Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jarvis Jones visits Colts

CjMcGirt23

I hope teams and analysts keep doubting him so he can fall to us. One can only dream.

I think he's not a player that put up off the field numbers (40 times, etc). I feel he's that type of player who isn't attractive on draft day but will show up on game day.

And people cringe at his 40 time but he's a linebacker, I'm more worried about his first step and instincts than how fast he can run 40 yards. Most running this guy will do is chasing down a rb outside.

Please, I pray Jarvis jones falls to us.

I'm not impressed with a guy who deliberately passes on the combine -- he was a no show over strong objections from NFL types.

Then, he puts all of his money on his pro day.    The day is terrible....   very cold...  windy....  the footing is bad...

Jones has a bad day.  

HIs reaction?      No big deal.     He didn't seem the least bit bothered by it. 

Did he say he'd have another pro day later in April to show scouts what he can do?      No.

Sorry,  but I'm not impressed with that kind of attitude.     He doesn't strike me as a Grigson/Pagano type of player.

Then again,  Jones visited the headquarters,  so it's on the company dime....   so, there is likely a strong level of interest....

Maybe we draft him despite his baggage....

Go figure.......

I'm not impressed with a guy who deliberately passes on the combine -- he was a no show over strong objections from NFL types.

Then, he puts all of his money on his pro day.    The day is terrible....   very cold...  windy....  the footing is bad...

Jones has a bad day.  

HIs reaction?      No big deal.     He didn't seem the least bit bothered by it. 

Did he say he'd have another pro day later in April to show scouts what he can do?      No.

Sorry,  but I'm not impressed with that kind of attitude.     He doesn't strike me as a Grigson/Pagano type of player.

Then again,  Jones visited the headquarters,  so it's on the company dime....   so, there is likely a strong level of interest....

Go figure.......

I'm not a J. Jones advocate one way or the other, but top prospects have frequently ducked elements of the combine.  Our own A. Luck didn't throw.  They all control their brand with the counsel of whoever they listen to.  Maybe I'm not reading enough, but if I see any attitude in his reaction to his pro day performance, it is positive not negative (to me).  I'd much rather a prospect say "it is what it is, I rest my case with the film and any personal workouts and interviews you'd like to do with me rather than make excuses or scurry about and say I can do much better if you give me another chance under better conditions.  The guy should be confident, he actually has the tape to back it up.  I don't hear a bad attitude, just a guy that knows what he is.

Jones has a bad day.  

Go figure.......

People put way way way to much stock into the combine, I want to know what he does in pads and clearly he pasts that test, He is a pass rush terror and a play maker, that sounds like Grigsons kind of player

People put way way way to much stock into the combine, I want to know what he does in pads and clearly he pasts that test, He is a pass rush terror and a play maker, that sounds like Grigsons kind of player

Do you have any idea the number of players in college who were really, really good college players....   then got into the pros,  and completely flamed out?

I think you'd be surprised.    And, if you read my post, it wasn't just the combine...   it was the combine decision,  then flaming out on the pro day,  then his "I don't care attitude"...  on and on...  

Not impressed.

Then again....   the Colts may be....      so....   who knows....

Baggage? You're not implying he has character issues because he didn't participate in the combine are you?

Perhaps baggage is the wrong word....

How about attitude?     

No combine over NFL objections.

Bad pro day.     Doesn't seem to care.

No re-do of his pro day to demonstrate his ability.

Not a winning, competitive attitude in my view....

Perhaps baggage is the wrong word....

How about attitude?     

No combine over NFL objections.

Bad pro day.     Doesn't seem to care.

No re-do of his pro day to demonstrate his ability.

Not a winning, competitive attitude in my view....

Do you blame him? His goal is to get a job in the NFL and get picked as high as he can. If he didn't think he could run better than he did at his first pro-day than why would he run again and potentially drop his stock more?

That just seems smart to me.

Do you blame him? His goal is to get a job in the NFL and get picked as high as he can. If he didn't think he could run better than he did at his first pro-day than why would he run again and potentially drop his stock more?

That just seems smart to me.

Fine.      If that's what the kid thinks is in his best interest,  then fine.

But, as a GM,  that doesn't mean I have to like it, or agree with it.   So, if I were the GM,  then it would be a negative strike.

So,  yes,  I do blame him if I'm considering taking him.    I want as much information as I can, not less.

From the players perspective,  he's entitled to do what's best for him.    So is the team.

Unless I felt his tape and the research my staff and scouts and coaches have done answered all my questions,  then he wouldn't be a first round pick for my team.   I might take him in the 2nd round,   but not the first.

Do you have any idea the number of players in college who were really, really good college players....   then got into the pros,  and completely flamed out?

I think you'd be surprised.    And, if you read my post, it wasn't just the combine...   it was the combine decision,  then flaming out on the pro day,  then his "I don't care attitude"...  on and on...  

Not impressed.

Then again....   the Colts may be....      so....   who knows....

I dont really see it that big a deal, I can name several players who ran a faster 40 at that position and flamed out or who passed on workouts or a combine anf flamed out, have to trust the game tape and interview process

I dont really see it that big a deal, I can name several players who ran a faster 40 at that position and flamed out or who passed on workouts or a combine anf flamed out, have to trust the game tape and interview process

I think you can avoid some of this stuff if you're a rock solid pick.   Luck and RG3 can skip combine drills.  Many other QB's did too.

But when you put it all on the line at the pro day and then do poorly, and then downplay doing it poorly and then don't reschedule another effort....

Well, then....   that speaks loudly to me....

