Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts RBs

Albaby

Ehem, affordable number???  A backup running back earning 2.72 million in one season is not an affordable number.  These types of contracts are usually dropped by most GMs unless the guy is producing as a starter.

Unless Brown is a sure fire thing to give us 1000 yards this season, 2.72 million is a far cry from affordable.  I dunno about the teams plans with Brown, but I suspect we'll see a heavy dose of Ballard.

All that said, I would not in the least be surprised to see Brown cut or traded (if there is a suitor) prior to the start of the 2013 season.  I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him, though I just don't see it as a good option when he is the #2 at best on this team.

I could see the team drafting a new #2 in later rounds this year (ala just like they did with Ballard) and letting Brown walk.

Well...   I think you're mostly right....   of that 2.72 Million,  1.02 is already committed...  it's Dead Cap money if we cut Brown.

His base salary is a much more affordable $1.7 Mill. 

Brown is not a back-up in the sense that he only plays if the starter goes down.    He's a complimentary piece.   He should factor in to every game-plan as a key piece.   I'm willing to keep him on for one more year to see if he's a good fit in Pep's new offense.

It's just not easy to find and replace that kind of speed and elusiveness.

Brown's only issue (to me, at least)  is his inability to stay healthy....    But I think he's got enough talent to stay...

All that said....     I would not be surprised to find out that the team asks Brown to 'restructure' his deal and take a somewhat smaller contract...    just a hunch...    but not a big deal to me either way....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehem, affordable number???  A backup running back earning 2.72 million in one season is not an affordable number.  These types of contracts are usually dropped by most GMs unless the guy is producing as a starter.

Unless Brown is a sure fire thing to give us 1000 yards this season, 2.72 million is a far cry from affordable.  I dunno about the teams plans with Brown, but I suspect we'll see a heavy dose of Ballard.

All that said, I would not in the least be surprised to see Brown cut or traded (if there is a suitor) prior to the start of the 2013 season.  I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him, though I just don't see it as a good option when he is the #2 at best on this team.

I could see the team drafting a new #2 in later rounds this year (ala just like they did with Ballard) and letting Brown walk.

His cap number is 2.2% of the cap in 2013. Releasing him triggers a $1.4m cap penalty, which is 1.1% of the cap. The money is not an issue. If they feel he is an option to produce, he'll be on the roster during camp. And if he performs in preseason, he'll make the final roster. He's not going to keep them from drafting a running back by any means, but I'm pretty sure they're not itching to get rid of him. They shouldn't be. He can be a weapon, even if he's not a load carrying back.

Brown has started in nearly 80% of his games. Let's assume that for the games he didn't start or didn't finish cancel themselves out. 80% is hardly 'always injured'.....

If our O-line gets remotely decent, who knows what his numbers will be. Although I suspect the refs will flag him if he breaks off any long yardage, as it is scientific fact that these don't count......

Brown has started in nearly 80% of his games. Let's assume that for the games he didn't start or didn't finish cancel themselves out. 80% is hardly 'always injured'.....

If our O-line gets remotely decent, who knows what his numbers will be. Although I suspect the refs will flag him if he breaks off any long yardage, as it is scientific fact that these don't count......

Still bitter... :lol:

Whoa whoa, you like brown? He's part of the 1-2 punch? The dude has no vision at all. He gets a few good runs here and there but other than that he doesn't get anywhere. Those random big runs is what bumps up his ypc. He had 1 td and 3.9 ypc. Had 2 games of 80 yards, 7 games under 50 and 3 were 26 or below. That article someone posted gave him the nickname "GD Donald" Brown for a reason. He's mildly fast in the open but is slow to turn and make cuts. He blindly runs straight into plugged gaps when he could have bounced out for some yardage numerous times. The dude is garbage. He's been around 4 years and only 1 above 500 year. There's no defending him. I was a staunch supporter of his but after last year I'm fine to cut and replace him.

I've been trying to say the same thing about brown having no vision and running into plugged gaps , but most people on here act like I'm crazy...Finally someone sees what I see, he might as well be running blind..Sad thing is we'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him and would take to big a cap hit if we just cut him....

