Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading 2014 1st for 2013 2nd

IndyColtScout

Would you do it? Lets say we don't get a WR for some reason at #24.

Would you give up that 2014 1st to hop back into the top 10 of round 2 & secure a playmaker?

I'm curious to how people feel after what happened w/ Ugoh.

It all depends on how that first round shakes out, but me personally if I knew we were adding 2 starters/impact players I wouldn't hesitate. I think this team is real close & I feel we should be aggressive while we have Luck on his rookie deal.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you assuming we will have a mid 1st rounder? #24 is not a mid first rounder & all expectations are we will improve, meaning our 2014 first will be after pick 24.

And again it depends on how the 2013 first shakes out. Maybe a really good WR will still be there top of the 2nd assuming that isn't the position WR draft at #24.

No.     Under no circumstances would I do it.

And I'd be stunned if Grigson would do this.....    

Irsay himself has tweeted that we're going to Build the Monster the right way....  and he added "no shortcuts!"

Well...     there's no shortcut shorter than trading a #1 next year for a #2 this year.

Sorry....   the Colts are very much improved from 2011....   but we're not one missing piece away...  

That's a 100% 'no'....

Why are you assuming we will have a mid 1st rounder? #24 is not a mid first rounder & all expectations are we will improve, meaning our 2014 first will be after pick 24.

And again it depends on how the 2013 first shakes out. Maybe a really good WR will still be there top of the 2nd assuming that isn't the position WR draft at #24.

We could and should improve....   however that does not mean we'll have a better record.   We won 7 games last year in the final moments....  you can't expect that kind of consistent comeback every time....     The 'magic' we had last year is virtually impossible to keep going on a year to year basis.  

We also lost an experienced offensive coordinator for someone who has never been a coordinator on the NFL level and was only a coordinator on the college level for two years.   That's a lot to overcome.

Plus,  we should expect our opponents to be better as well....

We could be a better team and finish 10-6.    That's quite possible.    There are lots of moving pieces in a season....   and sometimes strange things happen....

I think its something the colts should really consider! We can get that WR in the first, in second round we can get that pass rusher you guys are dying to have (or vice versa). 3rd round I would like andre ellington (chuck always preaches RUN THE BALL and stop the run) vick ballrd and andre would hurt defenses! if hes not there then we go to online in the third (OG). 4th we can get the best corner available. (no 5th) then 6th could be a fullback while 7th could be a center.

We could and should improve....   however that does not mean we'll have a better record.   We won 7 games last year in the final moments....  you can't expect that kind of consistent comeback every time....     The 'magic' we had last year is virtually impossible to keep going on a year to year basis.  

We also lost an experienced offensive coordinator for someone who has never been a coordinator on the NFL level and was only a coordinator on the college level for two years.   That's a lot to overcome.

Plus,  we should expect our opponents to be better as well....

We could be a better team and finish 10-6.    That's quite possible.    There are lots of moving pieces in a season....   and sometimes strange things happen....

What, do you mean the 'magic' we had for virtually all of the 21st century?........yes, very hard to keep it going. I agree being an improved team is no guarantee of an improved record, although if we have really made the squad better, I'd suggest we won't need as many of the grand comebacks that we produced last season.

I dont see much benefit to trading a 2014 1st round pick (even it it's at 24 again) to pick in the 2nd round of 2013 (even if it's it a top 10 2nd round pick).

You're dropping likely 20 spots in the draft....and not getting anything in return.

Would you give up that 2014 1st to hop back into the top 10 of round 2 & secure a playmaker?

It all depends on how that first round shakes out, but me personally if I knew we were adding 2 starters/impact players I wouldn't hesitate. I think this team is real close & I feel we should be aggressive while we have Luck on his rookie deal.

Those saying no way are , IMO , are being a bit short - sighted. If the Colts think this is a strong draft and a player is sitting at around 2.8 and he falls in the 20's on our board , you have to at least consider it. The risk would be if we had a bad 2013 and next year's pick was a top 10 pick. But I think if it's a player they really like at a position of need , it would be smart to consider it. 

Btw.. Tony Ugoh has nothing to do with this. Blame Chris Polian , not poor draft stategy.

What, do you mean the 'magic' we had for virtually all of the 21st century?........yes, very hard to keep it going. I agree being an improved team is no guarantee of an improved record, although if we have really made the squad better, I'd suggest we won't need as many of the grand comebacks that we produced last season.

Different kind of magic.....

We had 7 'magical' finishes last year.    Did you have a single season like that during Manning's run??    Not that I'm aware of....

Those great seasons were with teams that had a much better roster from top to bottom than last year's team....    We played out of our minds last year with the Pagano/Arians story.  

The loss of the experienced Arians,  the gain of the inexperienced Hamilton...

Lots and lots of moving pieces here....   re-caputuring that type of magic is next to impossible.... 

I'm not saying we won't be good,  or won't make the playoffs.    Just that the team will be different.   And that we could be a better team and still not win 11 games.

I'm not looking for a fight here....    just offering a different perspective....    that's all...

Different kind of magic.....

We had 7 'magical' finishes last year.    Did you have a single season like that during Manning's run??    Not that I'm aware of....

