Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Pep Today

aliveon2legs

Well, if we use the first game of the season, first ever by our OC in the NFL as a filter to view the whole season, then we are doomed. Along that line is the Patriots, the Steelers, and the Bucs....they all played teams they were suppose to blow out.

Something tells me that at least three of those four will be just fine.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if we use the first game of the season, first ever by our OC in the NFL as a filter to view the whole season, then we are doomed. Along that line is the Patriots, the Steelers, and the Bucs....they all played teams they were suppose to blow out.

Something tells me that at least three of those four will be just fine.

Oddly enough I'd be most worried as Bucs fan, seems like Freeman has "lost" the players around him. That penalty at the end of game too was one of most stupidest things I've ever seen. 

Usually agree reading your posts 95% of the time but this is one of the times I don't. What I saw were all out jailbreaks in the 2nd half and it's kind of hard to adjust when you don't have the personnel on the field to make them pay. Lining up in the power I with one wr doesn't leave you with many options. Can you imagine sending multiply db blitzes against Brees, Brady, Peyton or Rogers? Sean Payton would be licking his chops with the playcalling and formations. A lot on this board want to point to the efficiency of this game but they played a bad team at home. I hope Pep doesn't have that Polian mentality and refuse to alter out of stubborness. (see o-line) Let's try making a couple of changes or Luck will get hurt short passes or not.

I don't like the excesssive power formations either but you're exaggering quite a bit. A number of Luck's sacks and pressures in the 2nd half came from out of spread formations with 3-4 receiver/TE sets. He just failed to pick them up. I only recall 1 or 2 plays where he was in power I and was disrupted in the pass game via blitz

You cannot 'power run' if you don't have the O-line for it, and we don't.

Adjust your thinking, Pep.

Beyond that, I think 2 back, power formations hinder the versatility of an offense, and in our case, takes arguably our best play maker off the field for half the game. We don't have to always power run out of condensed formations. This is a passing, no huddle, up tempo league now. Some of that needs to be incorporated into the offense. We have too good a quarterback not to

why fired him look at this rreason they did what they could too luck .

Tarver served as co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Stanford in 2011, after spending 10 seasons in various coaching capacities with the San Francisco 49ers.

Tarver was appointed co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Stanford in February 2011 and coordinated one of the top defensive units in the PAC-12. The Cardinal ranked either first or second in the conference in six defensive categories, rushing defense (first-84.4), third-down conversion defense (first-31.1), scoring defense (second-21.9), total defense (second-337.6), sacks per game (second-3.0) and opponent first downs (second-17.5). Stanford finished third nationally in rushing defense, sixth in third-down-conversion defense (31.0; 51-164) and 11th in sacks per game (3.0).

We will be fine.  Pep's first NFL game as an OC.  We ran the ball better than we have in years.  Would I like to put up more points? Yes and they will.  Our D couldn't get off the field with Prior making play after play out of the pocket.  They will realize TY needs to be in the game more.  Also seemed to me the sacks and pressure Luck took were from a lot of DB blitzes.  Luck has got to see that and throw the hot route, not like he doesnt have Reggie who is very use to saving a QB in that situation.

You cannot 'power run' if you don't have the O-line for it, and we don't.

Adjust your thinking, Pep.

Maybe he can not adjust for now. Maybe some of the other players are not ready to handle the blitz and instead of 4 sacks Luck would have had 8 sacks.

Sack 1- came by Branch, Luck did a play action to the right side then rolled out to the left which made the LOLB bite just enough so Luck could break contain, Luck was looking down field but did not see anything so he tucked it and got what was available for him to get...-2 yard loss (an argument could be made he could have thrown it out of bounds on the left side line, Have not seen the All 22 yet so I cant say)

Sack 2-I put on Luck, He had Fleener out in the flat, Looks like Wayne  beat his coverage also. Luck appeared to look at Wayne and then Hilton (Castonzo got whipped pretty quck on that play though but not so quick Luck did not have time to get the ball to Coby)

Sack 3-I put on Bey, It appeared Lucks first read was to Bey (makes sense because the Corner on him was playing off him and he looked that way after the snap 1st). Wr's have to recognize when the other team is bringing more players then what the O Line can block

