Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this amusing:

A couple weeks ago, the majority here were blasting anyone who dared suggest the Colts upgrade at WR.

Fast forward through a bunch of FA signings, the likes of which we've never seen in Indy. Pepper in a few tweets from Irsay, and 3000 futile, and sometimes downright silly posts in this thread, and the result?

The majority now appears bummed that the Colts didn't upgrade at WR, and are blasting Irsay for not making it happen.

I find this amusing:

A couple weeks ago, the majority here were blasting anyone who dared suggest the Colts upgrade at WR.

Fast forward through a bunch of FA signings, the likes of which we've never seen in Indy. Pepper in a few tweets from Irsay, and 3000 futile, and sometimes downright silly posts in this thread, and the result?

The majority now appears bummed that the Colts didn't upgrade at WR, and are blasting Irsay for not making it happen.

I'd rather draft the next marvin harrison if we could...

I find this amusing:

People are only blasting because nearly all the other needs were met lol .What are you thinking sign a 5th NT a 15th DB ?6 or 7 safeties? 5 QBS?

People are only blasting because nearly all the other needs were met lol .What are you thinking sign a 5th NT a 15th DB ?6 or 7 safeties? 5 QBS?

I'm thinking no such thing. I said before FA started that I wanted to see Grigs make incremental upgrades at multiple positions, and am immensely pleased that he has made it happen (at least on paper). WR was another place where I felt the team could improve, and while I love that Irsay was dreaming big, I'm OK that it didn't work out... Yet.

I'm just amused at the transition from

"Deat Mr. Irsay: Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen and Kelley are just so awesome that there is no way or no need to improve at WR"

to

"Dear fans, I hear what you're saying, but I don't just want incremental improvement, I'm going to try to land a whopper"

to

"How dare you fall short of making that deal happen. Jim, you are letting us down!"

I find this amusing:

I have remained steadfast in my belief that a WR is not needed, but since so many of our other needs have been filled with our signings, I would be fine signing one but I would rather draft one. I would still rather get another OG before a WR though.

Doesn't look like it was ever a trade. Sorry if this has been posted already:

http://www.indystar.com/proart/20130320/sports03/303200055/colts-owner-jim-irsay-we-want-add-another-receiver-?pagerestricted=1

"He revealed during his conversation with The Indianapolis Star that the team was close to signing a veteran free agent — not arranging a trade for a player under contract — but the negotiations hit a snag.

“It was going along pretty decent,” Irsay said, “but you know how it goes. It’s a roller-coaster ride.”

He declined to identify the targeted player."

http://www.indystar.com/proart/20130320/sports03/303200055/colts-owner-jim-irsay-we-want-add-another-receiver-?pagerestricted=1

"He revealed during his conversation with The Indianapolis Star that the team was close to signing a veteran free agent — not arranging a trade for a player under contract — but the negotiations hit a snag.

“It was going along pretty decent,” Irsay said, “but you know how it goes. It’s a roller-coaster ride.”

Yeah just read it. Interesting.  :thmup:

Based on that I do wonder if it was Moss :P

Well, it was fun while it lasted guys, it does seem to have created support though for the idea of drafting a WR in the 1st, something I don't think as many would have been in favor of pre-FA. 

Well, it was fun while it lasted guys, it does seem to have created support though for the idea of drafting a WR in the 1st, something I don't think as many would have been in favor of pre-FA. 

Definately not before. But the WR class is deep this year. Would still prefer a pass rusher in the 1st.

Is this like the law of gravity, as in the thread has now become so massive it's pulling others into it and absorbing there content? 

I reckon we can keep this going to the draft speculating as to which WR we will draft and how they would match up against the "wopper" we let get away. In my first celebrity WR death match I chose Tavon Austin Vs Jeremy Maclin... Discuss :P

I have remained steadfast in my belief that a WR is not needed, but since so many of our other needs have been filled with our signings, I would be fine signing one but I would rather draft one. I would still rather get another OG before a WR though.

I think you and I have largely been on the same page on this, including our man-crush on Barden, even if I've been more inclined to add WR as a need.

I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I'm not putting any stock into the comments of a 12 year old who can't spell "whopper". Heck, I'd probably take Balzer's word for it over this guy.

You do realize Irsay spelled it wopper as well yes? He was merely quoting Irsay.

Well there was a bit of news in there at least.  The player they wanted is a veteran FA and not a situation where a trade would need to happen.

Honestly, even though he said it wasn't Cruz, it had to have been.

Only "big" (big being used very lightly here) WRs left not counting Cruz are: Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Darius Heyward-Bey, & Kevin Walter. None of those I consider "whoppers" or even close to. Irsay already denied that the team wasn't interested in Heyward-Bey either.

Honestly, even though he said it wasn't Cruz, it had to have been.

Only "big" (big being used very lightly here) WRs left not counting Cruz are: Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Darius Heyward-Bey, & Kevin Walter. None of those I consider "whoppers" or even close to. Irsay already denied that the team wasn't interested in Heyward-Bey either.

cruz isn't a fa.

Looks like it's over gang, good job team, we tried hard, and hit the biggest thread on the forum, but looks like nothing will come out of it

Jim Irsay tells Indy Star #Colts still want to add WR. "Whopper" deal hit a snag. If I had to guess, draft is most likely route.

Irsay also confirmed to Star that "whopper" target was a free agent deal, not a trade. Did not identify WR. #Colts

I'm always in favor I have wanted the colts to draft a WR or RB for idk how long we need to get a young WR so he can learn behind Reggie for a few years so that's the best idea if you ask me

cruz isn't a fa.

True but there isn't a single FA WR available worthy of all the agony of "working for 5 days". Plus if it was an outright signing Irsay was looking for, then that means said player is still available. If that's the case, what better situation does that player have staring him in the face than catching passes from Luck?

I'm convinced the target was always Cruz, they just couldn't get him to sign the offer sheet or he wanted an outrageous amount to sign. That combined with giving up the pick was just to big a pill to swallow.

I'm always in favor I have wanted the colts to draft a WR or RB for idk how long we need to get a young WR so he can learn behind Reggie for a few years so that's the best idea if you ask me

I would still rather draft our future olb rusher this year ad draft our future number 1 wideout next year . The receiving corp In next years draft is orgasmic .

True but there isn't a single FA WR available worthy of all the agony of "working for 5 days". Plus if it was an outright signing Irsay was looking for, then that means said player is still available. If that's the case, what better situation does that player have staring him in the face than catching passes from Luck?

I'm convinced the target was always Cruz, they just couldn't get him to sign the offer sheet or he wanted an outrageous amount to sign. That combined with giving up the pick was just to big a pill to swallow.

the article above said it was a veteran free agent

I would still rather draft our future olb rusher this year ad draft our future number 1 wideout next year . The receiving corp In next years draft is orgasmic .

They just prolly aren't going defense now I wouldn't mind that either but I want a WR the most and a big RB to compliment Vick