Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Era vs Manning Era

Dark Superman

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have one question for you. If Tom terrific is the best ever why is it that they haven't won a SB since  Spygate happened? Been to 2 and lost them both to the Giants.  As far as I'm concerned looks like the Spygate was what helped them win the 3 they won.   If they had won a SB since that happened maybe my opinion would have been different but as it stands now I feel they cheated in all 3 games they won and then got caught.

If that is what you believe than nothing I will say will change it. It is your perogative to hang your hat on spygate, everyone eventually does when they can't come up with a solid argument to explain the pats unprecedented success before and after spygate...

If that is what you believe than nothing I will say will change it. It is your pergative to hang your hat on spygate, everyone eventually does when they can't come up with a solid argument to explain the pats unprecedented success before and after spygate...

what have they done since spygate? all that matters is superbowls.

Giesele introduced Welker to Anna so not only does he have Brady to thank for making him the best slot receiver in the game but also got him a model wife...

Like Welker needed Brady to introduce him to a model. Hypergamy finds a way.

How did the thread titled " Luck Era vs. Manning Era   turn into.....

....... a thread about Tom Brady and his wife...???  

Oh wait,  I think I know.

It is called NFL AM  :) (yes, I am referring to the new show on NFL Network ;))

LOL! Have you seen Welker? He needs all the help he can get. See and you thought Brady was just a great team player when it came to football. Way to help out a height challenged dude who probably now has brain damage from all the hits he has taken...

Like Welker needed Brady to introduce him to a model. Hypergamy finds a way.

If the Luck era > the Peyton era, then it means that the Colts will have had better postseason success.  As you stated, putting a balanced team around Luck will be the difference.  The Luck era will have the benefit of a front office willing to learn from the mistakes made during the Manning era.   

Exactly a balance team, somethimg we really never gave Peyton, Chuck has seen the Colts / Polians past mistakes and will avoid the same

CHUCK ON LUCK

"You sleep well at night," Pagano said of having Luck. "Like somebody said, the pillow is much softer. It's a great feeling."

"For all the great things he did in year one, he's his own worst critic, so he's going to go back and watch those snaps a thousand times over," Pagano said. "He's going to correct all the mistakes he made. He's very bright. He's a brilliant guy. He rarely makes the same mistakes twice."

Here's the scary thing for opponents: Pagano expects Luck to see things much better in 2013.

"The speed of the game will slow down for him, especially seeing the different things you do in the NFL, all the exotic blitzes and different packages on third down. He'll make the necessary adjustments. He won't be caught off guard, so to speak, in year two. It's comforting to know you have a guy like that and it's probably going to be for the next 12-14 years."

The Colts did sign two offensive linemen in free agency to help keep the pressure off Luck. Former Lion Gosder Cherilus was signed to play right tackle, and guard Donald Thomas(Patriots) was signed to help the running game. The Colts ran for 3.8 yards per rush, which was far below the league average of 4.4. That, in turn, put too much pressure on Luck and the passing game.

"We've got to be able to run the ball; that will take care of some of that [the sacks]," Pagano said. "We got behind in some games and probably had to throw the ball more than you go in with game-plan-wise. If you have to drop back and throw it 45 to 50 times, you're going to take some hits. We have to be able to balance it out. We have to run the football.,

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/21913394/nfl-meetings-musings-how-happy-is-pagano-to-have-luck-in-indy

LOL! Have you seen Welker? He needs all the help he can get. See and you thought Brady was just a great team player when it came to football. Way to help out a height challenged dude who probably now has brain damage from all the hits he has taken...

Look up what hypergamy is lol.

Giesele introduced Welker to Anna so not only does he have Brady to thank for making him the best slot receiver in the game but also got him a model wife...

By the way her name is spelled  Gisele thought you would like to know.   Now back to original topic please. :topic:

Sorry man, you completely lost me. If Manning had another possession it probably would have resulted in another TO not a TD especially late in the game when his arm was toast.

Toast is a funny word & works both ways  ,  As you & I clearly stated earlier in this thread if you don't win the AFC Championship or a Superbowl then your season was a flop a fold a failure of epic proportions IMO . Toast  also represents the Patriots 2012 season .

If your team is watching the game with you "the  Superbowl "  then trying to dog Peyton Manning for losing is pretty weak in fact its down right  Hilarious IMO . 

Toast is a funny word & works both ways  ,  As you & I clearly stated earlier in this thread if you don't win the AFC Championship or a Superbowl then your season was a flop a fold a failure of epic proportions IMO . Toast  also represents the Patriots 2012 season .

