Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis or Josh Gordon?

Superman

Josh Gordon or Vontae Davis  

69 members have voted

1. 1. In exchange for our 2013 2nd rounder, who would you rather have?

• Davis
    • Gordon

Before the supplemental draft, many of us debated whether we should put in a claim for Josh Gordon. He was a talented prospect at receiver, and the reason he was in the supplemental draft is because he had some disciplinary issues in college. But there was never a question about his talent. He's got elite size and near-elite speed. Having gotten an up close look at Gordon, he's definitely worthy of the pick the Browns gave up for him.

I personally wasn't very interested in grabbing him, for two reasons: first of all, we had just drafted two receivers, and had Austin Collie on the roster. I considered the receiver position to be the deepest on the team, and didn't think Gordon was worth either a future draft pick any higher than the 4th round or a roster spot, given our other needs on the team. I think it's pretty clear that I was wrong on both counts. Not only is Collie out for the year (hindsight, so not really fair, but still), and probably off the team after this season is up, but our young guys have struggled. More importantly, Gordon has been phenomenal, showing that he is a definite big play prospect and has the makings of a good player for a long time. And he's impressed on a bad team with a questionable quarterback situation (even though Weeden has looked good the past two or three weeks). There's no question Gordon is worth a future 2nd rounder, and there's no question we could use him on our team at this point.

Had we put in a 2nd round claim like the Browns did, we would have been awarded Gordon, based on last year's draft position. And at this point, our 2nd rounder would be considerably lower than the Browns. However, during camp, we traded that 2nd rounder for Davis.

Here's what the real question is: If you had to choose between Gordon or Vontae Davis, who would you choose?

Then? Davis.

Now? Prolly Gordon. I expected Gordon to come in and struggle and actually see very little PT. He wasn't a WR I was in love with coming out of college and I wouldn't have been ok at the time of the supplemental draft giving up a 2nd for him. But now, it looks like we may have missed on a good receiver.

Davis... Meh. He's been pretty invisible since he got here...

Easy Vontae Davis. Without Davis our secondary would be getting torched with Justin King as our #2 corner. And we still have Wayne for 3 years which gives us time to find another #1 receiver

Ehh. Cassius Vaughn has outplayed King, to the point that King isn't even on the roster anymore.

Then? Davis.

Now? Prolly Gordon. I expected Gordon to come in and struggle and actually see very little PT. He wasn't a WR I was in love with coming out of college and I wouldn't have been ok at the time of the supplemental draft giving up a 2nd for him. But now, it looks like we may have missed on a good receiver.

He's barely played, and when he did (before this game) he was still transitioning to a new city, town, team, teammates, coaches, scheme, you name it. NTM Davis played very well today.

Then? Davis.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not.

Anyway, I would rather have an invisible CB than one getting a whole lot of attention. It means that he is shutting down the other team's best WR.

Ehh. Cassius Vaughn has outplayed King, to the point that King isn't even on the roster anymore.

That took 3 games though. That's 3 games of King being torched. Then moved to nickel back after 3rd game and torched some more. Since the Bears game Davis has limited his side of the field to 40yrds or less receiving a game

Vontae...

The guy is pretty much taking his side of the field away. We all pretty much knew what we were getting from him before he got here as he already had experience. With Gordon you're pretty much just looking at potential and we've already got that in Avery, Hilton, and Brazill. We needed major help at DB, not so much at WR. I think the Colts made the right decision.

Then? Davis.

being invisible for a corner is not a bad thing it means they aren't throwing on your side of the field which means your guy isn't open which means you are doing your job.

That took 3 games though. That's 3 games of King being torched. Then moved to nickel back after 3rd game and torched some more. Since the Bears game Davis has limited his side of the field to 40yrds or less receiving a game

Well it really took King being hurt and them having to playing Vaughn and them watching him playing a great against Aaron Rodgers for them to realize Vaughn was much better than King.

This must be a joke... These days WR are like running backs any one of them can play once you have a good QB..... Unlike a CB where you never know what your gonna get but with Davis you know your gonna get good production.

