Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

nobody should be stunned-some random thoughts.....

Jules

This is especially true on 3rd down. Far too often on 3rd and short the past two weeks, he's been looking 10-15 yards down the field. Give him some easy, quick release throws on 3rd down. I'm not down on Arians, but he's not Manning when it comes to play calling.

Aren't you the guy who was calling for Luck to throw 90% of the time a few weeks ago?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH!!! the Jets are now a threat for the number one seed after this win SOMEONE on espn will say that. Some one will also say the jets should never punt again as well.

Well as crazy as it might sound if the Jets beat the Pats next Sunday they are in first place in the AFC East. ESPN is just doing what ESPN does over reacting to the NOW with very little thought to the situations of what is going on.

This is especially true on 3rd down. Far too often on 3rd and short the past two weeks, he's been looking 10-15 yards down the field. Give him some easy, quick release throws on 3rd down. I'm not down on Arians, but he's not Manning when it comes to play calling.

I agree I did NOT like the play calling today on third down and frankly most of the game. At times I thought they did too much to take it out of the hands of Luck by running a lot when they were down 28-6 or heck even kicking a field goal when it was 28-6 with almost a whole quarter to play. I also thought when they were down 21-6 with the ball across the field facing a third and 2 they made some huge mistakes play calling. They had run the ball two straight plays to get those eight years. Why not at least line up in a running formation and not out of the shotgun there and at least make the Jets think about the run? Then on top of that I think i would have honestly thought about going for it there. Your offense had not being moving the ball well all day and you had a decent drive going but they punted and the Jets went 80 yards for a TD that really put the game away. If it didn't the decision to kick a field goal when they were down 28-6 really did.

As for the going deep I don't have a problem there as long as you are committed to going for it on fourth down. If you aren't then it's silly unless all the underneath passes are covered which they might have very well been. The Jets aren't dumb they know the Colts need say five yards for a first down so of course they are going to sit on those pass routes and take their chances by making the Colts go deep.

All and all I think it's fair to question the play calling today.

Today was a litmus test and we went on the road after a big emotional win and got our butts handed to us. Hopefully this will put the kabosh on the premature playoff talk. We are a young team still learning what it takes to win in this league and expectations should be set accordingly.

just our luck we get blown out by the jets we lost freeney again mathis is out brown is out and now the browns actually look like a good team with weedon throwing two tds I honestly don't see how we beat them with freeney and mathis potentially being out. weedon will have all day to throw richardson will prob rush for 200 yards and 3 tds

They have they tried to stick with the run how long today even though it was clear it was not producing the results they needed. They also called up a lot of short passes and screens today. I don't know what else you can do to take less off his shoulders if they don't have other things they can lean on namely the ground game.

The colts were gaining good yards on the ground until they were forced (and I say that lightly) to pass the ball. Ever since paganos absence the colts have been more run...

One thing that got the colts back into the packers game was running the football, facing a 31st rushing defense? That should have been a must

Exactly. Luck was awful in touch passes and really has been all year but I have faith he will prevail with time in and extreme dedication.

Luck will be a great qb but his accuracy won't be his strength in the NFL, they need to balance the team for luck... that's how he flourished in college and arians is going away from that.

I was the opposite of that guy. Thanks for inquiring.

BTW, do you ever post anything of substance on this forum?

Aren't you cute. I've got nothing to prove to you. Answer your own question by doing some reading... If that's a skill you possess yet.

Luck will be a great qb but his accuracy won't be his strength in the NFL, they need to balance the team for luck... that's how he flourished in college and arians is going away from that.

excellent point and I been saying it from game 1

The colts were gaining good yards on the ground until they were forced (and I say that lightly) to pass the ball. Ever since paganos absence the colts have been more run...

One thing that got the colts back into the packers game was running the football, facing a 31st rushing defense? That should have been a must

Enh I think they have stuck with the run about the same in all these games. 17 runs today, 30 in the Packers game, 29 in the Jags game, 30 in the Vikings game, and 15 in the Bears game. So the two games they were forced to go away from the run they ran it about the same number of times 17 in one 15 in the other. The three games that have been close it's been about the same all around 30. So I don't think the number of runs has really changed without Pagano largely because it's the same guy calling the plays either way in Arians.

Aren't you cute. I've got nothing to prove to you. Answer your own question by doing some reading... If that's a skill you possess yet.