If your team is watching the game with you "the  Superbowl "  then trying to dog Peyton Manning for losing is pretty weak in fact its down right  Hilarious IMO .

I was talking about judging the success of an org which was the topic of this this thread. Rings in the end determine if a regime was successful, not divisional champs. I realize Colts fans have a different standard understandably. :-)

Toast is just a figure a speech. And I agree about the Pats and if you read further back, I give most of the blame to Brady for the playoff loss to the Ravens unilke the folks here who want to make excuse after excuse for Peyton and his three TOs. I mean you guys have a well thought out excuse book with tiers apparently -  first blame his defense, than his O-line, than his coach, than special teams and if all else fails it was the weather. Like I said before, Brady was a sixth round pick who was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career and I am willing to give him the lion's share of the blame but Manning as the first pick with the pedigree and 100 mil contracts gets excuses made for him despite having the most losses in post-season history. All we heard last year was how THIS Broncos team was the best team he has ever had around him. Fox gave him a running game, a top 10 defense, all the things the Colts failed to put around him and still he looked like the same old Manning.

Luck will not only surpass Manning, he wil be INFINITELY better. Last year was just a taste. He is the real deal number one pick. 

I was talking about judging the success of an org which was the topic of this this thread. Rings in the end determine if a regime was successful, not divisional champs. I realize Colts fans have a different standard understandably. :-)

Toast is just a figure a speech. And I agree about the Pats and if you read further back, I give most of the blame to Brady for the playoff loss to the Ravens unilke the folks here who want to make excuse after excuse for Peyton and his three TOs. I mean you guys have a well thought out excuse book with tiers apparently -  first blame his defense, than his O-line, than his coach, than special teams and if all else fails it was the weather. Like I said before, Brady was a sixth round pick who was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career and I am willing to give him the lion's share of the blame but Manning as the first pick with the pedigree and 100 mil contracts gets excuses made for him despite having the most losses in post-season history. All we heard last year was how THIS Broncos team was the best team he has ever had around him. Fox gave him a running game, a top 10 defense, all the things the Colts failed to put around him and still he looked like the same old Manning.

Luck will not only surpass Manning, he wil be INFINITELY better. Last year was just a taste. He is the real deal number one pick. 

So then if you believe that to be true, do you also concede that Luck will be INFINITELY better than Brady?  Because no matter which you believe to be the superior QB, Manning and Brady are not far apart.  Or do you also believe that Brady is INFINITELY better than Manning?

So then if you believe that to be true, do you also concede that Luck will be INFINITELY better than Brady?  Because no matter which you believe to be the superior QB, Manning and Brady are not far apart.  Or do you also believe that Brady is INFINITELY better than Manning?

This is what I concede. Luck will not lose 11 playoff games. Luck will not have eight one and done in the playoffs. Luck will not be in the top 10 all time for pick sixes in the regular season and post-season. Luck will have more than one fourth quarter comeback or GWD in the post-season. Luck will never score only 3 points in any two post-season games. Luck will never lose a playoff game to the likes of a Billy Volek.

Luck has a chance to get to Brady's level if he stays healthy and the Colts org continues to be smart.

Do you have to ask if I believe Brady is infinitely better than Peyton? lol.

We've lost our path.

the post is comparing Eras. Era is a measurement of Time.

We are comparing two teams of different Eras. Not two QBs.

What is the measurement of a success for an Era? IMO, Hardware. Period. The Yankees are the greatest baseball team because they have the most WS Trophies, for example.

this has nothing to do with the players...it has to do with the teams success over a span of a decade.

The word dynasty is used to describe a team that dominated an Era...not by single season wins, but by championships.

The OP used QB names to differentiate the ERAs but the subsequent posters have had trouble distinguishing the difference and want to keep comparing the QBs when we really need to focus on the success of the club.

So far, the Colts in the AL Era are on track to be just as good as the PM Era Colts.

One and done.

next topic.

Exactly.....this thread is as hopelessly QB-centric as the Colts were during the Manning Era. And boy oh boy am I getting sick of that word "Era".

One season of assessing the Colts TEAM approach where Andrew Luck happens to be the QB is not enough to compare much of anything...but I like what I see and hear so far in this rebuild.

The Manning Era....for all its regular-season glory....fell short because of over-emphasis on the QB position and a stubbornly dogmatic pass-first mentality. All to the detriment of the roster at large by the front office, the coaching staff and, yes....Peyton Manning himself.

I don't WANT an Andrew Luck "era"....I want a 53-man football team that doesn't get repeatedly shown the door because they're chronically SOFT against physical playoff opposition.

And I couldn't care less about regular season accolades either.

Ok, let the excuses roll. The fumble was not his fault either I suppose.