I know it's Bama, but dude gets blocked on pass rushes by a TE regularly. Complete non factor against the run even when blocked by a TE. I'm not impressed.

yeah, not impressive. and that's at the college level. imagine him against nfl caliber players

I actually like that tape.. just forget about first 2 downs.. he had to set the edge.. which he did good, and in third down he put some pressure and got him once..

Don't really think he'll fall to us.. but if he's there or maybe at pick 21 we should take him..

Well if he gets past the Steelers at 17 then he'll fall to us because there's no 34 teams between us and them.

Well if he gets past the Steelers at 17 then he'll fall to us because there's no 34 teams between us and them.

yeah but that's also trade down territory for those teams at 22, 23...  but let's hope man.. we will be getting a really good player.. he just need to get stronger, but the skill and instincts are there

I was a huge JJ fan post Bowl season...   but ...   I just don't know now. 

His workout numbers scare the hell out of me.  

Watch JJ vs Ogletree....   on game tape it is very obvious who the "better athlete"  is ...     Ogletree is just a freak. 

Jones?    Oh man?    I really am torn..     I would say stay away right now.      In the first that is.

This guy is non existent in the tape I watched. I wouldn't spend a first on him.

:lol:  Good one. Watch his game against Florida for one, then watch against mizzou and against Bama. Non existent  :funny: gimme a break. He made Fluker work very hard that entire game.

Guys.. seriously.. He didn't have an awesome game against Bama (best OL in college football in some years) and still had 6 tackles, 2 sacks.

In 2012 he had 85 tackles, 24 tackles-for-loss, 14.5 sacks, 1 interception, 7 forced fumbles, and 2 fumbles recovered.

and this guy it's not about stats either.. he plays the run really good, and he's a perfect fit.. can play both sides.. at #24 we should be grateful if he's there..

Guys.. seriously.. He didn't have an awesome game against Bama (best OL in college football in some years) and still had 6 tackles, 2 sacks.

In 2012 he had 85 tackles, 24 tackles-for-loss, 14.5 sacks, 1 interception, 7 forced fumbles, and 2 fumbles recovered.

and this guy it's not about stats either.. he plays the run really good, and he's a perfect fit.. can play both sides.. at #24 we should be grateful if he's there..

Its that mindset of thinking they are ALWAYS supposed to be in pass rush mode, a la Freeney and Mathis. I liked the tape myself as well because he shows A LOT of discipline in maintaining his ground and protecting against the screen which was what Bama was looking for, primarily on JJ's side. AJ looked to that side quite often to find JJ sitting in the hole and protecting his ground. Had he played that game like Freeney, in which every play is about shooting up field, Georgia would have been destroyed. JJ played a very smart game in keeping himself in or around the ball carrier rather than shooting up field every play, which was what Bama was hoping for.

Against the premier O-line in college football he played a very good game. People need to stop living in the Freeney-esque play that's been prevalent here in Indy so long. JJ showed his versatility in that he can play the pass and run just as well as he can rush the passer. THAT'S what we are looking for here in Indy now.

I was a huge JJ fan post Bowl season...   but ...   I just don't know now. 

His workout numbers scare the heck out of me.  

Watch JJ vs Ogletree....   on game tape it is very obvious who the "better athlete"  is ...     Ogletree is just a freak. 

Jones?    Oh man?    I really am torn..     I would say stay away right now.      In the first that is.

I'm glad to see there are a few more coming around to my side of things. I have been saying all along that I'm not sold on Jones being a good pro, especially as a rush LBer in our system. I think he's a better 4-3 prospect IMO. I have been told over and over that this guy is just a stud, but I just can't see it. Your right and is also something else I said, his workout numbers are flat terrible and makes me question his work ethic and if he just thought he would cruise to a top 10 pick without having to prove himself in his pro day. I have never really seen all the hype surrounding this guy IMO.

I know it's Bama, but dude gets blocked on pass rushes by a TE regularly. Complete non factor against the run even when blocked by a TE. I'm not impressed.

Looking at this tape, I'd say;

Jones did his job setting the edge and applying pressure.

Ogletree may look frail but he can hit.

Bama had the best O-line in CFB

Yeldon looked like a stud.

Lacy showed vision, balance, power and breakaway speed. I never was a big fan of Lacy but this tape is making me second guess that. 4.6 forty or not, dude is a stud.

I'm glad to see there are a few more coming around to my side of things. I have been saying all along that I'm not sold on Jones being a good pro, especially as a rush LBer in our system. I think he's a better 4-3 prospect IMO. I have been told over and over that this guy is just a stud, but I just can't see it. Your right and is also something else I said, his workout numbers are flat terrible and makes me question his work ethic and if he just thought he would cruise to a top 10 pick without having to prove himself in his pro day. I have never really seen all the hype surrounding this guy IMO.

Where do you see him fitting in with a 4-3 team?  To me, based on his size, athleticism (his game tape far outweighs his combine performance imo) and skill set he screams 3-4.  The only place I could see him fitting in with a 4-3 team is at SLB but unless he's used primarily as a blitzer then I think that really fails to take advantage of what he could bring to the table.  I'm just curious what kind of position or situation you see him excelling in with a 4-3 team.

Where do you see him fitting in with a 4-3 team?  To me, based on his size, athleticism (his game tape far outweighs his combine performance imo) and skill set he screams 3-4.  The only place I could see him fitting in with a 4-3 team is at SLB but unless he's used primarily as a blitzer then I think that really fails to take advantage of what he could bring to the table.  I'm just curious what kind of position or situation you see him excelling in with a 4-3 team.

As you suggest, 4-3 SLB in the Von Miller role.  To me, that is the same basic job description as the hybrid SOLB in our system.  It is the same thing as saying he might adapt the the Jarrett Johnson role, but I wouldn't put him in the Suggs role.