Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts RBs

Albaby

I've heard Willis McGahee had a similar injury and came back.  

Per Wikipedia:

"In the early part of the fourth quarter during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game, McGahee suffered an injury after catching a screen pass from Dorsey. He was immediately hit by Buckeye safety Will Allen, bending his left kneebackwards and causing tears of the ACLPCL, and MCL. Prior to getting hurt, he had rushed for 67 yards and a touchdown, as Miami would lose the game in double-overtime, 31–24. This injury required several surgeries and extensive rehabilitation before he would be able to play again. At the season's end, McGahee announced he would not collect on a $2.5 million insurance policy he had taken out before the Championship game, and therefore would enter the 2003 NFL Draft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_McGahee

I never seen reported what all Lattimore tore in his knee, but I have read that it was one of the worst knee injuries from a football player. I read that his type of injury usually only happened in high impact car wrecks. I have looked back on his injury and I find it kind of funny that the official details of what all he tore haven't ever been released(at least that I've been able to find), just that it was really really bad and coming back from it would be a miracle of small proportions.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never seen reported what all Lattimore tore in his knee, but I have read that it was one of the worst knee injuries from a football player. I read that his type of injury usually only happened in high impact car wrecks. I have looked back on his injury and I find it kind of funny that the official details of what all he tore haven't ever been released(at least that I've been able to find), just that it was really really bad and coming back from it would be a miracle of small proportions.

I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure the ACL, PCL, and MCL is all there is in the knee, so if you tear all of those then you've torn the whole knee.  And my understanding was that Lattimore did in fact tear all 3 of those ligaments.

But as good of a player as he is, I'd draft him late.  Check with the docs on his knee recovery, if he can't play this year or if it would just be on the safe side to wait til next year, do that put him on IR.  Like we did with Chapman.

And then next year we bring him out into camp and see if he can still do it.  If he can't, then oh well you cut him and you've lost very little.  

No teams suck based on what they did in the 6th and 7th rounds of the draft.  

For the record I doubt Lattimore would fall that low, but I'd take him about where I'd take Mathieu in the 6th or 7th rounds.  I'd take Mathieu before Lattimore though.

I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure the ACL, PCL, and MCL is all there is in the knee, so if you tear all of those then you've torn the whole knee.  And my understanding was that Lattimore did in fact tear all 3 of those ligaments.

But as good of a player as he is, I'd draft him late.  Check with the docs on his knee recovery, if he can't play this year or if it would just be on the safe side to wait til next year, do that put him on IR.  Like we did with Chapman.

And then next year we bring him out into camp and see if he can still do it.  If he can't, then oh well you cut him and you've lost very little.  

No teams suck based on what they did in the 6th and 7th rounds of the draft.  

For the record I doubt Lattimore would fall that low, but I'd take him about where I'd take Mathieu in the 6th or 7th rounds.  I'd take Mathieu before Lattimore though.

I seen that he tore every tendon in his knee and besides ACL, MCL, and PCL, there are also the Meniscus and Pateller. If there are more, I don't know as I am not a doctor either, but it doesn't sound good for Lattimore to ever have a career with an NFL team. Just my opinion. I wouldn't draft a guy that already was behind the 8 ball in his career because of a major injury. If we had more picks to mess with...maybe, but not with only 6.

There's a fourth ligament, the lateral collateral ligament, or LCL. Then there are other tissues and cartilage and junk in there, the kneecap, and so forth. I had torn meniscus, which is the cartilage-like pad in the knee that basically buffers impact.

From what I read, Lattimore tore three of the four ligaments, I don't remember which. And there was an early report that he fractured his femur as well, but the school refuted that report. Either way, it was a pretty drastic injury, and there's been a lot of doubt that he'll ever be able to perform at a high level again.

There's a fourth ligament, the lateral collateral ligament, or LCL. Then there are other tissues and cartilage and junk in there, the kneecap, and so forth. I had torn meniscus, which is the cartilage-like pad in the knee that basically buffers impact.

From what I read, Lattimore tore three of the four ligaments, I don't remember which. And there was an early report that he fractured his femur as well, but the school refuted that report. Either way, it was a pretty drastic injury, and there's been a lot of doubt that he'll ever be able to perform at a high level again.

