Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner's shot at DROY

BProland85

I believe Werner has a legitimate shot at defensive rookie of the year. I havent been seeing his name mentioned as a candidate, but hey these are so called "analysts" we're talking about. Werner to me is a Ryan Kerrigan clone. Kerrigan does everything well, including batting down passes. If Werner can end up playing a good amount in rotation with both Mathis and Walden, he has a shot at making an instant impact. I also like how we now have a pass rusher who doesnt simply rely on his speed to get to the QB. Werner has excellent hands and strength to disengage from blockers.

Your thoughts on his chances?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. He would need a ton of INTs to beat out one of the pass rushers or Arthur Brown.

Ansah, Mingo, and Jordan, I believe, are going to take a couple of years to fully breakout. Werner and Jones are NFL ready in my opinion, and are most likely going to breakout much faster. Like I said I think its totally possible that Werner can pull it off. Hayden is going to get MAJOR playing time at the start so he's going to get the chance to jump out on guys who are getting limited time at the beginning of the season.

Projected as an inside in a 3-4 if I remember correctly. Plus that is where their holes are with Lewis and Ellerbe gone

He's going to have to do A LOT to be brought up in DROY discussions then. Unless he has a RayRay or Patrick Willis type of year out of the gate its going to be hard for him to get recognized, as ILB isn't the "sexiest" of positions especially for rookies.

He's going to have to do A LOT to be brought up in DROY discussions then. Unless he has a RayRay or Patrick Willis type of year out of the gate its going to be hard for him to get recognized, as ILB isn't the "sexiest" of positions especially for rookies.

Luke Kuechly was DROY last year...

Luke Kuechly was DROY last year...

And Werner is a OLB who will likely be rushing the QB a lot.  Von Miller is a 3-4 OLB and I think he won 2 years ago.  

And Werner is a OLB who will likely be rushing the QB a lot.  Von Miller is a 3-4 OLB and I think he won 2 years ago.  

Well technically Von Miller is a 43 OLB, but yeah I agree that a pass rusher will likely win it this year. 

I know, BleedBlu just said an ILB is unlikely to win, and I pointed out that an ILB won it last year.

P.S. Miller plays in a 4-3, although one with different looks.

Ehh I have my doubts. . . Unlike a lot of the other guys in his draft class he's going to have to learn a new position. I believe he can play it but it's going to take some learning on his part.

Who knows. I guess I'm inclined to think he's shown an ability to pick things up quickly (hasn't been playing the game nearly as long as "a lot of the other guys in his draft class"), so I see no reason to believe it'll take him long to learn this position.

Whether he can excel quickly enough to get considered for DPOY, though... That might be setting the bar too high too early IMO.

Who knows. I guess I'm inclined to think he's shown an ability to pick things up quickly (hasn't been playing the game nearly as long as "a lot of the other guys in his draft class"), so I see no reason to believe it'll take him long to learn this position.

Whether he can excel quickly enough to get considered for DPOY, though... That might be setting the bar too high too early IMO.

True, and I'll preface this by saying I've never played football.  

But from what I know it would seem to me that learning to play defensive end in college is probably a little bit easier then learning to play OLB in the pros.  

To me rushing the passer sounds easier then playing coverage.  And I think that's the part of this game that he will have to learn fast.  Hopefully he does.

Also there where a lot of pass rushers taken before him.

Jarvis Jones??

I'd like to see... I don't know, at least a game, before we even start talking about DROY.  :D

I agree 100%.

That said, if we were making a preseason ballot, I'll hypothetically state that he and Jones are in the best spots to win it because being a pass rusher is as glamorous as it gets as far as defensive stats go, and we all know how much the voters love them some sacks lol. 

Highly possible, but if DJ Hayden is healthy all year he's going to be the one to look out for.

I'm guessing you haven't heard that Hayden had surgery in his chest area....   a complication from his life saving surgery last Oct/Nov...

He's not expected to be back until training camp....   and his status at that point won't be known until he can show how healthy he is....

Not sure he's out of the woods just yet.....    he probably is....    but with this injury,  there is so much unchartered water....

Ok the guy hasnt played a single down.  How can you already say he could get DROY?  Come on guys.  I know its offseason.  And not a lot to talk about.  But lets not reach, just for the sake of reaching....