The Colts will be using those picks to sure up the defense so they might have as well started on a sure thing

I can't imagine why anyone would want Gordon more. Davis has honestly been pretty good. I know in the game where he got those 2 PI's a lot of fans gave up on him and just assumed we wasted the pick. I completely disagree. I still stand by that Davis is much better than every other corner on our roster. Powers is okay, but was completely pwned today by the Browns.....let me say again. Powers got completely pwned by the Browns. Seriously. Every one of their receivers was beating up on him.

Davis? the only play I remember him giving up was a quick little slant where his assignment had him playing off.

Now, I know..."Our secondary played wonderfully against the Packers and Davis wasn't even in the game!!!" Clearly, we caught lightning in a bottle and got GB on a very bad day there...

Without Davis our defense would be even more pitiful than it already is...>.> I pick Davis over Gordon...even though I think Gordon is gonna be a solid receiver in the NFL.

Before the supplemental draft, many of us debated whether we should put in a claim for Josh Gordon. He was a talented prospect at receiver, and the reason he was in the supplemental draft is because he had some disciplinary issues in college. But there was never a question about his talent. He's got elite size and near-elite speed. Having gotten an up close look at Gordon, he's definitely worthy of the pick the Browns gave up for him.

I personally wasn't very interested in grabbing him, for two reasons: first of all, we had just drafted two receivers, and had Austin Collie on the roster. I considered the receiver position to be the deepest on the team, and didn't think Gordon was worth either a future draft pick any higher than the 4th round or a roster spot, given our other needs on the team. I think it's pretty clear that I was wrong on both counts. Not only is Collie out for the year (hindsight, so not really fair, but still), and probably off the team after this season is up, but our young guys have struggled. More importantly, Gordon has been phenomenal, showing that he is a definite big play prospect and has the makings of a good player for a long time. And he's impressed on a bad team with a questionable quarterback situation (even though Weeden has looked good the past two or three weeks). There's no question Gordon is worth a future 2nd rounder, and there's no question we could use him on our team at this point.

Had we put in a 2nd round claim like the Browns did, we would have been awarded Gordon, based on last year's draft position. And at this point, our 2nd rounder would be considerably lower than the Browns. However, during camp, we traded that 2nd rounder for Davis.

Here's what the real question is: If you had to choose between Gordon or Vontae Davis, who would you choose?

The supplemental draft works a bit different than what I think you are assuming above. I never saw nor can I find anything now that gives what the order was. It a weighted system where the Colts and the other 9 NFL teams pick for the first 10 positions. The Colts would have had 32 chances , the Rams 31, the Vikes 30 and the Browns 29 and so on. Then the next 10 teams go into the lottery for picks 11-20. I give the link to a compete explanation if I didn't make that clear. Maybe you saw the order and know we would have been ahead of the Browns ?

http://www.fieldgull...e-more-you-know

The supplemental draft works a bit different than what I think you are assuming above. I never saw nor can I find anything now that gives what the order was. It a weighted system where the Colts and the other 9 NFL teams pick for the first 10 positions. The Colts would have had 32 chances , the Rams 31, the Vikes 30 and the Browns 29 and so on. Then the next 10 teams go into the lottery for picks 11-20. I give the link to a compete explanation if I didn't make that clear. Maybe you saw the order and know we would have been ahead of the Browns ?

http://www.fieldgull...e-more-you-know

You're right. I don't think I saw the order, I just assumed. Forgot about the whole lottery process, and I don't think the NFL publishes that order.

Considering 1/2 the board was clamoring incorrectly for a CB to be taken above Offensive & Defensive Line, I'd suspect this poll would be a route.

With that said, we did need a CB more than a WR. So...

It is a rout so far. Davis over Gordon, 42 to 4. With so many complaining about Davis the past month, I'm surprised.

Either way, I do think Gordon looks like a future #1, the kind of guy we ought to be on the look out for. But right now, we needed Davis more, and he's performed at a high level when he's been on the field.

Then? Davis.

You didn't expect for a WR to go to a Team that DESPERATELY needs WR's & get a lot of PT? I already knew he'd get PT, that's why they took him so high.

