Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is all of the crying about?

BlueShoe

We lost to a very good team and it really could have gone either way. The Colts and the Dolphins are the future of the AFC and that writing has been on the wall for well over a year now. They are going to win some games against us and we are going to win some against them. Get used to it.

On some positive notes:

1. Landry is the fastest person on the field at all times. No offensive player we have played against can outrun him. He destroyed Brian Hartline early in the second quarter.

2. Hugh Thornton replaced injured Thomas at LG and played very well. We have a 10-15 year starting guard and we got him with the 86th pick in the draft. He made a play on the second drive that was amazing. On third down just before we kicked the field goal; Thornton dives through the air, over the top of Castonzo, and saves Luck from getting hit. 

3. Fleener is finally getting it at the NFL level. I made it an emphasis to watch him closely at the game to try to understand why he isn’t further ahead. Well, sometimes it takes players longer, and my conclusion is that he just has a different learning curve. He is a nightmare of a mismatch. On his first touchdown reception, he and Reggie were running a Hi-Lo route, and I thought Luck was looking at Reggie all the way. I said to myself; Please do not throw that ball Drew. Fleener cleared and Luck tossed it perfectly over the top. Fleener has some skills and he was robbed of a two touchdown performance. 

4. We saw what our pass rush is and it was good. A team should never be upset with a 5 sack day. Over a 16 week season that equals 80 sacks, and would break an NFL record that has stood for 30 years. We had a few different segments of back-to-back plays where pressure on the quarterback had huge impacts on the game, causing Tannehill to fumble a few times. One fumble was recovered by the Colts and the other was on third down and forced the Dolphins to punt. 

5. Bradshaw ran the ball well. He is a tough runner in between the tackles and not easy to bring down. He also proved to be an effective receiver on check downs. 

6. Bjoern Werner had a few nice plays and got some pressure early in the second quarter to get a half a sack. The crowd absolutely loved it. Give him time. Remember, we took our time with Freeney too. 

7. We are getting pressure on punters and kickers. That early Punt that only traveled 25 yards was because of pressure from the right side. On the final play of the first half, we had three players getting pressure on the kick. We will block a kick or punt soon.

8. Luck’s pocket presence has always been outstanding, but he is getting even better every game. He moved great in the pocket to buy more time. He amazes me with his ability to escape would be sacks and get first downs. 

9. Our offensive line enjoys run blocking. On the Bradshaw touchdown run, every player on the OL was more excited than I have seen them in 10 years. McGlynn, Cherilus, and Satele were jumping up and down in the end zone.  This line has taken a beating by fans for years, and deservingly so, but the swagger is changing and it is very noticeable. 

10. Griff Whalen made some nice plays. On the interception to Wayne, he was wide open, but Luck was moving in the pocket and did not see him. The young man knows how to get open and shows good hands. 

The Dolphins made some plays:

They get paid too and they are not just there to let us do what we want. Brent Grimes made plays on the first drive that resulted in us getting no points. I can’t believe I am typing this, but Wheeler made some huge plays in the game. There was a moment when I said to everyone, I really do not remember Wheeler making this many plays as a Colt. Wheeler tipped a ball near the end of the third quarter headed for TY, and had that ball got there then TY scores from the 50, as no one was there to catch him.

This methodical offense slows down the game and will take some time for Colts fans to adjust to. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Before we know they will all be grown up.

Things to improve:

Back-to-back plays – In the first half, Bethea went for the pick and missed, allowing Clay to make a huge play all the way down to the Colts 10. On the very next play Vontae let Miller run right around him for a 10 yard score. These 2 plays resulted in 7 points.

My only criticism is that I am not a fan of the sweeps. I think we are built more to just run north and south. That is just my opinion, and maybe something I need to have patience until we fully develop.

In the first quarter, we outgained the Dolphins in rushing yards, passing yards, had more first downs, and owned the time of possession, but we trailed 14-3.  We also dominated the statistics at half time with over 18 minutes in time of possession, 16 first downs, 74 rushing yards, 241 passing yards, and 315 yards of offense, all without turning the ball over. We are a young team, in a new offense, and we will learn to complete drives and stay consistent throughout the entire game. To put it as simple as possible, this game was the tale of two half’s.

The Dolphins played a good game. Give credit where it is due and move on already. San Fran will be a good game too.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this thread. As you stated there were a ton of positives to take away from this game. Sure we lost and have things to work on, but we saw improvement in many areas. I don't think we are a bad team, I think we will win some games that people don't expect us too. It's not all doom and gloom from here folks. We're headed on the up, and have a lot of good football left in us. 

Nice thread, well put.  We're still a young team that will be competing for years and as a fan that's all I can ask for.

Only complaint I have is why was Donald Brown in during our last drive?  We were going to throw the ball, so why not have the best rated pass blocking RB in at the time (Ahmad Bradshaw).  He was having a great game too.  I guess these new coaches don't know how many times Donald Brown whiffed on a block during the Manning era.

I can't wait until we finally settle down as a team and find out who we really are.  Which I think will happen near the bye week.  Pagano, Pep, and Manusky are going to adjust and make improvements.  I still have faith.

