Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Okay, Let's Say We Stop the Run...

Smonroe

Obviously the objective is to make the other team one dimensional.  It's the same gameplan that was so successful against us in the last few years.  No one respected our run game.  We were fortunate enough to have a QB that still could win against those sets.

Now, just because we're stout against the run does not mean we're automatically putting more pressure on the QB.  It does mean we may be in a lot more nickel and dime D's.

So, what does our Pass D look like?  What's the personnel group?

Are our LBs  talented enough to cover the quick pass to the RB or TE?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can stop the run we take away play-action. We have enough talent amongst the DB's to be in the top half of pass-defense category. I'm not a personell or package guru, so I probably can't answer you question is as much detail as you would probably like. :dunno:

There is always a trade off you settle for.

Division leading/traditionally best teams in the AFC - Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Texans - the first thing they do well is stop the run. But then, like Dan Marino said "it is impossible to defend the perfect pass" or something close. :)

We had a QB in Peyton who could gain every advantage in the passing game against teams geared more to stop the run than the pass. The team he struggled against most was the team best suited to defend the pass in their heyday, the Chargers, IMO. But then, since we could not run against their DL, we played right into their hands. That is another discussion by itself.

If we go into a dome like the Falcons or Saints with our BIG UGLIES, if we get behind, it could get real ugly, IMO. With almost every team but the Texans playing outside a dome, our team is built for bad weather conditions where an opposing team tends to run more than pass and we can get them into a war of attrition. Thankfully, Schaub is not Peyton in his prime inside the Texans' dome to kill us with his passing.

So, w.r.t the division, we are well set up to stop the run. But then, when we play the likes of Brady, Peyton, Rogers, Brees, Ryan etc., we are going to have our struggles with our pass coverage. The hope is that we get creative with our schemes to generate pass rush and I think we will because we seem to have more aggressive coaching on D compared to the Dungy days. Plus, how well Luck keeps the D off the field to keep them fresh will also be a factor.

Ultimately, how well we can disguise pressure and win one-on-one battles at the line of scrimmage (whether it is LB jamming the TE, safety jamming the TE, CB jamming the WR, or DL beating the OL) will determine how well we can rush the passer. If we trot out a 3-4 base formation vs Brady, he will kill our LBs, so will most elite QBs, IMO. We may have to compromise on the run D with 3 safety looks providing us a nickel base that provides slightly more stout run D than with 3 CBs against those elite QBs.

I'd start with a 4-man front vs those elite QBs to keep them from getting a lead, and then vary it to 3-man fronts as the game goes on, that is just me.

To me, on the whole, if our run D improves, it should mean that we're seeing a lot more 3rd and 10s (9s, 8s,7s).  Then, we simply move to a pass formation with better odds of forcing 4th down.

As for formations, it would seem they have several options.  2 down linemen, 3-4 LBs, 2 safeties, and 3-4 corners.  Could go 3 down linemen, 3 LBs, 3 CBs, and 2 safeties.  All depends really.

As for the who... I suspect Mathis is a given, along with Bethea, Landry, Davis, Toler, and Butler.  Likely less NT (Chapman, Hughes, Franklin), and more DT/DE types that can rush the passer, though I wouldn't be surprised if we kept a big body in there to tie up one side of the line.  Then it'd be a matter of which LB stands out the most in terms of pass rush.  Wjerner, Walden, Sidburry, etc.  Could also see some Connor, Angerer, or Freeman.

I suppose it all depends, but I'd suspect that our pass defense is much improved with the addition of Landry and hopefully a good pass-rusher opposite of Mathis (I suspect Wjerner has the best shot).

To me, on the whole, if our run D improves, it should mean that we're seeing a lot more 3rd and 10s (9s, 8s,7s).  Then, we simply move to a pass formation with better odds of forcing 4th down.

The problem with that is if they go no huddle, we won't have time to change personnel to get to that pass formation and our pass rush suffers. So, using the 3-3-5 with a 3 safety nickel base is a good way to go. We will have to blitz, no two ways about it and hope our man coverage holds up.

The problem with that is if they go no huddle, we won't have time to change personnel to get to that pass formation and our pass rush suffers. So, using the 3-3-5 with a 3 safety nickel base is a good way to go. We will have to blitz, no two ways about it and hope our man coverage holds up.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. We're all excited about stopping the run, I am too. But can that run D hold up against the pass?

I know this premature, but several of the first teams we play won't have QBs experienced enough to take advantage of that situation. But we all know what Peyton would do.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. We're all excited about stopping the run, I am too. But can that run D hold up against the pass?

