Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 Starting Running Back For The Colts Is......

ED29_1659yards

2013 Starting Running Back For The Colts  

94 members have voted

1. 1. With this new offense, who gives us the best chance to win?

As of today,....i accept the fact that the Colts will not be drafting/taking Eddie Lacy, or another running back, possibly, until the later rounds. Having said that, i wanted to take a vote, and get some other view points, on which Colts RB will earn the starting job this season. With all respect due, Vick Ballard earned his keep, and a shot, to be the Colts featured back, in 2013. However, watching him play last season, im still not convinced he has the tools the Colts need to make our oppenents shift their scheme, which would give the Colts the proper balance against the stronger oppenents on the Colts schedule. So having said that, as he prepares for an injury free season, im endorsing this guy....

2856107609_6f3518fe7d.jpg

I picked Ballard simply because I believe that Donald Brown would be our "3rd Down Back" so to speak because he can be the change of pace back. After tough running by Ballard, I believe Brown could come in for some RB screens or swing passes to get him in the open field.

This is just my opinion on what will happen

Ballard earned it. Had he been the starter from Day 1, he would have gotten (projection) just over 1000 yards.

He definitely outshined Brown this year, but I'd like to see Brown have a rotational role. He did well in that role with Addai a few years ago.

I said before last year that he would be the starter by midseason, and I was right. Now, it's only going to get better for Vick.

ballard is the much tougher runner. he can go inside and get the tough yards and he can also take it outside. brown just isnt tough enough in my opinion. too indecisive and dances around too much waiting for the hole instead of running through it. change of pace back nothing more.

Ballard is the man for the number 1 back position.  Or is he?

That was a teaser!  He to me earned the number 1.  That said:  Donald Brown should come in and make for some great competition!  Ballard needs to come in to camp in shape and declare that position his!  Both have to be ready to get this team to the next level.

There is nothing like good competition...it will only make our team better!!!  Go  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I choose Ballard.  

Brown is not a fast, change of pace back in the sense that I would want.  I think of Sproles or Reggie Bush juking defenders while they get a big gain. Heck, Bush did that very thing against us and it was incredible.  Donald isn't capable of that.      

I have backed Donald Brown as our starter for the last 4 seasons. It time to back the proven back. Vick Ballard. I do not think is the long term answer at RB, but he is the option we have.

It still makes me sick that the Colts could have drafted Hakeem Nicks, and instead we opted for Donald Brown.

Ballard. I'm still kicking and screaming because we passed over Beanie Wells for Brown. I know Wells hasn't exactly been Adrian Peterson but man was I ticked when that pick happened. "Donald Brown? wth?"

also passed over mo-jo drew for Joe addai, but we did pass on Ricky Williams for edged so you win some and lose some

Ballard. I'm still kicking and screaming because we passed over Beanie Wells for Brown. I know Wells hasn't exactly been Adrian Peterson but man was I ticked when that pick happened. "Donald Brown? wth?"

Shady McCoy as well.

Man, this is more of a landslide voting than it would be if you asked who you'd want as a QB between Mark Sanchez & Peyton Manning :lol:

Based on the votes, i think DBrown is going to end up as trade bait in the very near, excuse me, in the immediate future....Im not mad about everyone voting against me, i did think that by now, after several hours, at least one fan would've have agreed with me out of kindness. Our colts brothers & sisters really love Ballard. This is so :lol: , but a little.... :facepalm: . Im standing with my vote. I think he'll win the job in the off-season, get injured and lose it to Ballard in the regular season, again.....

I still dont understand the logic of Ballard averaging  4.1 ypc through 12 games to Browns 4.0ypc in 4 starts is a clear win for Ballard(Because of Brown getting injured)....Plus there is the fact that Ballard literally had only 7 more receptions then Brown, Both Backs would be much much much better going forward if we had a decent O Line but this Ballard is a clear starter going forward (Unless Brown is not healthy).

I still dont understand the logic of Ballard averaging 4.1 ypc through 12 games to Browns 4.0ypc in 4 starts is a clear win for Ballard(Because of Brown getting injured)....Plus there is the fact that Ballard literally had only 7 more receptions then Brown, Both Backs would be much much much better going forward if we had a decent O Line but this Ballard is a clear starter going forward (Unless Brown is not healthy).

It might have something to do with Brown not being able to carry the ball over 150 times without getting injured.

It might have something to do with Brown not being able to carry the ball over 150 times without being injured.

Possible but neither Back are what you would call BIG Backs Ballard and Brown are 5'10" with Ballard having a 7lb weight advantage, Although getting Browns autograph at training camp last year makes me seriously question that 5'10", Ill see Ballard when TC kicks up again I assume, I just see skill wise that both could be good starters with Brown getting the advantage going into TC because of his pass blocking ability(Although I question how much our rb's will be asked to pass block in Peps version of the WCO and not go out for a short pass or a run)

Ballard.

But the problem is the O-line, so either guy will work if we get the o-line straight.

Any RB will work behind an oline. That's why I honestly don't care who's in the backfield. Get a line, & we're fine. (Should make that a slogan lol)

As long as the RB doesn't have fumbling issues, he'll be fine behind a good oline

IMO theres no doubt who it will be Ballard not only earned it ,I expect him to be much better this year,also fully expect to have the OL to open more lanes for him :thmup: cant wait to see who we come up with,and would also like to say good luck to big Ben Ijalanas rehab,would love to see what you can actually do