Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did the Colts find two secondary game changers this offseason?

Kevin Bowen

Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson used the term "game changer" to describe the addition of LaRon Landry.

How about the other offseason addition in the secondary--Greg Toler?

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Burning-Questions-in-the-Defensive-Backfield-prior-to-Training-Camp/eae5228a-b6f4-4cfb-a261-c14d593cd356

I know it's asking a lot to put Toler into the same category as a Pro Bowler (Landry) but pairing Toler and Vontae Davis together could be vital to this unit's success.

Having Davis and Toler out on an island, being able to take away the opponent's top wideouts would free up this Colts defense and should lead to numerous turnovers.

What are your expectations for the secondary this season?

Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson used the term "game changer" to describe the addition of LaRon Landry.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Burning-Questions-in-the-Defensive-Backfield-prior-to-Training-Camp/eae5228a-b6f4-4cfb-a261-c14d593cd356

I know it's asking a lot to put Toler into the same category as a Pro Bowler (Landry) but pairing Toler and Vontae Davis together could be vital to this unit's success.

Having Davis and Toler out on an island, being able to take away the opponent's top wideouts would free up this Colts defense and should lead to numerous turnovers.

That would be ideal. But my first hope for both of them is to play the entire season. Everything after that is gravy.

Laron is definitely a game changer in the forced fumble department. He's got quite a knack for knocking the ball (and heads) loose

Greg Toler when healthy is arguably a top 10-15 CB in the entire league. If this secondary stays healthy for all 16 games plus the playoffs, it's gonna be a beautiful seaaon.

Also need the pass rush to be therr. That'll increase turnovers as well

That would be ideal. But my first hope for both of them is to play the entire season. Everything after that is gravy.

Agreed.

Health is the key for both of those guys. Landry has a good track record besides two seasons.

Toler has had a tougher time sustaining an entire season.

IF healthy and supplied with a decent enough pass rush I think this secondary can be special. Toler and Davis fit this scheme to a T and Landry is just a boss in run support. Butler played out of his mind at times last year and if he can sustain, that is a really good Nickel package. But IMO it all hinges on health and consistent pass rush.

My concern is both injuries.....and also Landry in coverage.  Specifically defending the long ball or big play.  No...not concerned with his hitting whatsoever.  However we need to see wrap up tackling not just the hits.

Toler has not started very much, and played entire games.  Can he survive the rigors and pressures of an every down CB?.....I sure hope so...rooting for a strong starting unit and an injury free unit!! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :pass:  :pass: !!!!

I think our secondary is very good when healthy, I think Greg Toler is a very good #2 corner, Vontae Davis will become one of the top corners in the league next season IMO, Darius Butler played like one of the top #3 corners in the NFL last season, LaRon Landry is a very good player when healthy, and Antoine Bethea is obviously a very good player when healthy

(Forgive the thread drift...)

Though I like both off-season acquisitions and realize that the name I'm going to drop wasn't an off-season pick-up,  this is the guy who I'm really looking forward to seeing this year....

Vontae Davis

If he can be the player that Grigson/Pagano/Manusky think he can be,  that will go a long way toward solidifying our secondary.

If Vontae is a top-16 CB,  our defensive world will become much, much easier....

Again,  apologies for the thread drift....

(Forgive the thread drift...)

Though I like both off-season acquisitions and realize that the name I'm going to drop wasn't an off-season pick-up,  this is the guy who I'm really looking forward to seeing this year....

Vontae Davis

If he can be the player that Grigson/Pagano/Manusky think he can be,  that will go a long way toward solidifying our secondary.

If Vontae is a top-16 CB,  our defensive world will become much, much easier....

Again,  apologies for the thread drift....

Not a problem at all.

I think anyone would be happy if Toler or Davis emerged as that shut down corner on one side.

We know Ryan Grigson expects "greatness" out of Davis this season and he showed flashes of that towards the end of last year.

I expect them to be a middle of the pack Secondary in terms of yards given up through the air, nothing anyone would call world beaters. I expect Davis to build off of his late season success he had last year and put it together for hopefully the whole season. I expect Landry to be that run stuffing SS we need but to struggle at times in coverage. I expect Bethea to be able to play alot more free in the secondary where he doesn't have not only do his job but try to do somebody elses job because that person couldn't, which in turn will give him the freedom to roam more and make plays on the ball. Toler I expect to have an up and down year do to lack of consistent playing time do to injury, I expect him to make some plays, passes defensed as well as a couple picks but I also expect he will get burned his fair share and for the debate to continue whether or not he is a reliable #2 Corner

Not a problem at all.

I think anyone would be happy if Toler or Davis emerged as that shut down corner on one side.

