Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

so, do you guys think we are done in FA?

trueblueblood

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they'd go for Xavier Rhodes before they got Toler. Now, I think they'll trade down for two second round picks. I think that sounds more efficient. Unless, they see an amazing WR or LG still available. I think they'll stick with Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, Howard, and Thomas, and Cherilus. You can throw some of the other players we had in there for backups. Shipley, Ijalana if he can stay healthy, Linkenbach, etc. I'd say that's solid. If anything a backup left tackle whose decent would be awesome. 

Hear me our here. Maybe Mathis is on the block?

Could be, or bethea? Angerer maybe? Man this is a good one cause I really have no clue. Sounds like they've been asked to trade him in the past and said no. Now thinking about it. All these twists are soooo exciting! Lol

I thought they'd go for Xavier Rhodes before they got Toler. Now, I think they'll trade down for two second round picks. I think that sounds more efficient. Unless, they see an amazing WR or LG still available. I think they'll stick with Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, Howard, and Thomas, and Cherilus. You can throw some of the other players we had in there for backups. Shipley, Ijalana if he can stay healthy, Linkenbach, etc. I'd say that's solid. If anything a backup left tackle whose decent would be awesome.

Shipleys twice the center Satele is ,wish they would cut him or use him for trade bait

I could see Moore, Slauson, or Schwartz brought in at guard (I think they are all still on the market)...

Although Moore is sorta old he could be a decent stop-gap for a year or two...

Not sure how Grigs & Pagano feel about Slauson I suppose he could be viewed as having off field issues, or just a locker room headache...

Not sure how great Schwartz is, but cant be worse than McGlynn...

but they seem like the best free agent options left at the Guard position...

Maybe Grigs digs up the best linemen from the CFL... Who knows...

Schwartz was a mauler dude, read a lot of good things bout Schwartz

Two thoughts....  if the Colts don't sign Toler,  or any other corner during FA on the hope of drafting Rhodes,  what happens if Rhodes is already gone by the time the Colts pick at 24??    When you're picking 24, it's very hard to build a plan around the guy you want being there.

The second thought is this....   we won't get two #2's for our #1.    Doubt anyone will.    It's too much.   No team would do it, especially in this draft where there's very good talent in the 2nd round.

I just heard Schefter on Sportscenter say the Colts are still in the running for Ed Reed. I just assumed that was out of the question at this point with the Landry signing.

yeah...I heard him say that too, but it's not going to happen. I really don't see any benefit at all for picking him up with Bethea/Landry. 

Two thoughts....  if the Colts don't sign Toler,  or any other corner during FA on the hope of drafting Rhodes,  what happens if Rhodes is already gone by the time the Colts pick at 24??    When you're picking 24, it's very hard to build a plan around the guy you want being there.

The second thought is this....   we won't get two #2's for our #1.    Doubt anyone will.    It's too much.   No team would do it, especially in this draft where there's very good talent in the 2nd round.

For me the next choice at 24 if Rhodes isn't there is Trufant, He is the best available with the press and man coverage skills/experience that fits the Colts system. You are probably right, the value @ 24 isn't equal to two 2nd rounders.

Yeah I agree, I said in another thread that we addressed more spots of weakness than I ever thought we would through free agency. Everything else we get from here on out is just a big bonus. Grigson hit a grandslam IMO this week.

Completely agree.  I know our OLB signings aren't making everyone happy, but the reality is we have:

A) Walden - A guy who could be great but was stuck behind better talent.

B) Sidbury - A guy who some say was a poor scheme fit in Atlanta and was in the coach's dog house.

At this point, both are mostly unknowns, but both have great upside in our scheme and could pay dividends.

I would love to snatch up one more of those guards as well. Could potentially get our final starter with Moore or Schwartz, or at the very least O line depth. To be honest, I was obsessing over the draft to build our team. But after the last 2 days of FA, I am feeling pretty confident. Draft BPA and it's just icing on the cake. I wouldn't mind drafting a top WR to develop with our young core though.

Stop with the draftin a wide out shenanigans ! Next year is year of the WR

Schwartz and Barden, please.

Well, Schwartz is going off the market.

The Chiefs are expected to sign free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz.