Sack 4-Play action roll out to the right side, The play looked to be drawn up to go to Fleener but he could not get off his block which threw off the timing of the play, Hunter did not bite on the play action at which point I think Luck should have thrown the ball out of bounds, That was the controversial 4th and 1 play...I personally would not have went for it but we were in Oakland territory at that point, Either way it didn't make or break the game. The play was poorly executed

Sack 1- came by Branch, Luck did a play action to the right side then rolled out to the left which made the LOLB bite just enough so Luck could break contain, Luck was looking down field but did not see anything so he tucked it and got what was available for him to get...-2 yard loss (an argument could be made he could have thrown it out of bounds on the left side line, Have not seen the All 22 yet so I cant say)

Sack 2-I put on Luck, He had Fleener out in the flat, Looks like Wayne  beat his coverage also. Luck appeared to look at Wayne and then Hilton (Castonzo got whipped pretty quck on that play though but not so quick Luck did not have time to get the ball to Coby)

Sack 3-I put on Bey, It appeared Lucks first read was to Bey (makes sense because the Corner on him was playing off him and he looked that way after the snap 1st). Wr's have to recognize when the other team is bringing more players then what the O Line can block

Sack 4-Play action roll out to the right side, The play looked to be drawn up to go to Fleener but he could not get off his block which threw off the timing of the play, Hunter did not bite on the play action at which point I think Luck should have thrown the ball out of bounds, That was the controversial 4th and 1 play...I personally would not have went for it but we were in Oakland territory at that point, Either way it didn't make or break the game. The play was poorly executed

Sack 4 could have been costly since the Raiders took the lead on the drive following the sack. We should have probably punted.

Good teams make adjustments...even in the middle of the game. 

It is adjust or lose...take your pick, Pep.

Maybe the players have to learn to respond to the blitz within the framework of the offense. You can call for adjustments all you want as an OC but if players don't know how to respond you just do the best you can until they learn.

Sack 4 could have been costly since the Raiders took the lead on the drive following the sack. We should have probably punted.

It's easy to say that in hindsight. I personally love the decision to go for it in that situation, regardless of the score. I think that's the perfect situation to go for it, practically every time.

It's easy to say that in hindsight. I personally love the decision to go for it in that situation, regardless of the score. I think that's the perfect situation to go for it, practically every time.

I liked the call to go for it I just didn't like the play call.  I thought they should have been reversed run the play action on third down and then if it doesn't work run it on fourth down. 

Maybe the players have to learn to respond to the blitz within the framework of the offense. You can call for adjustments all you want as an OC but if players don't know how to respond you just do the best you can until they learn.

Unless Pep is asking them to do things they are incapable of with their level of skill...nothing to do with learning, it may be beyond the players' capabilities.

We will agree to disagree. We had been stuffed on third down for no gain. If we punt we stand a good chance of pinning them inside the 20 or maybe the 10. By forcing them to drive the whole field instead of about 45 yds our defense has a better chance. Even if Luck gets rid of the ball they still have great field position. Pagano in his press conference admitted the coaches made some mistakes and I believe this was one of them. I would have felt that way during the decision without hindsight.

Unless Pep is asking them to do things they are incapable of with their level of skill...nothing to do with learning, it may be beyond the players' capabilities.

I don't think It is skill level. Peyton and Marvin used to recognize a defense and attack it with a nod from each other. Luck and his hot receivers have to read the same thing and react accordingly.

We will agree to disagree. We had been stuffed on third down for no gain. If we punt we stand a good chance of pinning them inside the 20 or maybe the 10. By forcing them to drive the whole field instead of about 45 yds our defense has a better chance. Even if Luck gets rid of the ball they still have great field position. Pagano in his press conference admitted the coaches made some mistakes and I believe this was one of them. I would have felt that way during the decision without hindsight.

I just think 4th and 2 from that spot on the field is a go for it spot, practically every time. I think coaches should be more liberal with that decision in general.

I don't think It is skill level. Peyton and Marvin used to recognize a defense and attack it with a nod from each other. Luck and his hot receivers have to read the same thing and react accordingly.

