Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Love This O-Line

unitaswestand

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Ballard said we were using more zone/gap principle blocking, but I'm starting to wonder just how much zone are we going to run because as it looks now with our additions: Castonzo, Donald Thomas, Khaled Holmes, Hugh Thorton(along with his former OL coach and now Colts OL coach in Joe Gilbert), and Gosder Cherlius. They all ran zone blocking schemes for most of their career. I am just curious I know pep used mostly power at Stanford but with these 4 additions to the OL and with Castonzo drafted into a zone scheme, I just think it will be more zone/gap scheme than most think with these additions, can't wait until Camp to find out

Shipley has a big heart and is a high effort player, but he's too short and not capable of holding up at the point of attack for an entire season. He has small short arms, and can't get out of his stance or punch in short yardage. Satelle is the starter at center, until injury or the rookie overtakes him around the middle of the season.

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Holmes at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

It is quite amazing that essentially the entire line has changed in three years.    These guys are big, hungry, but fluid.  I can't wait to see Brown and Ballard pounding the ball up the middle.

Lets just say that it looks a ton better than last year.. And even that is an understatement

I am hearing now that many analysts had Holmes as their highest rated center and many others saying that he was the best ZBS C available in this draft... I'm not sure how much ZBS we will run, but Holmes seems like an extremely intelligent guy who is very good at reading defenses... I hope he pans out and improves the interior line... Shipley was decent last season, but I hope the F.O. is looking for that franchise guy who can be Luck's Saturday....

Shipley has a big heart and is a high effort player, but he's too short and not capable of holding up at the point of attack for an entire season. He has small short arms, and can't get out of his stance or punch in short yardage. Satelle is the starter at center, until injury or the rookie overtakes him around the middle of the season.

I like Shipley as well. However, I am completely open to giving Satele a shot with competent OGs on either side. It should make a difference. Average guard play could potentially make Satele look worse than he actually is.

Now he's too short to play a position? Man you guys are major critics. It's literally impossible to please you guys

He can play C. It may have been smoke & mirrors last year, but when Shipley took over for Satele we were able to run that ball. Idk where it came from. Maybe we had the "secret stuff" that Bugs Bunny had in Space Jam with Michael Jordan. haha

Bottomline, Shipley can play C if he really sets his mind too it. The same way little Eric Weddle can play safety. Small, but he's definitely a good safety

I am hearing now that many analysts had Holmes as their highest rated center and many others saying that he was the best ZBS C available in this draft... I'm not sure how much ZBS we will run, but Holmes seems like an extremely intelligent guy who is very good at reading defenses... I hope he pans out and improves the interior line... Shipley was decent last season, but I hope the F.O. is looking for that franchise guy who can be Luck's Saturday....

What is ZBS?

Satele will start next season and this forum will be up in arms about it next year.

Book it.

If Satele starts, that means Shipley is hurt and Holmes is a bust!  LOL.  Really, Satele is pretty bad.  Horrible footwork and no balance.  I swear if there was a stat that showed whiffs and falling on the ground after missing a block, he would lead the league.

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Holmes at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

It is quite amazing that essentially the entire line has changed in three years.    These guys are big, hungry, but fluid.  I can't wait to see Brown and Ballard pounding the ball up the middle.

idk if you read his scouting report, or even heard the reports even on ESPN during the draft, but holmes is physically weak in the legs and gets thrown around by more aggressive defensive tackles. trying to protect luck not kill him. honestly our center spot aside from shipley is pretty weak. that is why i thought we should have used our 3rd pick on Barrett Jones or Schwenke to fill the center spot. 

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Holmes at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

I believe we will eventually see it.

idk if you read his scouting report, or even heard the reports even on ESPN during the draft, but holmes is physically weak in the legs and gets thrown around by more aggressive defensive tackles. trying to protect luck not kill him. honestly our center spot aside from shipley is pretty weak. that is why i thought we should have used our 3rd pick on Barrett Jones or Schwenke to fill the center spot.

Did you hear the scouting reports on T.Y. Hilton? Good return man, but won't be a very good receiver Due to his size and don't think he can take hits across the middle, Just shows that scouting reports are wrong a lot, so take them with a grain of salt, another one is Vick Ballard, I remember one scout saying he would be a change of pace back at best in his career, scouts are wrong a ton

Now he's too short to play a position? Man you guys are major critics. It's literally impossible to please you guys

He can play C. It may have been smoke & mirrors last year, but when Shipley took over for Satele we were able to run that ball. Idk where it came from. Maybe we had the "secret stuff" that Bugs Bunny had in Space Jam with Michael Jordan. haha

Bottomline, Shipley can play C if he really sets his mind too it. The same way little Eric Weddle can play safety. Small, but he's definitely a good safety

I'm not saying anything negative about Shipley, I love his heart and he wants to play well and hard. Simple fact of the matter is, he's too short to play center effectively. Arm length, affects your balance when you react on a play before you can recover. Grit and determination can sustain you in short bursts, but it's not sustainable over the long term.