Schwartz was a 16-game starter in 2010 for the Panthers, but missed all of 2011 due to hip surgery and then lost his 2012 starting job with the Vikings to Brandon Fusco. Still, he's just 26 years old, can play multiple positions on the line and handles himself well in the running game. It's another quality move from the new Andy Reid regime.

@@coltsinsider

#Colts are not done signing FA players, however, with what we have. The #NFL draft just became a LOT more interesting. Need VS BPA in play.

I don't know why I find it so easy to believe Grigson about his BPA approach, while others find it so hard. I don't think "need vs. BPA" was ever in play. It didn't seem to be in play in last year's draft, where we hardly had a roster. I don't see why it would be in play this season, after the team has added 7 players at positions of need in free agency.

I just heard Schefter on Sportscenter say the Colts are still in the running for Ed Reed. I just assumed that was out of the question at this point with the Landry signing.

Unless this rumored trade involves us getting rid of Bethea, who wasn't great last year, and is in the last year of his contract. I actually find that idea intriguing. All things being equal, I'd rather have Reed than Bethea. And if it's Reed + a mid round draft pick for the next two years, vs. Bethea for one year, it's even more lopsided.

:: rubs chin provocatively ::

I don't know why I find it so easy to believe Grigson about his BPA approach, while others find it so hard. I don't think "need vs. BPA" was ever in play. It didn't seem to be in play in last year's draft, where we hardly had a roster. I don't see why it would be in play this season, after the team has added 7 players at positions of need in free agency.

A couple of things have made me believe that there is no doubt he goes BPA. For a start, he did so last year, especially with the Allen pick which proved to be a great decision. Also, he was a straight shooter with regards in Free Agency and carried it out exactly how he claimed he would. He is not a 'political answer' type, so when he says he will go BPA, there is no reason to doubt him.

Also, quite a few people seem to have trouble understanding the concept of BPA... they seem to think it is just one generic list of players at set spots based on skill level. It will be BPA based on the Colt's own big board, there will not be quarterback at the top of that board, or Tight Ends, because why would they be? The Colts did not attend West Virginia Pro Day to look over Geno Smith with a fine-tooth comb, he is not in their eye-line, why would he be on their Big Board? Obviously certain players cannot be separated from a skills standpoint because they play different positions and have very different skill-sets, so at that point you assess potential overall impact to the team, which still comes under the Best Player Available mantra... it is best player available for your team.

So I think the problem is, a lot of people over-simplify the concept of BPA, it certainly isn't a difficult concept, but not quite as simple as taking whoever the next man is on Bucky Brooks top 100.

yeah...I heard him say that too, but it's not going to happen. I really don't see any benefit at all for picking him up with Bethea/Landry. 

Exactly. There's no way Reed comes here unless he starts and they paid Landry too much to be a backup or situational type guy. The only possible answer is trading Bethea and hoping Reed signs but that seems unlikely to me.

A couple of things have made me believe that there is no doubt he goes BPA. For a start, he did so last year, especially with the Allen pick which proved to be a great decision. Also, he was a straight shooter with regards in Free Agency and carried it out exactly how he claimed he would. He is not a 'political answer' type, so when he says he will go BPA, there is no reason to doubt him.

Also, quite a few people seem to have trouble understanding the concept of BPA... they seem to think it is just one generic list of players at set spots based on skill level. It will be BPA based on the Colt's own big board, there will not be quarterback at the top of that board, or Tight Ends, because why would they be? The Colts did not attend West Virginia Pro Day to look over Geno Smith with a fine-tooth comb, he is not in their eye-line, why would he be on their Big Board? Obviously certain players cannot be separated from a skills standpoint because they play different positions and have very different skill-sets, so at that point you assess potential overall impact to the team, which still comes under the Best Player Available mantra... it is best player available for your team.

So I think the problem is, a lot of people over-simplify the concept of BPA, it certainly isn't a difficult concept, but not quite as simple as taking whoever the next man is on Bucky Brooks top 100.

Great post.

What if we traded Bethea and picked up a safety in the draft(Elam anyone?) and then Ed Reed in FA to mentor the one we draft? I love Bethea and really think he just had a down year but with Reed leaving texans without a deal it's still a possibility. 

I'd prefer to just keep Bethea and Landry myself but wouldn't be too discouraged by the move.