Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Pep Today

aliveon2legs

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't the most exciting thing to watch...but they punched the 49ers in the mouth and kept coming.  Do you realize we have a run game [at least for the first 3 games]? I want to see Luck light it up, but if drilling the opposing D into the dirt with our run game gets a W, who am I too complain?

Oh I loved what I saw today.  It was like watching us in the playoffs in 2006!  It might not be as flashy as watching us throw deep passes and maybe that's what you are getting at but I'll take 16 more games (enough to win a Super Bowl) of what I saw today this season and be extremely entertained :)

It wasn't the most exciting thing to watch...but they punched the 49ers in the mouth and kept coming.  Do you realize we have a run game [at least for the first 3 games]? I want to see Luck light it up, but if drilling the opposing D into the dirt with our run game gets a W, who am I too complain?

I agree, but I'm concerned because this is two weeks in a row we've done the same thing, difference is that it worked this week.

I looked at your posts, Been through 2 pages so far, haven't seen anything positive yet. Just a lot of sarcasm.

so in other words, you have found nothing that would indicate what my level of optimism is?  gotcha.  that's kinda what I said before.  and there would be a lot less sarcasm if there were a lot less ridiculousness from some of the people on here.  such as complaining about the play-calling right after the colts offense had their way with one of the best defenses in the league.  :thmup:

so in other words, you have found nothing that would indicate what my level of optimism is?  gotcha.  that's kinda what I said before.  and there would be a lot less sarcasm if there were a lot less ridiculousness from some of the people on here.  such as complaining about the play-calling right after the colts offense had their way with one of the best defenses in the league.  :thmup:

Or maybe I found everything I need, since it's a subjective topic, I'll choose to err on the side of caution and use facts that are readily available. My positive Post count > Your Positive post count.

If you think a 60/40 split of rush to pass is the answer and great play calling as well as a good use of our QB then I guess we should trade Luck for Alex Smith. 

I can't wait to see some more "Colts need to run the ball more," threads.

yeah the last regime pretty much ruined that idea of a thread long before it even had a chance to be made, It its what it is, we came in and punched the the 49ers in the mouth repeatedly and flat our took the game from them, we definitly did not steal a win, we earned it

Or maybe I found everything I need, since it's a subjective topic, I'll choose to err on the side of caution and use facts that are readily available. My positive Post count > Your Positive post count.

If you think a 60/40 split of rush to pass is the answer and great play calling as well as a good use of our QB then we should trade Luck for Alex Smith. 

you learned nothing from what a good run game could do for the overall effiiciency of an offense from when Edge was with Manning I see

Oh I loved what I saw today.  It was like watching us in the playoffs in 2006!  It might not be as flashy as watching us throw deep passes and maybe that's what you are getting at but I'll take 16 more games (enough to win a Super Bowl) of what I saw today this season and be extremely entertained :)

That is what I was getting at.  It wasn't flashy (therefore not as exciting for me). I'm not going to nitpick (they won, and it wasn't even that close), it's just a preference. 

you learned nothing from what a good run game could do for the overall effiiciency of an offense from when Edge was with Manning I see

I know what wins championships, and it's not a 60/40 run to pass split.

Manning used play action effectively defenses were constantly biting, but our play action is fake and readable. Also, Manning would never run it 90% on first down, and Manning would ALWAYS take his shot to the outside when there are 8 in the box, where we just run it up the gut for 2 yards.

Maybe it's too early. Maybe the plan will work out in the end and everything I mentioned above will come to shape with time, I'm just worried that we will become that team that rides the run to the playoffs and then fails miserably against a high powered offense. 

That is what I was getting at.  It wasn't flashy (therefore not as exciting for me). I'm not going to nitpick (they won, and it wasn't even that close), it's just a preference. 

No problem with it I love a big pass play as much as the next person.  Just if you told me the Colts were going to dominate teams like they did the 49ers did today I would sign up for that all my life even if it wasn't that flashy and I am sure we both agree on that!

I know what wins championships, and it's not a 60/40 run to pass split.

Alright rather then get into a pointless debate about something your not going to listen to and give a little on I will just leave you with these key numbers.......

February 4th

25 of 38

Ill leave you to look up the key date and the numbers that go along with that key date in Colts history

Alright rather then get into a pointless debate about something your not going to listen to and give a little on I will just leave you with these key numbers.......

February 4th

25 of 38

Ill leave you to look up the key date and the numbers that go along with that key date in Colts history

50/50 split. Thanks for proving my point.

If you think a 60/40 split of rush to pass is the answer and great play calling as well as a good use of our QB then I guess we should trade Luck for Alex Smith. 

