Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Live:"The Colts Will Not Win Eleven Games This Season"

King Colt

Yesterday June 18, the two knuckleheads on ESPN's NFL Live agreed the Colts will not win eleven games this year and may not be as good a team as they were last year! So they will lose six games this year? Their schedule is not easy but it is not hard by any means. They could sweep their divison for starters. My 2 cents is the coaching staff which I know zip about. All the talk was sustitute head coach last year and now we have a new offesnsive coordinator, bla, bla. I know I am a die hard fan but the Colts should be at least as good as they were and while I am not happy with the offensivel ine I think their offense will put more on the board this year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the Schedule as I do time from time in the offseason (my memory for this kind of thing isn't too good).

I see 9ers, Hawks, Cos', and Texans once beating the Colts.

St. Louie, Cincy, Sandyego, KC are a toss up. We go .500 in my mind.

5 wins in the south.

The Arizona Arians won't be good enough, same with the Philbins.

Jokeland.

I'm calling 10 to 12 wins.

Would we be happy if they predicted 14, 16, or 18 wins? It's usually nice to read any articles on the Colts this time of the year. But it would be better if they did a little research when making predictions.

In other words... Who cares.

As I recall, the talking heads predicted the Colts would go 1 - 15 in 2012.  I can't wait for the season to start, which hopefully will put an end to this mindless silliness.

There was only one prediction of 1-15.      One.      

That has now gotten blown up into something that it wasn't.     It wasn't the whole media who predicted that.    Just one member/group.     That's it.

Most predictions were somewhere between 2-7 wins.

These same guys kept saying the Colts were due for a return to mediocrity back after we won the Super Bowl in 2006-07. We went on to win 10-12 games each year and made another SB appearance. It only took a freak neck issue for the team to fall off that pace and then the talking heads beat their chests like they were right the whole time. Haters gonna hate, we've been proving them wrong for over a decade.

There was only one prediction of 1-15.      One.      

That has now gotten blown up into something that it wasn't.     It wasn't the whole media who predicted that.    Just one member/group.     That's it.

Most predictions were somewhere between 2-7 wins.

Most early predictions were a lot closer to 2 wins than 7. It was only after camp opened, with some glowing praise from guys like Peter King and John Clayton (who still didn't think we'd win many games), that a couple started saying "maybe the Colts might be closer to .500."

But by and large, people wrote us off, had us picking first in the draft again, etc. Especially at this time of the year.

Yesterday June 18, the two knuckleheads on ESPN's NFL Live agreed the Colts will not win eleven games this year and may not be as good a team as they were last year! So they will lose six games this year? Their schedule is not easy but it is not hard by any means. They could sweep their divison for starters. My 2 cents is the coaching staff which I know zip about. All the talk was sustitute head coach last year and now we have a new offesnsive coordinator, bla, bla. I know I am a die hard fan but the Colts should be at least as good as they were and while I am not happy with the offensivel ine I think their offense will put more on the board this year.

Espny really does hate us! They hate it when they're forced to say anything good about us. They don't like us because we're small market and don't have any sexy story lines. Yes I said Espny meaning they might as well change their name to ESPNewYork because that's all they really care about reporting. Yes it's a huge market there biggest but there is 30 other teams in the NFL, MLB and NBA. As you tell I'm not a fan of ESPNY and never will be. 

Most early predictions were a lot closer to 2 wins than 7. It was only after camp opened, with some glowing praise from guys like Peter King and John Clayton (who still didn't think we'd win many games), that a couple started saying "maybe the Colts might be closer to .500."

But by and large, people wrote us off, had us picking first in the draft again, etc. Especially at this time of the year.

I don't recall multiple projections of picking first in the draft, but I suppose that's possible.   And, you're right,  earlier projections were closer to 2-4 wins and then as the summer progressed it moved closer to 4-6 wins....   I think the 7 win projections were the outlier....

Still...    what is typically posted here on the website is something alone the lines of.....

"Typical of the media.   Same media that predicted the Colts would go 1-15 last year..."

