Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Era vs Manning Era

Dark Superman

This is what I concede. Luck will not lose 11 playoff games. Luck will not have eight one and done in the playoffs. Luck will not be in the top 10 all time for pick sixes in the regular season and post-season. Luck will have more than one fourth quarter comeback or GWD in the post-season. Luck will never score only 3 points in any two post-season games. Luck will never lose a playoff game to the likes of a Billy Volek.

Luck has a chance to get to Brady's level if he stays healthy and the Colts org continues to be smart.

Do you have to ask if I believe Brady is infinitely better than Peyton? lol.

Luck will likely never play in 11 playoff game but is is 0-1 rihgt now. If he Luck has a long career he may set a record for interceptions and pick sixes unless he improves that area of his game greatly. He still underthrows receivers. Luck could lose a playoff game to someone even less highly regarded that Billy Volek. Luck has proven nothing yet except that he led the NFL in turnovers and has a horrible completion percentage and was rated as the worst or next worst starting QB by QB rating..... We have a long way to go with Luck and it will be a long haul in my opinion. That isn't Peyton Manning or even a shadow Manning back there now.....

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to feel sorry for Peyton with his gazillion $.     But, the public p---ing contest between Irsay and Manning was not one of the Colts' finest moments.

What more do you think Peyton deserved besides $20M for not playing in 2011, another $20M for a typical playoff choke in Denver in 2012?     Please, Please - mistreat me like that!  :)   

No one deserve's 20 mill for sitting on their butt. Ok he walked around on the sideline you get a little. But then again in my book

no one should get 20 mill a year for playing a game. And for one game, that's sick!!! No matter who it is.

No one deserve's 20 mill for sitting on their butt. Ok he walked around on the sideline you get a little. But then again in my book

no one should get 20 mill a year for playing a game. And for one game, that's sick!!! No matter who it is.

he would have made more if he didn't turn it down. Irsay was willing to pay more.. btw, Manning made irsay ALOT more money than irsay paid him

Exactly.....this thread is as hopelessly QB-centric as the Colts were during the Manning Era. And boy oh boy am I getting sick of that word "Era".

One season of assessing the Colts TEAM approach where Andrew Luck happens to be the QB is not enough to compare much of anything...but I like what I see and hear so far in this rebuild.

The Manning Era....for all its regular-season glory....fell short because of over-emphasis on the QB position and a stubbornly dogmatic pass-first mentality. All to the detriment of the roster at large by the front office, the coaching staff and, yes....Peyton Manning himself.

I don't WANT an Andrew Luck "era"....I want a 53-man football team that doesn't get repeatedly shown the door because they're chronically SOFT against physical playoff opposition.

And I couldn't care less about regular season accolades either.

well said.

I've been waiting since Edge for a running game. Loved Ballard last year and love the acquisition at Guard this year. Lets see.

I actually have nothing against Brady - please show me where I trashed Tom.  Just being honest about my view of Gisele.  Yes, Bridget more attractive.

It was a joke not directly at you. if you read the other posts on the thread you will make the connection. Yes, bridget def. a 10.

Luck will likely never play in 11 playoff game but is is 0-1 rihgt now. If he Luck has a long career he may set a record for interceptions and pick sixes unless he improves that area of his game greatly. He still underthrows receivers. Luck could lose a playoff game to someone even less highly regarded that Billy Volek. Luck has proven nothing yet except that he led the NFL in turnovers and has a horrible completion percentage and was rated as the worst or next worst starting QB by QB rating..... We have a long way to go with Luck and it will be a long haul in my opinion. That isn't Peyton Manning or even a shadow Manning back there now.....

While I certainly respect your opinion, I am wondering if we watched the same QB. This is the thing. Name any QB in the history of football that walked into the situation he did - org completely blown up, new GM, new coaches, team blown up, rookies everywhere, a fanbase still smarting from losing their HoF QB in an ugly battle of he said, he said over twitter and an owner who quite frankly seemed like he had lost it. Add on top of all this losing your HC in the first game of the season for the whole season until week 17. No rookie QB was ever asked to do what Luck did, carry a 2-14 team that most expected to win about 2 games to 11 wins and the playoffs. I am willing to look at the picks as indicative of a rookie still adjusting to the speed and scheme of the game, but moreso of a rookie that literally had the world and then some on his shoulders and proved to everyone that he was every bit the pick the draft guys said he was.