True, but like I said, the dude uninjured is probably a 1st round level RB.  2nd round at worst . . . Even if the odds are 4 to 1 against him being able to perform like that again, in the 6th round or 7th round I like those odds.  

Certainly don't like them in the first, 2nd or 3rd rounds. . . Iffy on the 4th round as well.  But 6th and 7th round picks are IMO practically worthless anyways.  

I mean what are the odds a 7th round pick makes the team and contributes in a meaningful way unless he's a kicker or a punter?    Less then 4 to 1 I'd say.  

I like our RB group, it really came together last year after Ballard got his first start. Ballard and Brown are the 1,2 punch we def. needed and Carter i think should be used more on 3rd and inches plays and help on Goal line running plays. i mean adding one more RB wouldn't hurt but i like our group especially now that we acquired a full time FB, expect a 1,000 yard rusher in 2013. 

I'll take that bet. Luck won't hand off enough for any running back to gain 1000 yards... Luck is what he is and that is a volume chucker. He isn't going to change one bit..... :dancing:

I'll take that bet. Luck won't hand off enough for any running back to gain 1000 yards... Luck is what he is and that is a volume chucker. He isn't going to change one bit..... :dancing:

I'm going under the assumption that you're a troll now. This thread had nothing what so ever to do with Luck yet you somehow managed find a way to criticize him.  :dancing:

I'm going under the assumption that you're a troll now. This thread had nothing what so ever to do with Luck yet you somehow managed find a way to criticize him. Reported.  :dancing:

I was responding to a poster who said that we would have a 1000 yard running back this year. I don't think having a QB like Luck will let that happen. That is just my opinion and fee free to report whatever you like. Can I report the fact that you called me a name like "troll"? If you do not like my comments, put me on ignore. That doesn't mean that I should not be allowed to make them. I am not an Andrew Luck fan for lots of reasons that I have already stated. The Colts are and will always be a passing team.... :dancing:

I was responding to a poster who said that we would have a 1000 yard running back this year. I don't think having a QB like Luck will let that happen. That is just my opinion and fee free to report whatever you like. Can I report the fact that you called me a name like "troll"? If you do not like my comments, put me on ignore. That doesn't mean that I should not be allowed to make them. I am not an Andrew Luck fan for lots of reasons that I have already stated. The Colts are and will always be a passing team.... :dancing:

Ballard would have went over 1,000 yards had he started every game last season. Moving to a more run heavy offense (assuming he carries the load) he'll definetely be able to go over 1,000 yards. Your reasoning makes no sense. We had multiple 1,000 yard rushers under Peyton when we were a "pass first" team.  :dancing:

True, but like I said, the dude uninjured is probably a 1st round level RB.  2nd round at worst . . . Even if the odds are 4 to 1 against him being able to perform like that again, in the 6th round or 7th round I like those odds.  

Certainly don't like them in the first, 2nd or 3rd rounds. . . Iffy on the 4th round as well.  But 6th and 7th round picks are IMO practically worthless anyways.  

I mean what are the odds a 7th round pick makes the team and contributes in a meaningful way unless he's a kicker or a punter?    Less then 4 to 1 I'd say.  

I wasn't really commenting on whether I'd want Lattimore or not. Just saying that his injury was pretty gruesome.

But in my opinion, I'd rather draft someone that has a chance to play this year. I know Lattimore, if healthy, can be a pretty valuable weapon to have, but that's true of a lot of running backs all up and down the draft. And then there's always the chance of finding a guy like Alfred Morris in the later rounds, which happens more and more, especially with running backs.

For a rare talent at a crucial position, I'd be all for drafting a guy even if I didn't think he could play right away. That's what we did with Josh Chapman last year, but he's a nose tackle with early round talent. Those don't grow on trees. For a physical specimen at wide receiver, I'd do a "snatch and stash." (Copyright pending ;)) But not at running back.

And that's really independent of the concern that Lattimore might never be able to play at a high level again. It could be a routine knee injury that he's still not recovered from, and I'd cross him off my draft board. The fact that Lattimore pretty much shredded his knee just makes it worse. I'd be hesitant to draft that guy a year from now.