I'd like to add to the list of positives Angerer looked good in his first extended action since getting fully healthy.

I thought his hits were crisp...his overall awareness was excellent....

He got burnt on the huge play from Tannehill to Clay, but he should have had 'some' support there.  Still it was a big mistake.  He and Landry with 11 tackles apiece....fun to watch good hits...and wrap up tackling. :thmup:

I thought his hits were crisp...his overall awareness was excellent....

He got burnt on the huge play from Tannehill to Clay, but he should have had 'some' support there. Still it was a big mistake. He and Landry with 11 tackles apiece....fun to watch good hits...and wrap up tackling. :thmup:

someone pointed out he did what he was supposed there the safety was out of position take that for what it's worth.

We lost to a very good team and it really could have gone either way. The Colts and the Dolphins are the future of the AFC and that writing has been on the wall for well over a year now. They are going to win some games against us and we are going to win some against them. Get used to it.

On some positive notes:

3. Fleener is finally getting it at the NFL level. I made it an emphasis to watch him closely at the game to try to understand why he isn’t further ahead. Well, sometimes it takes players longer, and my conclusion is that he just has a different learning curve. He is a nightmare of a mismatch. On his first touchdown reception, he and Reggie were running a Hi-Lo route, and I thought Luck was looking at Reggie all the way. I said to myself; Please do not throw that ball Drew. Fleener cleared and Luck tossed it perfectly over the top. Fleener has some skills and he was robbed of a two touchdown performance. 

8. Luck’s pocket presence has always been outstanding, but he is getting even better every game. He moved great in the pocket to buy more time. He amazes me with his ability to escape would be sacks and get first downs. 

Agree with most of what you said but wanted to add on to #3 and #8

3.  I'm with you.  I think a lot of people expect results now and while there is some merit to that, when it comes to draft picks, you gotta give them time.  Sure you can tell the obvious ones that can be cut by the end of training camp or those that will be studs.  In the middle is where the vast majority of players fall, including Fleener.  He's got upside, but how he develops, and how quickly, is the question.  This is usually a 2-3 year process and we are just now entering year 2.  Jimmy Graham, Jason Witten, didn't have their breakout season until their second season.  And arguably the greatest TE of all time, Tony Gonzalez, it was in his 3rd year.  Gotta be patient.  If he's not showing any better in his 3rd season, yeah, we mucked that draft pick up.

8.  Thought his pocket presence in the 4th quarter was off.  He was trying to do too much and when his first read wasn't there, he was in that hesitation mode far too often where he can't figure out whether he wants to run or throw.  In that time, pressure closed in and thankfully his athleticism saved our skins.  I think his performance overall was good, but it wasn't his best by far.

Great thread and agree. What I notice is like Dungey always used to say(the game comes down to a handf of plays) that's what hurt us. On one hand we look great. Then we have a blown coverage or penalty that hurt us. Also we come out on our heals on D. Not sure if that's just a lack of playing together or what. First half at calling is usual good. I notice its more second half we become more predictable at times.

All that said. Miami is like ourselves. A young up and coming team. They will be claiming their division soon. They have very good coaching also.

Great thread and agree. What I notice is like Dungey always used to say(the game comes down to a handf of plays) that's what hurt us. On one hand we look great. Then we have a blown coverage or penalty that hurt us. Also we come out on our heals on D. Not sure if that's just a lack of playing together or what. First half at calling is usual good. I notice its more second half we become more predictable at times.

All that said. Miami is like ourselves. A young up and coming team. They will be claiming their division soon. They have very good coaching also.

also I think Miami wanted this one bad judging by how their players talked leading up to the game how they reacted yesterday. Yesterday might have been a matchup of the best two young teams in the AFC. Also Tannehill has quietly become a good QB and him and Luck could be rivals for a long time.

Ok folks a missed field goal lost the game,all do respect to Adam V,your times up,we cant afford these,if its made all we needed was a field goal plain and simple.McMannus is still out there go get him for that reliable leg !!!!

any idea what the league average is in kicks over 50 yards? all kickers miss from time to time

any idea what the league average is in kicks over 50 yards? all kickers miss from time to time

I said before the season how AV is struggling to hit from 50 out.  I watched him for 40 minutes in practice before the Buffalo preseason game.  He has to give 'everything thing his soon to be 41 year-old leg' to kick long one's now...and they hook to the left almost every time.

I also said I would have a hard time releasing him....I think McManus was the real deal (smooth as silk from 50-60)....AV is due for a hammy setback...I hope he (McManus) is on speed dial.  

Maybe but we will never know,and Luck is a good QB,love Peyton but have moved on,Im about this team.

Peyton threw a worse int in the Raven game last year. (Super Bowl....newwwww...no)

Reggie should have been playing 'defensive back' on the Luck INT.

Note...I love Peyton and I love number 12!!!   :)

I'm not crying

Going to take more than that to make me cry

even then,not sure I'd ever cry over a football game

I still remember all those years of losing all the time and coming away saying "NEXT TIME FOR SURE"

Great point been through it as well,just think we need a tweek here and there and this will be a mute point