No matter. The real point is judging the success of QBs and still no one has answered my question. Do you put as much stock in the regular season as the post-season? I mean in the end rings are what every org and QB gets judged by.

When Peyton Manning retires you'll be at a loss for words basicly all I can say is your sole purpose here is to hate 14 years of hate I presume .., The worn out patriot troll sayings have run there course over the years . Excuses  not needed . I'v heard many " Pumped in Crowd noise in the RCA Dome comes to mind .

As I'v only been here a couple of months , I can only speak to what I'v read & You more than anyone else on this site is consumed by Peyton Manning daily & Always ready to pounce . I remember some  Patriot fans after the colts Won the Superbowl 

were Trolling CBS big time .  I 'v had many back & forths with Patriot fans most are just homers like me & I can say pretty decent folks , Unfortunately there are those who only wish to inflame & insight the average Colts fans & treat them as punching bags . Sad that a team that has been so good can have fans that exemplify just the opposite .

Peyton Manning & the Colts organization represents Class .  Thats the first thing that pops into your head everywhere but in New England .

Tom Brady  - Overachiever Elite QB & Class -              The Hoodie & a few of there rabid fans .  :scorebad::thmdown:

This is what I concede. Luck will not lose 11 playoff games. Luck will not have eight one and done in the playoffs. Luck will not be in the top 10 all time for pick sixes in the regular season and post-season. Luck will have more than one fourth quarter comeback or GWD in the post-season. Luck will never score only 3 points in any two post-season games. Luck will never lose a playoff game to the likes of a Billy Volek.

Luck has a chance to get to Brady's level if he stays healthy and the Colts org continues to be smart.

Gotcha.  Enjoy the forums.

btw..way to dodge the original question. ;)

When Peyton Manning retires you'll be at a loss for words basicly all I can say is your sole purpose here is to hate 14 years of hate I presume .., The worn out patriot troll sayings have run there course over the years . Excuses  not needed . I'v heard many " Pumped in Crowd noise in the RCA Dome comes to mind .

As I'v only been here a couple of months , I can only speak to what I'v read & You more than anyone else on this site is consumed by Peyton Manning daily & Always ready to pounce . I remember some  Patriot fans after the colts Won the Superbowl 

were Trolling CBS big time .  I 'v had many back & forths with Patriot fans most are just homers like me & I can say pretty decent folks , Unfortunately there are those who only wish to inflame & insight the average Colts fans & treat them as punching bags . Sad that a team that has been so good can have fans that exemplify just the opposite .

Peyton Manning & the Colts organization represents Class .  Thats the first thing that pops into your head everywhere but in New England .

Tom Brady  - Overachiever Elite QB & Class -              The Hoodie & a few of there rabid fans .  :scorebad::thmdown:

Patriots , Belichick, and Brady : No super bowl wins since tuck break and spygate ! It's as clear as day.

patriots.com must be down

Based on the number of posts I've seen from him lately, patriots.com must have been down for weeks.  I can understand that there are going to be people on either side of the debate of Manning vs. Brady...but from a strictly individual, QB vs. QB standpoint, anyone who believes that one is INFINITELY better than the other is a homer.

Just curious, is anyone who actually points out anything negative about Manning a hater in your world? I assure you if you check my posts you will see facts about Manning. I read a lot of drivel up here re: Brady and the Pats so please don't act like Colts fans are somehow above others especially when it comes to discussing the Patriots.

And in terms of your holier than thou stance, wasn't Polian the one that went crying to the commish about the Pats after they beat the Colts in 2004 saying we were playing too rough with your receivers? And how about Irsay's handling of your idol Manning? Was that class to just basically kick him to the curb and run to the media saying his arm was a noodle which was a blatant lie? I could go on but won't out of respect as I do think the Colts are one of the best run orgs but has blemishes like everyone. I am sorry that it bothers you if I point some of them out.

In terms of Manning, he is a complete paradox. Unbelievable regular season juxaposed to epic post-season failures. It is what it is. He may well change that in the next few years just as Brady may get that elusive fourth ring. Right now, the discussion is Luck and again sorry if it bothers you that I think he is a stud, the best rookie to come out in decades and one that in time will supercede Manning when it comes to what really matters - rings.

Just curious, is anyone who actually points out anything negative about Manning a hater in your world? I assure you if you check my posts you will see facts about Manning. I read a lot of drivel up here re: Brady and the Pats so please don't act like Colts fans are somehow above others especially when it comes to discussing the Patriots.

