Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Panther release Deangello Williams

antipatriot

If the Panthers release Williams I think we should consider trying to get him, at a reduced number because he is currently over paid.  I am not saying trade for him just if they release him.  He is still a great runner and is good in the pass game.  Thoughts?

I dont understand - exactly why would they release him if there is value we would want?

Also - would you agree that the OL was not in the best shape lat year? So how do you know our backs are not good enough?

The way ppl chase names around here there are alot of stars that were drafted in late rounds or came from small schools that would have been skipped right over.

If the Panthers release Williams I think we should consider trying to get him, at a reduced number because he is currently over paid.  I am not saying trade for him just if they release him.  He is still a great runner and is good in the pass game.  Thoughts?

No need imo.

Vick Ballard is a good, reliable 3 down back, Williams has potential to be good for us if we give him the chance (which signing DeAngelo wouldn't allow us to do) and then we can just keep either Brown or Carter as reserve.

We need to give our young, promising players snaps. Not sign up veterans who, in your own words, are over paid.

In my opinion anyway.

why are people so quick to throw away our backs? Ballard ran for over 800 yards behind that mess we called a line... Lets wait and see what they can do behind a real line

and he only started like half the games last year. So mix in a much improved O-line, a full 16 games, and Pep's more run friendly offense and Ballard is a pro bowler if he stays healthy. IMO

why are people so quick to throw away our backs? Ballard ran for over 800 yards behind that mess we called a line... Lets wait and see what they can do behind a real line

I agree 100% lets see what Ballard and Co can do with an actual offensive line before we start restocking the stables with other rb's

I'd take him to replace Delone Carter. Havili is the FB version of Carter so that made Carter expendable. I'd take Williams for the right price. Carolina definitely has a crowded backfield now, someone isn't gonna make that 53

If we could get him for a decent price, sure. Don't think that will happen, though. Also, he may be getting close to 30, yeah?

I appreciate Vick Ballard, but I don't think he will ever be a game changing back.

He'd be an IMMEDIATE upgrade vis-a-vis our 2nd Runningback. If he is willing to come at a reduced rate then I wouldn't mind the move. Be mindful, we are already around the $7-10 million (after paying our rookies) spending cushion that we'd want to have going into the season. So, to sign him, we'd probably be eating into that.

I dont understand - exactly why would they release him if there is value we would want?

Also - would you agree that the OL was not in the best shape lat year? So how do you know our backs are not good enough?

The way ppl chase names around here there are alot of stars that were drafted in late rounds or came from small schools that would have been skipped right over.

Because he is way overpaid, not sure you get that.

I don't see Carolina releasing him,  though I've been surprised by moves before....   

If he is released,  I would think we'd be interested in him to some extent....     You can never have enough quality running backs....

Then again, a reminder,   Grigson does NOT like to 'chase names'....

In other words, he has rarely made it through whole seasons without getting dinged up.

He's plays the most injury prone position in the league and has only missed 16 games in his career. Brown has missed 14 already and Williams has almost 3 times the amount of touches.

Once again here's Darth with my answer!!!!!

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

PS. Hit the NO button real fast for like 10 times and it stretch's out the nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo longer and echo's.....

No more of bringing in football age old fogies, the Colts baring injuries and after the final cut and IR players and ones set to practice squad have their team.

Unless something freaky happens and a major fal up like maybe the Vikes have 2 guys names Adrian Petersons and they cut the wrong one and everybody too thought the same thing and he made it through waivers till it was the Colts turn and we say yes thinking it was the non famous A.Peterson and wala it was the real Adrian Peterson ;}LOL

Yea I know that was messed up, I wonder if that has ever happened, like an assistant didn't understand sarcasm if a coach in jest says that guys not worth a crap just freaking cut him, commenting out of frustration after a bad game in a long time. And he did get cut! Ya again messed up, but I think of crazy/nutty things, but it was fun writing it out and messing with people..... :}LOL

Last 2 paragraphs are me kidding around so please nit picker don't go crazy, yea you know who you are Sheldons!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

He's plays the most injury prone position in the league and has only missed 16 games in his career. Brown has missed 14 already and Williams has almost 3 times the amount of touches.

I've got my hands full at the moment, but I'd be curious to see how many of those games he played in involved limited snaps or grossly ineffective ones. I've had him on fantasy teams at least 5 of his pro seasons, and he's been far more unreliable than you are describing in most of those years, other than '08 and most of '09.

He played in all 16 games each of the last 2 years, but prolly shouldn't have.

I'm fine with what we have now in DB, Ballard, Williams, and even Carter. I am also have a strong feeling about Denodus Obryant. I expect him to show enough to make the team. Smooth runner, and brings a ton of speed.

Again, it would all depend on price.  If we could get him for a reasonable contract for a 30 year old RB, sure.  We have no proven good RB's on this roster.  DeAngelo doesn't fumble much (7 fumbles in 8 years) and when Carolina was a decent team, he was playing lights out.

His only down year is 2010, when yes, he was injured and only played 6 games.  However, in 2011 AND 2012, he played all 16 again.  Yet somehow, he's injury prone?  He'd have much higher numbers if Carolina was such a RB by committee team (PLUS Cam running the ball)  I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

Williams has actually been preserved these last few seasons.  With JStew and Cam he hasn't been asked to carry a significant role, even though he is capable.

He'd be an upgrade over any of our backs, but we can't really afford him, so it's irrelevant.