And I didn't even touch on his athleticism which he has in spades over Manning.

QBR is for ESPN and fantasy football owners. Check out Lucks third down stats - that is the money down for QBs to keep the O on the field, he was among the top. Then check out his fourth quarter stats, again among the best in the quarter that matters most and more often than not decides the winner/loser. 

While I certainly respect your opinion, I am wondering if we watched the same QB. This is the thing. Name any QB in the history of football that walked into the situation he did - org completely blown up, new GM, new coaches, team blown up, rookies everywhere, a fanbase still smarting from losing their HoF QB in an ugly battle of he said, he said over twitter and an owner who quite frankly seemed like he had lost it. Add on top of all this losing your HC in the first game of the season for the whole season until week 17. No rookie QB was ever asked to do what Luck did, carry a 2-14 team that most expected to win about 2 games to 11 wins and the playoffs. I am willing to look at the picks as indicative of a rookie still adjusting to the speed and scheme of the game, but moreso of a rookie that literally had the world and then some on his shoulders and proved to everyone that he was every bit the pick the draft guys said he was.

And I didn't even touch on his athleticism which he has in spades over Manning.

QBR is for ESPN and fantasy football owners. Check out Lucks third down stats - that is the money down for QBs to keep the O on the field, he was among the top. Then check out his fourth quarter stats, again among the best in the quarter that matters most and more often than not decides the winner/loser.

I'm liking you more and more everyday.lol

I laughed when you said 'we'......

That is a silly post, with all due respect. 

You do, I hope, realize that Luck helped/led his team of mostly rookies get to 11-5 behind one of the worst O-lines ever, don't you?

That is a silly post, with all due respect. 

You do, I hope, realize that Luck helped/led his team of mostly rookies get to 11-5 behind one of the worst O-lines ever, don't you?

I am just not sold on Luck. Yes, there are all of those excuses you made. We will see how he does this year with an improved line. I hope for the best but I expect a sophomore crash down to something like 8-8 which would still be very good if everything is moving forward. Last year was a miracle that won't be repeated....

I am just not sold on Luck. Yes, there are all of those excuses you made. We will see how he does this year with an improved line. I hope for the best but I expect a sophomore crash down to something like 8-8 which would still be very good if everything is moving forward. Last year was a miracle that won't be repeated....

Sweet - believe what you like.  They're not excuses - they are facts; which of those facts do you dispute?  Provide details please..

Sweet - believe what you like.  They're not excuses - they are facts; which of those facts do you dispute?  Provide details please..

Did the offensive line make him throw all of those interceptions? I'll grant you that they were the cause of most of his fumbles. Did that offensive line make him throw the ball short on long passes and behind receivers in crossing patterns? Did that offensive line cause him to be such a poor reader of the opponents defense? That is where he will never catch up with Manning who might be the best ever at doing that. I don't see the same kind of work ethic that Peyton always showed. But that is just me and I hope for the best and some development but right now, I think he is way behind RGIII and Wilson who I think will both be big time stars.... Especially Wilson!!

Did the offensive line make him throw all of those interceptions? I'll grant you that they were the cause of most of his fumbles. Did that offensive line make him throw the ball short on long passes and behind receivers in crossing patterns? Did that offensive line cause him to be such a poor reader of the opponents defense? That is where he will never catch up with Manning who might be the best ever at doing that. I don't see the same kind of work ethic that Peyton always showed. But that is just me and I hope for the best and some development but right now, I think he is way behind RGIII and Wilson who I think will both be big time stars.... Especially Wilson!!