Ballard would have went over 1,000 yards had he started every game last season. Moving to a more run heavy offense (assuming he carries the load) he'll definetely be able to go over 1,000 yards. Your reasoning makes no sense. We had multiple 1,000 yard rushers under Peyton when we were a "pass first" team.  :dancing:

Peyton has always embraced a running game. His completion percentage was high enough that he didn't need as many attempts to produce yardage. None of this is true of Luck and I don't think it ever will be...... :dancing:

Im happy with Ballard, Brown and Carter. And I think we can win them.  With that said Im excited about Pep's offense which will empoly a power running scheme which is great on so many levels! like clock control for one also Luck is protected doesnt have the ball. The thing is I dont think any of our RB's instill any type of fear in opposing defenses, So I would love to have a Premier back in the backfield that  other teams will need to game plan for..I would not be mad if we used an early pick on Eddie Lacy or Monte Ball...not at all.

considering Ballard almost had a 1,000 yards last season in just 12 games that he started...AND this new OC we have is a run heavy coach who loves the play action, I would say Ballard (if he stays healthy) will push over 1,000 yards in 2013. 

Peyton has always embraced a running game. His completion percentage was high enough that he didn't need as many attempts to produce yardage. None of this is true of Luck and I don't think it ever will be...... :dancing:

I'm going to go ahead and indulge for a bit here.

Do you know what Manning's completion percentage was in his rookie year? Do you know how many times he turned the ball over? Do you realize that the 2012 Colts ran the ball more and for more yardage than the 1998 Colts?

You are comparing a polished and experienced quarterback to a rookie, and it's senseless. And that's before you acknowledge that the experienced quarterback is one of the absolute best of all time.

How Luck's completion percentage and turnovers relate to how much the Colts run the ball is unknown at this point. But I would assume that if Luck struggles to improve his completion percentage and take care of the ball, that the coaching staff will allow him less freedom in the passing game, resulting in the team running the ball even more. Unless you're suggesting that Luck is going to determine how much we run the ball, and that's just ludicrous.

Anywho, so I'm thinking that our 2nd RB isn't on the roster at this moment. My candidates for it are:

La'veon Bell (MSU)

RB from Pitt that we interviewed at the Shrine Game

Lattimore (7th round pick. Only put him up here cause people seem so high on him)

Stephon Taylor (Stanford connection)

Randle (OSU)

Am I missing anyone? Be realistic when picking a RB we could grab

Anywho, so I'm thinking that our 2nd RB isn't on the roster at this moment. My candidates for it are:

La'veon Bell (MSU)

RB from Pitt that we interviewed at the Shrine Game

Lattimore (7th round pick. Only put him up here cause people seem so high on him)

Stephon Taylor (Stanford connection)

Randle (OSU)

Am I missing anyone? Be realistic when picking a RB we could grab

Personally, If I were to pick a RB from that list, it's be Taylor. He's arguably the most well rounded RB in the draft. Great blocker and catching out of the backfield. Just the type of RB we need.

Personally, If I were to pick a RB from that list, it's be Taylor. He's arguably the most well rounded RB in the draft. Great blocker and catching out of the backfield. Just the type of RB we need.

Yeah, I prefer him or Randle. We got our power back in Ballard, need that quick feet RB now

I seen that he tore every tendon in his knee and besides ACL, MCL, and PCL, there are also the Meniscus and Pateller. If there are more, I don't know as I am not a doctor either, but it doesn't sound good for Lattimore to ever have a career with an NFL team. Just my opinion. I wouldn't draft a guy that already was behind the 8 ball in his career because of a major injury. If we had more picks to mess with...maybe, but not with only 6.

IMO he wont probably be drafted,most wont take the risk,however if they don't by all means invite him in as a FA,if anyone can come back think it would be him,but that's a really big if

IMO he wont probably be drafted,most wont take the risk,however if they don't by all means invite him in as a FA,if anyone can come back think it would be him,but that's a really big if

He's going to the Redskins. I can easily see Shannahan making that move

Ballard and Havili are Grigsons boys while Brown and Carter aren't. I think that matters because Grigson considers himself an evaluator first and foremost. I think he believes he can find better replacements and rather easily because that is what he has been doing since he got here.

There's no reason to get rid of Brown....    he's got one more year at an affordable number....   and he can contribute as a quality secondary back...

