Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laron Landry signed with Colts (confirmed) (merge)

Ihh61691

The only part that scares me is that he gets 14M guaranteed. He's had some injury concerns in the last few years, so I would think his guarantee amount would be a bit less than 14M.

Either way, if healthy, he's a top 10 safety. 

Would you rather go with Zbikowski?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think we'll add another solid young corner out of the draft, but now I believe a bit less that it will be with the first round pick. I now agree more with my man Blood On The Tracks that it will probably be a pass rusher or DE.

I am reserved on this one for 2 reasons. The guy seem to prefer big hits to tackles and we all know what may happen when he misses and second, I am concerned he is not going to stay healthy. I would have preferred Pollard because he seems to stay healthy.

Landry's only real injury was the Achilles problem...and pollard has missed his fair share of games I think

Totally confirmed -- Wikipedia already has him playing for the colts.  They are pretty fast updating their stats. Here's their write-up.

LaRon Louis Landry (born October 14, 1984) is an American football safety who plays for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Louisiana State University (LSU), and earned All-American honors. The Washington Redskins selected him with the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft

Good signing depending on the $ involved.  4 yrs $24Million, $14Million guaranteed.  Seems a bit high.  Spotty in coverage but he can lay some wood.  

Hope Zibikawski and his $2Million per is gone

/No offense to Zib fans.

//Alot of $$$

///FAR better than Zib

Zbikowski (PS you butchered his name LOL :P) is still a viable backup if LaRon were to get hurt for a game and Zbikowski can contribute on special teams.

I am reserved on this one for 2 reasons. The guy seem to prefer big hits to tackles and we all know what may happen when he misses and second, I am concerned he is not going to stay healthy. I would have preferred Pollard because he seems to stay healthy.

I got to thinking about the health concerns to but he did play in all 16 games last year plus had 100 tackles 

I still think we'll add another solid young corner out of the draft, but now I believe a bit less that it will be with the first round pick. I now agree more with my man Blood On The Tracks that it will probably be a pass rusher or DE.

In the draft I would still love to see Chance Warmack or Johnathon Cooper fall to us. If not, then best DL or OLB available.

New member. Been browsing this forum for a long time. Never took the time to join until now. Free agency has me anxious.

Landry is a big upgrade at one of our most at-need positions. If he can stay healthy, our defense will shock some people. I was hoping for this pickup rather than the Pollard talk. What most folks don't know about pollard is that he's been a disaster in the locker rooms everywhere he's been. Fort Wayne in hs, he left early at Purdue because Tiller practically kicked him out. Houston and Baltimore. Reports are that Baltimore is doing the same that purdue did. So I'm very happy we steered clear of that mess and picked up a more talented and athletic player. Keep building this monster.

Okay I'm loving this signing.... IMO Grigs is doing a great job, filling needs and not paying players on past performances but signing motivated starters to plug holes..... Building this thing the right way, no divas just ball players

If he can duplicate his success in the Draft we will have a solid young core for the next 5 years

Grigson is doing a fantastic job so far and we're still early in the process. Like you said, he is filling needs but not going out and paying mega contracts to the flashiest names. We are also signing guys who can play but who have a lot to prove to detractors out there. That just adds up to a motivated roster who plays for each other. I'm loving his philosophy thus far.

At the same time, he is doing something that the Polian regime hardly ever did and that's sign a big name. LaRon Landry is a BIG get and someone we would have never gotten before. I'm also pleased with his deal. 4 years $24 million w/ 14 mil guaranteed is fine for a player of his caliber.

Totally confirmed -- Wikipedia already has him playing for the colts.  They are pretty fast updating their stats. Here's their write-up.

LaRon Louis Landry (born October 14, 1984) is an American football safety who plays for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Louisiana State University (LSU), and earned All-American honors. The Washington Redskins selected him with the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft

Wikipedia is an open community, anyone can go on and update it

Colts secondary seems to be FS Antoine Bethea, SS LaRon Landry, CB Vontae Davis, CB Greg Toler, Nickel Darius Butler. I like it.