If you think that Griffin's and Wilson's success came from reading a defense then you clearly never watched them play. Their success came from the defense having more than just the passing game to prepare for(Top of the league running game PLUS a highly mobile QB for both teams) and the league's as a whole ill prepared answer for the read-option/pistol. Everybody knew what we were going to do and how to defend it yet we still won games despite the picks. Yes a lot of those were Luck's fault but the bottom line is the defense knew what we were going to do and yet we still did it mostly because of Luck and Reggie's millions of circus catches.

BTW - why does Luck wear #12? Has he ever said? Just wondering if it is because of Brady.

I'm not sure if your question was asked in jest or not, but I will do my best to reply.

To my knowledge, Andrew has never said why he wears #12.  I assume that he wears #12 now because he wore #12 in college and that he wore #12 in college because he wore #12 in high school.

As to why he wore #12 in high school, there may be several reasons:

It could be just because that was the # on the uniform that was handed to him.

It could be that he chose that # because he was born on the 12th of September.,

It could be that he chose that # because his father was #12 in high school.

It also could be that he chose that # because of Brady, but I highly doubt it as he was recently quoted as saying that he grew up admiring Peyton Manning and Steve McNair.

Here is the link to the article about the noodle arm comment, http://www.sbnation.com/2012/2/8/2785700/peyton-manning-noodle-arm-quote-bob-kravitz

Who am I to disagree. We have a few of our own in the Boston media. But the point is Kravitz was reporting that Irsay was saying Manning had the noodle arm. I didn't make it up. Your own reporter said it about your owner. Again, very sad the way Manning was treated in the end. He deserved much better.

Forgive me, but my reading comprehension is oft times lacking,.  I have viewed the article that you provided with your link and have viewed other articles that were linked in that article, but I can't find anything that justified your claim that Irsay said that Manning had a noodle arm.

I do see Kravitz's quote where he said that Peyton's arm was a noodle, but the only quote of Irsay's that I can see is the quote of his tweet which read:

"Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts."

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34758620

Anyhow, I am not saying that you are wrong; but merely that I can't find anything to support your claim unless, of course, you equate his tweet to mean that Irsay was implying that Peyton had a noodle arm.  So, would you be so kind as to show me what I am missing?

I'm not sure if your question was asked in jest or not, but I will do my best to reply.

To my knowledge, Andrew has never said why he wears #12.  I assume that he wears #12 now because he wore #12 in college and that he wore #12 in college because he wore #12 in high school.

It also could be that he chose that # because of Brady, but I highly doubt it as he was recently quoted as saying that he grew up admiring Peyton Manning and Steve McNair.

Forgive me, but my reading comprehension is oft times lacking,.  I have viewed the article that you provided with your link and have viewed other articles that were linked in that article, but I can't find anything that justified your claim that Irsay said that Manning had a noodle arm.

I do see Kravitz's quote where he said that Peyton's arm was a noodle, but the only quote of Irsay's that I can see is the quote of his tweet which read:

"Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts."

Anyhow, I am not saying that you are wrong; but merely that I can't find anything to support your claim unless, of course, you equate his tweet to mean that Irsay was implying that Peyton had a noodle arm.  So, would you be so kind as to show me what I am missing?

oliver wore #12 in college I believe it is related to that.

oliver wore #12 in college I believe it is related to that.

Oops, my bad.  I meant to say that Oliver wore #12 in college.  I have no clue what # he wore in high school.

Thank you for helping me correct myself. 

Edit:  My curiousity was aroused and I found this which told me that Oliver did also have the #12 in high school.

What's your views on some of the good things Luck did? It would be nice to see a balanced critique...

According to both Arians and Pagano, Luck was superb at reading the defense. Many of picks came from trying to fit the ball into a window or the defense making a great play. And I am not sure how the offensive line can be blamed for his fumbles and not some of his INTs. QBs typical throw picks when under duress, see Jay Cutler.

While I can't necessarily quibble with your view of Luck as we all have different perceptions, you still did not address my orginial point about the whirlwind enviornment he stepped into as a rookie. You are knocking his work ethic yet from day one he stepped on the field he had complete command of that team which is very much like Manning. You could literally see the team gel right around him. Look at the season Wayne had when most thought his best years were behind him.

