Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

possible targets the colts could go after in FA

betheafan41

i was reading bleacher report earlier and they listed these guys as possible FA targets in the off season fort he colts....

Anthony Spencer ( OLB )

Aqib Talib (CB)

Kenny Phillips (Safety)

Wes Welker (WR)

Glenn Dorsey (DE)

Michael Johnson (DE/OLB)

Conner Barwin (OLB)

Ryan Clady (OT)

Mike Wallace (WR)

VICTOR CRUZ (WR)

i personaly wouldnt mind seeing Spencer,Johnson,Clady and Victor cruz in a colts uniform next year.

BUT if i had to choose what to spend FA on i would say offense.

Ryan Clady, Mike Wallace or Victor Cruz and then go with Spencer or Philips on defense. use the draft for mostly defensive players...

Thoughts??

i was reading bleacher report earlier and they listed these guys as possible FA targets in the off season fort he colts....

Anthony Spencer ( OLB )

Aqib Talib (CB)

Kenny Phillips (Safety)

Wes Welker (WR)

Glenn Dorsey (DE)

Michael Johnson (DE/OLB)

Conner Barwin (OLB)

Ryan Clady (OT)

Mike Wallace (WR)

VICTOR CRUZ (WR)

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a few of these guys. They're not all our biggest needs, but they are needs. I'd rather not pick up Welker (age), but I'm not ruling out Wallace or Bowe yet. Also no guards?

I was wondering the same thing. as i said its what i found on the colts page on bleacher report. and the writer of the article did not mention any guards. that and he only mentioned on Corner. and i forgot all about bowe being a FA.

Safety we all suspect, will be a target for next year.

Kind of a waste to spend time naming names of who will be available come FA time.

Not that I don`t feel a tinge of excitement thinking about a better roster for next season.

We have every reason to believe the Monster is coming! :thmup:

some reason i have a feeling it would be better to address the safety position in the draft. I really like TJ Slaughter from ND (could be had in the middle rounds) and the safety from USC (who will be had in the first

I was wondering the same thing. as i said its what i found on the colts page on bleacher report. and the writer of the article did not mention any guards. that and he only mentioned on Corner. and i forgot all about bowe being a FA.

mcglynn has been solid. get reitz healthy and link has been better each week. guards are fine.

Personally I hope Grigs takes more of a money ball approach, not going for the big money older player. But spread the wealth for solid first and second line players. Yes, we will need to get the next Reggie. I'd rather get that guy in the draft and work him in.

Except for QB, LT, and Reggie, just about every other position could be upgraded or better backed up.

mcglynn has been solid. get reitz healthy and link has been better each week. guards are fine.

This is an interesting take because when healthy those 3 make a pretty decent guard rotation.

I keep pondering whether or not the interior linemen need to be overhauled or do they just need

more time to jell together? Time will tell I suppose. I would be mildly surprised if they didn't address

the OL in the draft, but it wouldn't shock me. The only real change I want to see as of right now in

regards to personnel is replacing Satele with Shipley.

I'm going to let the season play out before I make my determination.

This is an interesting take because when healthy those 3 make a pretty decent guard rotation.

I keep pondering whether or not the interior linemen need to be overhauled or do they just need

more time to jell together? Time will tell I suppose. I would be mildly surprised if they didn't address

the OL in the draft, but it wouldn't shock me. The only real change I want to see as of right now in

regards to personnel is replacing Satele with Shipley.

I'm going to let the season play out before I make my determination.

The OL and the QB are the only positions that doesn't rotate.

Must be a slow day. If we all had a dollar for every time someone starts one of these Free Agent or Draft Pick threads we'd all be rich!!

Guys like Clady and Long are not going to be on the market. Franchise Tagged or signed long term. Don't see the Giants letting Cruz leave. At some point this becomes little more than wishful thinking.

Spencer, I like. Good fit. Barwin I like, if the Texans let him go. Not sure they will. Same with Phillips. Not sure the Giants let him walk out the door.