I know this premature, but several of the first teams we play won't have QBs experienced enough to take advantage of that situation. But we all know what Peyton WILL do.

I know this premature, but several of the first teams we play won't have QBs experienced enough to take advantage of that situation. But we all know what Peyton would do.

So would Brady, spread our LBs out and attack us. When the Ravens went nickel on them last year in the AFCCG, they ran with BenJarvis Green Ellis with great success. This year, first the Ravens took out Stevan Ridley (like they did by taking out CJ2K in the 2008 Titans playoff game, like they got a shot in vs Moreno's knee in the 2012 Broncos playoff game, and same way with Ridley, see a pattern???), and then they got tipped balls.

In the 2006 Colts-Patriots regular season game, I saw the Colts with Booger I think in the middle (it was after the Montae Raegor accident) , got a bunch of tipped balls that we got a couple of INTs off Brady. In the 2011 SB vs the Giants, Jason Pierre Paul got a bunch of tipped balls that stalled the Pats' drives or led to red zone stalling resulting in FGs. In the 2012 AFCCG, Pernell McPhee or Arthur Jones, not sure who it was, got a tipped ball that resulted in an Ellerbe INT. If you can't get to Brady, the DL has to tip balls, easier said than done but it has to be done, IMO.

So, preaching active hands for DLs that cannot get to the QB can make up a bit for them not being able to get to the QB, IMO. Plus, constant chipping of the TE by the OLB or DE on the way to the QB also helps throw timing off.

Meh, our HC is no slouch.  The whole concept of getting big to stop the run is great, but it seems to me we fixed our glaring issue, or are at least working on it.  To me, we're getting bigger in the trenches.  That should help both the run and pass defense, as it should occupy blockers to create more 1 on 1s for our pass rushers, which is where we'll benefit the most.

As for the blitz, while I am sure it'll be employed, we can also drop 8 guys in coverage and limit Peyton's options.  Sometimes, sending more guys is just going to create more openings in coverage to exploit.  It's chess it ain't checkers.  As it is, I see us having a new guy like Werner who has the edge-setting ability they like, and also a fairly good pass rush ability.  Mathis is a pure pass rusher.  The more we keep both on the field, the more likely we are able to put consistent pressure on the QB, and more likely we'll be to shut down the run.

I don't get the hoopla with being worried about our pass defense as we get bigger to stop the run.  The guys we picked up aren't covering anyone on most downs.  They're simply trying to work the offensive line to get to the ball carrier/QB.  As I see it, we improved there on all fronts, at least on paper.  You don't see the Ravens worrying about stopping with pass simply because they have Ngata on the field.  Big guys can aid the pass rush by collapsing the pocket so the QB can't step up.

What are we worried about here?

@chad72, you have said it very well

In this league it's "pick your poison", If you stop the run first, the elite QB's are going to eat you up anyway.

You're going to have to depend on the DB's and LB's to slow those guys down.

In our division there is a glut of quality of RB's that can kill you, so we have to gear up to stop them.

Luckily, other than Schwaub, this will work in our favor.

Teams that can run the hurry up and dictate the defensive setup personnel wise are going to put us under pressure.

Against the elite QB's and their teams this will be an interesting year, I hope the secondary is up for it.

We better find a way to generate pressure on the passer, to relieve that pressure on the DB's.

What are we worried about here?

The fact that our DL push is an unknown and if it does not collapse the pocket, we need to manufacture pass rush. Difference between good run stopping DLs and pass stopping DLs is the push. Run stopping DLs, the run has to get past them, so the OLs need to get past them and come to them. Pass stopping DLs, the DLs need to get past the OL front that is guarding a fort they try to form.

Our front seven choices in FA and draft have been heavily focused on selling out to stop the run that could (could being the key word) leave us vulnerable on the pass D front if we cannot generate good pocket push. We all know that if your pass rush isn't good, there is only so much you can do in coverage. Dropping 7 in coverage would mean that you are not playing to the strengths of your D, which is stopping the run.

Ravens had both DL push and a good secondary to go with it. Only time will tell whether we have both. I am not worried because like you, I have confidence in the coaches. But it is a question worth asking/discussing, IMO.

If we can stop the run it makes out pass defense better.

1. You can't make every pass perfect.

2. We can use the blitz and exotic pass d more cause we know they are more likely to pass.

Out run d has been so horrid for years that teams would just line it up and pound us. Then when we were on our heals trying to stop the run they'd pass it on us cause we'd bite hard on play action. Also, it would keep the ball out if our qb's hands by controlling the ball and time of possession by grinding out the clock.