Those great seasons were with teams that had a much better roster from top to bottom than last year's team....    We played out of our minds last year with the Pagano/Arians story.  

The loss of the experienced Arians,  the gain of the inexperienced Hamilton...

Lots and lots of moving pieces here....   re-caputuring that type of magic is next to impossible.... 

I'm not saying we won't be good,  or won't make the playoffs.    Just that the team will be different.   And that we could be a better team and still not win 11 games.

I'm not looking for a fight here....    just offering a different perspective....    that's all...

The 2009 Colts team pulled many games out of their a**. Seriously, that team had no business going 14-2...they could have easily been 9-7. I was always concerned that it would catch up with them, and it did.

It is a calculated risk.  I trust Grigson and Pagano to make those kind of decisions. If they feel strongly that the player is a 'blue chipper' as Grigson calls them then I have no problem with it...like trading the 2013 2nd rounder for Vontae Davis, Pagano feels strongly that Davis is better than any CB they could get in their 2nd round this year.

Those saying no way are , IMO , are being a bit short - sighted. If the Colts think this is a strong draft and a player is sitting at around 2.8 and he falls in the 20's on our board , you have to at least consider it. The risk would be if we had a bad 2013 and next year's pick was a top 10 pick. But I think if it's a player they really like at a position of need , it would be smart to consider it. 

Btw.. Tony Ugoh has nothing to do with this. Blame Chris Polian , not poor draft stategy.

I think trading a future 1st round pick for a pick that holds less value but may fill a need quicker is far more short sighted. If there is someone they feel they absolutely need in the second round I would rather them deal some lower round picks, maybe even a 2014 2nd if they have too. NFL seasons are far too unpredictable to waste 1st round picks.

What if we had done this the year before Peyton got hurt in hopes of surrounding him with enough talent to win another championship? We'd still be kicking ourselves.

Right,  Manning brought this team back from more sure loses than I care to remember.    Post 2006-7 Manning carried the INDY Colts.   

We seen what happened when he eventually went down.   Last seasons team as a "whole" was as good as any Indy has had since 2008 iMO.      The Colts had several "magical" seasons with Manning...   

Hopefully Grigs puts a good enough team around his QB that he won't have to depend on magic for wins.   Or a ill coach.

The 2009 Colts team pulled many games out of their a**. Seriously, that team had no business going 14-2...they could have easily been 9-7. I was always concerned that it would catch up with them, and it did.

front office would make the right call.  guess it depends on the situation.  we've taken plenty of players whoend upbeing average players in the first round.  just because their first round doesn't mean they'll live up to that potential. depending on who we're talking about and the situation hell yes i'd do it.

As far as giving up a first to move into the middle of the second.....    teams do it all of the time.       it is risky but if a team wants a player I say go get em.         I mean nearly half you first rounds won't work out anyway.     I Indy sees a DE or an OLB and finds a team willing to play ball then go for it.  

From what I can tell about stuff that has been written about this draft class this isn't the best draft class in the world and the areas it's deep at are areas we need help so I see no need to trade next year's first for a second this year because odds are we can still get a player to help us in a later round to help us other than maybe WR but I still expect the Colts to do something in free agency to address that need. 

I would not trade next year's 1st round for this year's 2nd round.  I would trade down and get extra picks for this year and maybe next year.

We need to stop trading the future for average players.

Now that is something I could see us doing.  The only area I see us going into this draft right now maybe looking for a starter at is a number two WR and I expect us to address that in free agency so unless there is a guy there the Colts just feel like is going to be a super star in the future I could see the Colts moving back to get more picks if someone is willing to trade up to their spot.

Now that is something I could see us doing.  The only area I see us going into this draft right now maybe looking for a starter at is a number two WR and I expect us to address that in free agency so unless there is a guy there the Colts just feel like is going to be a super star in the future I could see the Colts moving back to get more picks if someone is willing to trade up to their spot.

We still could use another starting Guard like Larry Warford in the 2nd.

We still could use another starting Guard like Larry Warford in the 2nd.

I could see up grading a guard in the draft but I kinda expect the Colts other starter at guard to come from someone already on the roster.  I just don't think fans like that idea very much.  I am not going to be shocked or upset if we draft a guard high but I am not going to be shocked if we don't either.

There isn't a single reciever in this draft i would take in the first round... This draft is heavy defensive line and offensive line

No... I don't see the logic, but if we found the right team to trade with, it might not be as bad as it originally seems... My hope is that next year's 1st is going to be a very low one... trading for a very high 2nd would only be moving a couple slots... I just don't see who the player is that we are going to give up next year's 1st for.... Everybody says this every year, but next year's draft is going to be loaded at the top compared to this one, which will add value to that 1st round pick...

I'd be more on board with a scenario where we trade down this year into the 2nd round and pick up an extra 3rd rounder.. then trade up (like our 6th and two 7ths) for another fourth... this gives us five picks in rounds 2-4, which seems to be where the strength of this draft lies... There is no way to know what will happen until draft day, but I think Grigs's scouting skills are especially sharp when it comes to college prospects and having 5 picks in rounds 2-4 gives him enough ammo to do some serious damage....