Something else to consider, Manning won 3 games his rookie year and a ton of picks as well. Some say the game was more difficult back then but I disagree, The defenses are much more complex now and the players are much more athletic.

In terms of RG and Wilson, both supreme talents, neither was asked to do what Luck did. He had twice as many pass attempts as them and not nearly the defensive help. And again neither had to deal with the whirlwind situation that Luck walked into and neither had a HC that had never been a HC before or lost their HC and had his replacement be a guy that had never been a HC before. The only QB that may have had a similar first year was Matt Ryan who had to replace Vick but still not nearly the violatile situation as the Colts.

My question was legit on why he wears #12. Thank you for your response on it.

In terms of the Kravitz article and the overall story regarding Manning's arm, Kravitz said it was a noodle and he attributed his comment to the "people" that were watching Manning throw when he ws rehabbing. While the quote was never directly attributed to Irsay, it is believed to have orginated with him because just prior to the comment, Manning's doctors had come out and said Manning was medically cleared to play. So in response, Colts mgmt basically said he is structurally sound to play meaning he can take a hit but his arm is nowhere near NFL level hence the noodle arm comment. Now, Kravitz could have come up with the actual word "noodle" himself but that is the impression he got from the Colts people who were observing Manning throw.

In terms of the Kravitz article and the overall story regarding Manning's arm, Kravitz said it was a noodle and he attributed his comment to the "people" that were watching Manning throw when he ws rehabbing. While the quote was never directly attributed to Irsay, it is believed to have orginated with him because just prior to the comment, Manning's doctors had come out and said Manning was medically cleared to play. So in response, Colts mgmt basically said he is structurally sound to play meaning he can take a hit but his arm is nowhere near NFL level hence the noodle arm comment. Now, Kravitz could have come up with the actual word "noodle" himself but that is the impression he got from the Colts people who were observing Manning throw.

479825_325894264199775_2082902775_n.jpg

no way this thread goes wrong

I'm actually quite bothered that this was the first post in this thread. Even more-so that it was liked by so many people.

There's no reason whatsoever that we cannot have a fun (and civil) discussion while comparing these two eras, even if hypothetically. 

something like 8-8 which would still be very good if everything is moving forward. Last year was a miracle that won't be repeated....

errrrm....wouldn't 8-8 be indicative that things hadn't in fact moved forward? 

Last year wasn't a "miracle". Last year was the result of solid planning, smart as hell front office management and big gambles paying dividends. 

I'm actually quite bothered that this was the first post in this thread. Even more-so that it was liked by so many people.

There's no reason whatsoever that we cannot have a fun (and civil) discussion while comparing these two eras, even if hypothetically.

in theory, i agree with you. But you can see what happened.

in theory, i agree with you. But you can see what happened.

I know I know.........people take this sports thing too seriously sometimes. 

We really need to come together to change this divisive culture we have stewing in Colts Nation. Wherein, any compare to Manning is heresy, taboo. 

It's fine, people. We can compare. In case y'all didn't know, Peyton is quite happy in his new digs, being surrounded by a burgeoning potential dynastic caliber team. 

Just wait until Denver comes here this season. Then things will get prickly. 

Although they may be the same for you, for me there is a difference between someone saying that they didn't think Manning's arm is anywhere near NFL level and someone calling him a "noodle arm" as I find the latter to be somewhat rude and condescending and if I were Irsay, I wouldn't appreciate anyone saying that I had said those exact words (which is what you previously implied) when in truth, I had not.   

You may be interested in reading this article where Kravitz retracted his description of Manning's noodle arm:

"... I was trying to be funny, flippant, basically saying you don't spend 35 million bucks on a quarterback with a noodle arm. In my head, I was thinking, 'He used to have a laser rocket arm, now it's closer to a noodle arm.' "

Kravitz continued: "In an effort to explain rather than make an excuse, when you do dozens and dozens of interviews over the course of two weeks (something I'm not used to doing), you occasionally say something you wish you hadn't said, or wish you'd said in a different way. I know that in the course of that same interview, I said that my sources said he was throwing 'OK,' but 'noodle arm' understandably has a way of catching people's attention."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826d67d6/article/kravitz-retracts-description-of-mannings-noodle-arm

Holy hyperbole Batman!