We know Ryan Grigson expects "greatness" out of Davis this season and he showed flashes of that towards the end of last year.

Kevin, off topic here. But did you get a look at the WR Donald Jones we were supposed to workout today? Are you gonna be doing a write up about it or do you not know what's happening with that situation?

Just wondering to see if he'll be coming into camp with us or not. Thanks in advance

It's a good unit on paper. Lets see it. Injuries are an obvious concern for every team's starting secondary. 

Bethea hasn't had his name mentioned yet. I guess we just expect him to keep up his play? He's getting some mileage. Hopefully Landry can get in the box and let Bethea stay in coverage more often. 

If Landry brings his A game.  This secondary should be strongest unit on the team.  Wide receivers will think twice about going over the middle when you got a (healthy Bob Sanders like safety) bringing the heat-pain.  I hope this unit stays healthy and not send any of own to rehab in training camp.

I expect them to be a middle of the pack Secondary in terms of yards given up through the air, nothing anyone would call world beaters. I expect Davis to build off of his late season success he had last year and put it together for hopefully the whole season. I expect Landry to be that run stuffing SS we need but to struggle at times in coverage. I expect Bethea to be able to play alot more free in the secondary where he doesn't have not only do his job but try to do somebody elses job because that person couldn't, which in turn will give him the freedom to roam more and make plays on the ball. Toler I expect to have an up and down year do to lack of consistent playing time do to injury, I expect him to make some plays, passes defensed as well as a couple picks but I also expect he will get burned his fair share and for the debate to continue whether or not he is a reliable #2 Corner

I'd take that. It's still an improvement over what we've had the last few years. I'd love it if Butler turns into a decent DB, we know he'll end up starting a fair share of games as well as playing the nickel.

I was actually thinking about this last night.  I think that, if they can stay healthy, we could possibly have the one of the best overall secondaries in the league (it felt really weird saying that lol) in terms of starting 5 (both safeties, the 2 starting CB's and the Nickel back).  that's how it looks on paper anyway.  Hopefully they can each live up to their potential, which I think they will, AND stay healthy. :)

Laron Landry is definitely a game changer. I have waited a long time for the Colts to sign an intimidating defensive back like him. Really all across the board on defense the Colts are getting bigger and are changing their culture to a powerful Steelers/Ravens type style of play.

Kevin, off topic here. But did you get a look at the WR Donald Jones we were supposed to workout today? Are you gonna be doing a write up about it or do you not know what's happening with that situation?

Just wondering to see if he'll be coming into camp with us or not. Thanks in advance

I did not get a look at him.

Haven't heard anything on him either. I would think if there's no news today than Jones has moved on to his next visit considering the Colts would want him signed before camp.

I dont mean to disappoint. But toler wont be an island. Hes not bad, but hes not that good. Vontae is quite a complete shutdown either

I dont mean to disappoint. But toler wont be an island. Hes not bad, but hes not that good. Vontae is quite a complete shutdown either

Toler hasn't been given the chance to yet, which I believe he can be, however Vontae IS there. The last 5 games of the season showed that, along with his complete shutdown of Torrey Smith in the WC game. Look at what he did to AJ when they went at it, a high % of AJ's production came off Vaughn NOT Vontae. Vontae is in a contract year as well so he has no choice but to prove his worth.

To answer the question relative to the Colts secondaries of the past, yep!

And I'll echo the other remarks about health; it is a concern. I'm excited though.

We've finally got NTs that will command the double team which in turn should translate to more pressure from our OLBs & DEs. This will really look good with CBs who can win the merge and keep opposing WRs from getting any real separation 5-10 yards out.

THE QUESTION is can our Line & Linebackers keep the ball in front of them and limit the need for our secondary to play a major roll in tackling RBs & TEs.

If they can, then the secondary's exposure to injury will be reduced.

We'll see.

Watch it! These Cornerbackites'll have a conniption fit over a statement like that.

I on the other hand wholeheartedly agree.

and then the anti-cornerbackites will counter with a conniption fit of their own and will harp incessantly until the end of time.

Everything starts up front. Stop the run first and get them in 3rd and long situations and give the secondary certain predictable down and distances to take some chances. I am sure we will manufacture pass rush even if we have to blitz more often. 

The rest will take care of itself.

Toler hasn't been given the chance to yet, which I believe he can be, however Vontae IS there. The last 5 games of the season showed that, along with his complete shutdown of Torrey Smith in the WC game. Look at what he did to AJ when they went at it, a high % of AJ's production came off Vaughn NOT Vontae. Vontae is in a contract year as well so he has no choice but to prove his worth.

Its true he did at the end of the season. But im hoping he can do it for entire seasons. I dont expect him to stop every ball. But i just would like to see more of him before i give him the island/shutdown title.