And in terms of your holier than thou stance, wasn't Polian the one that went crying to the commish about the Pats after they beat the Colts in 2004 saying we were playing too rough with your receivers? And how about Irsay's handling of your idol Manning? Was that class to just basically kick him to the curb and run to the media saying his arm was a noodle which was a blatant lie? I could go on but won't out of respect as I do think the Colts are one of the best run orgs but has blemishes like everyone. I am sorry that it bothers you if I point some of them out.

In terms of Manning, he is a complete paradox. Unbelievable regular season juxaposed to epic post-season failures. It is what it is. He may well change that in the next few years just as Brady may get that elusive fourth ring. Right now, the discussion is Luck and again sorry if it bothers you that I think he is a stud, the best rookie to come out in decades and one that in time will supercede Manning when it comes to what really matters - rings.

Just curious, is anyone who actually points out anything negative about Manning a hater in your world?

No

I assure you if you check my posts you will see facts about Manning.

True  there are some

I read a lot of drivel up here re: Brady and the Pats so please don't act like Colts fans are somehow above others especially when it comes to discussing the Patriots.

Actually I'm responding to your points while you dodge legit posts from others not to mention in most of your posts regardless of OP you seem to find away to bring up Brady - Patriots or slam Peyton Manning .

And in terms of your holier than thou stance

Did the Piped in noise for losses strike a chord ?

wasn't Polian the one that went crying to the commish about the Pats after they beat the Colts in 2004 saying we were playing too rough with your receivers?

I believe Bill Polian was on the competition committee , I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of Tom Brady with tears in his eyes , I don't recall the one of Bill Polian maybe you could post a link ?

And how about Irsay's handling of your idol Manning?

I have no false idols .   When Peyton Manning was cut it angered many Colts fans me included . I liked Peyton Manning & he meant alot to this city & state . It took me awhile to realize Jim Irsay had no choice it was the best thing for Peyton Manning & the Colts .

Was that class to just basically kick him to the curb and run to the media saying his arm was a noodle which was a blatant lie?

Actually I recall you posting about Peyton's noodle arm & only you . Gotta link ?

I could go on but won't out of respect as I do think the Colts are one of the best run orgs but has blemishes like everyone. I am sorry that it bothers you if I point some of them out.

Your opinions are obvious . Please don't be sorry I'm amused on a boring day . Thanks

In terms of Manning, he is a complete paradox. Unbelievable regular season juxaposed to epic post-season failures.

The OP is Luck - Manning   I had a Manning thread not many participated  you missed a golden opportunity to talk  about nothing but the greatest Indy Colt QB in recent history .

It is what it is.

I agree

He may well change that in the next few years just as Brady may get that elusive fourth ring

I hope your wrong on both .

Right now, the discussion is Luck

From the very first page   

and again sorry if it bothers you that I think he is a stud,

No apologies needed buddy even a broken clock is right twice a day . I happen to agree in fact I'll save ya a seat on the band wagon for when your 12 retires , You can be the first on your block with the nicest blue 12 jersey on the market you sir can rock the Horse Shoe ..

the best rookie to come out in decades and one that in time will supercede Manning when it comes to what really matters - rings.

Totally Agree except its this decades best 1'st pick Andrew Luck  & Peyton Manning the best first pick of the last decade . Good Point .

And once again we agree I too believe Andrew Luck will surpass Peyton Manning with all things equal , A defense built to Win in the playoffs by Ryan Grigson will be the difference maker .

Thank You for your post it was inspiring .

Matt Cassell

BTW Adonis, I did want to mention that I always enjoy your posts. I never take them or anyone else's personal and always appreciate a fellow homer. i think this thread overall has been pretty fantastic debate or if nothing else entertaining. :)

Thank you actually I'v had these lil debates with other Patriot fans on CBS & have made some friends one as far away as Alaska .

I like you enjoy the debate .  :applause:

Just curious, is anyone who actually points out anything negative about Manning a hater in your world?

No

I assure you if you check my posts you will see facts about Manning.

True  there are some

I read a lot of drivel up here re: Brady and the Pats so please don't act like Colts fans are somehow above others especially when it comes to discussing the Patriots.

Actually I'm responding to your points while you dodge legit posts from others not to mention in most of your posts regardless of OP you seem to find away to bring up Brady - Patriots or slam Peyton Manning .

And in terms of your holier than thou stance

Did the Piped in noise for losses strike a chord ?

wasn't Polian the one that went crying to the commish about the Pats after they beat the Colts in 2004 saying we were playing too rough with your receivers?

I believe Bill Polian was on the competition committee , I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of Tom Brady with tears in his eyes , I don't recall the one of Bill Polian maybe you could post a link ?

And how about Irsay's handling of your idol Manning?

