Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that Jim feels the need to sign somebody / anybody after the "wopper" embarassment.

I just hope that they get DHB some really, really sticky gloves!

i swear, i person says something on here and anyone who doesnt know anything just repeats it....   bad comments spread like a disease.

he had 5 drops last year....  he has played for a crap organization with crap QBs.  He will be a whopper of a WR if we can get this singing done.  He is a solid #2 with a ceiling as high as the sky.  The guy has the POSSIBILITY to be the future #1 after Reggie retires.

i swear, i person says something on here and anyone who doesnt know anything just repeats it....   bad comments spread like a disease.

he had 5 drops last year....  he has played for a crap organization with crap QBs.  He will be a whopper of a WR if we can get this singing done.  He is a solid #2 with a ceiling as high as the sky.  The guy has the POSSIBILITY to be the future #1 after Reggie retires.

Where are you getting your "drop" numbers. There are a lot of balls that I consider drops, that some do not.

Here are the colt hard facts. He was targeted 80 times in 2012, He caught 41 of those. That means he catches about 50% of the balls thrown his way.

http://www.kffl.com/player/20746/nfl/utilization/darrius-heyward-bey?uyear=2012

Hope that you are right.  tnx

Where are you getting your "drop" numbers. There are a lot of balls that I consider drops, that some do not.

Here are the colt hard facts. He was targeted 80 times in 2012, He caught 41 of those. That means he catches about 50% of the balls thrown his way.

So your holding DHB accountable for overthrows, underthrows and defenders making plays on the ball too?

Just cuz you're Targeted doesn't mean they all are catchable.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr2011

this website says Reggie Wayne caught 57% of passes thrown to him in 2011 when we had no QB.  Imagine if his first few years were with that offense...  

D.Heyward-Bey OAK 129 40 121 43 1.7% 48 0.8% 115 975 917 4 56% 1 1/9

R.Wayne IND 143 31 122 41 1.2% 49 -0.9% 131 960 1,054 4 57% 0 1/42

those are Reggie and DHB's stats from 2011.  I just plucked the rows from a chart so the categories aren't there.  click the link if u want to see them all but    YARDS= Wayne-1054 DHB-917    TDs = both 4   Catch% = Wayne 57%  DHB 56%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr2011

this website says Reggie Wayne caught 57% of passes thrown to him in 2011 when we had no QB.  Imagine if his first few years were with that offense...  

D.Heyward-Bey OAK 129 40 121 43 1.7% 48 0.8% 115 975 917 4 56% 1 1/9

R.Wayne IND 143 31 122 41 1.2% 49 -0.9% 131 960 1,054 4 57% 0 1/42

those are Reggie and DHB's stats from 2011.  I just plucked the rows from a chart so the categories aren't there.  click the link if u want to see them all but    YARDS= Wayne-1054 DHB-917    TDs = both 4   Catch% = Wayne 57%  DHB 56%

There is no comparison here.

Painter is 10x worse than any QB the Raiders have had in the past 10 years, and yes, that includes Russel.

So your holding DHB accountable for overthrows, underthrows and defenders making plays on the ball too?

Just cuz you're Targeted doesn't mean they all are catchable.

no, Im not. I'm just saying. If someone throws the ball your way 80 times and you only catch 50%, well that speaks for itself. Pus a lot of people are touting DHB for his size and speed, claiming he can "go up and get the ball" These numbers suggest something else.

There is no comparison here.

Painter is 10x worse than any QB the Raiders have had in the past 10 years, and yes, that includes Russel.

Reggie caught 53% of the balls that went his way and had one of the lowest drop rates in the league. Catches/targets isn't a good indicator of hands.

Reggie caught 53% of the balls that went his way and had one of the lowest drop rates in the league. Catches/targets isn't a good indicator of hands.

I think it's the other way around, There are no good statistics for Drops. I watched every Colts game last year, and I can tell you that Avery had at least double the drops that his stats indicate.

I think it's the other way around, There are no good statistics for Drops. I watched every Colts game last year, and I can tell you that Avery had at least double the drops that his stats indicate.

