Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

De John Chick Waived/said 'no' To Colts, Signed With Jaguars

bayone

Not too sure about that. He's not a young guy. He's probably peaked in his career. I think he was just a hair too slow for a speed rusher and a little too small for a run stopper.

I wish him well.

I agree, that, and im not even sure he is PS eligible. These are the reasons why I said he wouldn't make the team, espesially his age and the fact that he has reached his potential.

I will miss him on special teams more than anything. I really think we should have kept a few special teams players on our roster. Cutting Chick, James, Taj, and Gilreath on the ps shows we are still not emphasizing the importance on special teams. I wish Chick the best though. I was a fan of his and wish he could have got some playing time.

Well that probably means Hughes made the final cut. They could go with Freeney, Mathis, Anderson, and Brayton but that leaves you with only two pass rushers out of the group since Brayton and Anderson are mostly run stoppers.

I don't why Chick comes to camp year after year. He has proven he does not posses NFL level talent. He waste his and the team's time year after year by taking up a camp roster spot that could be given to a more talented person (IMO).

I don't why Chick comes to camp year after year. He has proven he does not posses NFL level talent. He waste his and the team's time year after year by taking up a camp roster spot that could be given to a more talented person (IMO).

This was only his second year here...

Lots of guys get more than one year in the pre-season. This was Taj Smith's third year in camp with us for example. If Mathis, Freeney or Hughes goes down I'd almost bet Chick is the guy we bring in to replace them. We've just been realtively healthy at the D-end spot the last couple of years.

its sad that we keep losing defensive players to the jags but hopefully tyler brayton will prove why we allowed him to let him walk im still pretty excited about our defense this year i just wish kevin thomas or tryon would push lacey to nickle situations

I really liked John Chick. I think he had potential but he never got a real chance. Im interested in the fact that the Colts were able to cut such good players on the D line in Harris and Chick. Also cutting Taj was a real suprise to me. Im sure that the coaches who were at the games and practices know what they are doing but from what I saw on TV all these guys were great.

its sad that we keep losing defensive players to the jags but hopefully tyler brayton will prove why we allowed him to let him walk im still pretty excited about our defense this year i just wish kevin thomas or tryon would push lacey to nickle situations

hunh? Did you mean Brayton will prove why we kept Brayton over Chick? Other wise I am not sure what you mean because Brayton is still on the roster...

I wanted to highlight this because it kind of gets to the heart of what I'm talking about when I rant about the Colts keeping scrubs because they were first day picks over better, overall talent regardless of draft stock...

... John Chick pretty thoroughly outplayed 2010 first round pick Jerry Hughes during training camp and preseason. This was especially true in the Colts third preseason game, where Chick was routinely in the Packersbackfield, fighting off holds from Chad Clifton that were so obvious a blind monkey with an ax embedded in his skull could have seen them and thrown yellow.

Chick also had 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks in four exhibition games.

Meanwhile, all throughout preseason, Hughes was getting stoned in one-on-one match-ups with third string tackles, to say nothing of the beatdown he took going up against first stringers. Rodger Saffold, the man the Colts passed over to take Hughes in 2010, dominated the former-TCU standout in the Colts first preseason game.

When it came time to cut down from 80 players to 53, the Colts opted to keep Hughes and cut Chick, who, at 28, had shown real progress from last year when he came to the NFL as a rookie free agent after leading the CFL in sacks.

This decision from the Colts did not seem to sit well with Chick. From TSN[emphasis mine]:

Former CFL Most Outstanding Defensive Player John Chick, who was waived by the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday, has found a new team.

Chick was added to the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice roster on Sunday

after turning down a practice roster spot with the Colts.

According to Chick's representatives, they feel that the 28-year-old defensive end has a better chance to be activated this season in Jacksonville.

Sure enough, John Chick was activated from the Jaguars practice squad today.

Also, it shouldn't matter where Hughes was drafted. We just saw the Patriots dump Brandon Meriweather (first round, 2007) and Darius Butler (second round, 2009). Didn't matter where those guys were taken. They stunk. Thus, they're gone. Why are they gone? Because the other guys outplayed them and are better!

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/7/2410329/john-chick-said-no-to-colts-signed-with-jaguars

I dont get why the Colts are so hung up about 1st round talent. This is the same team that has Jeff Saturday and Vinatiari - both undrafted free agents, yet both are, respectfully, the best at their position.

Now with the Colts signing/attempting so many 1st round draft picks in Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes, and other teams wasted 1st rounders in Jamaal Anderson and Sims, it makes you wonder if the Colts are too hung up by draft status titles and blinded by real on-field talent. In short, their evaluators suck (ie. Caldwell sucks). Belichick would have deciphered the on-field clues much better. For example, Belichick realized both Welker and Woodhead - despite being undersized - boast tenacity and speed.