Well...   I think you're mostly right....   of that 2.72 Million,  1.02 is already committed...  it's Dead Cap money if we cut Brown.

Brown is not a back-up in the sense that he only plays if the starter goes down.    He's a complimentary piece.   He should factor in to every game-plan as a key piece.   I'm willing to keep him on for one more year to see if he's a good fit in Pep's new offense.

Brown's only issue (to me, at least)  is his inability to stay healthy....    But I think he's got enough talent to stay...

All that said....     I would not be surprised to find out that the team asks Brown to 'restructure' his deal and take a somewhat smaller contract...    just a hunch...    but not a big deal to me either way....

Speed and elusiveness doesn't do you any good if you have No vision and run into plugged holes, he missed a lot of holes and opportunities for big plays last year alone...

Speed and elusiveness doesn't do you any good if you have No vision and run into plugged holes, he missed a lot of holes and opportunities for big plays last year alone...

I don't know why you think he missed a lot of wholes?     What holes?    That was the worst run blocking line in the league.   And until Ballard started figuring out the NFL,  (roughly halfway through the season)  Brown had the vast majority of the teams 10+ yard runs...

I think this idea that Brown missed a lot of wholes is poppycock....    that O-line couldn't block my momma....  and she's been dead for more than 20 years....   

Brown should have a lot of success in Pep's offense, not so much running the ball but catching out of the backfield. I think this offense will lend it self to RB screens and passes out in the flat. I think that Brown would accel at these types of plays, like Luck's first TD pass.

I've been trying to say the same thing about brown having no vision and running into plugged gaps , but most people on here act like I'm crazy...Finally someone sees what I see, he might as well be running blind..Sad thing is we'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him and would take to big a cap hit if we just cut him....

Only 1.1 mil

Power running game and DB do not belong in the same sentence.

Im happy with Ballard, Brown and Carter. And I think we can win them.  With that said Im excited about Pep's offense which will empoly a power running scheme which is great on so many levels! like clock control for one also Luck is protected doesnt have the ball. The thing is I dont think any of our RB's instill any type of fear in opposing defenses, So I would love to have a Premier back in the backfield that  other teams will need to game plan for..I would not be mad if we used an early pick on Eddie Lacy or Monte Ball...not at all.

You have to catch the ball to be able to make plays.............DB does not catch the ball well. 

Brown should have a lot of success in Pep's offense, not so much running the ball but catching out of the backfield. I think this offense will lend it self to RB screens and passes out in the flat. I think that Brown would accel at these types of plays, like Luck's first TD pass.

When healthy, I think the Colts absolutely want him....  seriously....    that type of speed just can't be replaced all that easily....

I see little harm in keeping him one more year to see how he fits the new offense....    Ballard is the starter,  but Brown is the complimentary #2...     I like them both...

(and I'd like a late round pick for some needed depth...)

What?  First of all, he doesn't have world class speed.  If I'm wrong, please show me his 40 time.  Second of all, speed is the absolute easiest thing to replace.  Heck, Karim is faster than Brown and he's a UFA that we grabbed for next to nothing.  Speed means nothing unless you have Reggie Bush moves to go with it and even Reggie has trouble making it in the NFL.  In this league, you have to be good every year or you will get cut regardless if you have 1 year left on your contract.  Grigson has shown he is always upgrading so DB should not be comfortable at all.

How about we trade Donald Brown to your favorite soccer club and we'll all be happy.  Colts fans don't have to ever see him again and you can watch him avoid contact and fake his injuries in a sport where that is celebrated.  Relax, I'm kidding :)

What?  First of all, he doesn't have world class speed.  If I'm wrong, please show me his 40 time.  Second of all, speed is the absolute easiest thing to replace.  Heck, Karim is faster than Brown and he's a UFA that we grabbed for next to nothing.  Speed means nothing unless you have Reggie Bush moves to go with it and even Reggie has trouble making it in the NFL.  In this league, you have to be good every year or you will get cut regardless if you have 1 year left on your contract.  Grigson has shown he is always upgrading so DB should not be comfortable at all.