So,  one person makes that projection and suddenly ALL media gets the blame for that.    As for a former media person, I confess that's one of the more frustrating parts of fandom.    Good media gets lumped in with bad media.   Smart media gets lumped in with dumb media.    

It's get old and frustrating.    But, in the grand scheme of things,  it's not that big a deal.....

12-4 regular season; division title.

Running game and improved talent on OL and DL will provide the capacity to compete in smashmouth games of playoffs. Young talent on offense and defense skill positions will allow Colts to succeed in offensive shootouts. Reggie, Hasselback, Mathis, and Landry will provide leadership during heat of battle and Viniatiri and McAfee will provide great clutch kicking.

Talent level of Colts from 30-53 is greater than it has ever been and provides real flexibility to adapt gameplan and strategies to impact opponent's strengths and will also provide potential for best special teams play ever. Need points from punt and kickoff returns and positive field position and turnovers by defense.

Am big fan of coaching staff and mgmt. team. Wary of the lack of playoff and big game experience of current coaching staff as it relates to the trick play, surprise tactic or headgames of  other organizations but believe that Colt's coaching staff will not be outworked by anyone. Would not be surprised by Super Bowl visit if injuries don't ravage the team at the wrong time or position.

I don't recall multiple projections of picking first in the draft, but I suppose that's possible.   And, you're right,  earlier projections were closer to 2-4 wins and then as the summer progressed it moved closer to 4-6 wins....   I think the 7 win projections were the outlier....

Still...    what is typically posted here on the website is something alone the lines of.....

"Typical of the media.   Same media that predicted the Colts would go 1-15 last year..."

So,  one person makes that projection and suddenly ALL media gets the blame for that.    As for a former media person, I confess that's one of the more frustrating parts of fandom.    Good media gets lumped in with bad media.   Smart media gets lumped in with dumb media.    

It's get old and frustrating.    But, in the grand scheme of things,  it's not that big a deal.....

To be honest, I think the good media is being drowned out by the bad media (and media wanna-bes). And then, almost anything that you see on TV has been dumbed down into a two minute sound bite with zero analysis, so it's pointless to take them seriously.

You're right, not everyone predicted the Colts would go 1-15, but the general consensus was that they would again have one of the worst records in the NFL. To be fair, though, most fans here on the board said the same thing. I remember people being incensed that we gave up a second rounder for Vontae Davis, because they were anticipating that we'd have a top five pick again. My pre-camp prediction was 5-11, so I'm not really one to talk. But it's not just the media. And even when the media is dead wrong, that doesn't mean they're dumb, or bad. (But a lot of them are dumb and bad, like Mike Florio.) 

The team was built for P.Manning and when he was gone in the 2-14 season it showed, then the Colts purged those old players suited to P.Manning and was re-vamped and adding a fiery guy on defense C.Redding to add a spark on the D side and added the rookies on the offense from the draft and smart move of keeping R.Wayne to keep a spark on the O side of the ball and the addition of #1 Rookie pick Mr.Sparky aka Mr.A.Luck and so it was rebuilt to be more than just for one guy and the Colts meshed and over came and 11-5 record, I predicted 5-11 team last year and look what happened, I will say this year the Colts go 10-6 and Texans finish 9-7 and Colts win the division and into the playoffs and win the first playoff game and go from there.....

Go Colts!!!!!

Not an unreasonable prediction. I think we will be a better team with a lot more potential to make a playoff run. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we have 10 wins. I could even see us with 9 wins if we don't get off to a fast start. Worst case scenario: 3-4 before the bye...tough games agains 49ers, Seahawks, and Broncos, as well as the Dolphins and Chargers who will be much improved, imo. The bye is followed by Texans on the road, resulting in 3-5 with 4 division games left (Titans will be a better team this year too). However, I could also see us with 12 wins if we get off to a fast start. Basically, it's hard to say this time of year before camps open. I do want to be sure to say that regardless of win total or playoffs, I believe we will see an all around stronger team this year. My expectation is 10+ wins and a playoff win.