I remember you now... The person arguing for Grif to make the team, arguing vehemently against several posters who wanted to see Grif make the team... Ah yes, that's exactly the person who ought to be challenging my contributions...

Yes, you need to build a balanced team for Luck to be successful. I don't see you winning Manning-style with him. He can certainly be successful, but from what I've seen to date, I would be more inclined to build it Steelers/Ravens-style than Colts/Saints-style.

Enh I think they have stuck with the run about the same in all these games. 17 runs today, 30 in the Packers game, 29 in the Jags game, 30 in the Vikings game, and 15 in the Bears game. So the two games they were forced to go away from the run they ran it about the same number of times 17 in one 15 in the other. The three games that have been close it's been about the same all around 30. So I don't think the number of runs has really changed without Pagano largely because it's the same guy calling the plays either way in Arians.

I think the point is the games the colts were close in they tried to run the ball regardless..... its evident arians wants to go away from the run from how he started the packers game and the amount of balls thrown in the 1st halfs.

Slowing down the game is the best bet for a rookie, if ppl are willing to give him the benefit of a doubt because he's such a great qb and give him the whole playbook to work with then he should be getting the blame instead of being called a rookie.

Falcons

49ers

Texans

Previous Giants....

The colts will never be as good as teams like that if they do not strive for balance

I think the point is the games the colts were close in they tried to run the ball regardless..... its evident arians wants to go away from the run from how he started the packers game and the amount of balls thrown in the 1st halfs.

Slowing down the game is the best bet for a rookie, if ppl are willing to give him the benefit of a doubt because he's such a great qb and give him the whole playbook to work with then he should be getting the blame instead of being called a rookie.

Falcons

49ers

Texans

Previous Giants....

The colts will never be as good as teams like that if they do not strive for balance

Yes but you have to be able to produce results with it. Being down 21-6 and 2.4 yards per carry isn't going to cut it. If they can get the YPC up I am sure they would use it a lot more.

The games that have been close they have strived for balance. They want to run the ball but when it's not effective it's not effective.

Yes, you need to build a balanced team for Luck to be successful. I don't see you winning Manning-style with him. He can certainly be successful, but from what I've seen to date, I would be more inclined to build it Steelers/Ravens-style than Colts/Saints-style.

5 games in....really?

They want to be balanced in order to be balanced though the run game has to produce more than a 2.4 YPC when you go to it though and you have to stop getting down 21-6 and 21-3 at half-time.

In order to be balanced, it would help to have:

1. an Oline with more talent and cohesion

2. an offense in general with more experience that has played together long enough to be on the same page

3. a D that can keep getting the ball back into the hands of the O without letting the score get out of hand.

Not much to be done with 1 or 3 this year, under the constraints of this year's budget, but we can hope all the youth on offense starts to develop into some very intriguing chemistry. I doubt we'll see much true balance, but we may get some occassional magic.

just our luck we get blown out by the jets we lost freeney again mathis is out brown is out and now the browns actually look like a good team with weedon throwing two tds I honestly don't see how we beat them with freeney and mathis potentially being out. weedon will have all day to throw richardson will prob rush for 200 yards and 3 tds

Yeah and last week the Colts actually looked like a good team. It might not mean much, especially since the Browns are also starting over with a new QB as well and could be up and down.i

I am actually glad the Browns won so they would not be searching for that first win vs. the Colts too. Also, they beat a divisional opponent. It usually never stuns me either when this happens. Divisional games can be a toss up.

I do like our chances at home a lot better though then any road game. So far this team seems to have handled home games well. Two blowout losses on the road though.

Of course beating the Browns is not a guarantee but so far this team has at least bounced back from losses well.

Yes but you have to be able to produce results with it. Being down 21-6 and 2.4 yards per carry isn't going to cut it. If they can get the YPC up I am sure they would use it a lot more.

The games that have been close they have strived for balance. They want to run the ball but when it's not effective it's not effective.

The best way to get better is to keep grinding at it, it didn't help luck either that his other receivers didn't step up... Wayne can't be the only scape goat.

As the OP said, what did you guys expect? I had a conversation with a fellow on here weeks ago about how I don't expect us to win (and don't want us to for obvious reasons) and this is why. WE'RE NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM. Let me say that again, WE ARE NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM! We are not built like one and we are not built for one. Some of us are not surprised that we got it handed to us today. To put it simple, we need almot EVERYTHING! Better line on both sides, better front 7, better FS, better 3rd CB, better DE's (Freeney and Mathis are good, but we need ends who can play the run and pass, not just pass). If we can make a splash in FA, have a good DEFENSIVE draft, and have our players develop, we will be a playoff team next year. But this year, just enjoy the ride.

