Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Pep Today

aliveon2legs

I liked the call to go for it I just didn't like the play call.  I thought they should have been reversed run the play action on third down and then if it doesn't work run it on fourth down.

I don't know about that, teams like to blitz if you go or 4th and short, to either stuff a run or to sack the QB. PA can lead to more QB pressure in the wrong situation. 4th and short you need to be very deliberate with a short pass or a power run formation. Bootlegs are a bad choice too IMO.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that, teams like to blitz if you go or 4th and short, to either stuff a run or to sack the QB. PA can lead to more QB pressure in the wrong situation. 4th and short you need to be very deliberate with a short pass or a power run formation. Bootlegs are a bad choice too IMO.

Yes, this. Just run quick slants, or screen if they won't stop biltzing.

Yes, this. Just run quick slants, or screen if they won't stop biltzing.

I always thought if you know it's coming or recognise the blitz throw out the PA as nothing positive will come from it.

It was fairly obvious they would send a blitz the play, a quick slant like they ran for their TD would have been a better choice. That or trust Ballard between the tackles.

Beyond that, I think 2 back, power formations hinder the versatility of an offense, and in our case, takes arguably our best play maker off the field for half the game. We don't have to always power run out of condensed formations. This is a passing, no huddle, up tempo league now. Some of that needs to be incorporated into the offense. We have too good a quarterback not to

So true!

I understand the emphasis on balance play calling etc... And I know Miami defense is pretty good but when run doesn't work and you have A Luck as your signal caller why not let him air it out darn I mean they are loading the box and you call a run?

he aired it out, how did you like that?

He has yet to impress me. We got a lead and he goes run, run, run. Not how you play NFL football.

Then the plays we called from the 23 on our last drive made no sense at all. We were throwing for the end zone and not trying to keep the chains moving until 3rd and 10. 

We are NOT a power running team. Not. At all. Not even close. 

Someone should tell him. He obviously has no idea. 

Confused on our 2 minute play calling. We shouldn't have lost that game. 

They had plenty of time to run any type of play they wanted - quick hitters, quick outs, etc.  You had 1:30 remaining with the ball on the 25.  Move the ball, run out the clock.  Instead, they went 10-20 yards down the field with every pass.  Why Donald Brown was in the game, I have no idea. 

Overall, the game management and situational play calling left me scratching my head for 60 minutes.  When you had the Dolphins on their heels and should have been aggressive, you weren't.  You threw away downs and points telegraphing runs.  When you had a chance to win the game and should have been reeled in, you were overly-aggressive.  Decisions:  the Donald Brown power run on 3rd and 2 & 1/2 probably swung the game.  A 52 yard FG attempt on the opening drive of the game?  At the end of the 1st half you could have burned more time.  And so on. 

Luck's INT was a terrible decision, but the situational play calling and poor game management was more of a problem. 

It's been awhile since I've been on the boards...new kid and all...

But I'm not sure whether to be shocked or impressed that there's a "Fire Pep" board already.  After two games?

Let's face it.  Almost no one can follow Arians' year.  I say give Pep time.  Sure, the two minute drill looks lacking today, and I question the play calling a little.  But I don't think this team is quite in fifth gear yet.  I think I'll evaluate Pep's offense around say mid-season before I jump on board here.

Naked bootleg...perfect.

Called that before the play and my wife said what??? This game is just stupid lol...Then they ran it and we scored and I was like I called it and she shook her head and went back to the dishes.  I love her so very much...she tries to watch the game with me and even puts on her little Colts shirt but she does it just out of love...because its like me looking at a Sudoku book for her and football. God bless america!

Pep's play calling looks awesome. We absolutely controlled the 9ers in their own house.

That is all.

I hate to be pessimistic after we just blew out the 49ers at home, but I wasn't a huge fan of the play calling. It's way too predictable still. There were a few calls, like the bootleg, and one of the long Bradshaw runs with two back next to luck that were good with deceit, but I still want to see more play action, and I want to see more use of Luck's arm, also I'd like to see us not be so predictable calling for a run on 1st down something like 90% of the time.

I hate to be pessimistic after we just blew out the 49ers at home, but I wasn't a huge fan of the play calling. It's way too predictable still. There were a few calls, like the bootleg, and one of the long Bradshaw runs with two back next to luck that were good with deceit, but I still want to see more play action, and I want to see more use of Luck's arm, also I'd like to see us not be so predictable calling for a run on 1st down something like 90% of the time.

I could hand you a $50 bill and you'd find a reason to be upset about it

I could hand you a $50 bill and you'd find a reason to be upset about it

LOL, where did that come from? I'm probably one of the most optimistic fans here. At least 10x More optimistic about the colts than yourself that is for sure.

I'm just pointing out that the offense was entirely predictable, and too conservative. Nothing wrong with that, it's something we need to work on, but hey we still won.

LOL, where did that come from? I'm probably one of the most optimistic fans here. At least 10x More optimistic about the colts than yourself that is for sure.

I'm just pointing out that the offense was entirely predictable, and too conservative. Nothing wrong with that, it's something we need to work on, but hey we still won.

where did THAT come from?  you have no idea what my level of optimism is for the colts. ;)

Yeah, this was a players effort and a great D effort....as for Pep, not so much.