Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Pep Today

aliveon2legs

The bootleg was a great play call.  However, i didn't see a whole lot different today versus what we seen the first 2 weeks.   The real difference today was the defense.  You shouldn't lose any game where a QB only completes 2 passes in a half of football.  Honestly i felt this game should have been over at half, but the offense had stalled. We had 4 punts and a FG after the opening drive TD.  This ground and pound is great if you come away with TD's and have the defense to compliment it.   Personally i think we need to stretch the field a bit more then we have. Did we go deep one time today?  If our D plays like they did today it won't matter, however that is not likely in my opinion.   San Fran looked pretty terrible with those receivers or lack there of out there.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bootleg was a great play call.  However, i didn't see a whole lot different today versus what we seen the first 2 weeks.   The real difference today was the defense.  You shouldn't lose any game where a QB only completes 2 passes in a half of football.  Honestly i felt this game should have been over at half, but the offense had stalled. We had 4 punts and a FG after the opening drive TD.  This ground and pound is great if you come away with TD's and have the defense to compliment it.   Personally i think we need to stretch the field a bit more then we have. Did we go deep one time today?  If our D plays like they did today it won't matter, however that is not likely in my opinion.   San Fran looked pretty terrible with those receivers or lack there of out there.

Tried a couple of times.  One the fans are complaining about them going deep because it stalled the drive when they tried to go to the endzone and then on the other Luck had to pretty much throw it away because the pressure got their too fast. 

I agree, except I think along with that W it's also very important that we continue to allow Luck to grow. It's extremely important that we do not hinder his growth. I hope you are right, and that I am just over reacting. Here is to many more wins this season  :blueshoe:  :number1:  :highfive:

Reading through this I'm not in the majority in saying this but I do get some of where you are coming from but won't light you up for it even if I don't 100% agree. It think people are so fed up of a certain group of posters who are borderline trolling with their negativity that any criticism now runs the risk of attracting the other extreme type of behavior.  

I have questioned the play calling at time, especially on the short yard conversions where we seemed to be running play action every time even when we had been moving the ball on the ground well. That and the tendency to go conservative sometimes when we've been on top of teams. I also agree that our main strength is Luck and we need to take advantage of his ability. 

However credit where credit is due, we seemed to have a gameplan of smash them in the mouth and keep hitting leading to the 60/40 balance. Now if this is the exception rather than the rule and the outcome of a plan that gave us the best chance of winning I don't think we need to be concerned at this stage. 

The 49ers are a great example of what knee jerk changes to your coordinators can do, and how a bit of stability can bring consistency and success. We didn't have a choice in losing BA, and IMO it was a good thing for both parties, but those calling for Pep to be fired are quite frankly *s. Yes he needs to improve, and experience will bring improvement. but he needs to be given time and support to develop this O. 

I'm not loving the playcalling in 2nd and shorth and 3rd and short.. you have Andrew Luck and you run it 3 times in a row?

Passing game needs work.. he's efficient, but last year we had big play potencial, this year we have 15 passes for 3 yards..

Through 3 games last year Luck did not have that many more yards through the air then he does at the same point this year. 183, also considering he has thrown 29 less passes through this point this year compared to this point last year (93 to 122) we have some big plays come up empty do to missing wide open wr's this year to, at the end of the day, we are more efficient, teams have to play the run and pass now

Reading through this I'm not in the majority in saying this but I do get some of where you are coming from but won't light you up for it even if I don't 100% agree. It think people are so fed up of a certain group of posters who are borderline trolling with their negativity that any criticism now runs the risk of attracting the other extreme type of behavior.  

I have questioned the play calling at time, especially on the short yard conversions where we seemed to be running play action every time even when we had been moving the ball on the ground well. That and the tendency to go conservative sometimes when we've been on top of teams. I also agree that our main strength is Luck and we need to take advantage of his ability. 

However credit where credit is due, we seemed to have a gameplan of smash them in the mouth and keep hitting leading to the 60/40 balance. Now if this is the exception rather than the rule and the outcome of a plan that gave us the best chance of winning I don't think we need to be concerned at this stage. 

The 49ers are a great example of what knee jerk changes to your coordinators can do, and how a bit of stability can bring consistency and success. We didn't have a choice in losing BA, and IMO it was a good thing for both parties, but those calling for Pep to be fired are quite frankly .. Yes he needs to improve, and experience will bring improvement. but he needs to be given time and support to develop this O. 

I think the thread title is what is causing it. I'm not calling for pep's head I just want to know that they are working towards the goal of building a championship team.

I think the thread title is what is causing it. I'm not calling for pep's head I just want to know that they are working towards the goal of building a championship team.

What do you think they are trying to do?  Isn't that what every team in the league is trying to do?

Isn't what you are really saying is that they are building a team with a model different than what you would prefer?  But to question of whether or not they are trying to build a winner is kind of silly.

Big splash in free agency.  Franchise level QB.  Investment on D.  BIg trade for a young, bruising runner.  Where is there not an attempt to try & build a winner?

What do you think they are trying to do?  Isn't that what every team in the league is trying to do?

Isn't what you are really saying is that they are building a team with a model different than what you would prefer?  But to question of whether or not they are trying to build a winner is kind of silly.

Big splash in free agency.  Franchise level QB.  Investment on D.  BIg trade for a young, bruising runner.  Where is there not an attempt to try & build a winner?

At this point, from what I see they are trying to build what they "think" will win, not what a proven championship winning formula is. There is a difference.

They may be working towards that goal, but I haven't seen it yet. Probably just me over reacting 3 games into the season :)

At this point, from what I see they are trying to build what they "think" will win, not what a proven championship winning formula is. There is a difference.

They may be working towards that goal, but I haven't seen it yet. Probably just me over reacting 3 games into the season :)

pretty much

Crazy Colts - trying to be a balanced offensive team is pretty much unheard of these days.  I mean what team really wants to make the opposing defense have to defend the threat of both the run and the pass?

Overreacting after 3 games is par for the course on this board.  The knee-jerk and uninformed seem to rule the place these days (not calling you either)   Just don't fall into that abyss.  There is nothing but the clueless that exist there.

The main sentiment seems to be that they are foresaking their most talented player in Luck by wanting to run the ball.  That is just nonsense to me.  He did throw for over 240 yards in the first half against the Fins.  They will go into each game with a plan and sometimes that plan will be to run and others it will be to throw.  It does not mean they will discount either.  What it truly means is that they want to be able to run the ball when the defense knows they want to run the ball.  At the end of a game, that is a killer thing to have in your back pocket.  As is having the best young QB in the league when the situation calls for him to make plays.