Guys like Wallace and Bowe barely interest me. They've both reportedly turned down $10+ Mill per year for 5 years. If the teams that know them aren't offering more, why should we?

Talib, no thanks. Too much off the field baggage.

Dorsey and Johnson? Maybe. Depends on the price.

I've said this before, but I think it's worth repeating. Even with $40+ mill to spend next year, we are not going to solve all our problems with just next years FA and draft class. It will take more than one more year. We've got lots and lots of issues. All that doesn't get fixed in just one more year.

Must be a slow day. If we all had a dollar for every time someone starts one of these Free Agent or Draft Pick threads we'd all be rich!!

Guys like Clady and Long are not going to be on the market. Franchise Tagged or signed long term. Don't see the Giants letting Cruz leave. At some point this becomes little more than wishful thinking.

Spencer, I like. Good fit. Barwin I like, if the Texans let him go. Not sure they will. Same with Phillips. Not sure the Giants let him walk out the door.

Guys like Wallace and Bowe barely interest me. They've both reportedly turned down $10+ Mill per year for 5 years. If the teams that know them aren't offering more, why should we?

Talib, no thanks. Too much off the field baggage.

Dorsey and Johnson? Maybe. Depends on the price.

I've said this before, but I think it's worth repeating. Even with $40+ mill to spend next year, we are not going to solve all our problems with just next years FA and draft class. It will take more than one more year. We've got lots and lots of issues. All that doesn't get fixed in just one more year.

One thing one must consider when "tagging" a player... does he want to be There?

And a team can only TAG .. ONE player.

Miami and Denver are on the come... so I really doubt Indy will have a shot... But, they are worth stabbing at.

And Welker, He is a perfect fit for this team. This is the one move I have projected that I really hope happens.

Spend wisely on the OL... and Draft D and this team will be back in 2013.

It's certainly very possible those guys don't hit the market, but it's also going to take their current team having the money to resign or tag them, and when it comes to the franchise tag, left tackle is probably the second most expensive position to tag. I have no idea what Denver's and Miami's cap situation will look like next year but it's not impossible to think one of them may not have the money to re-sign one of those players. There are a number of other good linemen that will also be available.

The guys I think we'll go after hardest are Mike Wallace and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I think they'll also go heavy after OL free agents. I could see us going after any of these guys: Sebastian Vollmer, Long, Clady, Duane Brown, and Andre Smith.

I'd like to try to go after Conner Barwin or maybe Cliff Avril.

these are all based off of what I've read are currently scheduled to be free agents after this year, but there will be others we don't currently know about who could be cut due to cap restraints.

I personally have no interest in Wes Welker. Guy is definitely towards the back end of his career and would be a stop-gap only. Why take away playing time from the young receivers we brought in and stunt their development? Not worth it in my opinion.

One thing one must consider when "tagging" a player... does he want to be There?

And a team can only TAG .. ONE player.

Miami and Denver are on the come... so I really doubt Indy will have a shot... But, they are worth stabbing at.

And Welker, He is a perfect fit for this team. This is the one move I have projected that I really hope happens.

Spend wisely on the OL... and Draft D and this team will be back in 2013.

Worth stabbing at?? Heck, they're worth having at a big cost.

I just don't think they'll be available. Why would they be? But, if for some strange reason they become available, then I think we'll do much more than make a stab at them. I think we'll make a HUGE run at them and make them a priority.

Doesn't mean we'll get them. But I'd expect an all out blitz (to keep it football terms!)

As for Welker.... I suppose he'd be a nice fit in the slot to replace Collie. Again, depends on how many dollars and how many years....

Worth stabbing at?? Heck, they're worth having at a big cost.

I just don't think they'll be available. Why would they be? But, if for some strange reason they become available, then I think we'll do much more than make a stab at them. I think we'll make a HUGE run at them and make them a priority.