Although they may be the same for you, for me there is a difference between someone saying that they didn't think Manning's arm is anywhere near NFL level and someone calling him a "noodle arm" as I find the latter to be somewhat rude and condescending and if I were Irsay, I wouldn't appreciate anyone saying that I had said those exact words (which is what you previously implied) when in truth, I had not.   

You may be interested in reading this article where Kravitz retracted his description of Manning's noodle arm:

"... I was trying to be funny, flippant, basically saying you don't spend 35 million bucks on a quarterback with a noodle arm. In my head, I was thinking, 'He used to have a laser rocket arm, now it's closer to a noodle arm.' "

Kravitz continued: "In an effort to explain rather than make an excuse, when you do dozens and dozens of interviews over the course of two weeks (something I'm not used to doing), you occasionally say something you wish you hadn't said, or wish you'd said in a different way. I know that in the course of that same interview, I said that my sources said he was throwing 'OK,' but 'noodle arm' understandably has a way of catching people's attention."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826d67d6/article/kravitz-retracts-description-of-mannings-noodle-arm

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realize Kravitz retracted it. Not sure if you read the other posts on this thread but i was being accused of making up the noodle arm reference so it really does not matter whether Irsay said it or not. Your own reporter said Manning had a noodle arm which was his impression after watching him throw. He may later have felt badly about his word choice but that is how he saw it. And again if you read the posts further back, I had made the noodle arm reference calling it a blatant lie which it was. While Manning has certainly lost some velocity, the way Colts mgmt and Kravitz painted it was completely false. All of this was based on a discussion about the Colts as an org and I was just pointing out that while the Colts have been one of the stellar run orgs it has its blemishes too like everyone else. The Manning release debacle is a good example of that.

I know I know.........people take this sports thing too seriously sometimes. 

We really need to come together to change this divisive culture we have stewing in Colts Nation. Wherein, any compare to Manning is heresy, taboo. 

It's fine, people. We can compare. In case y'all didn't know, Peyton is quite happy in his new digs, being surrounded by a burgeoning potential dynastic caliber team. 

Just wait until Denver comes here this season. Then things will get prickly. 

Denver will never be close to dynastic as long as Elway is the GM and Fox is the HC...Manning really should have went to the niners. When I see news of the Doomerville fiasco right on the heels of the niners signing Boldin and potentially Revis and still having 10 picks left if they do trade for Revis, I always think of Manning and wonder why on earth he picked Denver. I will never understand.

Denver will never be close to dynastic as long as Elway is the GM and Fox is the HC...Manning really should have went to the niners. When I see news of the Doomerville fiasco right on the heels of the niners signing Boldin and potentially Revis and still having 10 picks left if they do trade for Revis, I always think of Manning and wonder why on earth he picked Denver. I will never understand.

He denies it, but I think it has to do with Eli personally.

He denies it, but I think it has to do with Eli personally.

Yes, I had heard that too. I also heard that he Harbaugh would not have let him run his Indy offense. Still, the niners are stacked AND he would have had warmer weather as opposed to frigid Denver in Dec and Jan.

I remember when he was first released and Dungy was asked where he thought Peyton would go and Dungy said that he didn't think Manning would go somewhere to just win SBs that he would rather go some place where he felt comfortable. Perhaps Elway made him feel more comfortable. I don't know. I am not sure what that really means. I mean he has to want to get that second ring to at least equal his brother and separate himself from all the other one ring SB QBs.

errrrm....wouldn't 8-8 be indicative that things hadn't in fact moved forward? 

Last year wasn't a "miracle". Last year was the result of solid planning, smart as heck front office management and big gambles paying dividends. 

That team was picked by many to win between two and four games. They won several games they should not even have been in. I think they will come down to earth this year......

How does one "win games they should not be in"   ????

They are called QB's...     and Indy has a really good one.

That team was picked by many to win between two and four games. They won several games they should not even have been in. I think they will come down to earth this year......