he feels about the Pats honestly, he was a one of a kind of GM. I was always a fan of his and felt he got way too much blame for the Colts post-season losses and still does today apparently from his former owner. A real shame. And I don't blame him at all for wanting to change the rules to favor his team so they could beat the Pats. You do what you have to do to get an edge.

His comments may have been at the Saints too given they beat the Colts in the Super Bowl during bounty gate.

ironically, i have been standing up for Polian on these threads. lol. I don't care how he feels about the Pats honestly, he was a one of a kind of GM. I was always a fan of his and felt he got way too much blame for the Colts post-season losses and still does today apparently from his former owner. A real shame. And I don't blame him at all for wanting to change the rules to favor his team so they could beat the Pats. You do what you have to do to get an edge.

His comments may have been at the Saints too given they beat the Colts in the Super Bowl during bounty gate.

If I was Polian, I would point out the sterling record of the Indy GM who came before him.

It could be a shot at the Saints too, with their bounty scandal.  If that bounty wasn't in place and Brett Favre wasn't completely beat up, it's possible the Vikings would have won and we faced them in the Super Bowl.

It's the media that is assuming it's a shot at the Pats.

And good luck to the New England Patriots in staying out of this fight.  Polian has pulled them in by taking a backhanded shot at their three pre-Spygate Super Bowl rings.

“[H]ere’s the most important thing of all — and it goes unfortunately unspoken because of the focus on the Super Bowl and the failure to win more than one Super Bowl:  We did it — and Peyton did it — the right way, honestly, fairly and squarely.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/polian-jumps-in-to-the-irsay-manning-fray/

I don't really care who he meant honestly. Polian is gone forever...thank God! and IMO the Pats have become largely irrelevant to me for the last 5 yrs. or so. Since they haven't won anything in what...10 yrs. or something like that and since Manning is no longer here, they're not even a rival anymore to me.

It's the media that is assuming it's a shot at the Pats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/polian-jumps-in-to-the-irsay-manning-fray/

I don't really care who he meant honestly. Polian is gone forever...thank God! and IMO the Pats have become largely irrelevant to me for the last 5 yrs. or so. Since they haven't won anything in what...10 yrs. or something like that and since Manning is no longer here, they're not even a rival anymore to me.

Yeah..I mean they only went to 2 Super Bowls and lost on last second drives so it's a stretch to say they are irrelevant...Like them or not, and I HATE them...

Yeah..I mean they only went to 2 Super Bowls and lost on last second drives so it's a stretch to say they are irrelevant...Like them or not, and I HATE them...

I said they were irrelevant to me. Most of the reason why the rival grew into what it did is because of the Manning vs. Brady debate and how many rings each have. Brady hasn't won a ring in yrs. and yrs. and Manning is no longer a Colt, so IMO they aren't a rival anymore and are irrelevant to me. I use to hate them with a passion, I use to watch their games against other teams just to root for them to lose, but now I couldn't care less what they do. I pay no attention to them at all because the rival just isn't there anymore.

there was a long history of losing prior to 98

So? The '11 team was awful to watch, although we may have won a few extra had Orlovsky got the nod sooner. Ray Lewis said on NFLN once the Colts weren't a very good team without Peyton Manning. He was proven right in 2011, and Polian is gone because of it.

Are you trying to be sarcastic or are you really not 100% sure this was not a shot at the Pat's ?

No I'm not sure Polian is taking a shot at the Pats, why would he? This is the same problem with Irsay's comments, people assume too much.

Hey ain't this the same Polian that after suffering a lost parleyed the rules committee into modifying the rules to benefit a passing team, chief among them was his very colts team . . . when one is supposed to be neutral and balanced on a committee goes out on the heels of a terrible loss and strong arms this committee into modifying the rules that coincidentally has a direct effect on his individual team should not be taken shots or speculating if another may or may not have does things fair and square . . .

when one wants to invoke fairness, good sportsmanship and all things neutral and beyond reproach then one must be their himself lest he be the one casting stones and doing the same in glass houses . . .   

haha Don't worry-- no love lost with Bill Polian here; that man slashed the tires on a potential 16-0 season.

Not a shot at all, I think he has been fighting back to the Irsay comments, and this is how he truthfully feels about his and his teamates/coaches legacy they left.

He has been fighting back the last couple days and has been pressed.  I'm glad for the man, taking a final stand with that statement.  No shot, he was stating he is proud of the way they went about things, and what they accomplished.  

Its a darn shame... The circus in 2 days has tried to tarnish a decade plus of dominance.   

A Patriot fan should know that rules are made to be broken... you just have to be smart enough to not get caught.

I said they were irrelevant to me. Most of the reason why the rival grew into what it did is because of the Manning vs. Brady debate and how many rings each have. Brady hasn't won a ring in yrs. and yrs. and Manning is no longer a Colt, so IMO they aren't a rival anymore and are irrelevant to me. I use to hate them with a passion, I use to watch their games against other teams just to root for them to lose, but now I couldn't care less what they do. I pay no attention to them at all because the rival just isn't there anymore.

My sentiments exactly. I used to think it was the Colts but you are right it was the Brady/Manning rivarly. I think once you moved out of the East, it was no longer a divisional thing either. I find myself rooting for the Colts now. I really like Luck and loved Arians last year. I am hoping for a win Sunday so the Pats and Broncos will be tied record wise assuming we beat the Jets. Although I think the Chiefs may not lose a game until they play the Broncs ...

Love this haha

I'd rather not have a dynasty then to have a tarnished daynasty from cheating I will forever hate the patriots

Back when spygate happened, Peter King said that he thought in time spygate would prove to be what it was - one of the most overblown sports stories of all time. I think he has been right largely. Rivals will always bring it up but I rarely hear it in the media anymore. The violation was for the location of the cameras being on the sideline not for the taping of the signals so I guess you can view it as you want but I am sure that the Pats and other teams are still taping signals just from a different location in the stadium. I think had they been using the information in games then I would feel differently but it was no differnet then the old days when a team rep would sit up in the owners box and just scribble down the signs he was seeing. The videotaping just made that process easier and quicker. And of course the Pats record since spygate and Brady's performance pretty much have shown that whatever advantage they got was very small in the scope of things.

One other thing that I have always been proud of as well is the fact that the Pats and Bill owned it from the get go. They never appealed their fines or the draft pick, never made any excuses or finger pointed and after it happened they hired lawyers to go over the NFL rule book in detail to ensure something like that never happens again. Now compare that to the Saints and bountygate.

I don't know...........as long as we are interpreting people, who's to say that it wasn't a shot at the colts?  He was talking about the Colts afterall.

Honestly........I'm starting to feel like professional football = professional wrestling.............mostly ACTING

I have been astounded at how a benign comment has generated so many vicious comments................which are apparently OK

the rules didn't change. The 5 yard contact rule had been in the books for years.

no the rule did change and there was an additional emphasis on the rule . . . true the 5 yard contact rule has been in the books since the 70s, but they modified it over the 2003 season . . .

haha Don't worry-- no love lost with Bill Polian here; that man slashed the tires on a potential 16-0 season.

yes it is too bad that the colts did not leave their starters in weeks 16 and 17 in 2009 and let the chips fall as they may . . . I fully understand the concept of resting their starters and the larger goal, the SB, and that one wishes to be consistent with their philosophy from prior years, but 19-0 is a once in lifetime opportunity and it should have been at least left to players to vote on it . . .