Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jarvis Jones visits Colts

CjMcGirt23

Where do you see him fitting in with a 4-3 team?  To me, based on his size, athleticism (his game tape far outweighs his combine performance imo) and skill set he screams 3-4.  The only place I could see him fitting in with a 4-3 team is at SLB but unless he's used primarily as a blitzer then I think that really fails to take advantage of what he could bring to the table.  I'm just curious what kind of position or situation you see him excelling in with a 4-3 team.

IMO, his size says more of a SLBer in a 4-3. IMO, he's undersized to play in a 3-4. At 6'2" 241 lbs, that is small for an OLBer in the 3-4. For what ever it's worth, Mike Mayock see's it the same way. On all his projections, he always has Jones listed as a 4-3 LBer instead of a 3-4 LBer. This is part of what it says on NFL.com...

This is what I'm talking about.

One-year starter. Inconsistent using his hands to disengage from better blocks and to beat cut blocks from running backs in pass pro. Lacks an ideal frame to get much bigger and doesnt have the growth potential to the bulk teams want at the position. Will need to prove he can stay with NFL ball carriers in space when dropping into the flat. Not particularly smooth in deep drops. Doesnt have elite bend around the corner, and could use a spin or other counter move to keep tackles guessing. Missed the last five games of the 2009 with a neck injury, part of his senior year in high school with a broken thumb. There is some concern about his long-term durability due to his spinal stenosis condition, the same ailment that has caused some players to call it quits, including Marcus McNeill, Chris Samuels and Michael Irvin.

IMO, his size says more of a SLBer in a 4-3. IMO, he's undersized to play in a 3-4. At 6'2" 241 lbs, that is small for an OLBer in the 3-4. For what ever it's worth, Mike Mayock see's it the same way. On all his projections, he always has Jones listed as a 4-3 LBer instead of a 3-4 LBer. This is part of what it says on NFL.com...

Hmm...interesting.  I think, like with a lot of players this year, there are a lot of varying opinions.  I typically like Mayock and tend to agree with him more than any of the other draft guys but in this case, I agree with this:

Whether or not he would be able to fit in a 4-3 defense like Irvin would depend on how he is used, but he would fit best as a pass rush OLB in a 3-4 like in college.

from... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jarvis-jones?id=2540137

I think there are simply a lot of "tweener" type players this year when it comes to the defensive front 7 that some people will see one way while others see them the opposite way.  I do think he could excel with a 4-3 team if he's used in the same manner as Denver uses Von Miller...but to use him as a "traditional" SLB would be a waste imo. There do seem to be a lot more teams now using a more hybrid approach though so honestly it comes down more to how he will be used and not necessarily the base scheme of the team he goes to.  I'm not sure he would be the best fit for teams like Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota etc who still stick to a more traditional cover-2 type 4-3 scheme.

:)

Go tell that to James Harrison and our very own Robert Mathis, to which he's bigger than both. To what you had quoted at the bottom of your post, Jones started the last 2 years at Georgia and racked up 28 sacks in that time after transferring out of USC. The guy has played at an ALL AMERICAN level as a 3-4 OLB'er. Why would ANYONE want to take him out of a position he's dominated at, while being in the premier conference of college football?

Hmm...interesting.  I think, like with a lot of players this year, there are a lot of varying opinions.  I typically like Mayock and tend to agree with him more than any of the other draft guys but in this case, I agree with this:

from... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jarvis-jones?id=2540137

I think there are simply a lot of "tweener" type players this year when it comes to the defensive front 7 that some people will see one way while others see them the opposite way.  I do think he could excel with a 4-3 team if he's used in the same manner as Denver uses Von Miller...but to use him as a "traditional" SLB would be a waste imo. There do seem to be a lot more teams now using a more hybrid approach though so honestly it comes down more to how he will be used and not necessarily the base scheme of the team he goes to.  I'm not sure he would be the best fit for teams like Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota etc who still stick to a more traditional cover-2 type 4-3 scheme.

:)

Yeah, I seen that too, but I've said every since the combine that I think he fits better with a 4-3 defense and then Mayock started projecting him there too. I'm like you, I tend to agree with Mayock more than some of the other draft analysts. I just see 3-4 OLBers more in the 6'4" 250+ lb. build. I agree with their write up on NFL.com that Jones don't have the frame to bulk up. He looks like he's pretty much maxed out to me and I'll still admit that his pro day workout really worries me.