But I'd spend a late round pick on a RB.....

The strength of the draft is defense,  which means some very good offensive players will slip to later rounds...

We're likely to find a decent RB late in the draft....

Boy,  this thread took a weird sideways turn for a bit....    Wow, that was strange...

Judging from your posts you know nothing about football. Andrew Luck is a volume chucker? You think he chose that? Do you assume he got to Indianapolis, shut the coaches up and said "I'm chucking the ball no matter what you say"? I won't explain reasons to you why Indy ran the offense through Andrew the way they did because it won't get through your thick skull.You shouldn't be allowed to speak a word based on your previous posts less say anything about Andrew Luck's game. It's disrespectful and inaccurate. Then comes the most important point, he's in the NFL. You are not. 

I feel comfortable with out RBs. The only position I feel more comfortable with is QB. And then ILB comes behind it in 3rd. I think Ballard is a work house back, and he can definitely take most the carries in a game if we need him to. I also like Brown when he's healthy. He had injuries issues, but if he can keep it together I'd love to see him roll again, he shredded the Titans last season, and with more passing to RBs being a possibility I'd love to have Brown's great open-space skills. And lastly Carter whom despite still not fully having his fumbling issues fixed, continued to show he can be that short yardage guy. So do I think we need another running back? it wouldn't hurt, but I'd want no earlier than the 4th round. Maybe we can pick up Stepfan Taylor and reunite him with Pep Hamilton? 

There's no reason to get rid of Brown.... he's got one more year at an affordable number.... and he can contribute as a quality secondary back...

The strength of the draft is defense, which means some very good offensive players will slip to later rounds...

Boy, this thread took a weird sideways turn for a bit.... Wow, that was strange...

Affordable? Sure. At this point tho he's a "do I really want him", rather than "do I really need him"

There's no reason to get rid of Brown....    he's got one more year at an affordable number....   and he can contribute as a quality secondary back...

The strength of the draft is defense,  which means some very good offensive players will slip to later rounds...

Boy,  this thread took a weird sideways turn for a bit....    Wow, that was strange...

Ehem, affordable number???  A backup running back earning 2.72 million in one season is not an affordable number.  These types of contracts are usually dropped by most GMs unless the guy is producing as a starter.

Unless Brown is a sure fire thing to give us 1000 yards this season, 2.72 million is a far cry from affordable.  I dunno about the teams plans with Brown, but I suspect we'll see a heavy dose of Ballard.

All that said, I would not in the least be surprised to see Brown cut or traded (if there is a suitor) prior to the start of the 2013 season.  I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him, though I just don't see it as a good option when he is the #2 at best on this team.

I could see the team drafting a new #2 in later rounds this year (ala just like they did with Ballard) and letting Brown walk.

Judging from your posts you know nothing about football. Andrew Luck is a volume chucker? You think he chose that? Do you assume he got to Indianapolis, shut the coaches up and said "I'm chucking the ball no matter what you say"? I won't explain reasons to you why Indy ran the offense through Andrew the way they did because it won't get through your thick skull.You shouldn't be allowed to speak a word based on your previous posts less say anything about Andrew Luck's game. It's disrespectful and inaccurate. Then comes the most important point, he's in the NFL. You are not. 

What does being in the NFL have to do with anything? Are you in the NFL. These are opinions and nothing more. However, I will give you that I could have said that the coaching staff has made him a volume chucker. Perhaps that would have been more accurate. I am accurate about Luck. Just look at the stats. They do not lie...... :dancing:

Didn't Brown run behind a fullback in college when he was lighting it up? If anyone is going to gain off the addition of Havili, it'll be him.

I can't wait to see us actually throwing to a back out of the backfield!!

Yes, UCONN runs a pro style

Ballard comes from the spread at Miss. St so he's use to not having a FB. So now us having a FB will either hurt him or make him 10x better

Affordable? Sure. At this point tho he's a "do I really want him", rather than "do I really need him"

When healthy, I think the Colts absolutely want him....  seriously....    that type of speed just can't be replaced all that easily....

I see little harm in keeping him one more year to see how he fits the new offense....    Ballard is the starter,  but Brown is the complimentary #2...     I like them both...

(and I'd like a late round pick for some needed depth...)