Roster improvements, unit by unit:

Offensive line

RT Gosder Cherilus > Winston Justice

LG Donald Thomas > Seth Olsen, Joe Reitz, Jeff Linkenbach

Receivers

Darrius Heyward Bey = Donnie Avery (I'm being conservative)

Running backs

Ahmad Bradshaw > Donald Brown, Vick Ballard

Defensive line

Aubrayo Franklin > Antonio Johnson

Ricky Jean Francois > Fili Moala, Clifton Geathers, Lawrence Guy

OLB

Robert Mathis > Dwight Freeney (at Rush backer)

Bjoern Werner, Erik Walden < Robert Mathis (at Sam backer)

CB

Greg Toler > Cassius Vaughn

SS

Laron Landry > Tom Zbikowski, Joe Lefeged

We upgraded all over the place. That's just our most notable free agent acquisitions. I'm not taking into consideration getting Josh Chapman on the field finally, or the draft class. I'm not taking into consideration the expected improvements from our 2012 rookies (Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Andrew Luck, Vick Ballard, TY Hilton, Jerrell Freeman, etc.) I'm not taking into consideration our added depth at receiver, running back, offensive line, defensive line, cornerback.

There is simply no question in my mind that the roster is better than it was last year. And the common sense improvements ought to translate to better play. Maybe not more wins, because it's hard to do better than 11-5. But we ought to be noticeably better between the lines, right from jump. I don't see how anyone can't recognize that.

THEY WILL WIN NOT 11 BUT 18

Seriously though, I don't think it's ridiculous to predict 10-6 or something

10-6 predictions dont bother me but I hate seeing the 8-8 or even 9-7 predictions.  after going 11-5 last season, and adding the most FA of any team with potentially about 11 new starters http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/6/17/4438962/2013-colts-offseason-has-been-a-success they then predict 8-8!!!! WHAT!!!

The sky is the limit this year.

As I recall, the talking heads predicted the Colts would go 1 - 15 in 2012.  I can't wait for the season to start, which hopefully will put an end to this mindless silliness.

I don't remember the talking heads saying 1-15 for 2012 but I do remember them saying that for 2011 after it was realized that Peyton wasn't going to play. 

To be honest, I think the good media is being drowned out by the bad media (and media wanna-bes). And then, almost anything that you see on TV has been dumbed down into a two minute sound bite with zero analysis, so it's pointless to take them seriously.

You're right, not everyone predicted the Colts would go 1-15, but the general consensus was that they would again have one of the worst records in the NFL. To be fair, though, most fans here on the board said the same thing. I remember people being incensed that we gave up a second rounder for Vontae Davis, because they were anticipating that we'd have a top five pick again. My pre-camp prediction was 5-11, so I'm not really one to talk. But it's not just the media. And even when the media is dead wrong, that doesn't mean they're dumb, or bad. (But a lot of them are dumb and bad, like Mike Florio.) 

My prediction last season was pretty much in line with yours but no one could predict the Pagano effect.  I still say his bout with cancer gave the team an emotional boost to win a couple of extra games. 

The team was built for P.Manning and when he was gone in the 2-14 season it showed, then the Colts purged those old players suited to P.Manning and was re-vamped and adding a fiery guy on defense C.Redding to add a spark on the D side and added the rookies on the offense from the draft and smart move of keeping R.Wayne to keep a spark on the O side of the ball and the addition of #1 Rookie pick Mr.Sparky aka Mr.A.Luck and so it was rebuilt to be more than just for one guy and the Colts meshed and over came and 11-5 record, I predicted 5-11 team last year and look what happened, I will say this year the Colts go 10-6 and Texans finish 9-7 and Colts win the division and into the playoffs and win the first playoff game and go from there.....

Go Colts!!!!!

Bad defense excuse: The defense was built to play with the lead

Bad run game excuse: The offensive line was built to pass protect

2-14 excuse: The team was built for Peyton Manning

I'm so glad I won't have to hear these nonsense excuses anymore.

Offensive line

Receivers

Running backs

Defensive line

OLB

CB

SS

We upgraded all over the place. That's just our most notable free agent acquisitions. I'm not taking into consideration getting Josh Chapman on the field finally, or the draft class. I'm not taking into consideration the expected improvements from our 2012 rookies (Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Andrew Luck, Vick Ballard, TY Hilton, Jerrell Freeman, etc.) I'm not taking into consideration our added depth at receiver, running back, offensive line, defensive line, cornerback.