All I can say is, when we start to play better teams, expect it to get worse. The GB win was an emotional win.

The successful run of Peyton has spoiled some of us....

The best way to get better is to keep grinding at it, it didn't help luck either that his other receivers didn't step up... Wayne can't be the only scape goat.

I don't disagree that the receivers didn't step up. The only who did today was Fleener which is kinda ironic today since the problem was drops. I think everyone else had at least one drop.

They did keep trying to grind at it. It was the middle of the third quarter and they were still trying to run the ball. Heck even in the fourth quarter they tried to run it and it got blow up. At some point though the score and times forces you to throw the ball if you want to try to win the game. It's what happened in the Bears game and it's what happened again today. The other three games they have stuck with it.

Step 1 : become competetive

Step 2 : win winnable games

Lotta times being competetive means just taking what the D is giving you , and not shooting yourself in the foot by forcing things . Mistakes are there to learn from - it's not the mistakes you make that hurt you , as long as you learn from them and don't repeat them . Many guys need to learn from what happened today .

That said ..... there are several winnable games coming up , As long as this team starts with step 1 , it can go from there . Stay in the game and make a few plays at the right time .

It's a long steep hill . Sometimes you go straight , sometimes you just go sideways , sometimes you fall roll backwards and take a few bruises ..... but you keep getting up . And in time you get there .

This team so far does truly show signs of youth and inexperience. They don't follow up wins with good performances. In two road games have been blown out.

They will learn though. And even if they do learn there are going to be games we still lose due to lack of talent and experience in key areas.

They will have to move on from it and try to get to 3-3 at home next weekend vs. another rookie QB.

The Browns game is a game we really need.......

I also miss Pagano too.

this year is exactly what it is i sit in colts chats during every game many people get upset at their gameplay but they have to realize this is a young team besides a few vets we are going to take our lickings and fans just have to be able to understand that

They have they tried to stick with the run how long today even though it was clear it was not producing the results they needed. They also called up a lot of short passes and screens today. I don't know what else you can do to take less off his shoulders if they don't have other things they can lean on namely the ground game.

I'm sorry I just don't see it. I don't believe in Vic Ballard. I'm not saying anything about the offensive line, there were enough opportunities to move the chains in my opinion. Ballard has not proven he can make any plays. I feel like the OL gave him enough room to do something on more than one occasion. He either did not choose the right hole or he could not stay on his feet long enough to get to the right place. I did not see where it was the fault of the OL. I think if Donald Brown played, he would have taken advantage of some of those opportunities to move the chains. Carter did ok, but there was not enough from him either.

I'm also sick of watching us passing the ball on the goal line. One of these backs needs to be able to punch it in.

I thought the Colts would be a little flat today after such an emotional win at home last week but I didn't think they would play this bad. Little things, like the pass that was high to Fleener on the first drive, that was looking like a nice opening drive,, Fleener was open and had some room to run, that really hurt, then the high pass to Fleener wide open in the end zone took away another touchdown, we had a chance to go up big in the first quarter and even after these two drive killers I felt good about how we were playing but, that all changed quickly. The fake punt was a backbreaker. Even at the half I felt like we had shown enough to believe we had a chance if the defense could force a couple of 3 and outs and the defense did, we just never could get the offense back in rythm and when, we looked like we were going to, we would shoot ourselves in the foot. The missed toucdown to Avery and the collapse of the defense in the secound half just put the nail in the coffin. The missed opportunities in the first couple of drives could have really changed the momentum of the game, a young team on the road has to take advantage of such situations or the game can just spirals out of control as it did. This team is just to you young to turn the ball over 3 or 4 times on the road and beat anybody. All the playoff talk is a little premature as much as I wish we were playoff caliber, it will take beating some decent teams on the road to reach this level.I just hope we can keep improving as a team and I'm sure we will, maybe even upset someone on the road which would be a big confidence builder for this young team. I'm still exited about this team and their going to be fun to watch and we are definetly headed in the right direction, today was a tough loss and puts our hopes in the proper perspective. This team is going to do great things, if not this season, definetly in the coming seasons, the future is bright and I'am exited about the rest of this season and seasons to come. "GO COLTS"

I'll take the mediocrity of this season over the dumpster fire that was 2011. We're getting better guys. I know this week seemed like a regression, but keep in mind that young teams struggle most on the road. I would think that we'll continue to struggle mightily whilst traveling.

