Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't we play a prevent defense on Jags final TD?

ReMeDy

I believe it was about 1 minute left, Jaguars at our 20. There was no possibility for the Jags to run the ball, especially knowing Jones-Drew went 3-and-out on the last drive, so why were the Colts defenders playing man and I believe there was only two safeties deep. If we had more guys in the backfield, we could have let Gabbert throw underneath, then get an easy tackle.

Blaine Gabbert is a young (and imo a poor) QB who can't make accurate sideline throws with a lack of receiving talent, so take what Gabbert gives you middle of the field and play the deep ball.

Makes no sense to me why the Colts played so close.

It's a tough spot to be in because if they go prevent it lets the Jags move down the field and set up for a long field goal against and as we have seen first hand the Jags kicker is great at kicking the game winning field goals against the Colts. You know it's funny for years under Dungy/Caldwell Colts complained that they played prevent in these situations and let the other team move down the field for a long game winning field goal. Now Pagano does exactly what fans have been saying the Colts should do for years and he gets burned and people are still mad. This is just classic if what you did didn't work you should have done the exact opposite.

You know it's funny for years under Dungy/Caldwell Colts complained that they played prevent in these situations and let the other team move down the field for a long game winning field goal. Now Pagano does exactly what fans have been saying the Colts should do for years and he gets burned and people are still mad. This is just classic if what you did didn't work you should have done the exact opposite.

This is kind of different though. It was an obvious pass play situation. Jags had 1 timeout at most under 1 minute backed up to the 20-yd line. Colts should have conceded underneath throws and play the deep ball. The worst that should have happened was a few 15-yd completions, not a TD.

Also, I know Scobee is a beast at those long kicks, but I'd rather the Jags win the game on a 50+yd FG try than giving up a cheap easy TD. Although I don't speak for all Colts fans :D.

This is kind of different though. It was an obvious pass play situation. Jags had 1 timeout at most under 1 minute backed up to the 20-yd line. Colts should have conceded underneath throws and play the deep ball. The worst that should have happened was a few 15-yd completions, not a TD.

Also, I know Scobee is a beast at those long kicks, but I'd rather the Jags win the game on a 50+yd FG try than giving up a cheap easy TD. Although I don't speak for all Colts fans :D.

I am pretty sure most fans would be just as mad if Scobee hit a 50+ yard field goal to win the game as they are now because they are mad that the Colts lost not so much how they lost. The only thing different would be that people would be upset that we played "prevent to win" and would be screaming the coaches cost us the game because they didn't stay aggressive on defense.

I can only assume we don't actually have safeties (yeah yeah, I love Bethea too). But on MJD's long run, it seemed like the second he broke through the line, he was past the entire defense. On the last TD pass, a 9 yard completion seemed to be past the entire defense. I love the idea of more aggressive defense, but I couldn't believe how easy the end of those 2 pedestrian plays were

I believe it was about 1 minute left, Jaguars at our 20. There was no possibility for the Jags to run the ball, especially knowing Jones-Drew went 3-and-out on the last drive, so why were the Colts defenders playing man and I believe there was only two safeties deep. If we had more guys in the backfield, we could have let Gabbert throw underneath, then get an easy tackle.

Blaine Gabbert is a young (and imo a poor) QB who can't make accurate sideline throws with a lack of receiving talent, so take what Gabbert gives you middle of the field and play the deep ball.

Makes no sense to me why the Colts played so close.

I thought we did have two deep safeties....but our nickel guy got lost and he split them .

Funny..where he caught that ball is where pat Angerer has been dropping in the Tampa 2 for 2 years..right?

Agreed...for years we've seen the Jags pick us apart by the "death by 1,000 papercuts" prevent shell we go into in these types of scenarios. And the first time we don't try it? BLASPHEMY!!! It comes down to this. Sergio Brown, who had taken maybe 1 snap before that play, was in the game. He's a backup. Davis and another DB (can't remember but had SOME experience) being out forced the Colts into him playing. They tried to bring the heat and force Gabbart into a bad throw. Let's face it, he hadn't really been lighting it up all day and missed badly on several throws. They got lucky on a blown assignment. I am sick about the play, but I don't fault the coaches for going after Gabbart instead of letting him dink and dunk until Scooby is in range, which is around the helmet logo against us!

It's a tough spot to be in because if they go prevent it lets the Jags move down the field and set up for a long field goal against and as we have seen first hand the Jags kicker is great at kicking the game winning field goals against the Colts. You know it's funny for years under Dungy/Caldwell Colts complained that they played prevent in these situations and let the other team move down the field for a long game winning field goal. Now Pagano does exactly what fans have been saying the Colts should do for years and he gets burned and people are still mad. This is just classic if what you did didn't work you should have done the exact opposite.

This is a much different circumstance and you know it. They had no TO's, less than a minute to go, needed to go at least 50 yards for a chance to win . This is a situation where you most definitely play prevent. Some player should be sent packing for that, it is completely inexusable. i have never seen that happen in this kind of situation.

This is a much different circumstance and you know it. They had no TO's, less than a minute to go, needed to go at least 50 yards for a chance to win . This is a situation where you most definitely play prevent. Some player should be sent packing for that, it is completely inexusable. i have never seen that happen in this kind of situation.

Not really the game that jumped into my mind was the Jags game in 08 when it was almost the exact same situation and the Colts played it soft and guess what happened? The Jags milked the clock and sent Scobee out to drill a game winner against us.

I got an idea. When we play the Jags and get the lead do whatever it takes to leave them NO time.

And I mean NO TIME. :hissy:

I don't care if you have Luck, Manning or Dan Marino at QB. Those suckers always find ways to steal wins for us. :cuss:

Heck we even tried to do what they do and play without a QB last year and that still didn't work...