Here's some lists that takes into account every snap that was played by any given player: 

2012: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

2011: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

He didn't appear in the top 10 worst of 2012 or the bottom 20 of 2011, so I think his drop problem is a bit exaggerated.

Yeah....   but that doesn't mean he's dropping the other 50%.      The vast majority of the 50 percent he doesn't catch are either poor throws,  or well covered...    some, he dropped.

Yeah....   but that doesn't mean he's dropping the other 50%.      The vast majority of the 50 percent he doesn't catch are either poor throws,  or well covered...    some, he dropped.

Agreed, but like I said. Some are touting him as a big receiver who can "go up and get the ball" and all that stuff, and  he has the speed to get behind the secondary. I'm just pointing out that he has a 50% reception percentage.

Agreed, but like I said. Some are touting him as a big receiver who can "go up and get the ball" and all that stuff, and he has the speed to get behind the secondary. I'm just pointing out that he has a 50% reception percentage.

if the ball isn't in your neighborhood, its tough to make the catch

Agreed, but like I said. Some are touting him as a big receiver who can "go up and get the ball" and all that stuff, and  he has the speed to get behind the secondary. I'm just pointing out that he has a 50% reception percentage.

Fair enough....

But, I'd like to think with a QB like Luck,  who throws a very catchable ball,  throwing to him,  that DHB might have a much better year than he's had with Oakland....

Just thinking out loud....    no real way of knowing until it happens...

Fair enough....

But, I'd like to think with a QB like Luck,  who throws a very catchable ball,  throwing to him,  that DHB might have a much better year than he's had with Oakland....

Just thinking out loud....    no real way of knowing until it happens...

Do you think he was mostly targeted on deeper type routes ? For instance he would have been "stretching the field " a whole lot more than a Reggie Wayne or Wes Welker. Mayne not "mostly' as I said but no doubt enough to account for a great deal of the stat you bring up.

Fair enough....

But, I'd like to think with a QB like Luck, who throws a very catchable ball, throwing to him, that DHB might have a much better year than he's had with Oakland....

Just thinking out loud.... no real way of knowing until it happens...

I have not been an advocate for bringing DHB to Indy, but the question seems to come down to the cost of bringing him here and having him fail vs. the potential for success.

I think I've mistakenly been distracted by the fact that the Raiders reached so drastically for him. I've been preaching that the Colts FO ought to focus on VALUE with all their acquisitions, and feel like they've been very faithful to that idea. I'm starting to come around to the fact that DHB would be a solid value pickup too.

Do you think he was mostly targeted on deeper type routes ? For instance he would have been "stretching the field " a whole lot more than a Reggie Wayne or Wes Welker. Mayne not "mostly' as I said but no doubt enough to account for a great deal of the stat you bring up.

Honestly,  I don't know.

In the interest of full disclosure,  when DHB's name came up here a few weeks I was not very excited about him. 

But,  the more I've learned about him,  the more I see this deal as having much more upside than downside...   even if he's no better than Donnie Avery,  he's at least faster, plus bigger....   those two things alone can only help.     So,  I'm now for the Colts signing him.

And I think it'll happen in the next 12-24 hours....   at least,  that's my hope....

I have not been an advocate for bringing DHB to Indy, but the question seems to come down to the cost of bringing him here and having him fail vs. the potential for success.

I think I've mistakenly been distracted by the fact that the Raiders reached so drastically for him. I've been preaching that the Colts FO ought to focus on VALUE with all their acquisitions, and feel like they've been very faithful to that idea. I'm starting to come around to the fact that DHB would be a solid value pickup too.

Look at my post right below yours...   we posted at almost the same time...  and my view mirrors yours very closely....

Which I think is probably much more scary for you than it is for me!!     :thmup:

DHB 40 time - 4.3

Donnie Avery 40 time - 4.27

DHB is not faster than Avery. Can we put that myth to bed? Not saying DHB isn't a better option than Avery, just that I've seen several say that DHB is faster and it's not true.

He runs faster when they're both wearing pads.

He runs faster when they're both wearing pads.