I just think Caldwell and the staff are going with 1st round picks because its an easy shortcut.

I dont get why the Colts are so hung up about 1st round talent. This is the same team that has Jeff Saturday and Vinatiari - both undrafted free agents, yet both are, respectfully, the best at their position.

Now with the Colts signing/attempting so many 1st round draft picks in Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes, and other teams wasted 1st rounders in Jamaal Anderson and Sims, it makes you wonder if the Colts are too hung up by draft status titles and blinded by real on-field talent. In short, their evaluators suck (ie. Caldwell sucks). Belichick would have deciphered the on-field clues much better. For example, Belichick realized both Welker and Woodhead - despite being undersized - boast tenacity and speed.

I just think Caldwell and the staff are going with 1st round picks because its a lame mans way out of really doing the homework.

To be fair, Polian did recognize Collie, Bethea, Mathis all in rounds 4 and later. Sims and Anderson could have been players used incorrectly and as role players had bigger upside than as starters.

I just think Caldwell and the staff are going with 1st round picks because its an easy shortcut.

agree my friend and the repetitiveness of this situation shows its not an isolated incidence but a staff tendency

I don't think this is a first RD thing I think Hughes is bigger & younger. I will say this though Chick should have made the team over Bratten. He played against the 1's & played well against the pass & run. Hum Jacksonville. Might come back to bite us in the *!!!!!! Ah poetic justice :whatever: IMO we made to stupid cuts Chick & Devan just not smart either one.

First of all, if Chick outplayed Hueghs in the preseason, when you take into account the last game, it wasn't by much, With Chick we know what we have, he is 27? and not getting any better. Hughes is a second year player with much more talent. Weather or not he reaches his potential is another story, but it would be foolish to cut Hueghs in place of Chick.

AS far as stubornly sticking with draft picks, that's complete nonsense from BBS. They didn't stick with Ugoh did they? Pollack was a late second rounder so I don't think there is too much Polian pride tied up in him. He is also the second best Center on the team and an OK back up guard.

Brown's days may be numbered but he has shown enough in real NFL games to warrant a LAST chance. We are not going to cut him in favor of J James.

This whole idea that Polian keeps guys around because of his ego is silly. If that was the case, Hayden and Jackson would be still on the team Doss and Jennings would have never left, etc. The Colts are noted for giving UDFA's and late round picks the chance to play.

We are dealing with young human beings here. knowing when to give up on them is about as unexact a science as there is. Don't buy into this anti Polian nonsense. In people like BBS' minds, if Hueghs turns into the next D Freeny he will still suck because he is Polians Boy.

One there is no round bias from the Colts.

Brackett started over 1st rounder Morris

The Colts had a couple of receivers start over Wayne the first couple of years.

Pollard started over Clark his rookie year.

Bethea started over Doss.

Even last year when Addai went down, Hart got the start over Brown.

There is just some examples.

Two: The idea that Chick outplayed Hughes in the preseason is pretty much a joke (although I would not expect anything less from Stampede Blue). Chick was often manhandled by both tackles and TE and FBs. He offered very little in run support. He has a good motor and is active but rarely did that lead to any type of impact play. His one sack happened when the tackle fell down and he was able to run to the QB untouched... and no the tackle did not fall because of Chick.

And he was correct, he had a much better chance of being activated with Jax. Jax is not a very good team and they have shown over the last couple of years they are not very good at picking DEs.

He definitely has upside, even if he is older. He plays 100 percent, something I can't say i have seen out of hughes. But I do agree, in a sense, that we have an affinity to sometimes give certain guys more chances than they deserve, especially ealy picks. Ugoh was given too many chances, he doesnt want to part ways with Gonzo (I wouldnt at this point either) Hughes has been kept now instead of a guy who would really fight for his roster spot

Really, I think he knows these guys he drafted has alot of talent so he wants them to have a chance to show their value. Maybe the years and years of first round pick successes has blinded him into thinking that EVERY first round player has to be a contributor. That would make some sense to me

This is an article that kind of summarizes when you can really expect a 1st round DE to contribute:

http://www.18to88.com/2011-archives/august/how-soon-is-too-soon-to-judge-jerry-hughes.html

Year 3 is when most of them start contributing to the rotation. Pass rushing is one of the hardest things to transition from college to the NFL. If Jerry Hughes still does not produce heavily in the rotation next year, that is when the Colts start looking at it more closely if he is worth the roster spot, IMO.

Having said that, RB, on the other hand is one of the easiest to contribute. That is why Donald Brown on the roster still puzzles me :).

One there is no round bias from the Colts.

Brackett started over 1st rounder Morris

The Colts had a couple of receivers start over Wayne the first couple of years.