Okay then, let's say we do stop the run

Who's gonna pass on us?

Vontae Davis is a shutdown CB as he showed flashes of last season towards the end

Greg Toler who is under the radar is very good himself

And Darius Butler seems to have become this ball magnet. Idk the stats for sure, but he had to be at least leading us in picks or top 3

Add those three CB's to 2 nice safeties (one who puts fear in other players) and an upgraded pass rush with Werner and others...... I think we'll fair well against the pass imo

Now, just because we're stout against the run does not mean we're automatically putting more pressure on the QB.

Ehhh more often than not, it does ultimately translate into that. Regardless, stopping the run means the other team has to figure out how to get 8-10 yards through the air. We've still got Mathis and now Werner is a guy that can come off the edge and get to the QB.

But I see what you're getting at.

Vontea Davis is pretty good covering his man and Greg Toler and Darius Butler were ranked 1st and 2nd in Quarterback Rating against last season............so if we apply the "Moneyball" metrics I would say that we have a good chance at success next year versus the pass.

Now,to be fair concerning Butler and Toler...............those were limited snaps as the 3rd corner for their respective squads last season.  Will Toler be able to maintain those stats as a 'starting' corner and will Butler be able to maintain his stats playing a full season with us as the nickel?????

The wildcard here really is will Landry be able to drop down into the box, cover a few tightends and take away a few of those short crossing patterns and quick slants like Sanders used to and allow Bethea to play centerfield like he used to and take away a few of those over the top passes?

In our division there is a glut of quality of RB's that can kill you, so we have to gear up to stop them.

Also, it would keep the ball out if our qb's hands by controlling the ball and time of possession by grinding out the clock.

You guys both hit on the one glaring, missing ingredient for us that always comes to mind for me and is inescapable in this discussion about defense....and that is a ball-control, clock-devouring offense.

An offense capable of passing and striking long if needed...yes...but also able to churn out 8-9 minute scoring drives and keeping our defense off the field resting, and keeps the opposing offense agonizing on the sidelines like we used to see done to our offense so often.

There is a very unnecessary, near-panic state over the "this is a passing league now" mantra currently being talked up everywhere. Smart teams aren't buying it.

Because if opposing defenses are becoming so much more stacked against pass-heavy offenses....then opportunities for running the ball and chewing up the clock should be there for teams that equip themselves to not only pass well but also run the ball well.

Our model for this in the past was all too often for us to grab a quick lead and let our defense pin back their ears and sick the opposing QB.....which worked well for most of the regular season....but with the exception of 2006/07 failed in the playoffs when our pass-heavy offense was unable to generate the necessary lead. And almost always those failures were due to a very predictable offense with anemic run-blocking and a rushing attack that following our Super Bowl season sank lower and lower.

Yes....we were undermanned defensively then as well...but the lack of balance and our inability to possess the ball, at will, at key points and especially late in playoff games made it all the more difficult on an undersized and out manned defense. Our old model was flawed not only personnel-wise but also in its philosophy...and exposed against playoff caliber teams all but once.

And that was the playoff year where we did what? Ran the ball and stopped the run....it's still a game of keep-away and it all goes hand in hand.

The good news is that this regime appears to be NOT taking the sugar-high approach of an primarily quick-strike offense and a small, quick defense that was bound to fail when the game slowed down and things got physical.

They appear to be retooling the pass/run balance on both offense and defense....and I think its absolutely the right approach. Hopefully the players they're bringing in will deliver.

Last year we could not stop the run or defend against the pass. So at the very least, if we can stop the run, we're miles ahead of where we were last year. There's no need to worry about this.

Secondly, if we look at our division, we face MJD, CJ2K, and Foster. If we stop them then we're asking Schaub, Locker, and Gabbert to beat us. I like those odds.

The fact that our DL push is an unknown and if it does not collapse the pocket, we need to manufacture pass rush. Difference between good run stopping DLs and pass stopping DLs is the push. Run stopping DLs, the run has to get past them, so the OLs need to get past them and come to them. Pass stopping DLs, the DLs need to get past the OL front that is guarding a fort they try to form.

Our front seven choices in FA and draft have been heavily focused on selling out to stop the run that could (could being the key word) leave us vulnerable on the pass D front if we cannot generate good pocket push. We all know that if your pass rush isn't good, there is only so much you can do in coverage. Dropping 7 in coverage would mean that you are not playing to the strengths of your D, which is stopping the run.