I said over and over with the 86th pick they should have picked B.Schwenke before the pick they made and who is a proven guard and center and look who got B.Schwanke, the Titans did at 107.....

Go Colts!!!!!

EDIT: Of all the players in the draft B.Schwenke was rated at #80 and Thornton was rated at #102

I have to wonder how much of this " he is weak in the lower body" stuff is because these analysts ( not scouts) were watching him in 2012 play on his injured ankle. After watching him against Star and the guy at ND in 2011, I don't see lower body stength as being an issue. He played real well against those guys.

People also say he is weak beacause he only did 13 reps at 225 ( I should be so weak) but,again, it was an injury that caused this.

I think this guy might really surprise some people.

I'm not saying anything negative about Shipley, I love his heart and he wants to play well and hard. Simple fact of the matter is, he's too short to play center effectively. Arm length, affects your balance when you react on a play before you can recover. Grit and determination can sustain you in short bursts, but it's not sustainable over the long term.

Every time he came in our line play increased substantially. Look at the first half of the GB game then compare it ot the second half when he came in.

He's not worth the money anymore. Time to find a younger k with more power. Os his cap number still high for a K?

McAfee has stated he'd like to become the kicker sometime soon -- I wouldn't object to seeing him compete with Vinatieri  and maybe take over after the season (I forget how long Vinatieri's contract is but with the franchise tag on McAfee and Vinatieri's big deal I imagine that we have to be paying more than almost any other team for our Punter/Kicker combination).  We did sign a undrafted K, who looks pretty good -- I wonder if we can give him a year to develop on practice squad unDer Vinatieri and McAfee and then have him be signed for cheap as an insurance policy next year (doubtful, as I don't recall the last time we had a K/P on our practice squad, but kind of wonder why they would even bother signing this guy with McAfee and Vinatieri under contract).

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Shipley at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

.....what I want this year.

Here is what I want:

Costanzo LT

Ijalana LG

Satele C

Thorton RG

Cherilus RT

I think between Thomas, Holmes, and Shipley we have outstanding depth in the interior - and if Cherilus or Costanzo went down, I think Ijalana would move out to tackle (this is wishful thinking, we have to see Ijalana get healthy first, but if he is healthy, I think he can become our best OL).  I would not mind us seeing another T brought in thru FA (even if it was Winston Justice, for cheap) as I am not sold at all on our other back-ups, especially if we were to lose Costanzo for a period of more than a few plays.

I would personally rather see Shipley start at center.

Seems pretty unlikely that Shipley will be on the roster this fall.  I know he became a cult hero around here but it is pretty clear what his future is with the franchise after the draft.

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Holmes at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

The chances of Satele not winning the starting job are very slim.  Holmes may be the future, but Satele is the present.  Not sure why very few want to accept Satele as the starter for now.  If Satele has another injury plagued year, then your wishes will be granted.  If healthy, he is a pretty darn good center.

The reason why Holmes got thrown around by more aggressive DT's is because he played when he was badly hurt last year.

As several analysts noted,  with Holmes,  you had to look at his 2011 tape,  not his 2012.

Can he improve?   Yes.    Can he get bigger and stronger?    Yes.    But the kid made roughly 40+ starts over 4-years at USC.   He's a talented kid.    It's just hard to tell by his 2012 tape.

The chances of Satele not winning the starting job are very slim. Holmes may be the future, but Satele is the present. Not sure why very few want to accept Satele as the starter for now. If Satele has another injury plagued year, then your wishes will be granted. If healthy, he is a pretty darn good center.

haha no just no he isn't a good center Shipley was better

McAfee has stated he'd like to become the kicker sometime soon -- I wouldn't object to seeing him compete with Vinatieri and maybe take over after the season (I forget how long Vinatieri's contract is but with the franchise tag on McAfee and Vinatieri's big deal I imagine that we have to be paying more than almost any other team for our Punter/Kicker combination). We did sign a undrafted K, who looks pretty good -- I wonder if we can give him a year to develop on practice squad unDer Vinatieri and McAfee and then have him be signed for cheap as an insurance policy next year (doubtful, as I don't recall the last time we had a K/P on our practice squad, but kind of wonder why they would even bother signing this guy with McAfee and Vinatieri under contract).

Here is what I want:

Costanzo LT

Ijalana LG

Satele C

Thorton RG

Cherilus RT

I think between Thomas, Holmes, and Shipley we have outstanding depth in the interior - and if Cherilus or Costanzo went down, I think Ijalana would move out to tackle (this is wishful thinking, we have to see Ijalana get healthy first, but if he is healthy, I think he can become our best OL). I would not mind us seeing another T brought in thru FA (even if it was Winston Justice, for cheap) as I am not sold at all on our other back-ups, especially if we were to lose Costanzo for a period of more than a few plays.

I'd like this with Thomas at C. Hasn't he played there b4?

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Holmes at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

I think that's likely to be the starting O-line in 2014,  but my guess is 2013 would be too soon.    I don't see Holmes as being ready to start this year...

I easily could be wrong,  but that's my instinct for right now....