I really am starting to miss Pagano. Sigh. I hope he can come back from all this too. Getting Pagano back cancer free would mean more then any wins.

Imagine this team NEXT year with Pagano back and a good draft and some FA signings plus a year of experience with Luck.

I really am starting to miss Pagano. Sigh. I hope he can come back from all this too. Getting Pagano back cancer free would mean more then any wins.

Imagine this team NEXT year with Pagano back and a good draft and some FA signings plus a year of experience with Luck.

Darn it, Jules, STOP it already!

You have about 8 posts in this thread, and I have 'liked' about half of them! :thmup:

Enough is enough!! Give someone else a chance to make a good post, will you?!?! :worthy:

XOXO

In order to be balanced, it would help to have:

1. an Oline with more talent and cohesion

2. an offense in general with more experience that has played together long enough to be on the same page

3. a D that can keep getting the ball back into the hands of the O without letting the score get out of hand.

Not much to be done with 1 or 3 this year, under the constraints of this year's budget, but we can hope all the youth on offense starts to develop into some very intriguing chemistry. I doubt we'll see much true balance, but we may get some occasional magic.

*slam* *slam* *slam*....Order!...........Order in the court! *slam* *slam* *slam*

Read the above statement. It contains truth, not emotion. Our defense was thin to start the season. We have incurred injuries at our thinnest positions. The team we faced today is built to demolish teams who are weak at the positions we are challenged at. Especially in their stadium.

For what its worth, I dont think there are too many wishy washy fans who go back and forth. I think we have the "overreact and predict unrealistic assessments" crowd who come out after a surprise victory, and then the "I told you so, we suck" crowd who comes out after a game like today.

It's called parity, people. Teams are so close in talent and preparation, that just a few injuries, heavy emotion, and luck of the ball bounce can make the same team look terrible and outstanding.

Climb back up from the tip of the kite tail and latch yourself on to the back of the kite. The ride is more stable, and although it won't make you scream with glee, it also wont make you scream with fear.

Darn it, Jules, STOP it already!

You have about 8 posts in this thread, and I have 'liked' about half of them! :thmup:

Enough is enough!! Give someone else a chance to make a good post, will you?!?! :worthy:

XOXO

I think this is a good post by the forum uncle in another thread:

Nothing has changed..

At the start of the year..I think ALL of us thought we'd beat Jax and Minnesota and lose to GB, NY and the Bears....to be 2-3

We are exactly where we should be at 2-3. We had a bad day. Hopefully nobody else got hurt

Keep hope alive.

BTW can we relocate to the NFC? We seem to do better vs. them so far. :headspin: Lions are so doomed on Thanksgiving. :banana:

*slam* *slam* *slam*....Order!...........Order in the court! *slam* *slam* *slam*

Read the above statement. It contains truth, not emotion. Our defense was thin to start the season. We have incurred injuries at our thinnest positions. The team we faced today is built to demolish teams who are weak at the positions we are challenged at. Especially in their stadium.

For what its worth, I dont think there are too many wishy washy fans who go back and forth. I think we have the "overreact and predict unrealistic assessments" crowd who come out after a surprise victory, and then the "I told you so, we suck" crowd who comes out after a game like today.

It's called parity, people. Teams are so close in talent and preparation, that just a few injuries, heavy emotion, and luck of the ball bounce can make the same team look terrible and outstanding.

Climb back up from the tip of the kite tail and latch yourself on to the back of the kite. The ride is more stable, and although it won't make you scream with glee, it also wont make you scream with fear.

So true warhorsey. I have said a million times this season I am glad I am not picking games. SO many are just toss ups. Heck look at the darling Falcons today, did Ryan have 3 picks and they had to scrape it out vs....the Raiders? In Atlanta?

I get too high with the highs too but last week did stun me (the comeback) but today I was hoping for another again (a comeback). But, how many dramatic comebacks can I expect? Sigh.

Don't look now but the Browns are killing the Bengals, played competitively before against the Ravens. No gimme next weekend, not that this team is good enough to look past anyone.Jerry Hughes did play well though.

I agree. It's no guarantee we will beat the Browns. They seem better than the Jaguars honestly.