Ravens had both DL push and a good secondary to go with it. Only time will tell whether we have both. I am not worried because like you, I have confidence in the coaches. But it is a question worth asking/discussing, IMO.

Our FA / draft focus is stopping the run?  Based on what?  Drafting/signing "big" guys?

Sorry, I don't buy that logic.

Werner - OLB that can set the edge and rush the passer, so says Pagano AND Grigson.

RJF - DL who is more quick than strong, IE - a penetrator.

Sidburry - An athletic freak who could give us a good rushing option on the edge.

Walden - Figures to be similar to Werner, though hopefully Werner is a better player.  Edge setter with some ability to rush the passer.

The only guys I see as "run focused" are Hughes and Franklin.  That seems to be typical of the NT position, but we have yet to see if Hughes can collapse a pocket.  Honestly, I am wondering if they see Hughes as a poor man's Ngata.  Similar build type, length, agility, etc.  If our eventual line consisted of Redding/RJF at DE, Chapman at NT, and Hughes as the DE (similar to Ngata), I'd suspect we're modeling ourselves after the Ravens.  No doubt Hughes is a lesser talent than Ngata, but just looking based on physical size.

But all in all, this whole notion of us focusing on the run and forgetting the pass is a miss, IMO.  Many of our new guys seem to be talented beyond just run stopping.

Assuming this passing game reaches the level I think it can reach, I would rather stop the run and force teams to try to keep up with us by passing the ball.  That's the way the defense should have been built with Manning at QB.  Instead, teams were able to run the ball, play keepaway and keep the ball out of Manning's hands.   The Colts annually had the fewest offensive possessions in the league. 

If we can stop the run we take away play-action. We have enough talent amongst the DB's to be in the top half of pass-defense category. I'm not a personell or package guru, so I probably can't answer you question is as much detail as you would probably like. :dunno:

Stopping the run doesn't necessarily take away the play-action.  The play-action is probably most effective when you do manage to stop the run by playing the run aggressively.

The wildcard here really is will Landry be able to drop down into the box, cover a few tightends and take away a few of those short crossing patterns and quick slants like Sanders used to and allow Bethea to play centerfield like he used to and take away a few of those over the top passes?

Landry is not fantastic at taking away or breaking up the pass even in short coverage, it's a product of his lack of fluidity.  He'll make the tackle after the catch (and probably celebrate), though.

Our FA / draft focus is stopping the run?  Based on what?  Drafting/signing "big" guys?

Sorry, I don't buy that logic.

Nope, that is not what I based it on.

RJF - primary role will be 3-4 DE with 2 gap principles, in other words containment primarily, and 3-4 NT on passing downs, at least that might be the expectation if we don't substitute. We have Nevis for 4-3 UT purposes, so I don't think RJF is the primary UT penetrator by any means. So, expectation there is more run D than pass D.

Walden - first thing talked about him was setting the edge, so there is stopping the run for you.

Werner - will be playing passing downs behind Walden, so yeah, that is a pass rush component other than Mathis, no doubt about it.

Montori Hughes is a big unknown, which is what I inferred to. Sidbury, you definitely have higher hopes from him than I do. Then, you trade Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard, who is more stellar on the run D front and had issues with coverage (from everything I have read and opinions shared by Bills fans too on BuffaloRumblings)

So, I gave you the unknowns, IMO, and whether you agree or not, this is what I based my run D oriented front 7 moves assessment on. :) Outside Werner, all our front 7 moves in the draft and FA focused more on run D than pass D with a few unknowns that we don't know how they will pan out.

I like the idea of a 3-3-5. Put your two gap clogger, Franklin, head up on the center. Have your gap penetrator, RJF, in the weak side B gap. Best run stopping DT, Nevis, strong side 5 tech. For one of the LBs you have your best pass rusher, Mathis/Werner as basically a 3-4 OLB. The other two are your coverage LBs, Freeman and Angerer. Then you put your best in the box Safety, Landry, right where he belongs. Let him roam around and put a big hit on a RB or TE if they throw a quick pass. Bethea and Lefeged play Cover 2, with the corners in press man coverage.

Flash777 quote: Secondly, if we look at our division, we face MJD, CJ2K, and Foster. If we stop them then we're asking Schaub, Locker, and Gabbert to beat us. I like those odds.

^^^^^

I too like those odds sir :}

Schaub is not going to take Texans to a Super Bowl let alone win one!!!!!<ROTFlmao

In our division, we need to stop the run to win games. Put the game in the hands of Gabbert, Locker, and Schaub. 