Well that 60-40 split worked to beat one of the best defenses in the league, so there's that.  And yes I do think this is an excellent use of our QB.  Luck is a far better passer off of play action and that goes back to when I first started watching him his final year at stanford.  You're also failing to take into account that this is only the third week in a new offensive scheme.   I also think your comment

I agree, but I'm concerned because this is two weeks in a row we've done the same thing, difference is that it worked this week.

is right up there with Buddy Ryan's famous comment explaining why he released Chris Carter, "all he does is catch touchdowns".  

As for the positive posts thing, lol is all I can say.  Rejoice in your higher positive post count.  Just keep in mind, Hitler would have gotten a lot of "likes" from his fellow Nazi's had message boards been around back then.  That certainly doesn't mean he was right.   :thmup: 

Well that 60-40 split worked to beat one of the best defenses in the league, so there's that.  And yes I do think this is an excellent use of our QB.  Luck is a far better passer off of play action and that goes back to when I first started watching him his final year at stanford.  You're also failing to take into account that this is only the third week in a new offensive scheme.   I also think your comment

is right up there with Buddy Ryan's famous comment explaining why he released Chris Carter, "all he does is catch touchdowns".  

As for the positive posts thing, lol is all I can say.  Rejoice in your higher positive post count.  Just keep in mind, Hitler would have gotten a lot of "likes" from his fellow Nazi's had message boards been around back then.  That certainly doesn't mean he was right.   :thmup: 

Your giving the 49ers defense too much credit Ranked 13th Overall (22nd against the Rush) (10th against the pass).

As for the 3rd week in a new offensive scheme, then yes maybe you are right. I mean I'm not going to abandon my love for this team, I'm going to hope that the 60/40 split becomes a 50/50 split, and i'm going to hope for some real play action, and I'm going to hope that Luck takes his 1 on 1 match-ups when they put 8 in the box.

As long as we are moving towards that goal, then I'll be a happy camper. If we continue to use this game as the "formula to win" then I and the rest of the colts fans will likely be upset at the end of the season.

Your giving the 49ers defense too much credit Ranked 13th Overall (22nd against the Rush) (10th against the pass).

As for the 3rd week in a new offensive scheme, then yes maybe you are right. I mean I'm not going to abandon my love for this team, I'm going to hope that the 60/40 split becomes a 50/50 split, and i'm going to hope for some real play action, and I'm going to hope that Luck takes his 1 on 1 match-ups when they put 8 in the box.

As long as we are moving towards that goal, then I'll be a happy camper. If we continue to use this game as the "formula to win" then I and the rest of the colts fans will likely be upset at the end of the season.

"I and the rest of the Colts fans"

please don't' put the rest of us in your company..

regardless of their stats through only 3 games, they're still one of the best defenses in the league.   :)

And I really don't think they're going to go into any game with any expectations on how many times they're going to run and how may times they're going to pass.  I think they'll continue to adjust from week to week and formulate the gameplan around what they believe will work against a specific opponent, though no matter who they face they're going to stick to their commitment to run the ball.  One thing also to keep in mind, and I will grant you that again this is in a small sample size, but through 3 games the colts are 2-0 in games when they run the ball as much or more than they pass, and 0-1 in games where they passed more than ran the ball. :)

I do agree with you though that through the course of the season my hope is that the run to pass ratio would essentially be right around 50/50, but there are going to be games where they run more than pass, and there are going to be games when they pass more than run.  the only thing that truly matters though is getting the "W".  :td:

If the run is working why deviate, I don't care how we win!!!

When teams adapt to stop the run attack, I'm sure that Andrew will cut them apart with the pass.

It's going to be a thing of beauty, so many years of nobody respecting our run game, just wait.

Like I said I don't care how we win, just as long as we win.

Yeah, fire Pep,this no coast thing isnt going to work...  LOL

Did you look at the time of possession, and many other dominating stats.