There is simply no question in my mind that the roster is better than it was last year. And the common sense improvements ought to translate to better play. Maybe not more wins, because it's hard to do better than 11-5. But we ought to be noticeably better between the lines, right from jump. I don't see how anyone can't recognize that.

Very nice write up, Sup. I agree at every point.

I think the Colts will be much improved this year. If it were possible to have the 2012 Colts -vs- the 2013 Colts, I'm confident that talent wise, the 2013 Colts should win; however, the 2012 Colts had Chuckstrong, and it's impossible to measure what effect this had on the teams chemistry and desire to win.

I don't think that it's unreasonable for the analysts to think that we will have a down year. Going back through this forum before last season, many Colts fans predicted anywhere from 4-9 wins. No one expected us to go 11-5. So if Colts fans didn't get it right, how can we expect the analysts who have no emotional attachment to the team to get it right?

My prediction last season was pretty much in line with yours but no one could predict the Pagano effect.  I still say his bout with cancer gave the team an emotional boost to win a couple of extra games. 

Probably. But we won 11 games. I think our team was good enough to be 8-8, and I said as much before the season. My prediction was just me being realistic. Those extra Pagano games (definitely the Packers game, and then that gave us confidence in our ability to come from behind, and impacted our play against the Lions, and so on) got us in the playoffs. But the team was better than most people gave them credit for, even before the season started.

We had a few UGLY wins last year, but we have improved in every facet of the game. I'd say another 11 win season is in the cards, although I think we'll probably win the point differential this year. I just want to see good football, the fact that they learned how to win ugly should make for a hardier team in the future too.

Win totals are hard to predict, but there is no question that we are a better team than last season.. Its not unheard of for a team to spend 40 mil. and look like dirt the next season, but there is nowhere to go but up for the O-Line, Secondary, and Defensive Interior...

Probably. But we won 11 games. I think our team was good enough to be 8-8, and I said as much before the season. My prediction was just me being realistic. Those extra Pagano games (definitely the Packers game, and then that gave us confidence in our ability to come from behind, and impacted our play against the Lions, and so on) got us in the playoffs. But the team was better than most people gave them credit for, even before the season started.

I was talking about the Pagano effect in addition to playing the Jags and the Titans twice. 

How many threads are we going to have on this? Surely everyone is, by now, used to the mainstream media being dominated by analysts who only look at the big picture. How many of you know the in-and-outs of other NFL teams? 32 teams is a lot to follow with the depth that we follow the Colts, there would not be enough hours in the day to do it.

The front men on ESPN and NFL Network are personalities rather than in-depth journalists, they have retired and are unlikely to spend every waking minute navigating through the intricacies of the off-season landscape. You should all be used to it... why cry with outrage when you see what you know is coming?

Good NFL Journalists do exist, why not concentrate on them instead of constantly acting like you should have a chip on your shoulder all off-season because someone said the Colts will only win 9 games.

Offensive line

Receivers

Running backs

Defensive line

OLB

CB

SS

Let's be real. DHB is better than Avery haha

How many threads are we going to have on this? Surely everyone is, by now, used to the mainstream media being dominated by analysts who only look at the big picture. How many of you know the in-and-outs of other NFL teams? 32 teams is a lot to follow with the depth that we follow the Colts, there would not be enough hours in the day to do it.

The front men on ESPN and NFL Network are personalities rather than in-depth journalists, they have retired and are unlikely to spend every waking minute navigating through the intricacies of the off-season landscape. You should all be used to it... why cry with outrage when you see what you know is coming?

Good NFL Journalists do exist, why not concentrate on them instead of constantly acting like you should have a chip on your shoulder all off-season because someone said the Colts will only win 9 games.

Years ago even when we made the playoffs every year and it seemed like a given, there would be a ton of offseason threads about how the Jags/Titans/Texans were ready to take the next step according to someone and pluck the division from the Colts. Or how the Colts would not make the playoffs because well it was time for someone new or whatever reason was come up with.