If we can stop the run, we make those QBs try to win the game for which none have shown to win games consistently without run games. 

Although I am worried about the more pass happy teams like Saints or Broncos and how we will match up against them.

Last year we could not stop the run or defend against the pass. So at the very least, if we can stop the run, we're miles ahead of where we were last year. There's no need to worry about this.

Secondly, if we look at our division, we face MJD, CJ2K, and Foster. If we stop them then we're asking Schaub, Locker, and Gabbert to beat us. I like those odds.

But by the end of last year the D was pretty good at stopping teams from getting in the end zone. If that D could hold teams to one TD a game for the last 4 games, I'm hoping for big things this year.

I know this premature, but several of the first teams we play won't have QBs experienced enough to take advantage of that situation. But we all know what Peyton WILL do.

He'll have happy feet and throw an INT across his body as he's being sacked by Mathis?

The only guys I see as "run focused" are Hughes and Franklin.  That seems to be typical of the NT position, but we have yet to see if Hughes can collapse a pocket.  Honestly, I am wondering if they see Hughes as a poor man's Ngata.  Similar build type, length, agility, etc.  If our eventual line consisted of Redding/RJF at DE, Chapman at NT, and Hughes as the DE (similar to Ngata), I'd suspect we're modeling ourselves after the Ravens.  No doubt Hughes is a lesser talent than Ngata, but just looking based on physical size.

You don't need to wonder anymore.    That's EXACTLY who Pagano and Grigson compared him too -- by name.    If you read some of the post-draft stories on Colts.com or watch the post draft day 3 video you can see and hear for yourself.    They see Hughes as a poor man's Haloti Nnata.     That's the comparison.      :thmup:

You don't need to wonder anymore.    That's EXACTLY who Pagano and Grigson compared him too -- by name.    If you read some of the post-draft stories on Colts.com or watch the post draft day 3 video you can see and hear for yourself.    They see Hughes as a poor man's Haloti Nnata.     That's the comparison.      :thmup:

Which makes me wonder about Chapman. I know they brag on him, but they have never compared him to Ngata like they did Hughes. That is going to be very interesting.

Which makes me wonder about Chapman. I know they brag on him, but they have never compared him to Ngata like they did Hughes. That is going to be very interesting.

I understand what you're saying....   but I'd add this....   Ngata (I always screw up the spelling!)  doesn't only play NT....   I think he plays DE a fair amount of the time....   I'd say at least 50 percent of the time....

Personally,  I see Hughes eventually being the guy who replaces Redding....  

Although a rotation of Chapman and Hughes might be scary good as well.....     

I'd just like to give Hughes a bit more room to seek and destroy on the outside....   Grigson made it a point to talk about Hughes' ability to start and stop, to move laterally,  his great athletic skills...    I just think his superior athletic skills would be wasted playing on the Nose....   to many bodies in the way....  too much trash to step over.

But my view maybe the minority view on this....

If the Colts can take care of the teams in AFC South that is 6 wins, not a guarantee, there are no guarantees, well except death and taxes but that of the topic for sure :}LOL After that then 5 more out of 10 reg season games and playoffs are "almost" a given :}

How often did we see peyton struggle against a 3-4 D though the ravens pats san diego and the steelers if you have the right personal which it looks like we are pretty close to that 3-4 can be very effective against the pass as well as the run.

I understand what you're saying....   but I'd add this....   Ngata (I always screw up the spelling!)  doesn't only play NT....   I think he plays DE a fair amount of the time....   I'd say at least 50 percent of the time....

Personally,  I see Hughes eventually being the guy who replaces Redding....  

Although a rotation of Chapman and Hughes might be scary good as well.....     

I'd just like to give Hughes a bit more room to seek and destroy on the outside....   Grigson made it a point to talk about Hughes' ability to start and stop, to move laterally,  his great athletic skills...    I just think his superior athletic skills would be wasted playing on the Nose....   to many bodies in the way....  too much trash to step over.

But my view maybe the minority view on this....

I rarely see Ngata playing 34 NT....which is what Chapman will be asked to do. Your are correct, Ngata is usually playing DE....or inside in a 4 man front.

Truth be told, that was the first thing I thought when I saw his measurables.  Just wasn't sure if it was right or not.  But that being said, if he would pan out, and if Chapman pans out, we could have pretty solid front.  Even if Hughes is half the player that Ngata is, that'd still be one heckuva a player.