Well......   we're going to agree to disagree....   There's barely a sentence there I'm comfortable with.....   I won't waste your time sharing my view....

The only sentence I can agree with is the last one....    and I agree that Brown shouldn't be comfortable at all....   but I think he's good enough to be a good complimentary piece of the Colts puzzle....     

I still think we can spend a late round pick on another back....   but that would be to go with Ballard/Brown/Carter,  not to replace one...

Just my view of things...

I don't know why you think he missed a lot of wholes?     What holes?    That was the worst run blocking line in the league.   And until Ballard started figuring out the NFL,  (roughly halfway through the season)  Brown had the vast majority of the teams 10+ yard runs...

I think this idea that Brown missed a lot of wholes is poppycock....    that O-line couldn't block my momma....  and she's been dead for more than 20 years....   

For every 10+ yard run he made he missed 3, I know what I saw and I haven't missed a minute of any Colts game the past 20 years, and lets not even get into the lack of power...At least Ballard falls forward and fights for extra yards...Brown falls down if you breath on him to hard and he gets injured every year...He was a first round pick and has been here 4 years and I think he might have 1 year where he ran for more than 500 yards in a season?? Thats an average of less than 50 yds a game over a 4 year period??? The project needs to end..All this talk about finding great backs in later rounds is nonsense too...Ballard is the exception, for every Ballard there are the Hart's, Carters, Chad Simpson's, Ran Carthon's, James Mungro's etc, etc etc...Alfred Morris and Arian Foster are more a product of great lines than immensely talented running backs... 1ST ROUND RUNNING BACKS LAST 10 YEARS: JAMAL LEWIS, SHAUN ALEXANDER,LADANIAN TOMLINSON, DEUCE McALLISTER, WILLIS McGAHEE, LARRY JOHNSON, STEVEN JACKSON, RONNIE BROWN, CEDRIC BENSON, CARNELL WILLIAMS, REGGIE BUSH, JOSEPH ADDAI, ADRIAN PETERSON, MARSHAWN LYNCH, DARREN McFADDEN, FELIX JONES,KNOWSHON MORENO, "donald brown", C.J. SPILLER, RYAN MATHEWS....Many have had good or great success and the hit rate is very high...I'm not saying to take a legit running back high and the only 1 in this draft that is a can't miss is Eddie Lacy and I wouldn't be sad if we take him if he is our BPA assuming Cooper, Datone Jones, Jarvis Jones, Mingo, Hunt, and Tayvon Austin is off the board....People are jaded from the Donald Brown pick and it's understandable , but if you can get a 1500 yd back you do it IMO, there is a big difference between Ballard who I think is good and could be a 1,000 -1,200 yd back and an Eddie Lacy who is a 1,500 to 1,800 yd back and a game changer...Imagine taking Lacy and trading up and taking Warford at guard in the second....We would be very intimidating with that line and Lacy and Ballard 1-2 punch to go along with Luck and our receivers and TE's...

Brown's biggest issue is that he can't block your mama..... He is terrible at protecting the passer..... :dancing:

How about we trade Donald Brown to your favorite soccer club and we'll all be happy.  Colts fans don't have to ever see him again and you can watch him avoid contact and fake his injuries in a sport where that is celebrated.  Relax, I'm kidding :)

Kidding perhaps, no sweat, but your stereotyping is disappointing. I shoved soccer way down my list when the game became more about cheating (faking injuries as you say) and haranging the referree's. Played well and fairly, it's a great game still, but that rarely happens.

Or maybe you've missed all Brown's good runs because you were so busy stuffing your face with donuts......Relax, I'm kidding!

• 2 weeks later...

What are you talking about?  I made it very clear that DB is not my choice as our RB.  Do you not understand the words coming out of my mouth? 

You anserwed your own question over a week ago right?,,DB is how you say donald brown,  not defensive back like most people. we ended that like five post up right?   why bringing up old %?