Doesn't mean we'll get them. But I'd expect an all out blitz (to keep it football terms!)

As for Welker.... I suppose he'd be a nice fit in the slot to replace Collie. Again, depends on how many dollars and how many years....

Welker is a difference maker. Period... ask NE and Brady. He will be 32, and BB does not want him. GET HIM JIM.

He is a way proven commodity. And is STILL playing at a high level.

"nice fit for Collie?" really? He would be an All Pro Upgrade.

It's certainly very possible those guys don't hit the market, but it's also going to take their current team having the money to resign or tag them, and when it comes to the franchise tag, left tackle is probably the second most expensive position to tag. I have no idea what Denver's and Miami's cap situation will look like next year but it's not impossible to think one of them may not have the money to re-sign one of those players. There are a number of other good linemen that will also be available.

The guys I think we'll go after hardest are Mike Wallace and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I think they'll also go heavy after OL free agents. I could see us going after any of these guys: Sebastian Vollmer, Long, Clady, Duane Brown, and Andre Smith.

I'd like to try to go after Conner Barwin or maybe Cliff Avril.

these are all based off of what I've read are currently scheduled to be free agents after this year, but there will be others we don't currently know about who could be cut due to cap restraints.

I personally have no interest in Wes Welker. Guy is definitely towards the back end of his career and would be a stop-gap only. Why take away playing time from the young receivers we brought in and stunt their development? Not worth it in my opinion.

A team always has room for it's best player. Long is Miami's best player. And Clady is Denver's security blanket for Manning. It's inconceivable either will be allowed to leave for nothing.

As for Vollmer, Long, Clady, Brown and Andre Smith.... the only one I see being allowed to walk is Smith. Mr. Man Boobs himself. Look him up on YouTube if you don't know the reference. The rest I think will be kept by their teams. I don't think any of them will ever receiver an offer from another team.

If, by some small miracle, they're released, then, I'm all in. Pushing my chips to the center of the table. Color me interested.

I just don't see it happening. Nor do I understand why others here do?

I'd like Barwin, and/or Spenceer from Dallas. But while I also like Avril, he's a 4-3 DE. I don't think he fits well into our system. Think he goes elsewhere if Detroit can't keep him.

I think Welker is worth a few years. Not more than 3, but I'd offer more than one. I think he's worth it. Hilton and Brazil can be our 3rd and 4th receivers until then. There are other receivers out there I'm keeping an eye on. Time to talk about them is down the road.

DRC is a very interesting call by you. I'd like him and the Grigson connection makes it seem possible. Also, keep Powers as our 3rd corner and now you've got a top flight trio of corners. That would make me very happy! But, will DRC be willing to come to Indy? Maybe. But, I'd certainly explore it.

Finally.... there appears to be common perception out here that there will be lots of good OL available this coming FA period.

I'm of the exact opposite view. If the OL is good, a team is just not going to let them get away for free. You find a way to keep them.

So, I think when FA finally rolls around lots of Colt's fans are going to be disappointed at the pickings available to us. Very disappointed. Hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not. :peek::hide:

Welker is a difference maker. Period... ask NE and Brady. He will be 32, and BB does not want him. GET HIM JIM.

He is a way proven commodity. And is STILL playing at a high level.

"nice fit for Collie?" really? He would be an All Pro Upgrade.

Calm down, Big Fella...

Just a figure of speech. The nice fit reference was simply Collie is a slot receiver, and so is Welker. That is all I was referencing. And again, you noted he's 32. You can get old fast in the NFL. So, again, I don't want to offer more than 3 years. And if someone else does want to.... well then.... so be it.

I really don't see any of them except Talib, and maybe Spencer leaving their teams.

Only person on that list I would touch is Glenn Dorsey.

Victor Cruz will NOT leave the Giants, and if he does I hope we stay away. He wont be anywhere near worth the contract he's going to want, IMO.

I also don't really want Wes Welker...he's good, but at 32 he wont be worth a big contract either.