Heck we even tried to do what they do and play without a QB last year and that still didn't work...

Of course the Jags will now go and lose to every other team. But, when they play the Colts they THRIVE. And really this should not have happened, I thought when we got the lead we might keep building.

But, no. They thrived. In Jaguars vs Colts fashion.

Thats why I shake my head when we lose to the Jags since it just seems too predictable at times. :hissy: And sometimes I don't even fully judge the Colts based on how they play vs. the Jags since it often happens that we implode.

You know what Remedy, that's a really good point.

The Colts played a Cover 2 on that play which kinda opens up the middle of the field. It's either the cornerback stops the receiver or it's a touchdown and that was the case here. Sergio Brown didn't pick up the slot receiver like he was suppose to and that's why he beat him down the middle.

So here's what I agree on. They should have played a more containing defense. Maybe not a prevent because a field goal does win the game for the Jags, but a Cover 4 would have been perfect. Get the DBs back and have the backers in coverage too. It's not like MJD is going to get the ball.

So yes, the Cover 2 was wrong here and they should have played a more containing defense. The Colts wanted to play for the incompletion instead of the short/medium completion.

I am pretty sure most fans would be just as mad if Scobee hit a 50+ yard field goal to win the game as they are now because they are mad that the Colts lost not so much how they lost. The only thing different would be that people would be upset that we played "prevent to win" and would be screaming the coaches cost us the game because they didn't stay aggressive on defense.

Yes, I see your point.

But in all the other situations, Scobee's FG was the result of a timeout that the Jags had. The only other case where a REF could have made an impact is a PI call without a timeout. But knowing how it was officiated, we might have gotten a PI call in the middle of the field for a Scobee call.

But yes, the Cover 2, when played right, was built for that. Or a Cover 3, IMO. I'd rather lose on a 60 yarder from Scobee than a big play like this, especially when the Jags have no timeouts.

I have no problem with the coverage called. I have a BIG problem with the fact that Sergio Brown (honestly never heard of him before today and he played at Notre Dame) was covering one of their WRs for the 1 minute drill. I mean, he's a friggin Safety, not a Corner. I'm assuming we had Davis, Powers, and King out there. Why in God's name was Sergio Brown the Dime Back?!?!?! What happened to Gordy? Vaughn? That is my problem.

As far as not playing Prevent. There's nothing more frustrating then giving 25 yard cushions so they can pick you apart in 2 plays and let Scobee kick a 55 yarder to break your heart. Sometimes crap just happens.

I have no problem with the coverage called. I have a BIG problem with the fact that Sergio Brown (honestly never heard of him before today and he played at Notre Dame) was covering one of their WRs for the 1 minute drill. I mean, he's a friggin Safety, not a Corner. I'm assuming we had Davis, Powers, and King out there. Why in God's name was Sergio Brown the Dime Back?!?!?! What happened to Gordy? Vaughn? That is my problem.

As far as not playing Prevent. There's nothing more frustrating then giving 25 yard cushions so they can pick you apart in 2 plays and let Scobee kick a 55 yarder to break your heart. Sometimes crap just happens.

Vaughn was out there too we had two guys hurt in Davis and King that were out of the game. Not sure where Josh Gordy was.

Ahhh. I do seem to recall Davis getting hurt now that you mention it.

Well in that case we should cut Vontae. ;)

Found out where Josh Gordy was he was inactive for the game. I think they started Brown for special teams and didn't think they would lose two corners to injury. Unfortunately it happened.

You know what Remedy, that's a really good point.

The Colts played a Cover 2 on that play which kinda opens up the middle of the field. It's either the cornerback stops the receiver or it's a touchdown and that was the case here. Sergio Brown didn't pick up the slot receiver like he was suppose to and that's why he beat him down the middle.

So here's what I agree on. They should have played a more containing defense. Maybe not a prevent because a field goal does win the game for the Jags, but a Cover 4 would have been perfect. Get the DBs back and have the backers in coverage too. It's not like MJD is going to get the ball.

So yes, the Cover 2 was wrong here and they should have played a more containing defense. The Colts wanted to play for the incompletion instead of the short/medium completion.

Bethea is equally to blame for this. As the deep safety, he has to contain the middle of the field. He bit on a route by a receiver who was 20 yards away from him, in which Powers had completely covered. That took Bethea right out of position and Shorts goes right by him on the inside. As much as I hate to say this, but that was a good throw by Gabbert and an even better catch by Shorts. Had Bethea been in position, that pass is either an INT, broken up, or at the very least a tackle for Bethea. I expect Brown to do that due to his inexperience. I, however, am disappointed at Bethea for not helping out an inexperienced defender and blowing his coverage in which he's normally excellent at.

Of course the Jags will now go and lose to every other team. But, when they play the Colts they THRIVE. And really this should not have happened, I thought when we got the lead we might keep building.

But, no. They thrived. In Jaguars vs Colts fashion.

Thats why I shake my head when we lose to the Jags since it just seems too predictable at times. :hissy: And sometimes I don't even fully judge the Colts based on how they play vs. the Jags since it often happens that we implode.

Fans in the weening hours of the Baltimore era might remember the Colt's were 2-14 one year, they won their first and last games of the season against the Patriots,lol. I could see a similar scenario with the Jags.

If....if....if......

If we would've went for the actual TD instead of running 3 times in a row, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If Vinateiri would've made his first easy FG, then Jags would've had to go for the TD and maybe we would've played them a bit differently.

If I was a coach, I would've given my DB a little help up top knowing that since Davis went out, they are going to exploit his replacement.

We didn't deserve to win the way we play called and executed, and we didn't.