This is what Grigson had to say of Landry, per Mike Chappell:

"We're ecstatic about this signing. We feel LaRon is an absolute game changer and a true impact player. We're talking about a 220-pound safety that runs 4.3 and plays to that speed. His approach to the game and his style of play is lights out and embody the culture we're building on defense and this team."

Now I'm officially clueless on who we'll take with the 1st round. Grigson is definitely keeping me on my toes haha

I think that is his goal in FA is to allow us to do anything we want/need to in the draft ..BPA, trade down, etc ...

Just wrote this on him:

The Indianapolis Colts have signed safety Laron Landry to a 4 year deal.

After drawing a lot of interest from many teams, including the 49ers a team where he visited today, but it was the Indianapolis Colts that got the last laugh. 

Landry is a hard hitting safety who can play in the box and be a threat in coverage. He was a big playmaker for the Redskins, getting a lot of tackles and a few interceptions. He was the star of that defense for a few years. This past year in New York, he was able to break 100 tackles and have 2 interceptions. Those are solid numbers.

Landry has struggled with injuries the last few years. He finished 2010 and 2011 on Injured Reserve and injuries were the reason he left Washington. 

If healthy, Landry is a top 10 safety in this league and one of the more athletic guys around. He has 4.3 speed, which is incredible for a safety, and has fantastic intangibles. He and Bethea make a great pairing and it gives the Colts a true versatile playmaker in the secondary. Bethea, although fantastic, was a run stopper first kind of safety, and needed more improvement in coverage. Landry can help the Colts in every area on defense. 

Landry is expected to be the starter going into training camp and has experienced in Pagano's type of defense. This was a solid signing for the Indianapolis Colts.

The deal is 4 years, 24 million dollars, with 14 million guaranteed. 

Haven't seen him play much coverage, almost entirely a box guy I thought?

Zbikowski (PS you butchered his name LOL :P) is still a viable backup if LaRon were to get hurt for a game and Zbikowski can contribute on special teams.

Yeah,..I sounded it out in my head when I was typing...and you're right.

Backup and on Special Teams...that's fine and good.  As a STARTER?  NOOOOoooooo!  I'd be fine if we kept for for the duties you suggested.  But not as a starter.

/And I'd keep it as close to 'year-to-year' as possible

//He's not horrible...but he's nowhere anywhere even remotely close to Landry

///Same hemisphere = perhaps

I am very excited about our team this year. Landry fits the"build the monster" mentality. I want other teams offence to be scared to get the ball.

He's a little too built though so hopefully he doesnt focus so much on that as the studying game film and improving his coverage with Pagano's help.

Yeah,..I sounded it out in my head when I was typing...and you're right.

Backup and on Special Teams...that's fine and good.  As a STARTER?  NOOOOoooooo!  I'd be fine if we kept for for the duties you suggested.  But not as a starter.

/And I'd keep it as close to 'year-to-year' as possible

//He's not horrible...but he's nowhere anywhere even remotely close to Landry

///Same hemisphere = perhaps

Don't worry. No way he's starting over Landry or Bethea.

Colts secondary seems to be FS Antoine Bethea, SS LaRon Landry, CB Vontae Davis, CB Greg Toler, Nickel Darius Butler. I like it.

This is what Grigson had to say of Landry, per Mike Chappell:

"We're ecstatic about this signing. We feel LaRon is an absolute game changer and a true impact player. We're talking about a 220-pound safety that runs 4.3 and plays to that speed. His approach to the game and his style of play is lights out and embody the culture we're building on defense and this team."

The dude is built like a tank and really only has had the achilles problem.  He's no bob sanders who is five foot nothing and ways 180 and hits like a tank..  I'd be intrigued if Brent Grimes falls much further and we bring him in on a one year incentive laden deal.  Him opposite Vontae would be beast.  Toler as the nickel and butler as the dime!

Haven't seen him play much coverage, almost entirely a box guy I thought?

Plays oustandingly in the box, but is fantastic in coverage. Very underrated. I've done a lot of studying on him. He takes away the deep throws. He did that extremely well in his early years in Washington. Still needs a bit of improvement on one-on-ones, but is getting better.

Don't get me wrong though, he's great in coverage.