Oh and by the way 50% of our pass completions resulted in first downs

regardless of their stats through only 3 games, they're still one of the best defenses in the league.   :)

And I really don't think they're going to go into any game with any expectations on how many times they're going to run and how may times they're going to pass.  I think they'll continue to adjust from week to week and formulate the gameplan around what they believe will work against a specific opponent, though no matter who they face they're going to stick to their commitment to run the ball.  One thing also to keep in mind, and I will grant you that again this is in a small sample size, but through 3 games the colts are 2-0 in games when they run the ball as much or more than they pass, and 0-1 in games where they passed more than ran the ball. :)

I do agree with you though that through the course of the season my hope is that the run to pass ratio would essentially be right around 50/50, but there are going to be games where they run more than pass, and there are going to be games when they pass more than run.  the only thing that truly matters though is getting the "W".  :td:

I agree, except I think along with that W it's also very important that we continue to allow Luck to grow. It's extremely important that we do not hinder his growth. I hope you are right, and that I am just over reacting. Here is to many more wins this season  :blueshoe:  :number1:  :highfive:

You take what the defense gives you.  The 49ers are very consistent about trying to stay in a 7 man front with two deep to stop the run. They are very confident in their front 7 so they honestly believe they can stop the run with only 7 and most of the time they do.  If you keep getting only 7 in the box, why in the heck would you stop running if it is working?  If we decided to go gung ho with all the deep passing I promise you Luck would have gotten picked off more than once.  Instead we stayed smart with our passes when we did attempt them and we took what they gave us.

If Bruce Arians were the coordinator I promise you we would have gotten out of control with the passing and wasted plays and Luck would have gotten picked off more than once.  I like how we approach things today!  I don't think we are going to do that every single game.  I promise you we will get back into the deep passing when teams feel like they want to put 8 in the box or whatever.

I know this thread is left over from last week however if people really want to be negative I don't think this is the week to do it.  The Colts played a nearly perfect game today. 

There was nothing perfect about this game, the refs bailed us out. We failed to convert third downs twice on the drive that ended with a Luck rushing TD. That was the drive that sealed the game for us and without the refs help this game could easily have had a completely different ending.

Pep's play calling is incompetent at best. 

There was nothing perfect about this game, the refs bailed us out. We failed to convert third downs twice on the drive that ended with a Luck rushing TD. That was the drive that sealed the game for us and without the refs help this game could easily have had a completely different ending.

Well I guess that kind of talk is exactly why you're a "ClipboardHolder", eh? :thmup:

no they didn't the fouls were just that fouls. They weren't even questionable. The lengths some people are going to to have avoid admitting the colts played well is disturbing.

no they didn't the fouls were just that fouls. They weren't even questionable. The lengths some people are going to to have avoid admitting the colts played well is disturbing.

There are legitimate fouls being committed on almost every play. Sometimes theyre called, sometimes theyre not. We were lucky that they were called because we would not have converted the third downs without the refs. By that point in the game our offense was stagnant and SF had no problem limiting us to just field goals.

You have seen me post long enough on here and the other forum to know, I'm not a sky is falling type of fan. I'm not in favor of firing Pep in the middle of the season, getting rid of an OC in the middle of the season doesnt work out well for the team.(the Ravens were the exception) But if play calling doesnt improve, Pep needs to be shown the door after this season is over.

There are legitimate fouls being committed on almost every play. Sometimes theyre called, sometimes theyre not. We were lucky that they were called because we would not have converted the third downs without the refs. By that point in the game our offense was stagnant and SF had no problem limiting us to just field goals.

You have seen me post long enough on here and the other forum to know, I'm not a sky is falling type of fan. I'm not in favor of firing Pep in the middle of the season, getting rid of an OC in the middle of the season doesnt work out well for the team.(the Ravens were the exception) But if play calling doesnt improve, Pep needs to be shown the door after this season is over.

If those hadn't been called people would have been screaming about how the refs cheated us two weeks in a row.  They were not bail outs.  They were fouls that were correctly called.  It's not lucky to have the refs do their jobs. 

Rather you like it or not the Colts players played extremely well today and the coaches coached a very good game.  Pep's call to have Luck run the boat leg on the goalline was a great call at the perfect time. 

Also after all hearing all week how NO ONE runs the 49ers the Colts did just that for almost 180 yards on the ground thanks to a combination of great play from the players and the coaches coming up with a game plan that made it work for the players.  Then on defense they made Kaep look like a rookie QB.  I will say on defense they got some help from the 49ers giving up on the run for reasons unknown.  Then on special teams our guys kept making plays all day on the 49ers return team.  The Colts out played and out coached the 49ers today and the score reflects just that. 

If those hadn't been called people would have been screaming about how the refs cheated us two weeks in a row.  They were not bail outs.  They were fouls that were correctly called.  It's not lucky to have the refs do their jobs. 

Rather you like it or not the Colts players played extremely well today and the coaches coached a very good game.  Pep's call to have Luck run the boat leg on the goalline was a great call at the perfect time. 