That 40 time is just awful and I don't know if he just had a really bad day or if he feels entitled, or what it was, but for a LBer his size to run that slow is inexcusable IMO. Charlie Casserly said a LBer his size has never made it in the NFL running that slow of a 40 time.

I don't try to put a whole lot of stock in a 40 time, but it's important for some positions and when somebody has a really bad workout, it might speak for his work ethic too. 

Go tell that to James Harrison and our very own Robert Mathis, to which he's bigger than both. To what you had quoted at the bottom of your post, Jones started the last 2 years at Georgia and racked up 28 sacks in that time after transferring out of USC. The guy has played at an ALL AMERICAN level as a 3-4 OLB'er. Why would ANYONE want to take him out of a position he's dominated at, while being in the premier conference of college football?

Listen, I do not care that he played 3-4 in college. The pro's are a different story and by the way, Mathis is bigger than Jones, not by much but a little none the less. lets' face it, if the Colts weren't in a desperate situation last season with so much roster turnover, Mathis likely wouldn't be here either. He was kept because they wanted a little leadership kept on defense from the old regime.

I get tired of the comparisons to other players anyway. Just because 1 or 2  guys around the same size have had success, don't mean somebody that has never played a snap in the NFL is going to have success. IMO this will more than likely be Mathis' last season with the Colts unless he really shine's playing the weak side.

Plenty of guy's have to change positions in the NFL, because they are tweener's and Jones is a tweener whether people don't want to admit it or not. Like I said, Mayock studies tape relentlessly and he agree's that the 4-3 would be the better fit for Jones. If we draft him to play rush LBer, then I hope he prove's me wrong, but I'm not going to count on him being a stud. 

That 40 time is just awful and I don't know if he just had a really bad day or if he feels entitled, or what it was, but for a LBer his size to run that slow is inexcusable IMO. Charlie Casserly said a LBer his size has never made it in the NFL running that slow of a 40 time.

James Harrison ran a 4.85 40. Sorry, but 1/10 of a second isn't much faster. 4.5-4.6? Sure! But to say a guy "that slow" hasn't made it is ridiculous on Casserly's part. Harrison has been a terror for years and went undrafted only to become one of the top pass rushing OLB'ers in the league on top of DPOY.

Listen, I do not care that he played 3-4 in college. The pro's are a different story and by the way, Mathis is bigger than Jones, not by much but a little none the less. lets' face it, if the Colts weren't in a desperate situation last season with so much roster turnover, Mathis likely wouldn't be here either. He was kept because they wanted a little leadership kept on defense from the old regime.

I get tired of the comparisons to other players anyway. Just because 1 or 2  guys around the same size have had success, don't mean somebody that has never played a snap in the NFL is going to have success. IMO this will more than likely be Mathis' last season with the Colts unless he really shine's playing the weak side.

Plenty of guy's have to change positions in the NFL, because they are tweener's and Jones is a tweener whether people don't want to admit it or not. Like I said, Mayock studies tape relentlessly and he agree's that the 4-3 would be the better fit for Jones. If we draft him to play rush LBer, then I hope he prove's me wrong, but I'm not going to count on him being a stud. 

8 million a year for a guy to give "a little leadership"? haha... OK... I believe the Colts seen a little more in Mathis than just a "leadership" role, but whatever.... I wonder why Mayock has never stepped into a GM role or if he's even been offered one. I mean, you would think with all the film study and effort put into what he does, and the "high regard" he has, he would have teams knocking down his door for his scouting skill set. 

8 million a year for a guy to give "a little leadership"? haha... OK... I believe the Colts seen a little more in Mathis than just a "leadership" role, but whatever.... I wonder why Mayock has never stepped into a GM role or if he's even been offered one. I mean, you would think with all the film study and effort put into what he does, and the "high regard" he has, he would have teams knocking down his door for his scouting skill set. 

They paid him that because that's what the market determined he be paid. They held on to Freeney too for 14 mil. and there was never any intention to bring him back this season. they couldn't just not resign or keep anybody on the roster. They had to figure out who should be kept and contribute in the defense. As for Mayock, who knows? Maybe he never really wanted to be a scout or GM. Corey Chavis is an ex player that is also a draft guru, but has never had any desire to be a scout or GM.

I disagree with that.  He's probably one of the only players they felt would work in Chuck's defense, and he played well.