I have no false idols .   When Peyton Manning was cut it angered many Colts fans me included . I liked Peyton Manning & he meant alot to this city & state . It took me awhile to realize Jim Irsay had no choice it was the best thing for Peyton Manning & the Colts .

Was that class to just basically kick him to the curb and run to the media saying his arm was a noodle which was a blatant lie?

Actually I recall you posting about Peyton's noodle arm & only you . Gotta link ?

I could go on but won't out of respect as I do think the Colts are one of the best run orgs but has blemishes like everyone. I am sorry that it bothers you if I point some of them out.

Your opinions are obvious . Please don't be sorry I'm amused on a boring day . Thanks

In terms of Manning, he is a complete paradox. Unbelievable regular season juxaposed to epic post-season failures.

The OP is Luck - Manning   I had a Manning thread not many participated  you missed a golden opportunity to talk  about nothing but the greatest Indy Colt QB in recent history .

It is what it is.

I agree

He may well change that in the next few years just as Brady may get that elusive fourth ring

I hope your wrong on both .

Right now, the discussion is Luck

From the very first page   

and again sorry if it bothers you that I think he is a stud,

No apologies needed buddy even a broken clock is right twice a day . I happen to agree in fact I'll save ya a seat on the band wagon for when your 12 retires , You can be the first on your block with the nicest blue 12 jersey on the market you sir can rock the Horse Shoe ..

the best rookie to come out in decades and one that in time will supercede Manning when it comes to what really matters - rings.

Totally Agree except its this decades best 1'st pick Andrew Luck  & Peyton Manning the best first pick of the last decade . Good Point .

And once again we agree I too believe Andrew Luck will surpass Peyton Manning with all things equal , A defense built to Win in the playoffs by Ryan Grigson will be the difference maker .

Thank You for your post it was inspiring .

Nicely done. I agree with most everything. I am already on the Luck bandwagon. BTW - why does Luck wear #12? Has he ever said? Just wondering if it is because of Brady.

Second, It was your IndyStar reporter Kravitz that reported on Manning having a noodle arm which was in turn picked up by ESPN. I will try to find one of the links. I agree that Irsay had no choice but you must agree that his handling of the situation was horrific. Manning deserved better than that. It became a "he said", "he said" battled in the media with Irsay tweeting. Very unprofessional by him, though Manning did handle it with class as he typical does with most everything.

Third, Manning was supposed to be the best first pick of the draft to a little known sixth round pick upstaged him. Love the rivarly between the two and the fact that Brady always plays his best ball against him.

kravitz is a known knucklehead

Who am I to disagree. We have a few of our own in the Boston media. But the point is Kravitz was reporting that Irsay was saying Manning had the noodle arm. I didn't make it up. Your own reporter said it about your owner. Again, very sad the way Manning was treated in the end. He deserved much better.

Curves of a 10-year-old boy and a horse face.

Ha,ha. Not good enough to trash on Brady the football player, now have to go after his super model wife? I will say this though, I thought his girlfriend before Gisele, Bridget Monyhan was much more attractive. But then again I think brunettes are prettier anyways...

Ha,ha. Not good enough to trash on Brady the football player, now have to go after his super model wife? I will say this though, I thought his girlfriend before Gisele, Bridget Monyhan was much more attractive. But then again I think brunettes are prettier anyways...

I actually have nothing against Brady - please show me where I trashed Tom.  Just being honest about my view of Gisele.  Yes, Bridget more attractive.

Who am I to disagree. We have a few of our own in the Boston media. But the point is Kravitz was reporting that Irsay was saying Manning had the noodle arm. I didn't make it up. Your own reporter said it about your owner. Again, very sad the way Manning was treated in the end. He deserved much better.

Hard to feel sorry for Peyton with his gazillion $.     But, the public p---ing contest between Irsay and Manning was not one of the Colts' finest moments.

What more do you think Peyton deserved besides $20M for not playing in 2011, another $20M for a typical playoff choke in Denver in 2012?     Please, Please - mistreat me like that!  :)   

I realize this is a thread soliciting predictions, but on one hand you have a guy heading into his second year and on the other a guy who's been in the league for 15 years.

Going year-to-year, Luck's first season seems to have surpassed Manning's in just about all areas, but the game is not what it was back in 1998. At the time, Manning was the exception, being a rookie starting from his very first game. Now, most guys in that position are pressed into immediate service.

Manning's legacy will be more about consistent production. Most consecutive 4,000 yard seasons, most TDs and yards per game, etc-etc. He's just about unmatched when it comes to being a productive passer.

Luck has yet to write his legacy. It's just a question that's impossible to answer at this point.