Oh, I wasn't talking about adjustments at the line of scrimmage...

I was talking about the OC making adjustments to the game plays to put his personnel in better situations to succeed.

I'm assuming its the guy with the huge playsheet calling in the plays.

I understand what you're saying....  Harbaugh always had the same sheet in his hand.

The call comes down from the OC in the Press Box...  and Shaw either approves it, or changes it at his discretion.   It's not clear how often that Shaw changes things.    Not sure anyone other than Shaw and Pep truly knows.

Believe me,  I have my concerns about Pep.   I have voiced them since the day he was hired.   I haven't seen the week #1 game vs. Oakland yet...   I hope to sometime this week...   I'm sure I will, just don't know when.... 

The biggest thing in his favor, is that Luck gave a 100% endorsement.   I don't think Grigson/Pagano would've hired him without Luck's approval, and I don't think Luck would've said yes if he wasn't very, very confident in Pep.

Whether that's a good call from Andrew we won't know for four more months.....

DHB did a fine job and got a game ball, Fleener wasn't targeted much. I really have no complaints other than with the Oline and play calling on both sides of the ball. I'd like to see more Hilton too but we didn't get that many plays on offense.

Wasnt fleener only targeted once?

I firmly agree with you here, you're not gaining all that much punting. I also believe in going for it on 4th & Goal, every time, well unless you're in a position of FG to win it. Grantland had a good piece showing your better off in the long run as a team doing this. 

The only thing I can think to counter this argument is if you could trust your punter to put it in the coffin every time and force the opposition to be playing out from their 10 or worse, but does't seem like many punters go for this. 

Oh, I wasn't talking about adjustments at the line of scrimmage...

I was talking about the OC making adjustments to the game plays to put his personnel in better situations to succeed.

I agree the personel limits what the OC can do. I don't think McGlynn is stout enough to prevent penetration up the middle or athletic enough to pull and trap. Satele is also not strong enough to prevent penetration. These two players greatly affect game planning.

I agree the personel limits what the OC can do. I don't think McGlynn is stout enough to prevent penetration up the middle or athletic enough to pull and trap. Satele is also not strong enough to prevent penetration. These two players greatly affect game planning.

I have to disagree somewhat, I think MyGlynn would be best utilsed in a pulling role, maybe if he pulled all the way out to the sideline and stayed there.

why fired him look at this rreason they did what they could too luck .

Tarver served as co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Stanford in 2011, after spending 10 seasons in various coaching capacities with the San Francisco 49ers.

Tarver was appointed co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Stanford in February 2011 and coordinated one of the top defensive units in the PAC-12. The Cardinal ranked either first or second in the conference in six defensive categories, rushing defense (first-84.4), third-down conversion defense (first-31.1), scoring defense (second-21.9), total defense (second-337.6), sacks per game (second-3.0) and opponent first downs (second-17.5). Stanford finished third nationally in rushing defense, sixth in third-down-conversion defense (31.0; 51-164) and 11th in sacks per game (3.0).

This.  Tarver knew what defensive plays to utilize to counter our Offense.    

If anyone had been paying attention to the first pre-season game vs the Bills, they would have seen this coming. EJ ran all over our D and we came out of it with a loss. Fortunately, we were able to pull out the win this week and in the end, thats all that matters.

Yes, our defense does need to work on containment, there is no question about that.

To rip on Pep for not getting the ball to TY may be uncalled for. Andrew was taking what the defense was giving him and they had TY locked up for most of the game. The o-line was unable to hold the pocket long enough for the deep passes to TY to develop. I know this is a win now league and thats just what Pep and Chuck did, win. Ugly? yes but a win is a win.

To quote Al, "just win baby!"

worst thread ever nominee

I was getting ready to type this^^^^  I am glad I held off...:)

I will say asinine should be relevant here, but only is asinine was spelled with a double consonant.  

Wit what 8 total possessions and 3 TDs......sounds to me like we did just fine...16 possessions next week  18...let Peps playcalling begin...with emphasis on TEs and spreading the wealth.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!

NFL%20Colts%202(3).jpg