Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Money left after Day 1

BProland85

Why is 5m too much for toler?

Because a proven starter and a very good one at that could have been had for only a mil more per year in Vasquez. I think most of these signings were based on what they "could" do on this team, and not what they have proven. That being said, I would think Toler could have been had for around 3 or 4 mil per since he hasnt had great production.

Because a proven starter and a very good one at that could have been had for only a mil more per year in Vasquez. I think most of these signings were based on what they "could" do on this team, and not what they have proven. That being said, I would think Toler could have been had for around 3 or 4 mil per since he hasnt had great production.

I agree.  Plus he has trouble staying healthy per write-up on NFL.com under Colts

I have read nothing but good things about Toler..and that was before he signed...and im not sure how you judge corner production. I highly doubt toler could of been had for 3m

The team is not nearly done.   If they don't land Avril then go get a CB...  or S, or a WR...     

The draft still looms....        I am very pleased with what has happened, Indy basically scored 3 starters.   And more importantly a T and G.

Heck Indy could have signed Long and Levitre and then only have HALF its cap room left.       Still needing a CB and DL/LB depth.

Everyone was wanting Indy to be frugal and "spend wisely" so they do it and folks are disappointed?   

What did some of you really expect?

You really don't know how much we have left to spend. Would need to see what the cap hits are for 2013. I know you all will continue to just divide the contracts by the number of years and add up the numbers. That's because very few read a thread ... they just post to it.

I am definitely thrilled about the pick. Certainly an upgrade, and hopefully a mauler with that 6' 7" 325 body of his. If the price is at market value, I can't complain. I read somewhere that he told his agent prior to free agency that Indy was one of his desired destinations, so he seems to be motivated. Who wouldn't want to ditch Detroit

You really don't know how much we have left to spend. Would need to see what the cap hits are for 2013. I know you all will continue to just divide the contracts by the number of years and add up the numbers. That's because very few read a thread ... they just post to it.

Understood but I guess it is the most logical reasoning to divide by number of years as we don't have access to contract specifics.

I would understand the logic in front-loading the contracts in anticipation of long-term strengthening and the big contracts that, hopefully, we will be forced to pay our rookie offensive players due to their success.

At the same time, back-loading could help us get everything we need now.

Nothing to do but speculate at this point I guess.

Understood but I guess it is the most logical reasoning to divide by number of years as we don't have access to contract specifics.

I would understand the logic in front-loading the contracts in anticipation of long-term strengthening and the big contracts that, hopefully, we will be forced to pay our rookie offensive players due to their success.

At the same time, back-loading could help us get everything we need now.

Nothing to do but speculate at this point I guess.

Maybe close to the truth but maybe not even close. Lets say we sign two more free agents and "only" have another 2 mill in cap space to spend on a free agent. That figure would really not be too releveant to what we could afford to spend. You could give a player a 5 year deal with a 7 mill signing bonus and then do some guaranteed roster bonuses going forward. Add to the equation a small 2013 base and you could sign a player to a 5 year 60 mill deal. If you look at the Colts going forward ... in two years you will not have anyone on the present roster other than Cherliuis , V Davis and Luck making 5 mill + per year. I'm assuming Bethea and Mathis will be gone. So the Colts really have so much flexability cap wise that they can be really aggresive with signngs. Also you could get a decent kick to the cap with the new TV deal.

Maybe close to the truth but maybe not even close. Lets say we sign two more free agents and "only" have another 2 mill in cap space to spend on a free agent. That figure would really not be too releveant to what we could afford to spend. You could give a player a 5 year deal with a 7 mill signing bonus and then do some guaranteed roster bonuses going forward. Add to the equation a small 2013 base and you could sign a player to a 5 year 60 mill deal. If you look at the Colts going forward ... in two years you will not have anyone on the present roster other than Cherliuis , V Davis and Luck making 5 mill + per year. I'm assuming Bethea and Mathis will be gone. So the Colts really have so much flexability cap wise that they can be really aggresive with signngs. Also you could get a decent kick to the cap with the new TV deal.

True, and I guess it's all down to strategy, both in the long-term and short-term. However, I would imagine there will be some degree of continuity. It may be silly to look four years in the future, but at that point, Luck can expect a huge deal, some analysts seem to project an extra $30mill in cap space at that point, which could take care of that, and I would imagine Luck would be open to letting us structure his contract in whatever way is best for the team.

I sort of like the idea of paying guys now, and giving us the maximum opportunity going forward when both our offense and defense is more developed, both the system and players. But then the question of people being motivated to play when their money is made comes up.

True, and I guess it's all down to strategy, both in the long-term and short-term. However, I would imagine there will be some degree of continuity. It may be silly to look four years in the future, but at that point, Luck can expect a huge deal, some analysts seem to project an extra $30mill in cap space at that point, which could take care of that, and I would imagine Luck would be open to letting us structure his contract in whatever way is best for the team.

I sort of like the idea of paying guys now, and giving us the maximum opportunity going forward when both our offense and defense is more developed, both the system and players. But then the question of people being motivated to play when their money is made comes up.

We have Luck signed through the next 4 years. The last (team option) will be at the average of the 10 highest paid QB's. Then we pay through the beek.

In no way is it silly to look 4 years into the future. Or farther. That is how a good FO keeps a team relevant over the long haul.

And thanks for mentioning the motivation inherent in a back loaded contract. While there would be future cap benefits to getting large chunks of contracts out of the way now, front loading can lead to problems with players pushing for renegotiations, sitting out, getting apathetic, and generally becoming locker room cancers. Possibly.

My estimates:

Walden: 3.5M

Cherilus: 5M

Toler: 4.5M

Butler: 1.5M

Sidbury: 800K

Thomas: 2M

That adds up to 17.3M and about 25M left. 

Just my guess, but that's based on their contract, and for some of them, my guess on their contract. 

My estimates:

Walden: 3.5M

Cherilus: 5M

Toler: 4.5M

Butler: 1.5M

Sidbury: 800K

Thomas: 2M

That adds up to 17.3M and about 25M left. 

Just my guess, but that's based on their contract, and for some of them, my guess on their contract.

How much of those 25M do we need for draftpicks? 

Heck Indy could have signed Long and Levitre and then only have HALF its cap room left.       Still needing a CB and DL/LB depth.

Everyone was wanting Indy to be frugal and "spend wisely" so they do it and folks are disappointed?   

What did some of you really expect?

PREACH!