The next guy to be eligible for DROY that has already played an NFL down will be the first one.  ;)

I'm guessing you haven't heard that Hayden had surgery in his chest area.... a complication from his life saving surgery last Oct/Nov...

He's not expected to be back until training camp.... and his status at that point won't be known until he can show how healthy he is....

Not sure he's out of the woods just yet..... he probably is.... but with this injury, there is so much unchartered water....

I'm well aware of Hayden's injury he sustained last year at Houston, however he was medically cleared to play since being drafted and had an abdominal injury in Raider OTA's. I don't believe the abdominal injury has anything to do with his heart issue he had.

Also, I did state "if healthy" in my opinion of him winning DROY.

I'm not sure Werner will play enough to have enough of an impact to win the DROY....

At this point, I don't think we can expect him to play more than roughly 50-60 percent of the snaps, and if that's all,  then I don't see how he wins it.

Doesn't mean he won't get mentioned on some all-rookie teams and such...   he'll get some recognition,  but the DROY might be a little unrealistic at this point.....

This should be revisited periodically when we have some idea of how much Werner is playing and what kind of impact he's having....

I would just like to see him sign his contract laden with off set language (picturing text in the margin of the paper and not the body of the text as off set) first......then, oh, maybe perform in training camp, and pre-season and earn the starting spot.......then I am ready to talk about potential for meaningless accolades.

I'm not sure Werner will play enough to have enough of an impact to win the DROY....

At this point, I don't think we can expect him to play more than roughly 50-60 percent of the snaps, and if that's all,  then I don't see how he wins it.

Doesn't mean he won't get mentioned on some all-rookie teams and such...   he'll get some recognition,  but the DROY might be a little unrealistic at this point.....

This should be revisited periodically when we have some idea of how much Werner is playing and what kind of impact he's having....

I agree. It would be one thing if he were 'the guy' at OLB/DE. But he first has to take a lot of time away from Walden, which at this point is not a sure thing.

Funny how the Forum Nazis always jump on someone if they dare speculate about anything.  "No, you actually have to see the person play before even suggesting something."   Isn't that the whole point of a forum, unless all we talk about is what happened last year?

I believe Werner has a legitimate shot at defensive rookie of the year. I havent been seeing his name mentioned as a candidate, but hey these are so called "analysts" we're talking about. Werner to me is a Ryan Kerrigan clone. Kerrigan does everything well, including batting down passes. If Werner can end up playing a good amount in rotation with both Mathis and Walden, he has a shot at making an instant impact. I also like how we now have a pass rusher who doesnt simply rely on his speed to get to the QB. Werner has excellent hands and strength to disengage from blockers.

Your thoughts on his chances?

he had a lot of "dings" from the pro scouts.  can't keep up with receivers/RBs/TE's, gave up on plays a lot, does not have kill speed, etc., etc.   I would doubt he will make that much of an impact, keep in mind, this guy could also be a complete dud in the league, many are that are picked in that spot... not hoping that of course, but just sayin'  --  everyone needs to stay grounded.  I hope he is the next coming of JJ Watt but we all know his physical capabilities and talents are no where near JJ or those who line up from his position that are Pro-Bowlers.  I hope I have to eat my words on that last statement and if so, I will gladly have crow and someone can shove this post back in my face for recall but I just don't think he will be an immediate impact guy.

he had a lot of "dings" from the pro scouts.  can't keep up with receivers/RBs/TE's, gave up on plays a lot, does not have kill speed, etc., etc.   I would doubt he will make that much of an impact, keep in mind, this guy could also be a complete dud in the league, many are that are picked in that spot... not hoping that of course, but just sayin'  --  everyone needs to stay grounded.  I hope he is the next coming of JJ Watt but we all know his physical capabilities and talents are no where near JJ or those who line up from his position that are Pro-Bowlers.  I hope I have to eat my words on that last statement and if so, I will gladly have crow and someone can shove this post back in my face for recall but I just don't think he will be an immediate impact guy.

We dont all know anything he could be better than watt

, this guy could also be a complete dud in the league, many are that are picked in that spot... 

Actually 24 is a lucky number in the draft. 

Players picked at 24 include:

Ed Reed, Dallas Clark, Steven Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Jonathan Joseph, Chris Johnson, Dez Bryant and a few other players.