Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would the Jags be open to trading Blackmon considering his off the field troubles?

jshipp23

I think in the right program with Luck as his QB he could be an ELITE receiver...It would be worth the phone call to see if they would take a 1st round pick next year..I would do that deal in a second, he has the physical skills to be the Best receiver in the NFL within a few years instead of wasting away in Jacksonville.....

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it would represent value for them. He was a 7th (edit: 5th) overall pick if I remember, and probably BPA at that, as well as the consensus #1 WR in the draft.

A first round pick from us would not be considered to represent the same value, even with the drug thing, which isn't really huge, its something you can get past.

There is little value from an age perspective as well, he's only had one year, and was productive (especially late in the year) in an absolutely horrific offense.

A team as bad as the Jags cannot afford to give away one of their few young franchise guys for a roll of the dice draft pick.

I think in the right program with Luck as his QB he could be an ELITE receiver...It would be worth the phone call to see if they would take a 1st round pick next year..I would do that deal in a second, he has the physical skills to be the Best receiver in the NFL within a few years instead of wasting away in Jacksonville.....

I can't deny he is a physical specimen, but he is also a complete head case. I don't him in my locker room, and I don't want to give my division rival another first rounder for someone who is relatively unproven in the NFL.

I'd much rather chase Sammy Watkins from Clemson in the first round next year. Multi-year producer, NOT a head case.

Just MO

They did make a comment recently about not being attached to Blackmon but I think it's a smoke screen.  He's too valuable for them to just dump him to the curb or trade him away.  

That and they wouldn't want to trade him to a division rival, the Browns would probably have more interest in him then we would and be willing to offer up more.

Even if they would only offer up their first rounder next year, who's likely to have a higher first rounder next year, us or the Browns?

I can't imagine the Colts giving up a commodity as precious as a first rounder for a guy with the baggage that he brings.  There were character concerns out of college and now he is suspended for the 1st 4 games of next year.  One more slip up and he is gone for a year.  The risk/reward balance is out of whack for Indy to give up a high choice.

Here's the catch 22....

1) Currently, Jacksonville won't trade him unless another team offered an arm and a leg.

2) If things got worse with Blackmon, their asking price would be more fair. But if things get so bad that Jacksonville is willing to trade Blackmon for a reasonable price, would we really want him at that point? 

It could play out several way of course but, I am betting on DHB to be our future #1 WR. I still see the Colts using an early pick on a top WR prospect though... that way if one falters, hopefully the other flourishes. I still have hope for a guy like Jeremy Kelley to make a great #3/4. In Pep's offense I think the taller guys will get some good looks all year long.

There's about a 4% chance they trade him and I highly doubt the Colts would be on the list to get him.

I would also not trade for a guy like him, considering our WR core is pretty stacked. 

A BIG NO THANKS TO BLACKMON!

Not the football type of guy that this front office seeks. With Polian, it was speed first, then character, then football acumen.

Seems our new take is football acumen, then character and grit. I want to see one more draft to clarify my perceptions better.

I would pass on Blackmon too many off the field issues. I like our WR's i don't think we need one even if Wayne retires next year.  TY should get 1,000 yards this year has star potential,DHB has great size and speed and never had a QB in Oak huge upgrade over Avery, and Brazil showed some flashes of his potential last year against the Lions and the Patriots. That's a really good WR trio probably the fastest in the league and we also have Fleener and Allen.  We have a lot of talent on offense which is why i think we go defense in next years draft, a safety to replace Bethea or a CB.

We need a #1 receiver....

Someday soon we will need a #1 receiver.   But you don't have to spend a #1 to get one.   And you especially don't have to spend a #1 on a guy who is one DUI away from sitting out the the entire season.    If Blackmon has one more off the field incident like a DUI he's suspended for a year!    How's that #1 pick looking now?

Never pay full price for a player that has played his way on to the discount shelf.

Remember,  there were teams that didn't think Blackmon was worth a #1 before the draft.    By now, he's no longer worth a #1.

That said, the poster who said J'Ville would not trade him to Indy is correct.    Of course, they might if we were silly enough to offer a #1.

Look at WR corps like Green Bay and Pittsburgh....   neither of them spent a #1 on a WR.    You can find very good WR's after the first round.    Just like RB's....

I like Blackmon as a player, but I think you overrate him. He seems like a lesser version of Dez Bryant.

A lesser Dez Bryant is Demaryius Thomas... I'd take that.

I do believe Jags would be much more unwilling for such a thing to happen than we would. He is a very good player.

Yeah, if they did, Cleveland Browns would pounce on him to get the Weeden-Blackmon connection going.

I'm not sure Blackmon is any better than Josh Gordon. And despite Gordon's issues in college, he hasn't had any trouble in a couple years.

I don't think Cleveland would give up anything valuable for Justin Blackmon.

We don't need  a guy that I am pretty sure is an alcoholic! C'mon man! OP I know it's the off season but this seems like such a random player to pull out of the air; with a highly unlikely trade scenario, probably better suited for ones random thoughts but not really worthy of a discussion.

A lesser Dez Bryant is Demaryius Thomas... I'd take that.

I do believe Jags would be much more unwilling for such a thing to happen than we would. He is a very good player.

Thomas is every bit the equal to Bryant imo

It's not out of thin air, it's been discussed that they would be willing to move him, and there were some games last year he showed flashes of what he could be...He needs a QB and a better atmosphere , but his talent is undeniable..If I got stuck in Jacksonville with Blaine Gabbert I'd probably want to drink too....He has the talent to be a top 5 receiver, and the reason It is even a possibility to trade for him is because of the off field trouble....He is worth a late 1st round pick, it's just alcohol, if he learns to call a cab he will be fine

It's not out of thin air, it's been discussed that they would be willing to move him, and there were some games last year he showed flashes of what he could be...He needs a QB and a better atmosphere , but his talent is undeniable..If I got stuck in Jacksonville with Blaine Gabbert I'd probably want to drink too....He has the talent to be a top 5 receiver, and the reason It is even a possibility to trade for him is because of the off field trouble....He is worth a late 1st round pick, it's just alcohol, if he learns to call a cab he will be fine

Was the last incident not for drug use, or have I got my wires crossed?

Why is there an actual conversation about whether to give up a 1 or a 2 or a 3 for Blackmon.

I repeat,  if Blackmon has another serious off the field issue,  he is suspended for one full year.

That type of player is no longer worth a 1 or a 2 or a 3.     Why is this hard to figure out?       :scratch:       :dunno: