Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't blame the defence in this loss.

tfunky14

If you were tell me the Colts defence would give up 24 points I would have taken that. I'm more disappointed in that the offence couldn't score more points . Luck and company controlled the clock, had more yards but couldn't finish drives of with TD's. The Colts need to work on red zone opportunities and be more efficient next year.

But in saying all that I'm please in what I saw this year and look forward to 2013 and years to come.

Of course not. It would be ridiculous for anyone to expect a win where the offense only scores 9 points. 

I'm happy we got this far and can't wait for next year. But I am also dissapointed that they didn't play their best in the most important game.  

We're definitely trending upwards, so I'm not going to linger too long on today's game. No unit was without fault. There were some positives to the D (turnovers, Vontae Davis), but we just gave up too many big plays starting at the end of the first half. Boldin and Flacco stepped up and made the plays they had to that put the game out of reach. 

If we improved our red zone scoring, even with the myriad of mistakes today (both offensive and defensive), we're in a position to win at the end. That's got to be one of the main focuses of the offense this offseason.

We have one in Fleener. Hopefully next year, he'll be a red zone threat.

Throw high Andrew!

We do have Fleener and he needs utilized more next season. We also have griffin on the squad who looked like an excellents hands guy and possession guy. An offseason of work should get these guys better in tune and a better gameplan. An oline will help here as well.

We gave up some pretty big plays at times.......but, sometimes I think I underestimate the Ravens offense and Flacco too. (ugh I hate saying that)

But, our offense was not helping the cause either not being able to get TDs.

Oh well, it is what it is. Sigh. I really wanted this ride to continue so I am bummed but I am really looking forward to next season, it is too far away though! :)

It was a team loss. We did the best we could and fought till the end. We WILL be back. Many times. :)

We gave up some pretty big plays at times.......but, sometimes I think I underestimate the Ravens offense and Flacco too. (ugh I hate saying that)

But, our offense was not helping the cause either not being able to get TDs.

Oh well, it is what it is. Sigh. I really wanted this ride to continue so I am bummed but I am really looking forward to next season, it is too far away though! :)

It was a team loss. We did the best we could and fought till the end. We WILL be back. Many times. :)

Flacco does play better in the playoffs. After today's game, I feel slightly better about my preseason prediction of the Philly Bowl(Ryan vs Flacco)

Flacco does play better in the playoffs. After today's game, I feel slightly better about my preseason prediction of the Philly Bowl(Ryan vs Flacco)

he has had a lot of bad games in the playoffs. i think he will have one in denver next week against a much better defense.

Are you a long lost Mayan? We could have won this game. Your comment is just...blah.

I said prior to the game starting - the second they announced BA was not going to be there that this would be a loss;  not sure that means I am long lost Mayan - just not blind!

We do have Fleener and he needs utilized more next season. We also have griffin on the squad who looked like an excellents hands guy and possession guy. An offseason of work should get these guys better in tune and a better gameplan. An oline will help here as well.

Did you mean Griff Whalen?  He did catch everything in training camp....including the injury bug :)

I do not blame them for the loss, but they did not help the cause because they could not get any pressure on Flaco, did not contain Rice, and other then Davis could not cover any of their receivers. We definitely have some work to do this offseason to improve the pass rush and defensive backs.<br />

It sounds like a (anyway well deserved) blame. Pass coverage was awful*, and Ravens capitalized this in the second half.

However D cannot be blamed alone for this loss, O must have it's share too.

* I mean Davis did well, Vaughn failed, Butler at least tried...

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

I expected the ravens to score 24 points. They were at home where the play well and usually put up points, so 24 was okay with me.

I expected the Colts to score 31 against a weaker Ravens defense..Too many missed opportunities to keep drives going and to score TD's, not field goals.

I agree, D did not not lose it.  But they also did not help.  The huge deep passes are confidence killers and field position or scoring disadavantage.  Ravens average 25 pts/gm. we give up just over 24 pts/gm.  In a playoff, Colts D had an average day in an arena where D needs to step it up a notch.  OTOH, the Baltimaore D stepped up and caused a team of rookies and 1st year Vets into mistakes at critical junctures.  I credit their D as much as offense ineptitude this day.  Sometimes, you just have to tip your cap toward your opponent.

We will get better, and be more experienced next year.  And this playoff exposure/loss is just a part of it all.

I think all 3 phases of the team share blame and that includes the defense. One guy above mentioned that he was fine with only allowing 24 points but i think one of the biggest plays of the game happened on a drive where the Raven's didn't even score a point. Right after a Mathis sack the Ravens faced a 3rd and 19 from around the 10 yard line and completed a 40 yard pass and completely flipped field position. A stop there really could have helped the offense.

Most times it's a team effort in a playoff loss. I will say that 6 plays over 40 yards is unacceptable. Half the Ravens yardage came on a handful of plays. The defense was very culpable in this game. Not playing the ball, letting the Ravens flip the field with a 3rd and 19 from their own 3 yard line was to me a key, key play in the game.

Did you mean Griff Whalen? He did catch everything in training camp....including the injury bug :)

Yes Whalen, knew I wasn't getting it correct. Thanks. I really think he was a PS/IR stash for next year. Was that injury really that bad? We had a wr glut. Good problems to have.

Yes Whalen, knew I wasn't getting it correct. Thanks. I really think he was a PS/IR stash for next year. Was that injury really that bad? We had a wr glut. Good problems to have.

I am pretty sure it was a broken leg.....so he had to have taken a good lick.....I was actually 'pleasantly surprised' by Whalen.  Some of his catches reminded me of Collie a little bit;  he ran crisp routes and caught everything near him.