Pollard started over Clark his rookie year.

Bethea started over Doss.

Even last year when Addai went down, Hart got the start over Brown.

There is just some examples.

Two: The idea that Chick outplayed Hughes in the preseason is pretty much a joke (although I would not expect anything less from Stampede Blue). Chick was often manhandled by both tackles and TE and FBs. He offered very little in run support. He has a good motor and is active but rarely did that lead to any type of impact play. His one sack happened when the tackle fell down and he was able to run to the QB untouched... and no the tackle did not fall because of Chick.

And he was correct, he had a much better chance of being activated with Jax. Jax is not a very good team and they have shown over the last couple of years they are not very good at picking DEs.

Honestly Coffee I know you watch the tape,as I do, but my god Chick did outplay Hughes!! Watch the GB game again. Chick wasn't perfect but gave Clifton, mind you an ALL PRO TACKLE FITS all day long & even was held repeatably.

Chick is a great story and a hard worker, but he's a fringe player with no upside. If the team were so bad that Chick and Hughes were competing for a starting spot, than maybe you'd start Chick and work Hughes in slowly. But for a playoff caliber team debating fringe roster positions - you keep the kid with the enormous upside that you're in the middle of developing. In three years Hughes MAY be a star, or he MAY be a fringe player. We don't know. But in three years Chick WILL be a fringe player, or out of the league entirely. He's a fringe player now and I can't see him suddenly getting bigger or faster. I don't understand why people are so enthralled with him. The real debate should be whether he should have been kept over Brayton - but that's all about stopping the run better, and I love their experiment. I see no rational argument for keeping Chick.

Speaking of rational arguments, what is it with Stampede Blue anyway? I'm sure that all player decisions are made on a sound football and financial basis. Polian may be a little bombastic, but he is about the most rational, level headed and successful front office executive that it has ever been my pleasure to support. Doubting his integrity and concluding that everything he does is a reflection of some imagined personality flaw is utter nonsense.

I have no idea how much BBS knows about football, but what IS obvious is that many of his articles reflect a personal and incredibly un-objective bias against Polian. He seems to think that they are equals having an endless and juvenile flame war. It is painful to witness.

Perhaps somewhere along the line he sought a pat on the head from Polian and got a rude smackdown instead. I say this because he writes like his ego has been bruised, and so he unrelentingly and unjustifiably accuses Polian of common human failings while simultaneously and ironically demonstrating identical (or worse) traits himself. They aren't equals, and while he has every right to offer up his opinion for our entertainment, his tantrums when Polian doesn't happen to comply with his wishes are both comical and sad.

Polian may not be particularly respectful towards the media, but he is unrelentingly honest and forthright, and detailed and informative. I learn something most everytime I read his words. The only thing I learn reading BBSs words is that he has a lot of growing up to do.

Chick made the right decision for his career. He wouldn't get much playing time behind Freeney and Mathis and he is more likely to get playing time in Jacksonville. I don't see why people are so mad, the Colts did offer him a spot on the roster, he just declined (as the article puts it) because he wouldn't get lots of playing time. It's not like the Colts didn't try to keep him

its funny how everyone thinks they know more than Polian about our players because they rewatched the game lol You ever stop and think about how many our staff watched Chick and Hughes in practice? there is 0 chance that Chick would be a future star a DE for us after Mathis/Freeney is gone and Hughes has the potential to be that guy. The only thing that would hurt Polian's ego (or whatever the heck u people are talking about) is if the DE we cut is an probowler and the one we kept ends up getting cut next year. Polian is not always gonna be right but WE ALL have to admit that he has inside information that we do not have and a lot of experience. In Polian I trust, GO HUGHES and * john chick!

I'm sure Chick can't wait too play us just too show B.Polian he made a mistake!

The Colts brought Chick in when no other team in the NFL wanted him. It's my understanding that even though he was on the PS he was getting paid more than an average PS player. The Colts had him play against #1 players, which gave other teams an indication of his talent. That upped his value.

Sure, he'll want to show the Colts what they missed, but I'd say he's very grateful to them.

Some of the reasons why Chick was cut have already been mentioned, but apparently need repeated. First of all, Chick is almost 29 yrs. old and has reached his full potential. What you seen is what you get. With Hughes, he is 23 yrs. old and only in his 2nd yr. with a lot more potential. 2nd of all, The Colts wanted to keep 2 bigger DE's for a better run defense, plus either one can slide inside to the DT posistion and still be effective. Lastly, They already have Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes who are essentially the same type of players. 3 fast pass rushing ends. It made no sense what so ever to keep Chick who would have been the 4th guy in the same type players. Its not the fact that they didn't want Chick, he was just caught up in a numbers game and Chick was the logical choice to be cut.