And I'll take Invisible Davis OVER Invisible Gordon. Doubt Gordon gets PT over any of our WR's

It is a rout so far. Davis over Gordon, 42 to 4. With so many complaining about Davis the past month, I'm surprised.

Either way, I do think Gordon looks like a future #1, the kind of guy we ought to be on the look out for. But right now, we needed Davis more, and he's performed at a high level when he's been on the field.

I did read that the Colts were one of the interested teams and I agree with you that he looks like a number 1. But if you take me back to the supplemental draft and say next year's 2nd for either Davis or Gordon , I'd go Davis. Especially considering we wiffed on the DB's in the draft and did select 2 WR's.

Wasn't it a 3rd round claim

Powers is okay, but was completely pwned today by the Browns.....let me say again. Powers got completely pwned by the Browns. Seriously. Every one of their receivers was beating up on him.

1st catch- 7 yard screen to little

2nd catch- 11 yard rub (or pick) to Cooper

3rd catch-34 yd td to gordon but in all fairness to Powers he had excellent coverage and it was just a great play by gordon and weeden.

4th catch 11 yard hook to Little. Once again, excellent coverage just a great throw/catch.

5th catch 13 yard drag to cooper. Cooper beat powers on this play. period.

*side note* powers breaks up a pass on 4th down. Which turned out to seal the game.

So thats a total of 5 catches 76 yards. It also worth mentioning that Powers was in man coverage with the slot a majority of the game. Which from personal experience I can tell you is much more difficult. At corner you got the sideline which is your best friend at slot the receiver can run a variety of routes plus its easy to get caught up in traffic.

So in my opinion was he "beat up on"? no. Did he dominate the game? no. He gave up a big play but it wasnt like he flat out got burned, he was right there and contested it just didnt quite make the play. But besides that he only gave up short passes, which is fine. And when the game was on the line made the play to seal it. So I really dont get all this hate.

I'd take a good CB over a good WR. With a QB like Luck, he can make a good WR look great. Not only that, but we got lots of WR depth with Wayne, Hilton, Brazill, Avery, and two solid TEs. Not to mention Collie will (hopefully) be coming back healthy next year. A good corner is very difficult to find and they don't really depend on anyone else like a good WR does. I'd rather have Revis on my team than Calvin Johnson. Calvin needs someone to throw him the ball and that someone needs a good offensive line to protect him. Revis, you just tell him to cover the opponent's best WR and that's all.

1st catch- 7 yard screen to little

2nd catch- 11 yard rub (or pick) to Cooper

3rd catch-34 yd td to gordon but in all fairness to Powers he had excellent coverage and it was just a great play by gordon and weeden.

4th catch 11 yard hook to Little. Once again, excellent coverage just a great throw/catch.

5th catch 13 yard drag to cooper. Cooper beat powers on this play. period.

*side note* powers breaks up a pass on 4th down. Which turned out to seal the game.

So thats a total of 5 catches 76 yards. It also worth mentioning that Powers was in man coverage with the slot a majority of the game. Which from personal experience I can tell you is much more difficult. At corner you got the sideline which is your best friend at slot the receiver can run a variety of routes plus its easy to get caught up in traffic.

So in my opinion was he "beat up on"? no. Did he dominate the game? no. He gave up a big play but it wasnt like he flat out got burned, he was right there and contested it just didnt quite make the play. But besides that he only gave up short passes, which is fine. And when the game was on the line made the play to seal it. So I really dont get all this hate.

He got smoked on the pass that Gordon dropped in the end zone. Other than that, he was pretty good all game long. He was right there on the first touchdown to Gordon, and just couldn't get his hands up to make a play. Coverage was fine, but a good throw and good catch made him look bad.

Colts couldn't go wrong with either guy for a second rounder. Davis has come in and become our #1 CB and has greatly helped the D. Considering our lack of depth at corner, the pickup was huge. Gordon would have been a great get for a second rounder as well. He would be our #2 receiver with opposing teams having to account for him all the time. His presence on the field would proably also help open things up for our TE. Either guy is well worth a second rounder. to quote Paul K form ESPN, "draft picks are always over rated".