I don't know about that. Don't know if there is a time that exists for that. Luck said last yr. that Avery was the only receiver that could outrun his throws and considering Hilton was on the team, that tells me that Avery was pretty darn fast in pads.

I don't know about that. Don't know if there is a time that exists for that. Luck said last yr. that Avery was the only receiver that could outrun his throws and considering Hilton was on the team, that tells me that Avery was pretty darn fast in pads.

Very well could be true but, I am gonna take it as Luck was offering up an exaggerated compliment. I really don't care for the premise of the argument anyways... Who cares who is faster... He is tall and physical and will run run run.

If we sign him I think he will be looked at more than Avery was simply because this guy is more intimidating and will fight you at the line better.

Nick Ragsdale ‏@ColtsInsiders

I got to ask GM Ryan Grigson a question on the season ticket holder conference call. What did I ask about? The Whopper.

Grigson said that they 'cast a lot of lines in the water' and waited to see what would bite. They were hopeful on a few guys.

Grigson went on to say that he thought DHB would be a great addition to the roster and could do great things in the #Colts offense.

Translation: DHB is NOT the 'whopper' and the original 'bite' they had fell off the hook. Seemed content with adding DHB.

He did mention that he didn't think slot WR's were worth HUGE dollars and that they can be found at the bottom of the draft.

He's excited about Griff Whalen and mentioned that Welker and Amendola were late picks or undrafted. Won't overpay. #Colts

@ColtsInsiders

For those asking... Yes, it seems as though DHB will be suiting up for tge #Colts this season. Grigson seemed to elude to it.

Some more info

DHB 40 time - 4.3

Donnie Avery 40 time - 4.27

DHB is not faster than Avery. Can we put that myth to bed? Not saying DHB isn't a better option than Avery, just that I've seen several say that DHB is faster and it's not true.

Everything I've read said DHB ran a 4.27 as well. At his size that's pretty damn sweet! I'm thinking he can play the garçon roll quite well

Light years ahead of Painter. Which was my original point.

Your giving way to much credit to JR and Gradkowski who play at a similar level as Painter statistically.  I will give you that Campbell and Palmer are better however they still aren't great by any means .

DHB has been on a team that has played pinball with many different QBs.  I could see him being substantially better for the Colts than he has been with the Raiders.  I don't think it will even be comparable honestly, barring injury.  Colts have a better organization with better players and a much more optimistic future. 

DHB has had a craptacular opportunity to play with the Raiders.  Sometimes a fresh start with a better organization works wonders.

Your giving way to much credit to JR and Gradkowski who play at a similar level as Painter statistically. I will give you that Campbell and Palmer are better however they still aren't great by any means .

DHB has been on a team that has played pinball with many different QBs. I could see him being substantially better for the Colts than he has been with the Raiders. I don't think it will even be comparable honestly, barring injury. Colts have a better organization with better players and a much more optimistic future.

DHB has had a craptacular opportunity to play with the Raiders. Sometimes a fresh start with a better organization works wonders.

Exactly! And withouth the expectations of being the #6 or 7th pick. Kinda of like Hughes. How he gets dumped on for being a first rounder. Not his fault polian lost it years ago.

Look at my post right below yours... we posted at almost the same time... and my view mirrors yours very closely....

Which I think is probably much more scary for you than it is for me!! :thmup:

I think we tend to agree more often than not. I'm not skeered. :)

Honestly,  I don't know.

In the interest of full disclosure,  when DHB's name came up here a few weeks I was not very excited about him. 

But,  the more I've learned about him,  the more I see this deal as having much more upside than downside...   even if he's no better than Donnie Avery,  he's at least faster, plus bigger....   those two things alone can only help.     So,  I'm now for the Colts signing him.

And I think it'll happen in the next 12-24 hours....   at least,  that's my hope....

Same here , I was not excited about DHB , but have come to think it might be a good signing. Do you think it might be a little like some of those Polian drafts. You would sit for hours and hope this guy and that guy wouldn't go off the board and be all happy as you felt there were 6-7 great guys for Polian to drfat.Then .. lo and behold he would draft someone that weighed about 180lbs and was projected 3 rounds later. Then you would somehow come to talk yourself into liking the pick ?