Also after all hearing all week how NO ONE runs the 49ers the Colts did just that for almost 180 yards on the ground thanks to a combination of great play from the players and the coaches coming up with a game plan that made it work for the players.  Then on defense they made Kaep look like a rookie QB.  I will say on defense they got some help from the 49ers giving up on the run for reasons unknown.  Then on special teams our guys kept making plays all day on the 49ers return team.  The Colts out played and out coached the 49ers today and the score reflects just that. 

1) Last week there was a penalty that should not have been called, not the same thing

2) The 49ers cant stop the run, theyre playing a 3-4 without a NT. Glenn Dorsey is a joke. You wont find any posts from me complementing theyre run D. Although you will find that I recommended starting Bradshaw on a fantasy team because this year's 49ers struggle with the run.

3) The players played their hearts out this week, I never complained about them. My issue is with Pep.

1) Last week there was a penalty that should not have been called, not the same thing

2) The 49ers cant stop the run, theyre playing a 3-4 without a NT. Glenn Dorsey is a joke. You wont find any posts from me complementing theyre run D. Although you will find that I recommended starting Bradshaw on a fantasy team because this year's 49ers struggle with the run.

3) The players played their hearts out this week, I never complained about them. My issue is with Pep.

1.  and had they not thrown a flag on a penalty that should have been call fans would have been just as upset see the 2003 AFCCG for further proof of this.  The refs did their job that's not luck that's the refs doing their job.  It's why they are there. 

2.  Maybe you saw it coming and congrads to you for seeing it coming but not many others saw this coming.  Several experts spent all week saying no way the Colts would run on the 49ers.  Heck I heard Lamey say before the game today even Lynch who normally runs well on the 49ers didn't have a great game running the ball on the 49ers last week and Lamey might be the biggest Colts homer ever as much as I love the man.  Credit needs to go to the coaches for figuring out how to attack it and make it work and credit to the players for getting the job done. 

3.  That's exactly it your issue with Pep is stopping you from being able to give him any credit at all.  That's why fans don't make good judgers of talent because we let our personal feelings towards players and coaches cloud our judgment.  Is Pep perfect?  No, no coach, especially a first year NFL coach, is.  However he had a good game plan today and stuck with it.  Credit needs to go where it's due.  We just blew out the defending NFC Champions 27-7 on their field giving their QB his first ever loss in that building and yet fans are still trying to find reasons to keep from going man the Colts did a great job today.  Like I said if people want to complain this isn't the week to do it.  The Colts laid a major butt kicking on the 49ers today outside of a missed field goal and one drive from the 49ers the Colts dominated the rest of the game in every phase.  That's about as close to perfect as you can get in the NFL. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

1.  and had they not thrown a flag on a penalty that should have been call fans would have been just as upset see the 2003 AFCCG for further proof of this.  The refs did their job that's not luck that's the refs doing their job.  It's why they are there. 

2.  Maybe you saw it coming and congrads to you for seeing it coming but not many others saw this coming.  Several experts spent all week saying no way the Colts would run on the 49ers.  Heck I heard Lamey say before the game today even Lynch who normally runs well on the 49ers didn't have a great game running the ball on the 49ers last week and Lamey might be the biggest Colts homer ever as much as I love the man.  Credit needs to go to the coaches for figuring out how to attack it and make it work and credit to the players for getting the job done. 

3.  That's exactly it your issue with Pep is stopping you from being able to give him any credit at all.  That's why fans don't make good judgers of talent because we let our personal feelings towards players and coaches cloud our judgment.  Is Pep perfect?  No, no coach, especially a first year NFL coach, is.  However he had a good game plan today and stuck with it.  Credit needs to go where it's due.  We just blew out the defending NFC Champions 27-7 on their field giving their QB his first ever loss in that building and yet fans are still trying to find reasons to keep from going man the Colts did a great job today.  Like I said if people want to complain this isn't the week to do it.  The Colts laid a major butt kicking on the 49ers today outside of a missed field goal and one drive from the 49ers the Colts dominated the rest of the game in every phase.  That's about as close to perfect as you can get in the NFL. 

Pep's play calling was great today. On the long TD drive in the 4th, we kept running up the gut and the slashing to the right.  Then on the TD, he calls a fake to Bradshaw and Luck turns left and walks into the endzone.  That series was brilliant.

Pep's play calling was great today. On the long TD drive in the 4th, we kept running up the gut and the slashing to the right.  Then inside the 10, he calls a fake to Bradshaw and Luck turns and runs.  That series was brilliant.

That Luck call was a great call, and it was call not a Luck decision you can tell by how the play developed, I don't know how anyone can try to say that wasn't a great call unless they just flat out don't like Pep.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, September 23, 2013 - inappropriate gif
Hidden by Coltssouth, September 23, 2013 - inappropriate gif